IGNORED

Joe Bryan Is NOT A Leftback......

Taz

8 minutes ago, spudski said:

I still think we need that commanding DCM player more so now though.

If Flint goes, Wilbs gone, O'neil imo past it....who's going to be the Leader of men on the pitch? Who's got the experience and presence to lead the younger less experienced?

Smith? I'm not so sure. Who knows...maybe he will be the one. Hopefully he will be, but I have my doubts as to whether he can go a season.

Like you said though...very encouraging. Looking forward to the season and how we progress.

Bailey Wright? Marlon perhaps? He seems to be maturing and I can see him as a future captain.

24 minutes ago, spudski said:

Fair points EMB.

Like I said, I think LJ is trying to find players that can play in various roles depending on who we are playing against.

I've seen nothing to suggest since LJ has been in charge, that he will play with wide players in the role of a winger who gets to the bye line and crosses on a regular basis.

If we do cross...more often than not it will come from a probing full back. Bryan and Pisano yesterday.

Which is where I think he will rely on crosses coming from if that is the game plan.

Our midfield play narrower and tend to rely on making play in front of the 18 yard box.

As for recruitment...it's been very much as to the blueprint. Buy players that are ok with the potential to get better.

Which is fair enough, as we can't compete financially with the bigger boys. However...improving generally happens with regular game time and work on the training fields.

I've seen improvement in some...others not so much, but still potential.

Eliasson might be a nice addition...depends on how LJ wants him to play.

I still think we need that commanding DCM player more so now though.

If Flint goes, Wilbs gone, O'neil imo past it....who's going to be the Leader of men on the pitch? Who's got the experience and presence to lead the younger less experienced?

Smith? I'm not so sure. Who knows...maybe he will be the one. Hopefully he will be, but I have my doubts as to whether he can go a season.

Like you said though...very encouraging. Looking forward to the season and how we progress.

I've thought for 3 seasons now that the single most important position we need to improve is the guy who sits in central midfield patrolling the area 5-10 yards outside our area.

At times, we simply disappear in that area.  Smith (or O'Neil) should be there but disappear.  Pack is occasionally there but doesn't have the mobility to recover if someone goes past him.

This was proved yesterday when their player hit the bar from that area.  [It doesn't help that Fielding seems to have lead in his boots when shots come in from those areas.  Recall the daisy cutters that inexplicably went past him from those areas last season]

If we improve that position...

Archived