IGNORED

Diedhiou

Phileas Fogg

Good luck to him in this league.....he's got his first competitive game out of the way and he's scored (although undoubtedly he'll come up against far stronger and meaner defences than the Tykes..), so the immediate pressure is off his shoulders. He'll know what's expected and he'll know the boots he has to fill, but the onus shouldn't be just placed fairly and squarely on his shoulders, the team have a collective responsibility as one to score as well as defend.

He got a great poachers instinct goal yesterday and i'm sure he's thinking to himself, 'this ain't the French league i'm used to!'. Talented, raw, unknown quantity. Let's back him!

14 hours ago, Phileas Fogg said:

What do we reckon then?

Built on his good display vs Twente for me.

Very busy and hard working, tracks back well and creates opportunities for others. Will be a handful for opposition defences with his strength, power and athleticism. Some very intelligent passes and layoffs to other players too.

Not an instinctive poacher like Abraham I don't think, nor is he a speedy unpredictable dribbler type like Kodjia.

He has some very good strengths in his own right - has the workrate of Agard but with the power and strength of Brooker - with more vision, athleticism and technical nous than both.

Very promising signs and seems to have bonded with the team really well. Excited to see more of him.

Your best ever post!!

1 hour ago, Tipps69 said:

Haven't read the rest of the thread so apologies if this has been repeated elsewhere.

The Sky Sports reporter stated that Diedhiou absolutely terrorised Barnsley's defence & they had no answer to him.

All sounded very encouraging to me especially considering he has never played Championship football before.

I think the Sky Sports Reporter was exaggerating - but if you read the posts on here, you'll get a fairly accurate view of his he played - which was good.

He is not Tammy, he is not Kodjia....but Tammy and Kodjia aren't Diedhiou either.  The comparisons are futile.  He is more of an all-round footballer than both of those.  Combine all three of them and you'd probably have a £50m striker.

Has lots going for him, two good feet, good intelligence in his movement, gets in good positions as a result....goals 1 & 2 for example.

Exactly the type of display I saw in highlights last season at SCO Angers, having been put on alert of him by @Shtanley 18 months ago.

9 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I think the Sky Sports Reporter was exaggerating - but if you read the posts on here, you'll get a fairly accurate view of his he played - which was good.

He is not Tammy, he is not Kodjia....but Tammy and Kodjia aren't Diedhiou either.  The comparisons are futile.  He is more of an all-round footballer than both of those.  Combine all three of them and you'd probably have a £50m striker.

Has lots going for him, two good feet, good intelligence in his movement, gets in good positions as a result....goals 1 & 2 for example.

Exactly the type of display I saw in highlights last season at SCO Angers, having been put on alert of him by @Shtanley 18 months ago.

@Shtanley knows his stuff.. been a big advocate of Reid for a long time.

His latest prediction is Lloyd Kelly to blossom this season.. worth keeping an eye on given Shtanley's track record.

1 hour ago, Thatch35 said:

Looks far from a goal scorer what city need. Anyone can play up top and work hard and link play but a goal scorer is needed. Reid had another pre-season game against a poor barnsley.  At the moment stop Reid and city have no goals. Funny talking about Ried as some sort of striker because that he never will be. So I know it's early days but 5.3m on a 'hard worker' isn't required, Taylor can do that every week easy and is probably a better goal scorer. Big gamble, hope it pays off and if does score 20 goals he will be off for 15m next summer!!

How many did you expect Reid and Diedhiou to score as a partnership? 6? Thought Diedhiou and Reid work incredibly well together as a partnership let's hope it carries on.

37 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

It's no coincidence that Reid has survived GJ, Coppell, Millen, Del, SO'D, Cotterill and LJ. They clearly all rate him given how quickly and ruthlessly we've got rid of youth prospects in the past.

Early days but all he can do is keep scoring and making opportunities for others.. would be great to see him fulfil his potential in a position not many of us ever thought of!

Definitely esp LJ as he played with him and now manages him. Fair point there.

If I read "it was only Barnsley ' one more time!

We can only play the team in front of us and I think we did that brilliantly. Bobby and FD worked really well together and were real handfuls.  What more could you ask for?

