IGNORED

Diedhiou

Phileas Fogg

Judging by today he looks really promising. Got himself into real goalscoring positions and caused a lot of havoc on the box. Always looking to get in behind and has a proper first touch. This is the fifth best league in the world mind!

Once he gets used to the pace of the championship and the dirty tactics that you wouldn't get away with in France he'll be flying.

3 hours ago, Phileas Fogg said:

What do we reckon then?

Built on his good display vs Twente for me.

Very busy and hard working, tracks back well and creates opportunities for others. Will be a handful for opposition defences with his strength, power and athleticism. Some very intelligent passes and layoffs to other players too.

Not an instinctive poacher like Abraham I don't think, nor is he a speedy unpredictable dribbler type like Kodjia.

He has some very good strengths in his own right - has the workrate of Agard but with the power and strength of Brooker - with more vision, athleticism and technical nous than both.

Very promising signs and seems to have bonded with the team really well. Excited to see more of him.

Couldn't have put any better  totally agree with you  mate:yes:

Liked him a lot. Think in total he'll be involved in more goals than Kodjia. 15 plus  15 assists better than 25 goals. 

His intelligence and link up with others was excellent. Kodjia wanted to beat the world single handedly - FD seems to have more maturity about recognising when someone else is in a better position. 

Just now, BRISTOL86 said:

Liked him a lot. Think in total he'll be involved in more goals than Kodjia. 15 plus  15 assists better than 25 goals. 

His intelligence and link up with others was excellent. Kodjia wanted to beat the world single handedly - FD seems to have more maturity about recognising when someone else is in a better position. 

I agree, you could constantly see FD looking to track back, moving in to the channels if needs be. Good defensive set pieces. He played with his head up, Kodjia was good but it was always head down football. Whoever plays with FD is going to have a field day, as it proved today.

16 minutes ago, tinman85 said:

Had a decent game. Not a Kodjia or Tammy but a very effective target man in the Adebola mould. 

Totally different style of player to Kodjia and Abraham.. not necessarily any worse

Also he's pretty different to Adebola.. Funnily enough that's not the laziest comparison, I'm sure I heard someone texted RB saying he was similar to Kodjia when he's clearly totally different. 

A lot of comments about pace, didn't see anyone slow myself. I think he'd keep pace with most centre backs this year; he'd have gone by ours last year.

Honestly not sure I would want him quicker anyway if it detracted from his strength - especially because he showed today glimpses of very good intelligence and vision to take the ball in and release a winger. Remember saying after Kodjia's debut I'll enjoy him whilst here; I got that feeling today too.

I'm not concerned he appeared to lack composure either. Kodjia needed a few chances to score and missed many sitters. But like Kodjia, i can see many chances a game for each. 

2 minutes ago, Milan djurichimovic said:

Can't see him being paired with Đurić at all even though they would be a handful together 

If we get a flying winger in, like this Swedish lad (or preferably Albert back partly funded by Flint :yes:); these two could be lethal. 

6 hours ago, Phileas Fogg said:

What do we reckon then?

Very busy and hard working, tracks back well and creates opportunities for others. Will be a handful for opposition defences with his strength, power and athleticism. Some very intelligent passes and layoffs to other players too.

Not an instinctive poacher like Abraham I don't think, nor is he a speedy unpredictable dribbler type like Kodjia.

He has some very good strengths in his own right - has the workrate of Agard but with the power and strength of Brooker - with more vision, athleticism and technical nous than both.

Very promising signs and seems to have bonded with the team really well. Excited to see more of him.

Great to see he leads the line well wasnt offside once

Be interesting to see if his game changes if he gets the chance to play with Đurić; perhaps we'd see more of a poacher if he had to do less work (though one assist and goal on debut; what more do we want).

With the likes of Brownhill, Paterson and Bryan buzzing around two big men, you could end up really testing teams, if you put to big units up top.

All in all; decent contribution, and sure our 'makeshift' front two will have sky high confidence at the second.

Impressed by his good work. In second half, he lost the ball just inside Barnsley penalty area. Ran half the length of the pitch to win it back. That was twenty minutes from time and he was absolutely knackered after.

A goal, good link play and team effort. Appears to be good value for £5 million.

Very impressed with his workrate, linkup play, and the fact that he doesn't look like he's going to be easy to push off the ball. 

I think that once he's up to speed with the tempo of the game here, he is going to cause a lot of problems. Scoring a goal on his league debut also won't do him any harm either... 

1 minute ago, Thatch35 said:

Looks far from a goal scorer what city need. Anyone can play up top and work hard and link play but a goal scorer is needed. Reid had another pre-season game against a poor barnsley.  At the moment stop Reid and city have no goals. Funny talking about Ried as some sort of striker because that he never will be. So I know it's early days but 5.3m on a 'hard worker' isn't required, Taylor can do that every week easy and is probably a better goal scorer. Big gamble, hope it pays off and if does score 20 goals he will be off for 15m next summer!!

