IGNORED

Q & A - Lee Johnson

Charlie BCFC

4 hours ago, class not gas said:

Johnson said today in Tenerife in the Q&A session that Hegler can't play in a 2 man midfield & he plans to play 442 with Bobby Reid up front with the new guy.

He really doesn't do himself any favours coming out with horseshit like that.  Bobby Reid always has a good preseason against shite teams where he doesn't have to defend because guess what?  He can't defend.  He's not a forward.  He's a mediocre attacking midfielder who makes lots of mistakes.  Hegeler seems to have managed to have a career in the middle of midfield at a good standard so I think I'll go with the evidence.

5 minutes ago, Nibor said:

He really doesn't do himself any favours coming out with horseshit like that.  Bobby Reid always has a good preseason against shite teams where he doesn't have to defend because guess what?  He can't defend.  He's not a forward.  He's a mediocre attacking midfielder who makes lots of mistakes.  Hegeler seems to have managed to have a career in the middle of midfield at a good standard so I think I'll go with the evidence.

I'm with you Nibor but I'm not sure he's up to the physicality of midfield in English Championship , certainly as part of a central pair

Problem is I think he lacks the physicality to play Centre Half in a two - I know some disagree but I think he'd cost us

I would say his ideal role is sat in front of back 3/4 with two central midfielders in front of him in a 4-5-1 or a 3-5-2

Is he good enough to go for a formation that suits him - not on evidence to date

Nice 'footballer' BT I'm Not sure what we've bought tbh and where he fits in

and have a feeling the Coach may be thinking the same

• Admin
37 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

Are some people really as stupid as they sound on here..?! 

All our other strikers are carrying knocks, so he's trying Bobby up front. 

IF, come the Barnsley match, other strikers haven't recovered then that will be our only real option. 

If the other forwards are back and match fit, then of course Bobby won't be first choice for the front two. 

It's really not that hard to understand or see the reasoning behind!! 

Surely playing Freddie Hinds or Gustav Engvall would be a better alternative? At least he is a striker. I'd even put Paterson ahead of Reid 

15 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

That's a good point - He does strike a ball as well as anyone in the squad - His goal at a bath last year and watching him in shooting drills shows that

The composure in a split second is an issue for any striker / potential striker - if he could crack that he does have attributes to make himself a second forward

Im not sure he will pull it off, and certainly wouldn't want to rely on him in that role atm  but it's not outrageous to have a look at it IMHO

if I squint slightly I can actually see quite a bit of Nicky Maynard in him

what will be interesting is who he plays in our final friendly and whether Gustavo gets any mins

I'm all for looking at him in that position but for people to say his performances in pre season warrant a start is ludicrous. I would love it for him to make the 10 role his own for the pure fact he's a local boy but this also clouds people's judgement. Engvall has to be given a chance to show his worth as well - I spose who gets picked will be dependent on what players are brought in and what formation is used.

The problem with buying young players is that if not managed correctly they get disheartened with lack of opportunity. Can recall a few on hear speaking to maggers and claiming he said he may have to leave to get game time. 

• Admin
3 minutes ago, Shtanley said:

Remember that LJ isn't planning on playing Reid as a striker but as a 9 1/2. I know it's almost trivial but there is a difference. 

Is this because he will continue to play one upfront or because he thinks we don't have the personnel to play two up top? 

4 minutes ago, phantom said:

Is this because he will continue to play one upfront or because he thinks we don't have the personnel to play two up top? 

Id say a bit of both tbh. I think Diedhiou and Reid or Diedhiou and Taylor will be the pairing playing furthest forward. 

3 hours ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

He is unable to shoot accurately.

In addition he lacked the composure last season to finish at least 2 sitters which cost us points in games, whilst his feeble surrender of possession in others led directly to the opposition scoring. 

The manager went from describing him as a potential £5M player to bombing him out completely because he couldn't "trust" him.

Would a player who hadn't come through the academy be given so many chances to redeem themselves or re-invent as something they're clearly not? Of course not. It's the only reason he's still anywhere near the first team but helpfully allows the manager to brown nose the owner about giving youth a chance (a pre-condition of anyone, post Cotterill, being given the job).     

I cant believe for one minute that a player who has come through the academy would get more chances.

Total bollocks. Of the last 150 players out of the academy in the last 10 years we have Bryan in the first team.

Anyway the lad Hinds came across really well in his interview. Hopefully as he's not come through our youth system he won't be binned before given a chance.

13 minutes ago, phantom said:

Surely playing Freddie Hinds or Gustav Engvall would be a better alternative? At least he is a striker. I'd even put Paterson ahead of Reid 

Engval has a knock, last I heard. 

Patterson is needed elsewhere in the team and Hinds isn't ready for first team yet, although has impressed when I've seen him, albeit against lesser opponents. 

Reid has played and scored at championship level and isn't first choice forca midfield slot. 