I know we'll have tougher test but last be positive and feel encouraged 

:yahoo:

2 hours ago, Thatch35 said:

Looks far from a goal scorer what city need. Anyone can play up top and work hard and link play but a goal scorer is needed. Reid had another pre-season game against a poor barnsley.  At the moment stop Reid and city have no goals. Funny talking about Ried as some sort of striker because that he never will be. So I know it's early days but 5.3m on a 'hard worker' isn't required, Taylor can do that every week easy and is probably a better goal scorer. Big gamble, hope it pays off and if does score 20 goals he will be off for 15m next summer!!

Sorry, but that's got to be a troll comment. How can he not look a goalscorer when he scored a goal? 

5 minutes ago, Luxo Jr. said:

Sorry, but that's got to be a troll comment. How can he not look a goalscorer when he scored a goal? 

Wasn't a fluke type goal either. Worked his way back post to the smaller full back and powered through him with a clinical header. Also for the first goal, the run and the touch to even get half a chance was magnificent. For me, he looks more of a goal scorer than I first thought and the way we play, he can get 20. If he gets 15 it's a success but he's got the ability to get more. 23 league goals from tammy will be hard to replicate but Diedhiou has the ability to get close. 

18 minutes ago, shelts said:

He looks a good footballer . Strong in all areas . I like the way he just slotted in and looked like hes been playing for us for years. A truly modern pro. Big unit in all

Another great point. He's had a whole preseason but still, to slot in that seamlessly not only when we have the ball but when we are defending was brilliant. Think he's an intelligent footballer. Looks the real deal. 

1 hour ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

And it's not been mentioned as far as I can see but thought his skill and stand up cross for FDs  goal was sublime 

Only matched by Patterson 'give them the eyes ' ball to Bobby prior to it :clap:

What pleased me personally , and something that rung potential goal scorer in BR for me was that on both goals he got in the right place for the scraps / finish , something TA was superb at

Unless it was sheer luck (Don't think so ! ) Thats a promising sign of a goal scorer IMHO

Also impressed me the way he got into the defenders to try and receive passes and hold the ball up. He'll never be the strongest man on the pitch but he's stronger than he gets credit for. Easier to knock off the ball when he's moving but he had a few moments holding off the defender that surprised me a bit. Those couple of volleyed passes where great as well. Bobby has always been a good player in my eyes but think the position change enhances his good traits while making his less than stellar ones less relevant. 

2 hours ago, Thatch35 said:

Why don't you do something positive about this instead of just being a WUM?

You should've given him a loud boo each time he touched the ball, although the booing wouldn't have been aimed at him but at SL and the directors for having splashed out five million plus on a player whose role anyone can fill.

4 hours ago, Thatch35 said:

Incredible! 

Thatch35 - The gift that keeps on giving. 

Amazing.. 

52 minutes ago, Thatch35 said:

Your pretty thick really...and you call me a wum. :laugh:. Having agreed with everyone he is a hard worker etc etc, but my point being he dosent look like a 20 goal striker city need to stay in the league. Last season and previous seasons other goal contributres have been minimal and not enough to keep city up. Read and think before you post...dear oh dear. Proper thickuns er!

He has played one game and scored one goal. I'm not sure how anyone can reach the conclusion that he is not a goalscorer on such limited evidence.

54 minutes ago, Thatch35 said:

Your pretty thick really...and you call me a wum. :laugh:. Having agreed with everyone he is a hard worker etc etc, but my point being he dosent look like a 20 goal striker city need to stay in the league. Last season and previous seasons other goal contributres have been minimal and not enough to keep city up. Read and think before you post...dear oh dear. Proper thickuns er!

You're quite right. I am thick. I responded to your drivel.

As you stated in your original post that if opponents stop Reid then City will have no goals. I am only glad our opponents last season didn't figure out that if they stopped Tammy then City would have no goals or if the previous season they had stopped JK there would have been the same negative outcome from our perspective.

I wouldn't bother ever buying a decent goalscorer ever again as applying your logic all the opponents would need to do is to stop them and it would completely nullify them and us.

22 minutes ago, chinapig said:

He has played one game and scored one goal. I'm not sure how anyone can reach the conclusion that he is not a goalscorer on such limited evidence.

China, it's an improvement on the normal OTIB form, where posters reach the conclusion about a player before he's even played one game for the club!

