IGNORED

Press conference

View from the Dolman

2 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

Which is understandable.

What pisses me off is the bullshit that Flint comes out with the other night to @RedM about how it's not in his hands and acting all mopey. 

Why pretend it's not what you want when it's clearly what you want as you indicated it to the club months ago !

Exactly. When I read that Friday night . It didn't make sense . 

5 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

Which is understandable.

What pisses me off is the bullshit that Flint comes out with the other night to @RedM about how it's not in his hands and acting all mopey. 

Why pretend it's not what you want when it's clearly what you want as you indicated it to the club months ago !

It really is just a job to these players. Can you blame them? It's a short career, if I was a player I'd probably do the same. 

We like the idea that players have an emotional connection to the club, but mostly they don't.

4 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

It is not in his hands. The club wants to sell him so he has to go. 

7 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

It really is just a job to these players. Can you blame them? It's a short career, if I was a player I'd probably do the same. 

We like the idea that players have an emotional connection to the club, but mostly they don't.

Spot on . The fans only have the real connection. Some players become fans. Some owners are fans. But majority of players it's a job.

18 minutes ago, Robbored said:

That might be because LJ doesn't see him as captain material. Obviously Wilbs was the prefect choice but after him, only LJ knows.

I think he's one of those players that is 100% focused on his own game that means he wouldn't make a great pick.  @RedM has allured to him in the past being in the zone pre match and barely talking to anyone.. that's not what you need from a captain.  Not saying that's a bad thing just that it doesn't suit the role

It's interesting how regardless of what is actually said publically, people who claim to be 'in the know' manage to find narratives that fit their agendas. It would be impossible for anyone to be less 'ITK' than me- I am the Jon Snow of OTIB- so I would never accuse anyone of lying, but when you have some people claiming "I've heard Flint's being forced out" and others saying" I've heard his greedy agent is stirring the pot" someone is telling porkies

37 minutes ago, Benni said:

How is it not?

It's quite obvious that Flint/agent are looking for a move but people have rose tinted Flint glasses and cannot he see he may want to move.

Tbh I don't blame him - He's done well for us and to him its only another job but more money.

The whole cult hero status has people blinded IMO.

• Admin
43 minutes ago, Benni said:

Of course it is, he sorted himself a new contract last summer, if he wasn't interested in leaving why is his agent touting his name around?

If he wanted to stay it's very easy for him to get that message to other clubs

7 minutes ago, phantom said:

Of course it is, he sorted himself a new contract last summer, if he wasn't interested in leaving why is his agent touting his name around?

If he wanted to stay it's very easy for him to get that message to other clubs

Lee and Mark want to sell him. The club sets the price (not Flint) and Lee selects the team (not Flint). This means he's not playing if he stays and his agent has to promote him to other clubs. So, obviously, the situation is out of his hands. Why is that so difficult to understand?

• Admin
1 minute ago, Benni said:

Lee and Mark want to sell him. The club sets the price (not Flint) and Lee selects the team (not Flint). This means he's not playing if he stays and his agent has to promote him to other clubs. So, obviously, the situation is out of his hands. Why is that so difficult to understand?

Since when have they wanted to sell Flint? 

Why in press conference does LJ state we don't have to sell them?

Do you honestly think this is being driven by the club and not Flint and his agent? Do

4 minutes ago, Benni said:

That scenario is not difficult to understand but it is only one of the scenarios that has been suggested?

Why should this version be the truth?

Just now, phantom said:

Do you honestly think this is being driven by the club and not Flint and his agent?

I'm not ITK, but simply processing the various (and there are a lot) versions of events that I've seen (not necessarily all posted publicly), I have a feeling the truth is probably one which technically satisfies both versions of events, but certainly doesn't admonish the club in the way some are using today's video to do.

At a guess from piecing together storylines: Flint is another of the players to fallen out with the manager, principally because he cares a lot about City, as has long been evidenced by his on-field demeanour. He was someone who was loyal to the promotion team and Cotterill in particular, and never truly settled under Jonhson.

