IGNORED

Q & A - Lee Johnson

Charlie BCFC

1 hour ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Do you really think he'd have Championship interest, because I can't see a lower league club paying anything like that - from that level we could only realistically expect perhaps 300k, plus sell on.

Perhaps his lack of attractiveness to other clubs (in terms of likely fee, anyway) is even an added reason the club persevere with him.

From their point of view there's always the chance (season after season) 'he might come good this season' and suddenly become the 5m asset LJ apparently believes he could be.

yea I think he's under-rated, Burton, Millwall, and some other lower end championship clubs would snap him up, I like reid, but he's one of those who's too good for league one but almost good enough for the championship,

He'll be one of those that would excel if and when we got rid of him, much like skuse gerkin etc....

19 minutes ago, cynic said:

LJ once stated that, if he could add goals to his game, Bobby Reid would be a 5m player.

It seems like he really believed it as he's pushing Reid to get those goals this season by playing him further forward in a Tomlin type role. 

Having watched him for years I've always been of the opinion that Reid has a lot of talent but couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo - his finishing has been useless. If he can miraculously turn that around this season then that would be fantastic all round and great credit to the coaching and himself if he can do that. If he does, then in todays stupid market he could well end up 5m player (or close to it). 

We've been saying it for years about Bobby but this season really is make or break - he's being given an opportunity to show what he can do.

I really hope he smashes it..

I hope so too. I just got this nagging feeling that if we were to sell him now, after developing him for so long, this season ( if given games or next if not) he will finally blossom. 

More than once last season I've seen him come on as a sub and at least try to drive the ball forward after over an hour of us generally passing sideways and backwards. He at least looks like he knows where the goal is, whether he can place a ball in it is another matter.

Like Taylor he just needs a few goals to boost his confidence, they both seem to be trying too hard at times to impress, such is the pressure I guess. Well they both start the season with clean slates, I don't think either will be prolific but could chip in a useful amount and we do need to find more players with goals in them now we are without Tammy.

Sorry, but I'm cynical about this Engvall "now has a knock" business.

He was clearly pictured banging them in during training in Tenerife, comes back to us after a highly successful loan in Sweden and cost us, (depending on which day of the week it is), somewhere between £1.3m & £2m.

Fair play to Bobby Reid for scoring against the likes of Manor Farm, Bath and Yeovil but if we don't give this guy a chance when all his competitors for the role are actually injured, why the **** did we sign him?

9 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

He was clearly pictured banging them in during training in Tenerife, comes back to us after a highly successful loan in Sweden and cost us, (depending on which day of the week it is), somewhere between £1.3m & £2m.

Fair play to Bobby Reid for scoring against the likes of Manor Farm, Bath and Yeovil but if we don't give this guy a chance when all his competitors for the role are actually injured, why the **** did we sign him?

I think if it wasn't for the MD hernia problems he would have been gone by now

5 hours ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

That's interesting Dave, what do you think that current value is?

For me it's limited because he's unlikely to get any Championship suitors, so interest would be confined to lower league clubs, and the fee within their budgets.

I suspect as a local lad any move would most likely see him end up at Plymouth, possibly even Rovers, with a smallish fee and good sell on, just in case.

When you say 'he has value in the market' do you see things very differently from that?

Whether it's League One or another lowly Champ side, I'd say a minimum of £250k, but that's being cautious and not reflective of a market where the likes of Burns became Fleetwood's record transfer.  £250k is £5k per week for a year....that's the context of my comment re value.  £500k is two years, etc.

i think he has got stronger and added physicality to his game.  That doesn't mean he's now an Aden Flint, just means he's not the lightweight he was pre-16/17 season.  He might have stumbled on his best position.  Who knows.  I just don't like writing people off, especially those who are borderline.  I see lots of grey whereas this forum is black and white....mainly black :P

18 hours ago, Bar BS3 said:

Are some people really as stupid as they sound on here..?! 

All our other strikers are carrying knocks, so he's trying Bobby up front. 

IF, come the Barnsley match, other strikers haven't recovered then that will be our only real option. 

If the other forwards are back and match fit, then of course Bobby won't be first choice for the front two. 

