IGNORED

Joe Bryan Is NOT A Leftback......

Taz

...was my opinion before yesterday. After yesterday's game however, I think I may have changed my mind.

I paid a lot of attention to him yesterday, and have to say I thought that he was absolutely brilliant (although not the only player). His positioning in the first half (as I was that side of the pitch) was brilliant, he put in a few good challenges in and around the box, his movement up the pitch was very good (as was Pisano), and his all round game just seemed to be so much better than last season.

I'm not a big fan of Johnson, and have said many times that Joe is not a left back. I am quite prepared after yesterday's match however, to say I was wrong.

Also as a side note, I thought the shape we played with yesterday was brilliant. When Frankie had the ball, both Bryan and Pisano were very nearly on the half way line, with Hegeler and Wright (both very impressive) on the edge of the box, and Pack and Smith just ahead of them acting as deep midfielders. I thought that this worked extremely well. Every player always seemed to want the ball, we pressed very well, and Barnsley couldn't cope with it at all.

Finally, and this may go down like a lead balloon, I thought that we lost our shape when Flint came on the pitch, which also coincided with losing a goal. On yesterday's showing, Hegeler and Wright are going to be very hard to get ahead of. We aren't going to miss Flint as much as some may think, if and when he leaves.

Very impressed with yesterday's performance. If we keep on playing like that, then we will not be worrying about relegation at all.

Lee Johnson may just be starting to work his magic.....

2 minutes ago, Taz said:

...was my opinion before yesterday. After yesterday's game however, I think I may have changed my mind.

I paid a lot of attention to him yesterday, and have to say I thought that he was absolutely brilliant (although not the only player). His positioning in the first half (as I was that side of the pitch) was brilliant, he put in a few good challenges in and around the box, his movement up the pitch was very good (as was Pisano), and his all round game just seemed to be so much better than last season.

I'm not a big fan of Johnson, and have said many times that Joe is not a left back. I am quite prepared after yesterday's match however, to say I was wrong.

Also as a side note, I thought the shape we played with yesterday was brilliant. When Frankie had the ball, both Bryan and Pisano were very nearly on the half way line, with Hegeler and Wright (both very impressive) on the edge of the box, and Pack and Smith just ahead of them acting as deep midfielders. I thought that this worked extremely well. Every player always seemed to want the ball, we pressed very well, and Barnsley couldn't cope with it at all.

Finally, and this may go down like a lead balloon, I thought that we lost our shape when Flint came on the pitch, which also coincided with losing a goal. On yesterday's showing, Hegeler and Wright are going to be very hard to get ahead of. We aren't going to miss Flint as much as some may think.

Couldn't agree more, in fact Bailey Wright looked far more accomplished than Flint ever looks, add Baker in to the mix and the writing looks to be on the wall

1 minute ago, Port Said Red said:

I do agree with the comments about Hegeler and  Wright, the only caveat I would add is that Barnsleys set piece ball was generally poor and they had little to do aerially.

If they play next Saturday they will get more of a test at Brum. I think Frankie will miss Flint in away matches as he'll have to come out and catch more, we'll have to wait and see.

1 minute ago, ashton_fan said:

If they play next Saturday they will get more of a test at Brum. I think Frankie will miss Flint in away matches as he'll have to come out and catch more, we'll have to wait and see.

It did cross my mind that this might be our "home" pairing, and that Baker or Flint (if he ends up staying) might be drafted in for away games when we are likely to be soaking up more pressure.

Of the two, Flint and Bryan, Joey is definitely the one we should be trying hardest to hold on to. I did say to myself when Flint came on "I bet we concede now..." can't really blame the goal on Flint but I think his arrival at the back unsettled us, but if that was his final bow then I can understand the appearance, but after yesterday's showing, he won't be missed. 

Bryan, excellent. If he can keep up that level of performance all season then this will be his last here no doubt about it, but if he does we're looking at 10m+ if someone wants him, a win win for us. 

The guy really shut the critics on this forum up and put in a great performance and showed why he is in such high demand. Not only was he incredible going forward he looked more solid defensively which is what he struggled at last season. More of the same please Joe (as long as it's for us!).