When the summer came round, both sides knew he would be considering his options. Now suppose for a minute there is a much earlier unreported offer this summer, that wasn't communicated to Flint. He may feel betrayed in addition to his frustration at the direction of the club. Now he does want out but the club hold all the cards.

In this situation you have someone who dearly loves the club (so people saying that are correct) but has run out of the patience with those in charge. You also have a club that doesn't want to sell (so people saying that are correct), but has pushed the player to the brink and ultimately now has to and is engineering a sale (see: Baker).

This is conjecture of course, but I can't find a better way to reconcile everything I've read and heard. Usually the truth is somewhere in the middle.

5 minutes ago, Olé said:

I'm not ITK, but simply processing the various (and there are a lot) versions of events that I've seen (not necessarily all posted publicly), I have a feeling the truth is probably one which technically satisfies both versions of events, but certainly doesn't admonish the club in the way some are using today's video to do.

At a guess from piecing together storylines: Flint is another of the players to fallen out with the manager, principally because he cares a lot about City, as has long been evidenced by his on-field demeanour. He was someone who was loyal to the promotion team and Cotterill in particular, and never truly settled under Jonhson.

When the summer came round, both sides knew he would be considering his options. Now suppose for a minute there is a much earlier unreported offer this summer, that wasn't communicated to Flint. He may feel betrayed in addition to his frustration at the direction of the club. Now he does want out but the club hold all the cards.

In this situation you have someone who dearly loves the club (so people saying that are correct) but has run out of the patience with those in charge. You also have a club that doesn't want to sell (so people saying that are correct), but has pushed the player to the brink and ultimately now has to and is engineering a sale (see: Baker).

This is conjecture of course, but I can't find a better way to reconcile everything I've read and heard. Usually the truth is somewhere in the middle.

Interesting post as usual Olé. 

Just my personal opinion but I don't know if Flint 'cares a lot about City' or 'loves the club' though. It's not as if he's an academy boy or a player that's been here years and got married, had kids here and has an emotional attachment.

He was part of one exceptional squad and I would say a more likely reality is that he cares a lot about that squad and the manager at that time rather than Bristol City FC per se.

The only two players in recent history (last 5 years or so) that spring to mind for me as examples of those that have come from outside with no connection and left caring a lot about the club are Adomah and Stead. I think those in that promotion squad care are very close though, they all seem to go to each others weddings and go on holiday together.

1 hour ago, Robbored said:

That might be because LJ doesn't see him as captain material. Obviously Wilbs was the prefect choice but after him, only LJ knows.

Nonsense, he's been asked if he'll take the captaincy more than once and turned it down to concentrate on his own game.

His own game, btw, that naturally includes leading by example.

1 minute ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Nonsense, he's been asked if he'll take the captaincy more than once and turned it down to concentrate on his own game.

His own game, btw, that naturally includes leading by example.

Just putting it out there.. but doesn't turning down the captaincy indicate he hasn't got the mental toughness to be captain? 

Surely it's a bit like penalty takers and the mental side of that, you want your strikers to be demanding to be first up in a shoot out - likewise, you want your leaders and more experienced players to be demanding captaincy if it's available. 

Not sure why Flint would feel betrayed by the club. Plays every game even when he's not at his best and there's been more investment in the squad than ever since Cotterill left. 

From what LJ said today, Flint made it known - via his agent - some time ago that he wanted to start exploring how well other clubs wouldn't pay him and he feels betrayed?! 

I think I must have missed something. 

5 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Just putting it out there.. but doesn't turning down the captaincy indicate he hasn't got the mental toughness to be captain? 

Surely it's a bit like penalty takers and the mental side of that, you want your strikers to be demanding to be first up in a shoot out - likewise, you want your leaders and more experienced players to be demanding captaincy if it's available. 

Not really imo., perhaps he's satisfied being a natural leader on the pitch but doesn't welcome the other/off field responsibilities that might go with being captain.

After all, he wouldn't have to change his game at all, he's basically a captain every time he plays, bar wearing the armband and having the title.

Archived