IGNORED

Aaron Wilbraham

Dolman Block B

Just now, GrahamC said:

With 2 goals in 15 games and 1 in 11 respectively, more like Turner and Turner.

The only thing Taylor has in common with Super Bob is his surname.

The new guy is an automatic choice, those two are competing to either partner him or be on the bench. They won't be our first choice partnership.

If Wilbs goes this week I still expect another one to arrive, unless the Engvall situation totally changes.

Yeah, should have mentioned that I wasn't expecting Djuric and Taylor to be first choice, I think we all know who is the first striker on the team sheet

I still think that the two of them, particularly as a partnership could cause trouble, Taylor getting in and behind and playing off Djuric and making sure he's first to his knock downs

52 minutes ago, Woodsy said:

I may be on my own here, but I think Djuric and Taylor could work well

Our next Taylor and Turner. God, if they turn out to be 50% of what those two were we'd be doing ok

Different division though Woodsy.

A Djuric and M.Taylor partnership might well be very successful at L1 level, not at all confident they'd get 15 between them in the Championship.

59 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Different division though Woodsy.

A Djuric and M.Taylor partnership might well be very successful at L1 level, not at all confident they'd get 15 between them in the Championship.

'tis true, Noggers

I'd loved to have seen Bob & Robbie terrorise the old Div 2 together. Did Robbie leave after promotion??

Taylor just needs one to go in, he's the sort that gets on a roll. We all saw him go like that at the other place. One on opening day, after a FD brace would be bloody lovely

9 minutes ago, Woodsy said:

'tis true, Noggers

I'd loved to have seen Bob & Robbie terrorise the old Div 2 together. Did Robbie leave after promotion??

Taylor just needs one to go in, he's the sort that gets on a roll. We all saw him go like that at the other place. One on opening day, after a FD brace would be bloody lovely

Yep, Turner went to Plymouth for 150k., only creating carnage at City for 21 months.

As for Taylor, we can but hope Woodsy, but I'm not that confident.

Have you watched him much?

Unfortunately from what I've seen if I didn't know his record at the gas I wouldn't believe he was a goalscorer at all.

A few of his misses have been nothing short of horrendous.

Let's hope he gets on that roll without delay once the season starts.

1 minute ago, steviestevieneville said:

He was snatching at chances , hopefully he'll be more settled after a pre season with us. Intelligent player though . I was impressed with his link up play. 

Hopefully, but I remember Rovers' fans saying he missed loads of chances - they are far fewer and further between at our level so much more important you take them, both for player and club.

1 hour ago, Hampshire reds said:

I see teams are after jo Mason should we go back in for him. I understand we were intersted in him back in Jan..

We weren't - made up rumour apparently.

I agree @Woodsy, think Taylor and Djuric would get 15+ between them if (theoretically) they were our starting pair all season. Feel both are a bit underrated and adapting. Obviously I assume Diedhiou will be first choice.

Just now, Nogbad the Bad said:

Hopefully, but I remember Rovers' fans saying he missed loads of chances - they are far fewer and further between at our level so much more important you take them, both for player and club.

Yeah true. Wouldn't be surprised if he played a no10 role ish. LJ played more of a 442 towards the end of the season and he did play off Tammy , it suited him. Be interesting to see how he plays Djuric and Famara 

1 hour ago, Woodsy said:

'tis true, Noggers

Turner  was a battering ram of a forward. A classic old centre forward. Bob Taylor...... He was a gem, how we let him go was criminal. He was a class act with thighs like tree trunks. How I wish we could clone him. Probably one of the best players I've seen in a city shirt.

2 hours ago, cynic said:

McCoulsky hasn't played higher than Conference South (?) and isn't ready, 

Sorry Cynic but I must disagree. Having had the chance to see the U21/23s over here last August, Shaun stood put as the player most likely to make it.

He was playing against the Glens First/Reserves team and the way he headed that goal was no flook. To receive a cross is one thing but to then out-jump and head the ball from no more than 4 yards downwards, past the keeper, is another. The ball bounced just over the line.  It hit the back of the net with some force as well. No premier league keeper could've saved it. How many times have we seen strikers miss this type of goal?  He also seemed assured on the ball as well.

I reckon if he gets a chance he'll not only take it but will score. He's that good. I'm also his agent! Ok, not really but if his only job is to put the ball into the net, then he will. 

Love Wilbs to absolute bits. Without doubt one of the most dedicated professionals I have ever seen at City. Absolute credit to himself.

I will be gutted to see him leave but I feel he deserves to be playing regularly and he could do that easily at L1 level. Realistically with us he would only be a bit part player, although he can still offer something it's probably best for him to move on. His experience, leadership and commitment will be a huge loss to us but I wish him all the very best.