6 hours ago, Thatch35 said:

There's that bloody opinion again

6 hours ago, 1bristolcity said:

I think you might be having a smoke screen moment here, surely the success is not in the detail as to who will /won't score the goals, but more of the way the team is being coached, bright, working hard for each other, team spirit, and not a small amount of skill, which is down to one man in particular....

Lee Johnson.:chant6ez: 

He's certainly been smoking something .

Tammy....well nobody could stop him ALL season due to his class. Reid no way in his class.

If you read the post's on here nobody has concluded he is a 'goal scorer'. Same a me. All said he worked for the team which is fine and true. I think that yes he will be a team player but not the striker city need ie a 20 scorer. There is nothing wrong with that point of view. As per my original post I hope he scores 20. In fact someone needs to score 20 or by some miracle all the other team members will need to chip in massively which has not happened for years. Do you think city will stay up without someone scoring 20 or I guess you think the others lads will chip in? Have a discussion for once, all you do is write abuse rather than have a discussion.

Yes, Thatch.

Only 4 players scored 20 plus league goals in the Champ last season - Chris Wood, Tammy, Dwight Gayle and Glenn Murray. 

If we can ship fewer goals than last season (66) - and I am now more coming round to the view of those that believe Wright and Baker will be an upgrade on Flint plus Mags or whoever (a decent right back will certainly help, too) - then we won't need to score any more than we did with Tammy (or possibly even as many). Early days, but there are some encouraging indications so far that LJ has recruited better than 12 months ago and that we have - or will have, with a couple more new faces - more than enough to be comfortably midtable-ish. Given that we can look forward to a unified group this season - and with a good (or bang average) sprinkling of luck - I can see no reason why we shouldn't not only stay up, but also improve on last season too.

In 2008 we scored 54.

In 2013 we scored 59.

Tammy....well nobody could stop him ALL season due to his class. Reid no way in his class.

If you read the post's on here nobody has concluded he is a 'goal scorer'. Same a me. All said he worked for the team which is fine and true. I think that yes he will be a team player but not the striker city need ie a 20 scorer. There is nothing wrong with that point of view. As per my original post I hope he scores 20. In fact someone needs to score 20 or by some miracle all the other team members will need to chip in massively which has not happened for years. Do you think city will stay up without someone scoring 20 or I guess you think the others lads will chip in? Have a discussion for once, all you do is write abuse rather than have a discussion.

But you have concluded on the evidence of one game that he is not. Seems a little premature.

Then again we've had many a player written off on here before they have even signed.:facepalm:

3 minutes ago, Thatch35 said:

Indeed I have....because that what i said..thats my opinion.  You just stated what  I said. It's not premature you can see easily that maybe he's a target man...get Taylor up near him then maybe he can score 15 (Taylor that is).

My point is that opinions are usually based on evidence. I can't reach an opinion because there isn't enough evidence yet. I'm surprised anybody can be so certain until he has played enough games to judge is all.

But maybe it's just the way you expressed it that suggested you had written him off as a goalscorer already.

8 hours ago, Thatch35 said:

Might as well play Aiden Flint up front he can do that and better. Also he is just as quick and is 'so far' a better championship goal scorer!! :):):)

Thatch talking bollocks shocker.

Flint has scored more goals than Diedhiou, yes.

But he has played 90+ games and scored 5-6?

Diedhiou has played one and scored one.

Did you take lessons in talking out of your arse, or is it a natural talent of yours?

22 hours ago, Phileas Fogg said:

What do we reckon then?

Built on his good display vs Twente for me.

Very busy and hard working, tracks back well and creates opportunities for others. Will be a handful for opposition defences with his strength, power and athleticism. Some very intelligent passes and layoffs to other players too.

Not an instinctive poacher like Abraham I don't think, nor is he a speedy unpredictable dribbler type like Kodjia.

He has some very good strengths in his own right - has the workrate of Agard but with the power and strength of Brooker - with more vision, athleticism and technical nous than both.

Very promising signs and seems to have bonded with the team really well. Excited to see more of him.

A new Steve Brooker, I love it.  Can we work the classic Ohh Stevie Brooker, Steve, Stevie Brooker song, to fit for Fammy?

I used to enjoy singing that song for the entire game, until the words transformed into thousands of strange variations.

Archived