IGNORED

Wearing a Tie at Work- And General Dress codes

Mr Popodopolous

Dress Codes at Work  

27 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

This could be for the general politics thread but I guess it affects a fair few of us?

MP's no longer have to wear ties in Parliament, though this may yet change.

So what I am interested in is, do people wear ties and how should equivalent dress codes be?

The third one could certainly have all manner of caveats. e.g. No need in office but if at events or if clients/investors/customers coming in, then impose it at these times?

FWIW I'm for the common sense approach. Which IMO customer facing yes, clients yes, if bigwigs come into office but not necessarily daily yes.

For the day job though, why really worry in most cases? Non customer facing most of the year, is a tie in 2017 all that important?

Depends entirely on what your role is in my opinion. When I used to work for children's services, we were often told not to look too official so that the family would find it easier to work with us. As in we weren't allowed to be scruffy but no one was ever "dressed up" 

I completely disagree with anyone being "forced" to wear anything, be it women wearing heels or men wearing ties/suits etc 

19 minutes ago, Dollymarie said:

Depends entirely on what your role is in my opinion. When I used to work for children's services, we were often told not to look too official so that the family would find it easier to work with us. As in we weren't allowed to be scruffy but no one was ever "dressed up" 

I completely disagree with anyone being "forced" to wear anything, be it women wearing heels or men wearing ties/suits etc 

Yes but you do look lovely in just heels and a tie :wub:

To me, to further expand. Just seems a pointless gesture- client facing- different story, public facing, different story. At an event/exhibition/trade fair/convention- different story. Teacher, Doctor, police (clip on for them), bank clerk- yeah fine. Civil servants who face public, course.

If you are in an office- standard office, not public facing, ties don't make people work better though. Why would they?

I'd do away with tighs completely, they are pointless and ridiculous attire.  

In most of my roles it's been important to dress down.  My 'clientele' don't tend to like authority figures very much.  

I do believe clown shoes should be brought in generally, just to help lighten the mood.

Casual sword wearing is another policy I would consider.  

52 minutes ago, BigTone said:

Please keep your sword in your trousers Sir

I think it's high time we faced our taboos and got over our prudish attitude towards clothing and nudity all together.  Fine when it's cold but in weather like today's clothes seem totally unnecessary, even archaic.  

So just clown shoes, sword, belt and sheath will do - the bare necessities, so to speak.

It will seem strange at first but we will soon adjust and find it'll do us all a lot of good in the long term.

#timeforchange

It really is sector-specific. In previous roles I've worn suits and ties every day but, in my current role, it just wouldn't be appropriate. Even big commercial companies in the sector I work in don't wear suits and ties and, if I started wearing them to meetings with them, it would just look like I was out of touch and unaware of the unspoken codes of this particular industry. I've even stopped wearing suits and ties when I interview people for jobs - it's great if people make an effort to dress up when they come for an interview but I want to give candidates a realistic idea of what to expect when they actually work here...

The only time I dress smartly for work now is if I am meeting someone in the public sector or civil service. Otherwise it just isn't right for us as an organisation. Obviously it would be completely different if I worked in banking or a more overtly corporate sector. 

If you're never meeting clients or the general public then I can't see any reason at all for a dress code in an office.

If they have to have one, then just make it gender neutral and let people decide for themselves, it's easy enough to say that the dress code is:

Shoes

Trousers/skirt 

Shirt/blouse 

Tie optional

Whether you are male/female/trans/whatever then that above can apply to everyone and be completely fair.

I spent a few weeks on secondment at a hospital on the south coast and the chief executive insisted on that all men wear ties whilst on duty. He said that wearing ties made us look "more professional" - cheeky bastard!

He gave me a bollocking when on a training day he saw me at the canteen in the lunch queue wearing an open necked shirt........ffs.........:facepalm:

I do think workplaces could be a bit flexible when it's hot (or cold) as not everywhere has air conditioning or heaters. As for men I think a tie looks smart personally in some workplaces, but equally some males can look an absolute mess wearing a shirt and tie whereas some men look immaculate without a tie. As long as the person  can do his or her job and give correct information and assistance I'm not bothered if they are wearing a tie or not to do their job.

As for us ladies, I worked in children's nurseries all my life and so on a daily basis we would be crawling on the floor etc and had lots of heavy lifting so we had to be practical. Some heads were really strict, no jeans etc others would allow 'modest length shorts' in the summer. We did have a directive 'from above' though that we weren't allowed to have our shoulders uncovered, i.e. Wear strappy tshirts, show cleavage or wear open toed sandals or flip flops of any sort. 

What pisses me off most I think is the double standard. 

