IGNORED

We are predicted to get relegated by 4 pundits on FLW

Redminster

Just now, Bullbag said:

I'd say those four you've mentioned is debatable.

The three promoted will all have momentum, I can't see them doing a Wigan or an MK Dons.

Not every team coming up has momentum, more often than not you see the promoted teams end up somewhere close to the bottom if not relegated again as Wigan, MK, Yeovil and Donny have all shown in recent seasons. 

2 minutes ago, hodge said:

That's part of the problem imo, fans are desperate for us to push to the premier league, yet there are many, many better suited teams in the league to do so than us, mid table for us really would be a success this year, yet to some fans it wouldn't be enough. 

I really fail to see how mid table should be seen as a success. We arnt a small club. The fact we've just spent over 5 million on one player shows this. Not many teams will spend that much on one player. We will average 20.000 again. 

Maybe it's this attitude that holds us back?

1 minute ago, BCFC Grim said:

I really fail to see how mid table should be seen as a success. We arnt a small club. The fact we've just spent over 5 million on one player shows this. Not many teams will spend that much on one player. We will average 20.000 again. 

Maybe it's this attitude that holds us back?

We've spent 2 years fighting relegation since rejoining the division, how is solidifying ourselves mid-table in the division not a success?

1 minute ago, Bullbag said:

Yes I agree,

But in my opinion all the promoted clubs will be stronger than what Wigan/MK were.

What was your opinion of Wigan and Mk Dons at the start of their respective first seasons up? I would definitely have tipped Wigan to survive and probably MK Dons too. I can't see a plausible argument to assume Millwall or perhaps Bolton seem stronger than Wigan looked this time last year...

Just now, LondonBristolian said:

At least part of that is potential though. 

I agree and he could well be a star but pundits aren't going to cream themselves over BCFC buying a 5 mill striker, they will see it as a weakening of the team rather than anything else.

Critical couple of weeks for me, which will all depend on MA's performance. He will largely determine our season - I fear.

Strongly suspect that Flinty will be off in the last few days of the window. Possibly with Joe.

Effectively, that means our spine has gone. Flinty, Tomlin and Abraham. What with GON misfiring and injury prone we're getting threadbear. Frankie, as much as I love the guy and his reaction saves, is not commanding enough for me to be our No1. 

Have no idea, don't think anyone has, about the two signings to date. They might settle and be Kodjia's', but equally, they might turn out to be Engvall's. It's not how much you spend, it's the quality of your scouting network and their judgements that count. Think the likes of Brentford, Barnsley and Preston are light years ahead of us - so they could probably get the same quality, or better, on 'frees'. 

Need three Championship standard players in, four if Flinty goes.

Not surprised in the least we're forecast as relegation candidates. ... but next two weeks 'incomers'' could change all that. Some nice strong, powerful, leaders please MA, not ones for the future, foreign 'punts' or DNA duds.

6 minutes ago, Ser Davos Ciderworth said:

Simplistic nonsense, lazy journalism. LJ should pin this shite to the dressing room wall and say "prove 'em wrong".

So what else are they meant to base their journalism on?  We have lost Tammy, Tomlin gone (for the best imo). We have signed 2 players, if you were to speak to the 4 pundits today what you got to convince them?

I know the OP meant well posting this but now we've got another thread that can turn to nastiness and disdain for the club. Makes me want to get relegated so we can have hope of winning a league again to buy that year of happiness back. 

Some of you need to forget the premier league. If it happens then great but I'm more than happy watching us in the championship. Plenty of quality around and getting more by the day. I'd happily watch us climb 2-3 spots every season which I think we'll do this season minimum. Appreciate what you have instead of complaining about what you don't have

39 minutes ago, RobArnold10 said:

Completely understand why people think it. Thing for me is we conceded a lot of goals last year, with 23 of our own now gone we have to solve replace those goals (unlikely to replace all of them) so we need to fix the conceded element. As yet, I don't think we have, and that will be our biggest issue, not goals. 

I do fear for us a bit this year, unfortunately.

Exactly what you said about conceding. We may also struggle to score as many having lost Tammy and Tomlin. Bottom 5 at best I predict. If Famara gets a long term injury probably bottom 3 as all our eggs are in one basket.

3 minutes ago, RumRed said:

So what else are they meant to base their journalism on?  We have lost Tammy, Tomlin gone (for the best imo). We have signed 2 players, if you were to speak to the 4 pundits today what you got to convince them?