5 minutes ago, cynic said:

I hope you are right but I sense that he needs a loan at a football league club.

Its a massive jump from the 6th pyramid to the second.

It is a massive jump. I totally agree with you. But a cross is a cross and the way he headed it suggests that he could do it in the Championship. Mind you, I'm on a wee break in a hotel and enjoying a very nice Sauvignon Blanc....now empty.

Heck, I might even suggest that Marvin Harriot was our best ever defender bar none! Nah!

Needs to force his way into the starting lineup preseason and get goals . Desperate for him to be successful under the circumstances of how we got the lad . He has nice movement and has set up goals for others but ultimately will be judged on goals. 

Had a good look at the Championship and us,so no excuses this coming season, Christmas will be a good marker 

I mean he's definitely got the pace to be a championship player. Michael Owen didn't have too many traits when he was a young un he was just fast enough and would rarely miss. 

You never know with a player who has his speed. A decent preseason with good coaching and he could be a useful squad player

3 hours ago, brad blit said:

Taylor is not good enough at this level - was a cheap punt and hasn't worked. Few will say his inclusion towards end helped our form/results, but he's a striker and my Nan looked more likely to score than him! 

Most would. Because it did. 

Also, because of Tammy's inclusion in the team MT away doing all the donkey work - playing in a very different role to his role at the Gas. 

Be very keen to see what he can do when he's the poacher in the partnership rather than the one doing the grunt work. 

6 hours ago, Norn Iron said:

But can Wigan offer a family season ticket to the Pleasure Beach? Could be a deal breaker. 

After blackballing their own fans and planting their chairman on the FA board I'd say that's a stretch for Blackpool's finances.

7 hours ago, Hampshire reds said:

If he does go we will need to sign an experience striker. The ones we have don't have much experience in the championship. If any. 

Like Kodjia and Tammy did when scoring 20+??? 

Experience isn't important quality is 

I think Wilbs will want to play.  He's looked after himself, and has had seasons where he's been lightly used.  I'd like to see him continue, I think his dedication deserves it.  There are a few northern clubs in League One, although not all of them will have the resources to afford his wages.

As everyone else has said, top bloke, down to earth, always has time for a chat.  Personally, I have two really fond memories of him:

1) him leading Joe out against Swindon in 14/15 home match...and generally looking after him.  What a game too!

2) having a long chat with him in town (both our daughters in Smiggle) after he'd scored twice in the Friday night game v Forest.  He didn't chat to me like a pro-snob, we had a really good natter about all things, not just footie.

Football-wise, he proved me wrong.  I thought of him as a bit of a lump centre-forward (maybe like Turner), but watching him live you saw he had a good touch, was fit, mobile and certainly knew where the net was.  That header v Sheffield Utd set the tone.  Will be a big miss.

2 hours ago, Norn Iron said:

Sorry Cynic but I must disagree. Having had the chance to see the U21/23s over here last August, Shaun stood put as the player most likely to make it.

He was playing against the Glens First/Reserves team and the way he headed that goal was no flook. To receive a cross is one thing but to then out-jump and head the ball from no more than 4 yards downwards, past the keeper, is another. The ball bounced just over the line.  It hit the back of the net with some force as well. No premier league keeper could've saved it. How many times have we seen strikers miss this type of goal?  He also seemed assured on the ball as well.

I reckon if he gets a chance he'll not only take it but will score. He's that good. I'm also his agent! Ok, not really but if his only job is to put the ball into the net, then he will. 

Absolutely no chance in hell. 

Saw him for both Bath and Weston and the kid is so raw it hurts. He's quick and that's about it. 

He couldn't even get into Torquay's side. If he's anywhere near our 11 it means we've had an awful summer and huge injury crisis. 

Needs a Conference Prem loan deal for the season then go from there. 

1 minute ago, petehinton said:

Saw him for both Bath and Weston and the kid is so raw it hurts. He's quick and that's about it. 

He couldn't even get into Torquay's side. If he's anywhere near our 11 it means we've had an awful summer and huge injury crisis. 

The Torquay thing was a bit of an odd one though. They signed home town boy Keiffer Moore at the same time (he only went there really to help them out, banged in a few and left again) so Shaun was never going to get a look in after that.

Not saying he`s ready for us yet but needs to go out to a conference side - maybe Torquay again under different circumstances this time.

1 minute ago, petehinton said:

Hi Pete maybe I watched his twin brother Shaun and you watched Sean? 

That's the only logical explanation ... (I've moved onto Jameson Cooper's Croze. . What a whiskey! )

Archived