IGNORED

Things that irritate me in football

rednotblue

What really gets my hackles up is the way players take the ball to the opposite corner  and attempt to prevent the opposition getting the ball and running down the clock.

It is a terribly negative tactic that should be banned immediately. The rule was changed in 1992 so that defenders couldn't endlessly pass the ball back to the keeper for him to pick up and that has proved a positive innovation, so why such obvious timewasting is tolerated is beyond comprehension.

1 minute ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

I don't want to get caught in the middle of your row with him, apologies for sticking my nose in, just thought when you denied any 'personal attack' on him it was worth pointing out that calling someone a liar and a troll is pretty personal...I'll step away now...

Apologies if I was a little brash with yourself.

I have a lot of time for most posters on here, even if I don't agree with them.

Robbored has quickly become a rare exception, due to his condenscention with the facepalms, and constant posts on threads he has no interest in, purely to remind us of such. Yet I'm loathe to block him because even he sometimes posts something worth reading.

11 minutes ago, WessexPest said:

What really gets my hackles up is the way players take the ball to the opposite corner  and attempt to prevent the opposition getting the ball and running down the clock.

It is a terribly negative tactic that should be banned immediately. The rule was changed in 1992 so that defenders couldn't endlessly pass the ball back to the keeper for him to pick up and that has proved a positive innovation, so why such obvious timewasting is tolerated is beyond comprehension.

unless it's us of course!

This has probably been mentioned before but giving out ******* bookings for everything, for daring to contest a header, for making a challenge with a little bit of bite in. Drives me crazy, football needs a little bit of blood and guts in it.

14 minutes ago, WessexPest said:

On a similar basis, when a defender is shepherding the ball out over the goal line, but instead of shielding the ball just blocks or  holds off the attacker and often backs into him.

Should be obstruction but is never given.

13 minutes ago, downendcity said:

On a similar basis, when a defender is shepherding the ball out over the goal line, but instead of shielding the ball just blocks or  holds off the attacker and often backs into him.

Should be obstruction but is never given.

I think that if the ball is within reach of their leg then it is classed as under control.

2 minutes ago, JamesBCFC said:

I think that if the ball is within reach of their leg then it is classed as under control.

if you have not touched the ball you are not in control and fa,pl, fifa etc can  F right off.

Cheating, pure and simple.

Not sure how to stop it, but does my head in. Wasting time, diving, feigning injury, you name it. We are also pretty hypocritical about it, one of ours does it and it's just 'playing the game'. The saying 'he is entitled to go down there', as in, he can dive, but it's ok.

And refs who think the match is about them. 

I need to sit down a while. 

20 minutes ago, reddoh said:

if you have not touched the ball you are not in control and fa,pl, fifa etc can  F right off.

Think the argument is that if the ball is 6 inches away from you and slowly rolling out, then you are very much in control. Even the least skilled of players would be able to keep the ball in.

Not saying I agree with it.

13 minutes ago, JamesBCFC said:

Think the argument is that if the ball is 6 inches away from you and slowly rolling out, then you are very much in control. Even the least skilled of players would be able to keep the ball in.

Not saying I agree with it.

Old school not touched not in control. Christian Roberts couldn't keep the ball in or out.

Jermaine Jenas and Robbie Savage talking like they were once world class pro's with a cupboard full of medals. W***ers

Also, Jim White and everybody else at SKY on Transfer Deadline Day. Overhyped and usually nothing to talk about for hours but they continue to speculate about what might happen, even though most managers and admin staff are at home watching the TV.

4 minutes ago, Champion Dung Spreader said:

"God save the queen" being played at the beginning of cup finals / playoff finals. I remember this being played at mainstream cinemas many years ago; it no longer is - why do we still have to listen to it at football?

I used to like it when BBC shutdown for the night.

I don't mind listening to it, but it isn't even the English national anthem so find it a bit weird for it to be played at internationals.

19 minutes ago, exAtyeoMax said:

I used to like it when BBC shutdown for the night.

I don't mind listening to it, but it isn't even the English national anthem so find it a bit weird for it to be played at internationals.

All the other countries in the U.K. have their own national anthem but we English have to put up with God save the Queen. It's dreary in my view.

I'd love to hear "I vow to thee my country" as our own national anthem.

On 27/07/2017 at 23:38, ziderheadarmy said:

Wine being sold inside the ground at half time. It's not a meal out it's football! 

Being unable to drink in the stand but at rugby in the same seats your encouraged to drink from a 2 pint glass! 

Grown men and women wearing replica shirts, they are for kids aged 12 and below I feel. 

Jeeze Louise let's ban wine and replica shirts on the over twelves 

11 minutes ago, Red Army 75 said:

People who think there ITK . But don't know jack shit 

Are you ITK if you know that other ITK's know jack shit? :whistle::)

39 minutes ago, Leveller said:

The PA in the Dolman. (Some angry man shouting incomprehensible twaddle through a mouth full of cotton wool)

Has that been fixed?  I was apparently the Dolman speakers being incompatible with the new hi tech sound system at AG

I'd have thought that with club being aware of the problem it would have been sorted over the summer.

It would be a real joy to hear LJ properly when he's interviewed pre match on the big screen...........

A question for AdamB I guess...

42 minutes ago, Red Army 75 said:

People who think there ITK . But don't know jack shit 

This Jack Shit character - is he the source of all the real ITK's information?

Birmingham home last game.... I know they were fighting to stay up but their tactics were a disgrace. I dont normally get irritated but their wasting time over goal kicks, throw ins, injuries, subs was unbelievable.... I wish we had relegated them just for that horrific display. I think the clock should stop when the ball goes out of play and not start again until the ball is in play.

How their GK only got a yellow card for time wasting in the 95th minute or so summed up how diabolical that game was.... 

5 minutes ago, MarkRed! said:

I think the clock should stop when the ball goes out of play and not start again until the ball is in play.

Isn't this one of the things being consider by FIFA - but making the match 60 mins instead (being about the length of a typical game at the moment if you stopped the clock when the ball isn't in play).

Not sure what I think of it really, alternative is for referees to be properly aware that one team is wanting to waste time, so they can add extra injury time/get the cards out more quickly for persistent time wasting.

10 minutes ago, Cider_boy said:

Isn't this one of the things being consider by FIFA - but making the match 60 mins instead (being about the length of a typical game at the moment if you stopped the clock when the ball isn't in play).

Not sure what I think of it really, alternative is for referees to be properly aware that one team is wanting to waste time, so they can add extra injury time/get the cards out more quickly for persistent time wasting.

I did not know this... hope they do it as it would prevent time wasting immediately. We have been done so many times by teams using these tactics and it is really frustrating as the Refs dont really do anything about it. It destroys the flow of a game. 

Archived