Just as much as they've given me in their argument for our relegation. They're all opinions but it's easy to see why many take exception to their reasoning. Especially with Tomlin. We will miss Tammy for sure but as someone argued about spending big on 1 player and not having a team around him, it's still one player we are replacing. Think most would expect better and more consistent seasons from a few players lessening the loss plus the new signing to close that gap. Basically their reasoning we'll struggle is because we've lost 1 player. 

26 minutes ago, hodge said:

I'd say Burton, Millwall and Bolton for starters, Sheffield Utd could be considered weaker too. I think we'll finish higher than 21st as well.

Bollocks, this "I'm still worried about Sheffield United" stuff is going to continue isn't it?! :laugh:

Meanwhile I am worried for Sheffield United.

17 minutes ago, RumRed said:

Beating Brighton away. Thrashing Huddersfield at home. Tomlin a passenger anyway and transfer fee recouped. Squad with potential a year older and wiser. Strong runs at the beginning and end of last season. Kodjia replaced by Tammy replaced by Dieudhiou.

Just feels like lazy journalism like last season when Villa were apparently nailed on for promotion despite the fact they had a mediocre squad, team and manager.

Just now, Ser Davos Ciderworth said:

Beating Brighton away. Thrashing Huddersfield at home. Tomlin a passenger anyway and transfer fee recouped. Squad with potential a year older and wiser. Strong runs at the beginning and end of last season. Kodjia replaced by Tammy replaced by Dieudhiou.

Just feels like lazy journalism like last season when Villa were apparently nailed on for promotion despite the fact they had a mediocre squad, team and manager.

The game after thrashing Huddersfield we went and lost 5-0 to the mighty Preston.........just saying :whistle:

I'm not that surprised (or particularly bothered) that the pundits have earmarked us for relegation. We were only 3 points clear of the drop last season. Tammy has gone and although we have signed Diedhiou he is an unknown quantity. Tomlin has gone and although he was poor last season he's a recognisable name.

Last season was so topsy turvy, I'm finding it really difficult to predict what this one will be like, but hopefully we'll prove the pundits wrong.

1 minute ago, BCFC Grim said:

The game after thrashing Huddersfield we went and lost 5-0 to the mighty Preston.........just saying :whistle:

That would give us a points per game average of 1.5. 69 points over the season and nowhere near relegation!! Glass half full or half empty depending on your perspective. I for one am positive about City. CTID 

1 hour ago, JonDolman said:

They're saying we're going to struggle without Tomlin. We struggled last season BECAUSE of Tomlin!

Obviously there were many other reasons, but playing with 10 hard workers when other teams had 11 of them did not help. I think what happens leading up to the end of August will determine every teams season. There's gonna be loads more transfer activity over the next month. We're not far off being a very good championship team imo. These next 3 or 4 signings are vital. 

One commented that "the influential Tomlin" has left and gone to Cardiff.

Without his "influence"  I would say we should be better off.

1 hour ago, Alwaystomorrow said:

Not surprised in the least. For you fans expecting anything other than a season of struggle- stop kidding yourself.

There may be  3 sides worse than us, but that is the best we can hope for.

A disappointing close season so far.

goals will be hard to come by and a defence that can't keep clean sheets- get depressed thinking about it and we haven't kicked off yet.

Lansdown won't get rid of LJ. Christ, now I am even more depressed.

have said from day 1 LJ is a bullshitter who started to believe his own press when we made a good start last year. Some of the comments he made to show how clever he was were proven to be ridiculous by the end of the season.

first game of season a six pointer! Could count at the end of the season.

Spot on what I have highlighted, glad you can see the issues also. Give it another month most of the people on here will be drawing the knives out, while we have seen it coming all along.

25 minutes ago, Ser Davos Ciderworth said:

That goes for every other club as well does it not ?

50 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

Just as much as they've given me in their argument for our relegation. They're all opinions but it's easy to see why many take exception to their reasoning. Especially with Tomlin. We will miss Tammy for sure but as someone argued about spending big on 1 player and not having a team around him, it's still one player we are replacing. Think most would expect better and more consistent seasons from a few players lessening the loss plus the new signing to close that gap. Basically their reasoning we'll struggle is because we've lost 1 player. 

This also goes for most other clubs as well does it not?

Don't really understand why we are somehow going to be better, while others are going to get worse? The new signing is going to have to at least match Tammys performance/goals if we are going to stand still even.

Archived