IGNORED

Diedhiou

Phileas Fogg

5 minutes ago, Judda said:

My only concern is he looked slow. Good all round otherwise. 

Bound to take him a while to adjust to the pace of the Championship, most foreign players don`t play in such a fast and intense league.

He was definitely looking leggy after about 70 but that will improve I`m sure.

I was impressed as well, especially first half.  Second half he seemed to run out of steam after he went chasing around.  Tammy wouldn't waste his energy doing that and waited til he needed to get a shift on.

What did disappoint was his shooting from range, never looked threatening and wasted some good opportunities.  He even played an aimless ball into the box when he could have drove into the box and really put them under pressure.

I think he will do good, but needs to get used to the league and team mates. Overall a great start to his City career.

4 hours ago, Thatch35 said:

Tammy....well nobody could stop him ALL season due to his class. Reid no way in his class.

If you read the post's on here nobody has concluded he is a 'goal scorer'. Same a me. All said he worked for the team which is fine and true. I think that yes he will be a team player but not the striker city need ie a 20 scorer. There is nothing wrong with that point of view. As per my original post I hope he scores 20. In fact someone needs to score 20 or by some miracle all the other team members will need to chip in massively which has not happened for years. Do you think city will stay up without someone scoring 20 or I guess you think the others lads will chip in? Have a discussion for once, all you do is write abuse rather than have a discussion.its 

I not sure about the need for a 20 goal striker to stay up only 4 managed it last season. Only 10 got 15 or more. Its quite possible to play well and successfully without relying on 1 player to get the goals.

17 minutes ago, RichardEdd said:

I not sure about the need for a 20 goal striker to stay up only 4 managed it last season. Only 10 got 15 or more. Its quite possible to play well and successfully without relying on 1 player to get the goals.

Agree.  Bit of a phallacy, and as you say very few achieve it each season.  Some get there because they take penalties too.  We've been 'fortunate' to have 23 and 19 goal strikers in the last two seasons whilst struggling.  In some ways it's been our saviour.

The old adage of a goal every other game in the league is tough to maintain over a couple / few seasons, albeit I think there have been more in the last 5 years that historically.

If Diedhiou gets 15 (playing 40+) games I'd consider him to be a decent goal scorer.

6 minutes ago, cynic said:

I think this has been pointed out so many times to a few people who think every team depends upon one player - a very simplistic view.

You are wasting yer time pointing it out mate :yes:

It`s mainly because that`s what the last two seasons have come down to for us but it is by no means the norm, you`re dead right about that. Most teams with a 20 goal striker are in the top six all season.

4 minutes ago, Red Right Hand said:

It`s mainly because that`s what the last two seasons have come down to for us but it is by no means the norm, you`re dead right about that. Most teams with a 20 goal striker are in the top six all season.

Interesting stats on that. 

"A total of 17 teams to finish outside of the top six over the last 10 seasons have had players who scored 20 or more goals. That’s only three fewer than all those who finished in the top six."

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/you-need-20-goal-season-287097.amp

Just now, ExiledAjax said:

Interesting stats on that. 

"A total of 17 teams to finish outside of the top six over the last 10 seasons have had players who scored 20 or more goals. That’s only three fewer than all those who finished in the top six."

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/you-need-20-goal-season-287097.amp

Now that does surprise me. I suppose last season with us being the exception to Leeds, Brighton and Newcastle has made me think it is normal.

1 minute ago, Red Right Hand said:

Now that does surprise me. I suppose last season with us being the exception to Leeds, Brighton and Newcastle has made me think it is normal.

There's no doubt it's handy to have a lad score 20+ for you. But it's not an essential to do with well. I guess the key is getting 70 odd goals over a season - wherever they may come from.

11 minutes ago, Red Right Hand said:

In our championship season  in league one, I reckon the only player who didn't score was Fielding!  (Cue reminders of several one match players who didn't score!)

4 minutes ago, Red Right Hand said:

What it does mean though is that out of 240 teams in the championship in the last ten years only 37 have had a 20 goal or more striker - 15% or so - so it does prove the point that it isn`t the norm.

I'm just excited that for the perhaps the third season in a row it looks like we may have found a guy who's capable of getting into the high teens and low twenties. 

Honestly cant wait for Brentford away and my first match this season.

Just now, Red Right Hand said:

You are right I think except that Korey only scored in the JPT and not the league.

Thanks. As you'll have gathered from most of my posts, they're fairly random and rarely accurate - but this is otib!

24 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

I'm just excited that for the perhaps the third season in a row it looks like we may have found a guy who's capable of getting into the high teens and low twenties. 

Honestly cant wait for Brentford away and my first match this season.

Bobby Reid? 

2 minutes ago, Thatch35 said:

Its more than fortunate - For City its been a life line. 

Lots of talk about other clubs - But the rest of City's team don't contribute enough, thats my point. I'm not interested in other clubs. City have not signed a new attacking midfielder with proven goals in the champ or league 1, its the same squad as last season or even from SC.

No...once again..have a think. City have relied on a one person scoring all the goals to help City stay in the championship. Forget when GJ was in charge, the league is totally different.

Its a fact. Some of you get all funny with my posts, but what I have said is a fact......If this guy doesnt score roughly 20 goals then I can't see where the goals will come from to keep City up. I'm hoping Taylor proves his worth.

Thatch - you've started to go beyond one word, short sentence answers.  You may differ in opinion, but at least you give your reasons.  That's fine by me.  

24 minutes ago, Northern Red said:

Our top scorer when we reached the playoff final in this league under GJ was Byfield with 8 goals, or thereabouts.

Basically, Thatch is talking out of his hole, although it's probably all very deliberate.

Diedhiou has already outscored Fielding, Giefer, O'Donnell and Lucic combined.

Using Thatchlogic the new bloke is world class.

7 minutes ago, Thatch35 said:

Once again. ..rubbish responce, nothing added to the debate...lazing boring worthless drivel. 

Just applied the logic you used in an earlier post of yours.

You moaned because Diedhiou hasn't scored as many goals as Flint, so then that must mean you were expecting him to score dozen on Saturday, as Flint has 11 goals in the Championship.

Or was that post simply you looking to be as negative as possible as usual?

On 05/08/2017 at 18:52, Phileas Fogg said:

What do we reckon then?

Built on his good display vs Twente for me.

Very busy and hard working, tracks back well and creates opportunities for others. Will be a handful for opposition defences with his strength, power and athleticism. Some very intelligent passes and layoffs to other players too.

Not an instinctive poacher like Abraham I don't think, nor is he a speedy unpredictable dribbler type like Kodjia.

He has some very good strengths in his own right - has the workrate of Agard but with the power and strength of Brooker - with more vision, athleticism and technical nous than both.

Very promising signs and seems to have bonded with the team really well. Excited to see more of him.

yes agree thought he led the line well an was great to see that he wasnt caught offside very often

Archived