3 hours ago, kevthered said:

It's another year on MM...His shooting was well on target and very powerful too. I know it was only against Yeovil but it don't matter when shooting ...I know his history but this is his year what with younger players coming in he got to make it or be moved on.. 

I hope it is his year Kev. It's just increasingly frustrating waiting for him to turn undoubted potential into consistent performances at this level.

Would be nothing better than to see "one of our own" come good but I've a horrible feeling he's a L1 player. Hope I'm wrong!

4 hours ago, class not gas said:

he said Tomlin had a lot of personal problems, they agreed he'd leave at start of the window but no one came in for him so that's why he said to media he'd be part of plans-then Cardiff offered. Bryan and flint to Leeds isn't true at all, no offer. Only offer they've had is a loan swap for Bryan which they'd never do.Lloyd Kelly not going on loan this year as he'll be in and around the 1st team. There was so much demand for Tammy in January that clubs were offering us money to have him. And  Kodjia left for the money but only because he wants to provide the best for his family and he's a really nice guy apparently. He is trying to get that Swedish winger, possibly 4  players but should be at least 2.

I like the tone of all of that.  

re Tomlin - all those posters saying that he said Tomlin part of his plans, one minute, sold the next...this explains it well.

Bryan and Flint - good news

Kelly - good re "pathway"...might mean Bryan might play further forward at times

Tammy - irrelevant these days

Kodjia - fine re money, but at least he didn't slag him off, would've been easy to do so

Swedish Winger (Eliasson) - mmmm, either he's ours, or the £s have gone all stupid.

i'll give LJ a bit of credit for that interview if that's what he said.

4 hours ago, RobArnold10 said:

Re: Hegeler, I kinda get the idea of him at CB, but he seems much more fitted to protecting the back four, with a box to box player next to him I think that would really work. At CB I worry about his pace, but the ball playing and height attributes I understand, an odd one really all things considered!

He has pace, a good turn of pace too, recalling Fleetwood when he recovered his own eff up.  Elegant mover, doesn't look like he's motoring, but also a good reader means he doesn't have too

1 hour ago, Nibor said:

I don't think he's saying Reid is first choice, but an option.

50 minutes ago, stephenkibby. said:

I cant believe for one minute that a player who has come through the academy would get more chances.

Total bollocks. Of the last 150 players out of the academy in the last 10 years we have Bryan in the first team.

Anyway the lad Hinds came across really well in his interview. Hopefully as he's not come through our youth system he won't be binned before given a chance.

Well I would start to believe it if I were you.

Reid has played 130 games now and been a pro for more than 5 years.

If we'd bought a kid from another club, played him 130 times, given him plenty of opportunities over more than 5 years, and he still wasn't delivering on his potential, do you seriously think he'd still be in contention for the first team or be allowed to re-invent himself in a different position?

I don't. I think we'd be looking to move that player on.

If you think the academy kids who came through under Gary Johnson, Coppell, Millen and McInnes - i.e. "in the last 10 years", your words - were given the opportunities the current lot are afforded, well... that's "total bollocks". That's only been the case since the introduction of the pillars, i.e. a recent development. It started in earnest under SO'D, Cotts paid it lip service at best, and only Johnson has been brave enough to really demonstrate that a pathway does exist from academy to first team. (That bravery only a result of knowing that the owner backs him like no other City manager in history - if he thought his job was seriously on the line, I doubt  he'd be half so brave and understandably) 

It is now fundamental for whoever is our manager - far more than any previous incumbent - to be seen and heard promoting our academy products. And continuing to back Reid, despite the mounting evidence that he can't cut it at this level, allows Johnson to talk up what a good job he's doing as far as this particular pillar is concerned.  

13 minutes ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

Well I would start to believe it if I were you.

Reid has played 130 games now and been a pro for more than 5 years.

If we'd bought a kid from another club, played him 130 times, given him plenty of opportunities over more than 5 years, and he still wasn't delivering on his potential, do you seriously think he'd still be in contention for the first team or be allowed to re-invent himself in a different position?

I don't. I think we'd be looking to move that player on.

If you think the academy kids who came through under Gary Johnson, Coppell, Millen and McInnes - i.e. "in the last 10 years", your words - were given the opportunities the current lot are afforded, well... that's "total bollocks". That's only been the case since the introduction of the pillars, i.e. a recent development. It started in earnest under SO'D, Cotts paid it lip service at best, and only Johnson has been brave enough to really demonstrate that a pathway does exist from academy to first team. (That bravery only a result of knowing that the owner backs him like no other City manager in history - if he thought his job was seriously on the line, I doubt  he'd be half so brave and understandably) 

It is now fundamental for whoever is our manager - far more than any previous incumbent - to be seen and heard promoting our academy products. And continuing to back Reid, despite the mounting evidence that he can't cut it at this level, allows Johnson to talk up what a good job he's doing as far as this particular pillar is concerned.  

