IGNORED

We are predicted to get relegated by 4 pundits on FLW

Redminster

9 minutes ago, glos old boy said:

That goes for every other club as well does it not ?

Yes and no.

It mostly applies to younger players, as the rate of development is higher. Equally players deteriorate at the end of their careers.

With as many players in their early mid twenties as we have, we should (theoretically) be one of the bigger beneficiaries of this.

5 minutes ago, glos old boy said:

When you're signing past it OAPs like John Terry and Glenn Whelan it's a negative. When you've invested in the England u19 captain and Ireland's most promising youngster it's a positive.

Lots of nonsense about Tomlin on here, Warnock knows a good player when he sees one and will know how to manage him, still,  with Tomlin now gone it gives a chance for one of the free scoring Pack, Smith, O'Neil, Reid, Brownhill, O'Dowd to cement their places, remind me how many that little bunch between them scored or even contributed to scoring last season?

1 minute ago, Ser Davos Ciderworth said:

When you're signing past it OAPs like John Terry and Glenn Whelan it's a negative. When you've invested in the England u19 captain and Ireland's most promising youngster it's a positive.

Time will tell.

2 minutes ago, JamesBCFC said:

Really? You are expecting John Terry and Glen Whelan to carry on improving as players? :facepalm:

These guys have proven ability, unlike youngsters who just think they know it all and run around a lot.

1 hour ago, RumRed said:

Not when they are the replacement for a player valued conservatively 4x that.  

and how much was he worth before he joined us, in one season he went from being almost unknown to being worth 20 million, who is to say famara will not do the same.

Just now, glos old boy said:

These guys have proven ability, unlike youngsters who just think they know it all and run around a lot.

That isnt what was asked.

I asked a question based on the insinuation from your posts.

46 minutes ago, Ser Davos Ciderworth said:

Beating Brighton away. Thrashing Huddersfield at home. Tomlin a passenger anyway and transfer fee recouped. Squad with potential a year older and wiser. Strong runs at the beginning and end of last season. Kodjia replaced by Tammy replaced by Dieudhiou.

Just feels like lazy journalism like last season when Villa were apparently nailed on for promotion despite the fact they had a mediocre squad, team and manager.

19 minutes ago, glos old boy said:

11 minutes ago, glos old boy said:

This also goes for most other clubs as well does it not?

Don't really understand why we are somehow going to be better, while others are going to get worse? The new signing is going to have to at least match Tammys performance/goals if we are going to stand still even.

11 minutes ago, Ser Davos Ciderworth said:

9 minutes ago, glos old boy said:

Time will tell.

These 5 posts with the same part highlighted as you did in response to the first of them, shows we are talking about IMPROVEMENT.

Whelan is 3+ years past his peak, same applies to Terry.

Neither player will improve at this point of their career, they will get worse though.

1 hour ago, stgeorgerednotagashead said:

Unfortunately will always be the case unless Lansdown sticks his hand in his pocket and brings some big names in again. Birmingham linked with the likes of Crouch etc, why aren't we?

Probably because Crouch is 36 years old and on a salary of £40k per week. If he signs for Birmingham it will be a typical Harry Rednap signing - i e just throw lots of money on signing old players and hope for the best  

1 hour ago, Ser Davos Ciderworth said:

Unfortunately the England u19 captain doesn't look like he's going to get into the team at present and Ireland's most promising youngster seems to flit in and out of the team as his form fluctuates. Both may be ones for the future but not necessarily this season. 

1 hour ago, JamesBCFC said:

That isnt what was asked.

I asked a question based on the insinuation from your posts.

These 5 posts with the same part highlighted as you did in response to the first of them, shows we are talking about IMPROVEMENT.

Whelan is 3+ years past his peak, same applies to Terry.

Neither player will improve at this point of their career, they will get worse though.

They don't need to improve, they are dropping down a division, you trying to say that Terry won't cut it at Championship level?

Lets not beat around the bush with all this, bringing 2 players in to replace the greater numbers that have left after the shower of shit served up last season is truly ####### shocking ...