If teams stopped Tammy last season we would have had no goals, bit of an odd way of looking at things

I'd say Diedhiou is more than a hard worker, he can score goals and will if given the chances, brilliant header yesterday and he could very easily get 15 plus imo

4 minutes ago, Thatch35 said:

Might as well play Aiden Flint up front he can do that and better. Also he is just as quick and is 'so far' a better championship goal scorer!! :):):)

I think you might be having a smoke screen moment here, surely the success is not in the detail as to who will /won't score the goals, but more of the way the team is being coached, bright, working hard for each other, team spirit, and not a small amount of skill, which is down to one man in particular....

Lee Johnson.:chant6ez: 

13 hours ago, Phileas Fogg said:

What do we reckon then?

Haven't read the rest of the thread so apologies if this has been repeated elsewhere.

The Sky Sports reporter stated that Diedhiou absolutely terrorised Barnsley's defence & they had no answer to him.

All sounded very encouraging to me especially considering he has never played Championship football before.

12 hours ago, bearded_red said:

One negative was during the second half  when Reid zipped the ball across the six yard box Diedhiou was out near the edge of the box rather than getting himself a tap in.

Would be wrong to keep harping back to him, but no doubt our number nine last season would have been there in the danger area.

He certainly would

But the they are different players (FD will score goals that Tammy doesn't ,probably not so many, but will add different things) (e.g. certainly a physicality up to Tammy)

No one could have been a bigger fan of Tammy than me but we were not going to replace him with a clone

Plus , the small matter that Tammy is already , probably, a £30 million striker

Easy to compare the two I know , we all will naturally to some degree but think we need to avoid doing so

Just need to make up

a few of TAs goals with a few more from everyone else , a second striker (Bobby or A N Other) and the likes of Patterson , COD , etc 

Wonder  whether JB may get a handful this season & Pisano looked like he might pinch one or two;

Pisano , as a character/ experience/ and the RB position reminds me a bit of Bruno @ Brighton and if he contributes as Bruno has he'll be a good acquisition

58 minutes ago, Thatch35 said:

Looks far from a goal scorer what city need. Anyone can play up top and work hard and link play but a goal scorer is needed. Reid had another pre-season game against a poor barnsley.  At the moment stop Reid and city have no goals. Funny talking about Ried as some sort of striker because that he never will be. So I know it's early days but 5.3m on a 'hard worker' isn't required, Taylor can do that every week easy and is probably a better goal scorer. Big gamble, hope it pays off and if does score 20 goals he will be off for 15m next summer!!

He's much more than a hard worker Thatch ! (See my post above)

As decent as he is (And I think he will settle and be a good success here) I do look and think , blimey , £5 million + , but that's where footballs gone - hard to comprehend 

1 hour ago, Thatch35 said:

Do you actually understand football at all? Serious question.

Your interpretation of Diedhiou and Reid's performance and ability shows a limited grasp of how to judge a good player.

Diedhiou is so much more than a workhorse, brings others into play and defends well from the front.

Anyone can work hard, but not all players can contribute to the overall performance as cleverly and effectively as he did yesterday.

As for Reid, all he can do is score. That's exactly what 'some sort of striker' is for. 

4 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Do you actually understand football at all? Serious question.

Your interpretation of Diedhiou and Reid's performance and ability shows a limited grasp of how to judge a good player.

Diedhiou is so much more than a workhorse, brings others into play and defends well from the front.

Anyone can work hard, but not all players can contribute to the overall performance as cleverly and effectively as he did yesterday.

As for Reid, all he can do is score. That's exactly what 'some sort of striker' is for. 

And it's not been mentioned as far as I can see but thought his skill and stand up cross for FDs  goal was sublime 

Only matched by Patterson 'give them the eyes ' ball to Bobby prior to it :clap:

What pleased me personally , and something that rung potential goal scorer in BR for me was that on both goals he got in the right place for the scraps / finish , something TA was superb at

Unless it was sheer luck (Don't think so ! ) Thats a promising sign of a goal scorer IMHO

1 minute ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

And it's not been mentioned as far as I can see but thought his skill and stand up cross for FDs  goal was sublime 

Only matched by Patterson 'give them the eyes ' ball to Bobby prior to it :clap:

What pleased me personally , and something that rung potential goal scorer in BR for me was that on both goals he got in the right place for the scraps / finish , something TA was superb at

Unless it was sheer luck (Don't think so ! ) Thats a promising sign of a goal scorer IMHO

It's no coincidence that Reid has survived GJ, Coppell, Millen, Del, SO'D, Cotterill and LJ. They clearly all rate him given how quickly and ruthlessly we've got rid of youth prospects in the past.

Early days but all he can do is keep scoring and making opportunities for others.. would be great to see him fulfil his potential in a position not many of us ever thought of!

48 minutes ago, 1bristolcity said:

I think you might be having a smoke screen moment here, surely the success is not in the detail as to who will /won't score the goals, but more of the way the team is being coached, bright, working hard for each other, team spirit, and not a small amount of skill, which is down to one man in particular....

Lee Johnson.:chant6ez: 

That's the crux of it for me.

Develop standout players and unless you gain promotion they will be snapped up by other clubs.  Develop a team ethic, a way of playing, and goals throughout the team and we become more than the sum of our parts.  If players do leave we can recruit to replace roles within the system rather than recruit to replace individual players. 

I liked what I saw of Diedhiou yesterday.  Intelligent team player with vision, enough initial pace to get an edge on the last man and the strength to get past him.  Early days but promising. 

Archived