IGNORED

Diedhiou

Phileas Fogg

What do we reckon then?

Built on his good display vs Twente for me.

Very busy and hard working, tracks back well and creates opportunities for others. Will be a handful for opposition defences with his strength, power and athleticism. Some very intelligent passes and layoffs to other players too.

Not an instinctive poacher like Abraham I don't think, nor is he a speedy unpredictable dribbler type like Kodjia.

He has some very good strengths in his own right - has the workrate of Agard but with the power and strength of Brooker - with more vision, athleticism and technical nous than both.

Very promising signs and seems to have bonded with the team really well. Excited to see more of him.

1 minute ago, Londoner said:

Won't get the goals of kodjia or Tammy....will create goals for others e.g the first one.

Reminded me of Wilbs more than the former listed.

I can see a bit of Wilbraham in him too, but a bit more mobile and with a more dangerous all round game that made me think of Brooker.

I digress, but an injury-free Brooker would've been great in this division I think..

1 minute ago, Phileas Fogg said:

I can see a bit of Wilbraham in him too, but a bit more mobile and with a more dangerous all round game that made me think of Brooker.

I digress, but an injury-free Brooker would've been great in this division I think..

Agree, we were talking about Brooker today. He would've been a big big threat in this division, such a shame that his injuries buggered his career up, was a great striker. 

Will punch holes in defences and open up opportunities for others (a la the first)

stronger than Tammy and possibly does more 'defensively'

Won't get as many as Tammy but good player and signining by the looks

Was thinking - imagine him and Tammy up front together !!!

#ReturnoftheCHIEF

9 minutes ago, Londoner said:

Won't get the goals of kodjia or Tammy....will create goals for others e.g the first one.

Reminded me of Wilbs more than the former listed.

Agree 're wilbs. Disagree re goals though. Looks like he will need 5 chances to score sure, but through his industry he will get many chances a game. Very, very excited about him. 

Good all round player.  I so like seeing a player who can play off either foot comfortably.

Links it well, but also a threat in behind, even without blistering pace.  Very good awareness of others too, both back to goal and when he has pulled off defender.

A lot to like on early impressions.

Said it before but he reminds me of the ex-Arsenal, ex-Everton player, Kevin Campbell.

4 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

Strong, direct, aggressive and a very decent debut.

Was knackered in the last 10 minutes though, so perhaps the Wilbs comparison is not a million miles out. 

I'm guessing he's slightly behind in his fitness and not quite ready for 90 minutes just yet.

2 minutes ago, David Brent said:

I'm guessing he's slightly behind in his fitness and not quite ready for 90 minutes just yet.

Certainly the case today. Would've been nice for Bob to have stayed on and given him maybe another 14 minutes to press for a hatrick. 

24 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Will punch holes in defences and open up opportunities for others (a la the first)

stronger than Tammy and possibly does more 'defensively'

Won't get as many as Tammy but good player and signining by the looks

Was thinking - imagine him and Tammy up front together !!!

#ReturnoftheCHIEF

Yep - more Allison or Akinbiyi for me.

Looked to link up well with others and didn't go head-down for goal every time - spread play when it was the better option. Good application and seems to want to give the centre halves a rough ride - usually with a well-timed shoulder. If he's left one-on-one and the ball is lofted over the top, he shows a distinct appetite.

2 minutes ago, Calculus said:

Am sure this must have been covered on other theads but if anyone knows the answer I'd be grateful: 

What the hell is it with the Kodjia style arm bandage?

Is Angers a particularly rough place?

Not at all.

I think they are just trying to fit in here in the UK by paying homage to Keith Lemon.

9 minutes ago, ralphindevon said:

He was struggling from 65 minutes onwards, very surprised LJ didn't take him off but at least he's now got 90 minutes under his belt.

I don't think we can judge for a month or 2 but a debut goal is all you can ask. 

I thought this as well but then thought it was better to keep him on for the minutes for his fitness to improve

One negative was during the second half  when Reid zipped the ball across the six yard box Diedhiou was out near the edge of the box rather than getting himself a tap in.

Would be wrong to keep harping back to him, but no doubt our number nine last season would have been there in the danger area.

Archived