IGNORED

Ditch Bristol Sport

Dynamite Red

1 minute ago, bristolcitysweden said:

The basketball can stand on their own feets. So can the motorsport and the rugby, The football is not benefitting. We are total shit as it stands and don't need to drag other sports around. 

I`m sorry Tommy but this is so similar to the premier league`s attitude that we rightly criticise - I`m alright so **** the rest.

5 hours ago, Dynamite Red said:

SL was inspired by sporting club Barcelona, forgot Bristol Sport and bring it all under Bristol City.  If we are perceived to becoming one entity inevitably this seems the best conclusion. Sorry rugger buggers but better than being named after a Japanese 4x4.

Bristol City Football Club, Bristol City Rugby Club, Bristol City Flyers, Bristol City Women's Football, Bristol City Ladies Rugby, Bristol City Jets and Bristol City Racing.

There is no reason for the rugby club to be associated to BCFC just in the same way there is no reason to be associated with the Bristol Sport franchise brand. their identity is string by itself, the other sports could have been part of Bristol City sport headed by Bristol City.

was SL inspired by sporting club Barcelona? he has missed out the good bits including winning.

4 hours ago, Robbored said:

Bristol Sport fulfills its name perfectly. It encompass all the sports in Bristol and alleviates the financial stress that smaller sports have.

i have no problem with it at all.

I'd be delighted if BS included Bristol indoor Bowls club  based down South Liberty Lane. 

How do ya fancy bowling in the underside space earmarked for the doomed Dolman Market Street?

The Dolman would be the perfect location as host for a BS indoor bowling club facility ... geez, I can't believe its not been thought of already!

:) 

16 minutes ago, WhistleHappy said:

How do ya fancy bowling in the underside space earmarked for the doomed Dolman Market Street?

The Dolman would be the perfect location as host for a BS indoor bowling club facility ... geez, I can't believe its not been thought of already!

that is a radical idea WH !!   I'm impressed. Thinking outside the pub box is where we should be at.

32 minutes ago, bristolcitysweden said:

I truly dislike the concept of Bristol Sport and can't see it in anyway benefitting the football club apart from cost sharing. Sorry.

And what is wrong with cost sharing? Especially in the age of FFP.

13 minutes ago, Selred said:

And what is wrong with cost sharing? Especially in the age of FFP.

A separate brand does not have to be created to achieve this. The European models do not do this, and variants like Bayern where commercial activity is outsourced to another company (their own) that company is barely visible as a mere service provider to the football club and its associate sports which share one identity.   

1 hour ago, bristolcitysweden said:

I can't see the football benefit from the Bristol Sport project. We are the biggest sport limiting the lost of money. Cost sharing apart - in what way are we benefitting from Bristol Sport? When does the basketball, motorracing or rugby money spill over to the football club?

By sharing costs of running the ground, we are able to spend more and still comply with FFP.

2 hours ago, WhistleHappy said:

Yep............:facepalm:

:disapointed2se:

Who will give a toss about us having some success under the Bristol Sport umbrella

Coming from Bristol, I'm happy to see Bristol teams in various sports doing well, with the obvious exception of course!

I support local clubs

18 minutes ago, WhistleHappy said:

Hmm,....  

I could while away the hours, consulting with the flowers, if I only had .........

Bristol indoor bowls was previously in the DEH but were given notice after the club wanted to utilise the space and increase revenue.

So.........consequently a new indoor club was built in South Liberty Lane. 

Its a venue used for international matches as well as nationals and has hosted live TV matches. 

2 hours ago, Shtanley said:

I don't quite understand I'm afraid. I'm for all sport, the more the merrier. 

Bristol City was a West Country club not this narrow parochial Bristol thing. In regards to "I'm for all sport, the more the merrier" Bristol Sport have little interest in more the merrier as the activities of the Community Trust have been scaled back in favour of "more for the monied" by Bristol Sport, 

16 minutes ago, Cowshed said:

Bristol City was a West Country club not this narrow parochial Bristol thing. In regards to "I'm for all sport, the more the merrier" Bristol Sport have little interest in more the merrier as the activities of the Community Trust have been scaled back in favour of "more for the monied" by Bristol Sport, 

Ah right I understand the original point. I'm fairly young so it's hard to me to fully gage. But you do get a sense that the west-country pride and mentality is dissipating a little bit. I don't know how you solve that really except slowly branch out into sports entities further away from Bristol. 

