IGNORED

The official Guernsey FC v Bristol City FC pre-season friendly match day thread

Septic Peg

45 minutes ago, Flint says No said:

Taylor is injured, Diedhiou hasn't arrived in Bristol yet, Engvall still on loan and Wilbs is most likely playing tomorrow

I know.

I was explaining to some fool who wondered why we played 4-4-1-1 for one half in a bloody friendly..

3 hours ago, JamesBCFC said:

More worrying is that multiple people on here cannot grasp that, depending on set up and instructions, 4-2-3-1 is a MORE attacking formation than a standard 4-4-2.

On paper or on some computer game perhaps, but in the real word it means diddly squat, keeps football pundits in a job, thats all.  

23 minutes ago, 1bristolcity said:

On paper or on some computer game perhaps, but in the real word it means diddly squat, keeps football pundits in a job, thats all.  

No, that is the reality of the case.

In a 4-2-3-1 you have 4 players playing an attacking role. In a 4-4-2 you have 2.

Very basic.

1 hour ago, JamesBCFC said:

In a 4-2-3-1 you have 4 players playing an attacking role. In a 4-4-2 you have 2.

Very basic.

Disagree.....

....and agree.

It's a starting formation / line-up, a line-up at dead ball goalkicks.

The rest of the game is fluid, and you saying that 4231 as more attacking, could be countered by saying it's more defensive, for a variety of reasons, which I'm sure you're au fait with.

Too much emphasis placed on the formation imho.  Of course you have to a basis to inform your players where they are going to play, and what you want them to do...but stating 4231 and how you expect that to work only turns into a reality when the opposition line up, or your position of strength / weakness in the match itself....plus loads of other bolloxy things too :P

I CANNOT believe there are City fans out there who are not satisfied with putting FC Guernsey to the sword 1-0.

AND they were at home!!

If we had beaten Chelsea in a similar manner we would all be jumping for joy.

Lets get some ******* perspective.

Jesus.

:igiveup:

tfj

2 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Disagree.....

....and agree.

It's a starting formation / line-up, a line-up at dead ball goalkicks.

The rest of the game is fluid, and you saying that 4231 as more attacking, could be countered by saying it's more defensive, for a variety of reasons, which I'm sure you're au fait with.

Too much emphasis placed on the formation imho.  Of course you have to a basis to inform your players where they are going to play, and what you want them to do...but stating 4231 and how you expect that to work only turns into a reality when the opposition line up, or your position of strength / weakness in the match itself....plus loads of other bolloxy things too :P

May I refer you back to my "formations are just fancy rock-paper-scissors" comment from a month or so ago?

Far, far too many variables, but taking a very basic view of things 4-2-3-1 lines up with 4 dedicated attacking players, double that of a 4-4-2.

Of course as you say, the opposition, form, even the pitch (at low levels) can dramatically impact these things.

Sidenote for anyone going to tomorrows game, when you get there you may notice a *slight* slope on the pitch (I'd estimate on end to be at least 4 foot lower than the other, being conservative with my guess). This is nothing compared to what it used to be as there was at one point (in the last 10-15 years) where one corner flag was about 4 foot higher than the edge of the penalty area nearest it- must have been a nightmare to take the bloody corners.

Just now, JamesBCFC said:

May I refer you back to my "formations are just fancy rock-paper-scissors" comment from a month or so ago?

Far, far too many variables, but taking a very basic view of things 4-2-3-1 lines up with 4 dedicated attacking players, double that of a 4-4-2.

Of course as you say, the opposition, form, even the pitch (at low levels) can dramatically impact these things.

Sidenote for anyone going to tomorrows game, when you get there you may notice a *slight* slope on the pitch (I'd estimate on end to be at least 4 foot lower than the other, being conservative with my guess). This is nothing compared to what it used to be as there was at one point (in the last 10-15 years) where one corner flag was about 4 foot higher than the edge of the penalty area nearest it- must have been a nightmare to take the bloody corners.

Can Lee Johnson borrow some of your excuses round-about mid September?

Cheers mate!!

:thumbsup:

tfj

16 minutes ago, JamesBCFC said:

Get me the link and I'll have a look / read :P

You're right about The Creek, used to have a decent old slope on it.  Played our school Woodcock Shield Cup Final (we won 2-0) there and played there a good few times against BMF.

The rumour was that if the tide was in, the bottom corner would flood....no idea if it was true.

1 hour ago, JamesBCFC said:

Very basic.

As I said on paper maybe but any coach worth his salt will not play a rigid system.It might line up like that, but will vary to meet certain demands in game time. 4-2-3-1 does give more flexibility, but rarely will you have a 4 adopting an out and out attacking role. 

4 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Get me the link and I'll have a look / read :P

You're right about The Creek, used to have a decent old slope on it.  Played our school Woodcock Shield Cup Final (we won 2-0) there and played there a good few times against BMF.

The rumour was that if the tide was in, the bottom corner would flood....no idea if it was true.

Ugh, I'll have a look!

Never seen it flood down there and they are basically my second team. I used to watch them if I couldnt afford to see City (shared with Hallen and Mangotsfield, the latter mostly when a certain David Seal played for them, out of those Farm are my top sides, I just wish they had the room and facilities Hallen do).

On 7/8/2017 at 18:27, Top Robin said:

Buried under her patio 

On 7/8/2017 at 18:30, Taxi for Johnson said:

That is a f*****g big patio - I stuffed Aizoon under there last week.

Lets hope we don't get too much hot weather for a while ............

:whistle:

tfj

I got out; Aiz was starting to wreak a bit.

Archived