IGNORED

The official Bristol City FC v Plymouth Argyle FC in the Carabao Cup match day thread

Septic Peg

6 hours ago, Loon plage said:

Yep so they drown out the home support.

I know the home numbers are bigger and we should drown them out instead but it rarely seems to work like that. The best experiences in recent years for City for me has been when we have gone away in massive numbers and you couldnt really hear the home lot. People tend to behave more fervently away from AG it seems.

Will be interesting to see what it means for the dynamic at the Gate. I agree that when we've gone away in numbers we've drowned out the home support, but MK Dons, Fulham, Charlton (atm) etc are quiet grounds anyway.

Could have the opposite effect and prompt us to sing more at home. I've enjoyed the matches at the Gate recently with larger away support like Villa and Leeds, felt like a proper atmosphere.

Plus it's great when there's thousands of 'em giving it large at the start or when they're winning and then sat silent when they start losing to little ol' Bristol City and their yokel fans!

About what I would go with. Would've had Wright in for Hegeler to test them as a pair. Would've had at least one striker with more than one senior start as a striker but could be fun!! Seems didn't want two inexperienced fullbacks and gets Mags some minutes. Gary in for experience maybe could've had Morrell in there but has a mix of youth and experience I like to see for a match like this. 

Hinds up top; go get 'em, lad.

Surprised but pleased to see Mortell on the bench too.

While it might mean nothing, seeing no Flint or Engvall in the squad does suggest both are perhaps off... or just resting them for the weekend, like we clearly are Pack.

Kind of wish Smith was rested too; very valuable to us.

Just now, Kid in the Riot said:

LJ does crack me up.

Saturday: "I don't want to be known as a tinkerman" "don't want to make too many changes as Plymouth are a really good team" "I've got to be careful as I really rate them".

Tonight: selects reserve team, bar a few exceptions. 

True he does get himself into trouble talking too much. This shows the pathway so I'm happy with it but why say that on Saturday? I can see why he grinds some gears around here but I always think he means well 

Just now, samo II said:

Hinds up top; go get 'em, lad.

Surprised but pleased to see Mortell on the bench too.

While it might mean nothing, seeing no Flint or Engvall in the squad does suggest both are perhaps off... or just resting them for the weekend, like we clearly are Pack.

Kind of wish Smith was rested too; very valuable to us.

Think it speaks volumes that Gus isn't in there and Hinds is. Flint we all got the idea he's leaving. Would be more a shock if he stays. I'd have rested Korey too but a lack of options in there I'd say if you don't want to be too inexperienced. Would think Morrell comes on as will Kelly at some point. 

3 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

LJ does crack me up.

Saturday: "I don't want to be known as a tinkerman" "don't want to make too many changes as Plymouth are a really good team" "I've got to be careful as I really rate them".

Over half the team are first choice players...

7 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

True he does get himself into trouble talking too much. This shows the pathway so I'm happy with it but why say that on Saturday? I can see why he grinds some gears around here but I always think he means well 

I think he just tries to be too clever. Come out and say what every other manager says "I have a strong squad and I will pick a team I think is capable of winning the game". No need for the deception.

4 minutes ago, JamesBCFC said:

Over half the team are first choice players...

6 changes, over half the team changed. Including a debut and another youngster. Definitely not what he indicated would happen on Saturday. 

7 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

LJ does crack me up.

They are all players who would expect to be in and around the first team except Vyner and Hinds. It's hardly a reserve team. 

Just now, Fordy62 said:

I hate to be pedantic, but 5 are. 6 aren't. 

Fielding, Hegeler (based on him starting last week), Baker (missed last week because of suspension), Smith, Brownhill, Reid.

Makes six. 

I'll give you one of the CBs as Wright-Baker is likely to be first choice pairing, but would then say O'Dowda is a player who is regularly brought on as a sub, so deserves the chance to start the odd game to try and win the spot.

Archived