19 minutes ago, Cowshed said:

Bristol City was a West Country club

Surely that in itself was a moving away from the "Bristolness" of the club as it would have been at its foundation? I don't we had (many, if any) people travelling in from Taunton or Gloucester in the early 1900s.

Should we also be against that moving away from the true traditions of the club?

5 hours ago, bristolcitysweden said:

I can't see the football benefit from the Bristol Sport project. We are the biggest sport limiting the lost of money. Cost sharing apart - in what way are we benefitting from Bristol Sport? When does the basketball, motorracing or rugby money spill over to the football club?

Well let's try to determine how much the cost sharing is saving City. The amounts are pure guesswork but also realistic?

Stadium/pitch maintenance. £500,000 pa?

Stadium refreshments £200,000?

Ticket sales £100,000?

Playing/Training kit ?

Share of Additional hospitality non football? £200,000

Guesswork it may be but not inconsiderate amounts.

And in answer to a previous post, I suspect Bristol Sport are making a good profit from all the conferences etc as well as ploughing some of it back to City and Bristol Rugby.

1 hour ago, View from the Dolman said:

Surely that in itself was a moving away from the "Bristolness" of the club as it would have been at its foundation? I don't we had (many, if any) people travelling in from Taunton or Gloucester in the early 1900s.

Should we also be against that moving away from the true traditions of the club?

With respect, that is a childish (black is white) argument that could be used to justify any ridiculous thing.

With the advancement of transport and increase of population City evolved into a West Country club.

4 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

Well let's try to determine how much the cost sharing is saving City. The amounts are pure guesswork but also realistic?

Stadium/pitch maintenance. £500,000 pa?

Stadium refreshments £200,000?

Ticket sales £100,000?

Playing/Training kit ?

Share of Additional hospitality non football? £200,000

Guesswork it may be but not inconsiderate amounts.

And in answer to a previous post, I suspect Bristol Sport are making a good profit from all the conferences etc as well as ploughing some of it back to City and Bristol Rugby.

So what actually is 'Bristol Sport'?  An admistrative, legal, financial operative? I honestly don't know.  

It's for starters certainly not a sport and therefore grates somewhat that its image seems to be becoming more of a priority to the people in power running it than that of the club of a hundred years plus.  

Bill Shankley once said: "A football club is a trinity made up of the players, the manager and the supporters.  The chairman is just there to write the cheques".  

Obviously that was right back in the day but possibly as a pertinent and relative now as was then. 

It looks to me like the modern day equivalent quote is: "A football club is a trinity made up of a billionaire, leaches and a golden boy.  The supporters are just there to behave like sheep".

That's the way the game's gone.

2 hours ago, View from the Dolman said:

Are you telling fans who do not come from Bristol and those that stuck with it in1982 that BCFC is not a West Country club? Are you implying that these fans are not true?

If you rename Bristol Flyers and Bristol Rugby to Bristol CITY Flyers and Bristol CITY Rugby you'll just end up isolating extra bits of the fanbase unnecessarily.

I've seen a number of Bristol Rovers shirts at Flyers games in the last year and imagine there are a fair few Rugby fans from that side of town too and to suddenly tell them they support Bristol City just wouldn't be fair in any way and would cause many to step back.

Silly idea.

11 hours ago, StGeorge said:

Coming from Bristol, I'm happy to see Bristol teams in various sports doing well, with the obvious exception of course!

I support local clubs

You could say by missing out the obvious exception Bristol Sport are not Bristol Sport, only Part of Bristol Sport. So room for one more under the umberella ? :dunno: all is fair in love and a truly United Bristol Sport :yawn:

14 minutes ago, RedZepperin said:

No he wasn't. He was inspired by a previous decision he had made, i.e. moving to Guernsey.

What!?

SL initially moved to Guernsey for tax reasons, plus the Channel Islands are great places to live.

18 hours ago, Cowshed said:

Bristol Sport is unnecessary in its form. It could simply be a backroom operation offering services and part of the small print at the bottom of the match day programme in appearnace.

SL wanted, as well as a backroom operation, a vanity brand. A few people humoured him, jumped on the gravy train, and started an absurd marketing campaign, which got out of hand. Most older fans don't care. A lot on here are so sycophantic towards SL, they have "Emperor's new clothes" syndrome.

Archived