Mark Ashton even had the ******* audacity to add a write up that came with my season tickets telling us that last season was a success and we've made great strides.. 

I think its very clear.... We're a club thats treading water at best!!! 

6 minutes ago, 'keepuplino' said:

Lets not beat around the bush with all this, bringing 2 players in to replace the greater numbers that have left after the shower of shit served up last season is truly ####### shocking ...

Mark Ashton even had the ******* audacity to add a write up that came with my season tickets telling us that last season was a success and we've made great strides.. 

rubbish as usual

9 minutes ago, 'keepuplino' said:

Totally agree. Well said. Promises, promises..................

they take us for mugs

4 hours ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Not terribly surprised by that.

Without knowing the total context of our season, it's a reasonable prediction to make. Put yourself in their shows and view our club with limited knowledge and no context..

Lost Abraham, lost Tomlin, dreadful form last season.. Flint and Bryan possibly off, inexperienced manager.. I can see why you'd have us for relegation.

Forever the optimist 

We were tipped as dark horses for promotion on our return to the Championship and now we're being tipped for relegation. You could argue for both predictions but we certainly know the first one didn't happen and I don't think the latter will either   However I think the very best we can genuinely hope for with the squad as it is lower mid table this year. A year of consolidation, another season to give the younger players' more experience and for LJ of course if he can get us off to a reasonable 'mid table' start. .  I'd be very happy with that and it would show an improvement and provide a platform to move forward. The squad on paper looks weaker than last year, regardless of your views on Tomlin and Abraham and the moves made to replace them so far I don't think you can argue against that as it currently stands. We need continuity of selection from LJ and a settled formation with players knowing their role and knowing that their manager has their back if the merde hits the vent axia for a game or so.  Here's hoping.....

I'd be more worried if we were being tipped as 'ones to watch'.  We have a diabolically poor record of staying in this division in recent years. We've lost players who pundits get excited over even if the reality differs like Tomlin and Freeman and ANY Championship side would be anxious about replacing a phenomenon like Tammy Abraham. However our young players are more experienced now, as is our manager and  his staff at this level. Like Joe, I'd take an incremental improvement and consolidation. 12th would do me!!

4 hours ago, harrys said:

Lots of nonsense about Tomlin on here, Warnock knows a good player when he sees one and will know how to manage him, still,  with Tomlin now gone it gives a chance for one of the free scoring Pack, Smith, O'Neil, Reid, Brownhill, O'Dowd to cement their places, remind me how many that little bunch between them scored or even contributed to scoring last season?

Interesting you leave out Patterson's name from the list. He scored 4 and assisted 4 in half the amount of game time it took Tomlin to score 6 and assist 5.

Bearing in mind a couple of Tomlin's were penalties and Patterson actually does his defensive work (contributing to the much tighter defence we had in the games he played), and that Taylor played in that role as well contributing 2 and 5 in a 1/3 of the amount of Tomlins mins on the pitch (900 mins compared to 2700), it doesn't look so bad, does it? 

Whilst I agree with the "Tammy is gone, so they're down" comments being rubbish it's still a case that a lot of pundits have us as favored to go down as they have in the past when we've been relegated. Looking at our team from being a fan it's fair to say Tomlin isn't a big loss as we played better without him and we have replaced Tammy with Diedhiou along with replacing like for like with our RB's BUT looking at our squad and losing a 20+ goalscorer, not having the strongest squad to begin with and seemingly not likely to strengthen with a lot of quality signings it makes sense that we may end up being relegation fodder.
It's no secret that I don't LJ but I accept he's here but this season is his make or break season for me, he said he needed a few seasons to create his squad, well this will be the third season he's had control of us and his third or fourth (I can't quite remember?) transfer window in which to make those changes. Many may see this as pessimistic but I see it as realistic, if we can't progress this season then when exactly will we see progress? For me we need to be looking at mid-table this season, if LJ cannot achieve that then we need someone who can.

Archived