Good post MM, just 1 point of accuracy.

Bobby Reid made his City debut in 2010/11, over 6 seasons ago.

Why don't we (you) give our homegrown players a bit of praise?

Reid - a lot of you don't think he's good enough for League Two, nor League One, let alone the Championship.  So, what if he's not the first name on the team sheet!

He's had to work hard to get as far as he has...don't forget the whole club has moved forward since relegation in 12/13. He played 60+ times in the Championship in total with  30+ starts. He's probably had to do that under the pressure of thinking that every season is make or break. It probably is, yet he's managed to hang in there.  Fair play to him.  He loves City too.

He had some of his best games in a midfield two (with the much maligned O'Neil) at the start of last season, looking like he'd picked up some technique from Tomlin.  Yet loads on here said he can't play in a two. Scored goals early season.  Okay he drifted out of the team and made a couple of costly mistakes that contributed to his drop.  Plenty of our other more costly, higher expectation players did that too.

Reid is not stealing a living, he will be one of our lower paid first team squad players (you'd think), so why not keep him around...he's involved most weeks.  He has value in the market too.

Why not take a view that you hope he continues his pre-season form into the season, and helps solve a injury 'crisis' short term.  Ditto Engvall.

i, for one, would love to see him finally shake of the 'only still here because he's local' tag. 

IMG_1066.PNG

1 hour ago, cheshire_red said:

I cannot comprehend how any 'personal problem' would be resolved by moving less than 30 miles.

I don't think the move was engineered with that purpose. I expect the truth is Tomlin was told in the summer exactly what Costa got told. Rather than to sort his problems, we just didn't want him. 

Re: Bobby

I remember he scored an awful lot for the u21s before they became the u23s, OK a different standard but from listening to Wes Dad (who watched him a lot) hes got all the creative hallmarks of a top player.

I remember reading a few years ago that he was acting like he'd 'made it' and that was half of what stunted his growth but if he's truly knuckled down and worked on his decision making then i'm sure the reason hes been kept around is that he's got the talent.

He may be being groomed to play up top but i'd wager that hes there to create goals more than score them, giving him less defensive duties than in midfield may be the key to unlock his creativity.

7 hours ago, cheshire_red said:

I cannot comprehend how any 'personal problem' would be resolved by moving less than 30 miles.

What if the personal problem was as a result of a liason with a wife or girlfriend of one or more of his team mates???

No inside knowledge, no proof, no rumour or whatever.

Just an idea.

Would explain a fallout with other team members???

:dunno:

Just now, Redtucks said:

What if the personal problem was as a result of a liason with a wife or girlfriend of one or more of his team mates???

Just an idea.

what if the personal problems reappear again in 11 months time so he can get another signing on fee the 5th in 6 years.........

10 hours ago, Bar BS3 said:

Are some people really as stupid as they sound on here..?! 

All our other strikers are carrying knocks, so he's trying Bobby up front. 

IF, come the Barnsley match, other strikers haven't recovered then that will be our only real option. 

If the other forwards are back and match fit, then of course Bobby won't be first choice for the front two. 

It's really not that hard to understand or see the reasoning behind!! 

Very well said, the lad will be high on confidence after a very good pre season. Even if he doesn't score I'd imagine he'll be a handful and bring Diedhiou into play.

31 minutes ago, Redtucks said:

Just an idea.

I get the impression that Tomlin could easily fall out with anyone and for little or no apparent reason.

Capable of starting a fight in the phone box.

8 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Reid is not stealing a living, he will be one of our lower paid first team squad players (you'd think), so why not keep him around...he's involved most weeks.  He has value in the market too.

That's interesting Dave, what do you think that current value is?

For me it's limited because he's unlikely to get any Championship suitors, so interest would be confined to lower league clubs, and the fee within their budgets.

I suspect as a local lad any move would most likely see him end up at Plymouth, possibly even Rovers, with a smallish fee and good sell on, just in case.

When you say 'he has value in the market' do you see things very differently from that?

21 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

That's interesting Dave, what do you think that current value is?

For me it's limited because he's unlikely to get any Championship suitors, so interest would be confined to lower league clubs, and the fee within their budgets.

I suspect as a local lad any move would most likely see him end up at Plymouth, possibly even Rovers, with a smallish fee and good sell on, just in case.

When you say 'he has value in the market' do you see things very differently from that?

1.2 million based on the stupid prices at the moment

1 minute ago, Monkeh said:

1.2 million based on the stupid prices at the moment

Do you really think he'd have Championship interest, because I can't see a lower league club paying anything like that - from that level we could only realistically expect perhaps 300k, plus sell on.

Perhaps his lack of attractiveness to other clubs (in terms of likely fee, anyway) is even an added reason the club persevere with him.

From their point of view there's always the chance (season after season) 'he might come good this season' and suddenly become the 5m asset LJ apparently believes he could be.

Archived