1 minute ago, Flint says No said:

The guy really shit the critics on this forum up and put in a great performance and showed why he is in such high demand. Not only was he incredible going forward he looked more solid defensively which is what he struggled at last season. More of the same please Joe (as long as it's for us!).

As typos go :)

9 minutes ago, Tuggin over Tomlin said:

Of the two, Flint and Bryan, Joey is definitely the one we should be trying hardest to hold on to. I did say to myself when Flint came on "I bet we concede now..." can't really blame the goal on Flint but I think his arrival at the back unsettled us, but if that was his final bow then I can understand the appearance, but after yesterday's showing, he won't be missed. 

Bryan, excellent. If he can keep up that level of performance all season then this will be his last here no doubt about it, but if he does we're looking at 10m+ if someone wants him, a win win for us. 

LJ said post match that City would only let Bryan go if a PL club came in for him. That obviously means a juicy fee for a clubs academy graduate.

Every player yesterday was excellent. I was very impressed with performance and left AG with that "buzz" that I didn't get much last season.

21 minutes ago, Taz said:

Finally, and this may go down like a lead balloon, I thought that we lost our shape when Flint came on the pitch, which also coincided with losing a goal. On yesterday's showing, Hegeler and Wright are going to be very hard to get ahead of. We aren't going to miss Flint as much as some may think, if and when he leaves.

Very impressed with yesterday's performance. If we keep on playing like that, then we will not be worrying about relegation at all.

I think Jamie Mac may have had some positive influence on JB. His positioning, like you say was much better. He can still improve on not allowing crosses coming in though.

Our whole back four looked far more mobile and confident imo.

Pisano was a breath of fresh air...positionally good, mobile, strong, good at crossing, good link up play etc,etc.

I also agree about Flint...he has his positives...Team leader, ball winner and threat at set pieces. However...I always thought him and Wright were too similar and immobile at CB together. I liked having Wright with his ball winning skills, and the astuteness and vision and ball skills of Hegeler next to him.

Having Baker and Wright together, actually doesn't fill me with confidence...again too similar. If it was to happen...then I'd prefer to have Hegeler playing next to Pack in CM.

I thought the team yesterday looked very balanced with plenty of energy and movement. Something we've lacked last season in certain places.

If we could find a more dominate fiery ball winner with lots of energy and mobility to compliment and play alongside Pack instead of Smith, it would help over the course of the season.

I think an upgrade on Smith and O'neil is needed if we wish to kick on again...I see both of them as being lower Championship quality or 'back up/squad players in the DCM position.

Too early to tell yet, as we will face far sterner opposition...but on yesterdays performance, mid table should be achievable.

Just now, spudski said:

I think Jamie Mac may have had some positive influence on JB. His positioning, like you say was much better. He can still improve on not allowing crosses coming in though.

Pisano was a breath of fresh air...positionally good, mobile, strong, good at crossing, good link up play etc,etc.

I also agree about Flint...he has his positives...Team leader, ball winner and threat at set pieces. However...I always thought him and Wright were too similar and immobile at CB together. I liked having Wright with his ball winning skills, and the astuteness and vision and ball skills of Hegeler next to him.

Having Baker and Wright together, actually doesn't fill me with confidence...again too similar. If it was to happen...then I'd prefer to have Hegeler playing next to Pack in CM.

I thought the team yesterday looked very balanced with plenty of energy and movement. Something we've lacked last season in certain places.

If we could find a more dominate fiery ball winner with lots of energy and mobility to compliment and play alongside Pack instead of Smith, it would help over the course of the season.

I think an upgrade on Smith and O'neil is needed if we wish to kick on again...I see both of them as being lower Championship quality or 'back up/squad players in the DCM position.

Too early to tell yet, as we will face far sterner opposition...but on yesterdays performance, mid table should be achievable.

Welcome back :thumbsup:

5 minutes ago, Robbored said:

LJ said post match that City would only let Bryan go if a PL club came in for him. That obviously means a juicy fee for a clubs academy graduate.

Every player yesterday was excellent. I was very impressed with performance and left AG with that "buzz" that I didn't get much last season.