Hypothetical example!

Workplace: "Okay. Men now need to wear the usual and now a tie." So basically, a suit, black trousers, probably black shoes- one saving grace no suit jacket. 

Workplace: "Women? Okay. ERM, um, er, ah".

In other words some wear dress, some wear flats, some with uncovered shoulders. Probably more combos too, I dunno- other trousers or shoes.

My main beef is that if women have more leeway then so should men. If men wear something prescriptive, then women should too.

11 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Hypothetical example!

Workplace: "Okay. Men now need to wear the usual and now a tie." So basically, a suit, black trousers, probably black shoes- one saving grace no suit jacket. 

In other words some wear dress, some wear flats, some with uncovered shoulders. Probably more combos too, I dunno- other trousers or shoes.

My main beef is that if women have more leeway then so should men. If men wear something prescriptive, then women should too.

Well feel free to wear dress, flats (whatever they are?) and uncovered shoulders too dude, should it take your fancy.  There's probably some equality law enabling you to do so.

More seriously and in a broader sense, there are lots of contradictions re gender equality.  It's undermining and confusing for everyone I think.  

For example, is it equality for a chap to pay for a first date and 'ungentlemanly' not to?  Or to hold doors for ladies?  I was brought up to treat ladies like ladies but that now could be deemed sexist.  The world's gone mad.

My general rule of thumb is to try to relate to older women like you would your mother, older men like your father, your peers like brothers and sisters and younger kids like you would your younger siblings.  That's unless I, ahem,  want to 'anoint' them into a, ahem, 'special' relationship.  

The rest of the world and the times we are in are truly, thoroughly mad. 

For me wearing a tie doesn't come into it, but the general disparity between what is deemed OK for men and women to wear in most offices annoys me. 

In every office I've worked, in the summer women basically can chuck on whatever they'd wear to the beach and it's somehow ok, yet if I turned up in a t-shirt instead of a shirt all hell would break loose!

I`m self employed and out meeting people in their own homes all day but am representing the companies that instruct me to carry out surveys (normally estate agents or social housing providers). Hence I consider that I am representing them and consequently wear a smart shirt and tie - no jacket though as I need to carry a lot of surveying gear and there aren`t enough pockets so I wear a smart fishing gilet! Also, a jacket wouldn`t really be practical for clambering about in loft spaces.

Also, a lot of customers down here tend to be elderly and there is a certain expectation from them regarding dress standards.

15 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

For me wearing a tie doesn't come into it, but the general disparity between what is deemed OK for men and women to wear in most offices annoys me. 

In every office I've worked, in the summer women basically can chuck on whatever they'd wear to the beach and it's somehow ok, yet if I turned up in a t-shirt instead of a shirt all hell would break loose!

Nail, head.

I'm at a FTSE100 Financial services company and we have no prescribed dress code nowadays, wear what makes you feel comfortable in the office, snd what is appropriate if visiting customers/clients etc. Been like that for appx 5yrs now and is just "normal" now. 

:laugh: well quite.

No prescribed dress code at a FTSE 100 Financial Services company? (Obviously I get the whole clients/customers differentiation, that's necessary).

I guess some bosses just have the attitude/belief that a tie is more professional, even if it isn't necessary. Is their business tbh so I guess they will decide. :dunno:

19 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Hypothetical example!

Yes but in some respects men have it easier by having less choice. I don't have to wear smart work wear but having a different dress or skirt/blouse combo for every day would be a nightmare for me. I just can't afford such outfits and I don't even like them. Plus the different kinds of shoes…and coats. Some women have loads of clothes, and some don't! I'm one of the latter.

@CyderInACan I wasn't very clear. What I meant was it was a perception of some bosses that it's more professional- so it's the way to go.

@exAtyeoMax That's a fair point. Less choice means less fashion dilemmas. My thinking was that something like chinos instead of suit trousers, or even if mini suit definitely no tie. Moreover though, I maintain the equality thing to an extent. Fortunately I had to wear none in the heatwave we had just lately, but I would have certainly resented wearing a tie when temperatures exceeding 30C.

Even either a bit more flexibility for men as women get, or a bit less flexibility for women as men get would be reasonable tbh.

4 hours ago, exAtyeoMax said:

Yes but in some respects men have it easier by having less choice. I don't have to wear smart work wear but having a different dress or skirt/blouse combo for every day would be a nightmare for me. I just can't afford such outfits and I don't even like them. Plus the different kinds of shoes…and coats. Some women have loads of clothes, and some don't! I'm one of the latter.

Digressing slightly, but I had always assumed you were male.

How presumptuous of me.

Archived