It's really not that hard to understand or see the reasoning behind!! 

That's basically what he said at the  Q&A, as things stand Reid will play upfront with the new guy.

5 hours ago, GrahamC said:

So him not playing in his last couple of games before we called him back from the loan was all part of an elaborate ruse to pretend he is injured and stop him playing games by any means necessary?

Even for OTIB, that's one hell of a conspiracy.

12 minutes ago, AppyDAZE said:

If Bobby Reid starts up front against Barnsley, then we have seriously focked up this summer, injuries or NO injuries.

How? Why would we buy or loan more strikers if our current ones will be fit a week or two later? When everyone is fit we have Diedhiou, Đurić, Taylor, Engvall and Wilbraham so why add to that unless some are leaving?

Just now, hodge said:

How? Why would we buy or loan more strikers if our current ones will be fit a week or two later? When everyone is fit we have Diedhiou, Đurić, Taylor, Engvall and Wilbraham so why add to that unless some are leaving?

... and they are ALL injured?

Just now, AppyDAZE said:

... and they are ALL injured?

Đurić and Taylor definitely, Engvall potentially not 100%. This leaves Diedhiou and Wilbraham. Reid would more likely be playing just in behind Diedhiou if he was played over Wilbraham, also I doubt Wilbs' ability to play 90 minutes, so how would it be a screw up?

Just now, hodge said:

Đurić and Taylor definitely, Engvall potentially not 100%. This leaves Diedhiou and Wilbraham. Reid would more likely be playing just in behind Diedhiou if he was played over Wilbraham, also I doubt Wilbs' ability to play 90 minutes, so how would it be a screw up?

No, my mistake... 

55 minutes ago, JamesBCFC said:

So him not playing in his last couple of games before we called him back from the loan was all part of an elaborate ruse to pretend he is injured and stop him playing games by any means necessary?

Even for OTIB, that's one hell of a conspiracy.

No, the person who said he had one now, so Bobby Reid was our current best striking option.

I know he was injured in Sweden and I know we have shown footage of him in training this week in Tenerife.

5 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

No, the person who said he had one now, so Bobby Reid was our current best striking option.

I know he was injured in Sweden and I know we have shown footage of him in training this week in Tenerife.

Players will still do light training as they return from injury, especially the closer they are to being over it.

The two things do not contradict, unless the claim was that Engvall has a serious injury.

Just now, class not gas said:

Yes that's right, we were told no videos,even the club never filmed it.

That's interesting. Clearly Lee has realised how anything he says will be analysed and possibly used against him. Probably a good move, allowed him to be candid with those that turned out.

7 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

That's interesting. Clearly Lee has realised how anything he says will be analysed and possibly used against him. Probably a good move, allowed him to be candid with those that turned out.

Surely no-one would be so cruel as to pick apart every sentence and quote things totally out of context just to suit their agenda would they?

It`s even less likely that they would continue to bring up these things six months or a year later just to try and justify them not believing some other quite unrelated statement from the club isn`t it?

#Europaleagueinfiveyears

12 minutes ago, Dollymarie said:

Is exactly that. 

I do feel sorry for him really with regard to that sort of thing. He's genuinely well intentioned and tries to say the right things but it obviously backfired last season.

I notice he's barely tweeted since January, that's when people were being particularly nasty to him on social media. I really don't understand the motivation, it's fine not liking a manager - but he wasn't trying to sabotage the club or lose games. He was trying to do his job and tweeting him pretty vile abuse as some did doesn't achieve anything.

3 minutes ago, class not gas said:

He told us he's had 2 death threats.

Pretty disgusting really. We do have some stupid stupid fans but you'd think they'd be able to realise the difference between football and real life. Some clearly don't, he's here trying to do a job like everyone else. It's just that his job puts him in he public eye and his every word over analysed.

I tell you what though, you've got to admire his resolve. He was seriously under the cosh last season - which is fine until it crosses the line - but he stayed strong and we stayed up. He's a young man with a young family, a man of lesser resolve might just think 'it's not worth my time' and jack it in. Whether you like him or not, he was brave in the face of adversity last season.

Archived