The truth is it doesn't matter who comes in for Bryan, he has a price tag and if it's met it will be accepted, prem or Championship, as we found out with kodjia. It's then up to Joe if he wants the move. 

3 minutes ago, spudski said:

Agree 100% about Jamie Mac.

Welcome back as well :thumbsup:

22 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Surely you left with a buzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz RR :whistle::)

20 minutes ago, spudski said:

Good to see you back Spuski.

A good game to resume no doubt, but as you say tougher tasks ahead, when we can better gauge if this team can progress as we all hope.

11 minutes ago, Tuggin over Tomlin said:

The truth is it doesn't matter who comes in for Bryan, he has a price tag and if it's met it will be accepted, prem or Championship, as we found out with kodjia. It's then up to Joe if he wants the move. 

Not according to LJ yesterday. He mentioned the PL because of the fee City would want. I interpreted that as most Championship clubs not being able to afford the asking price.

21 minutes ago, spudski said:

Agreed...and welcome back!

1 hour ago, Taz said:

To be fair changing a back four so late in a game will always cause issues regardless of goes off/comes on, such a hard position to come on to

9 minutes ago, MarcusX said:

To be fair changing a back four so late in a game will always cause issues regardless of goes off/comes on, such a hard position to come on to

And it meant Wright switching to left side of a two, no coincidence that he got caught a bit wrong-footed for their goal.  Why not bring Magnússon on?

.....or was a Flint's goodbye?

Great post. After Brentford away last year I concluded Bryan was not a left back. Wide and fast counter attack and he couldn't cope nor adjust. I also reluctantly joined the Johnson out viewpoint. 

Delighted to be wrong and looking forward to redressing that away performance in the game after next. 

1 hour ago, Robbored said:

Not according to LJ yesterday. He mentioned the PL because of the fee City would want. I interpreted that as most Championship clubs not being able to afford the asking price.

Didn't hear that, must be some fee as the championship is now getting closer each season to the 20m mark. Wouldn't surprise me if next summer someone hits that! With a bit of luck it's for Bryan :laugh:

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

And it meant Wright switching to left side of a two, no coincidence that he got caught a bit wrong-footed for their goal.  Why not bring Magnússon on?

.....or was a Flint's goodbye?

Almost certainly it was but LJ showed us yesterday that Flint wouldn't be missed. 

LJ also praised Hegelar as CB especially him bringing the ball out of defence...........something Flint couldn't do.

2 hours ago, spudski said:

I agree with almost everything that you say, Joe is a bright boy let's hope that Jamie Mac's influence is improving him from the left back of last season and that improvement is consistent.

As for Smith I just cannot agree, twice yesterday in the first half Smith came to the rescue of lazy passes by Reid (not a criticism of Reid he was terrific, but they were lazy passes) he also came to the rescue of similar misplaced passes during the game from Patterson (at least 3 times) Brownhill and several others, he is great at clearing up other players messes, that is his strength and to be fair after a couple of his own misplaced passes in the first half, he played it far simpler during the second, he gave Pack the freedom to play in the way he did yesterday (the most creative I have ever seen him play), instead of them both trying to play the same clearing up game, for me there will be few better in this league at what Smith does best and so necessary to the team.

What I did notice was that when not defending Hegeler sometimes stepped up into a defensive midfield position, allowing Smith to hold on the halfway line and Pack to support Reid, I cannot recall us being caught out short of numbers by a quick breakaway unlike last season, I also recall that one more than several occasions Smith dropping in to cover Hegeler in the back 4 when Hegeler ventured upfield, Reid also dropped back into midfield when necessary and on more than several occasions chased down his own misplaced passes, even Diedhiou was keen to chase back to rectify stray passes.

In short the midfield yesterday looked everything that it was not last season, busy, hard working, ganging up on the Barnsley midfield, bullying and aided by full backs aware of their responsibilities and most importantly a midfield actually aware of where the rest of the midfield were at any given time.

I would suggest we need a wide player who can deliver a cross and can take free kicks an area that was still not great yesterday, early days but if the midfield and full backs can operate week in week out like yesterday that is one huge improvement from last season.

Archived