IGNORED

Eliasson Signs!

ChilternRed

From the video clips he certainly looks the sort of player we need to create opportunities. Think he'd need to expand his range of options/techniques as (at least based on the videos) he is tricky but predictable.

Lets see if there is any truth in this, but I like what I've seen. 

Before Norrköping Eliasson played for my Swedish team AIK Solna, He was never given a longer run in the first team. Mostly came on as sub and faded more and more. 

Norrköping is a smaller club where he was given time and he truly flourished.

He is a similar player to Callum O'Dowda though. That's my first questioning mark.

Also he need to play football. IFK Norrköping is a better team than Bristol City and are in the qualification rounds for the Europa League.

He should stay where he is and not move to the Bristol City U23 team and waste his talent.

If he is not considered to go direct in to the first team he should not be signed and with O'Dowda around it's doubtful.

Buying him for very good money and put him on the bench/playing him with the U23:s would be a disaster for him and for the club.

Should there be a deal it could well be Engvall plus cash.

Not sure this is so wise.

We already have two left footed wide players (O'Dowda & Paterson), no natural right winger and need a couple more players already proven at Championship level, rather than adding yet more youngsters with "promise," I think..

Last summer saw us sign 5 or 6 players who were like this (Moore, Brownhill, Engvall, Lucic, the 2 I've already mentioned) and I thought we were supposed to have learned from that?

Tommy has now made my last point, I wonder if Engvall might go home in exchange?

6 minutes ago, bristolcitysweden said:

Before Norrköping Eliasson played for my Swedish team AIK Solna, He was never given a longer run in the first team. Mostly came on as sub and faded more and more. 

He is a similar player to Callum O'Dowda though. That's my first questioning mark.

Also he need to play football. IFK Norrköping is a better team than Bristol City and are in the qualification rounds for the Europa League.

He should stay where he is and not move to the Bristol City U23 team and waste his talent.

If he is not considered to go direct in to the first team he should not be signed and with O'Dowda around it's doubtful.

Buying him for very good money and put him on the bench/playing him with the U23:s would be a disaster for him and for the club.

Noticing your O'Dowda comment, the clip from the Twitter post and how we played last season I don't think having one would definitely prevent the other from playing.

In the Twitter video he cuts inside from the right wing and it is an increasingly common trend in modern football to have wingers that can swap sides, so O'Dowda and Eliasson could do that starting on either wing, with Paterson playing the central role Tomlin had.

Or Eliasson could play where Brownhill was playing on the right of the midfield that all rotated position, but with 2 players tending to act as wingers and 2 tending to be more central, that we used at the end of the season.

5 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

We already have two left footed wide players (O'Dowda & Paterson), no natural right winger and need a couple more players already proven at Championship level, rather than adding yet more youngsters with "promise," I think..

Last summer saw us sign 5 or 6 players who were like this (Moore, Brownhill, Engvall, Lucic, the 2 I've already mentioned) and I thought we were supposed to have learned from that?

Tommy has now made my last point, I wonder if Engvall might go home in exchange?

I can only think we consider him ready for the first team already and, as he's two footed, he could play on the right?

Freeman was played on the right a few times, cutting in onto his left foot and we haven't replaced him yet...

10 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

I'm pretty sure Paterson is right footed, though he seems to be better off the left and he can certainly use his 'off' foot. If this Eliasson comes in, I wonder if it's with a view to having 2 or three players being Diedhiou who can play right across the pitch? Paterson certainly can play that role and Eliasson seems to have done it in Sweden. Can Taylor, Brownhill or O'Dowda play with that that flexibility? Or are we looking at another forward signing on top of this one?

29 minutes ago, bristolcitysweden said:

Wouldn't mind seeing this guy and O'Dowda on the wings with Paterson in behind in a 4-2-3-1 formation. Not sure where that leaves Bobby though...

16 minutes ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

I can only think we consider him ready for the first team already and, as he's two footed, he could play on the right?

Freeman was played on the right a few times, cutting in onto his left foot and we haven't replaced him yet...

Presumably.

I find all that "cutting in off your wrong foot" stuff one of the unfathomable modern coaching trends, why not just play someone who is actually right footed on the right?

With the Italian at right back I don't think we need a Cotterill type as cover up but can play O*Dowda in that position. Paterson seems to be best at left hand side of midfield cutting in. Having both O'Dowda and Eliasson in that position don't make sence to me as we need a central midfielder who can run the park, another forward plus a keeper.  

10 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Presumably.

I find all that "cutting in off your wrong foot" stuff one of the unfathomable modern coaching trends, why not just play someone who is actually right footed on the right?

If Đurić is fit and starting then he is made for a conventional right footer on the right / left footer on the left crosses.  Typically the ball will be curling away from the CB, and able to be attacked.  Much easier to time and adjust a run for that type of cross.  

When a player plays off the wrong side, typically the cross comes from a narrower position, and suits more of a flick than a typical Cheesely type header.

One of the best crossers I've seen in modern times, crossing off of his conventional foot was Jermaine Pennant at Liverpool.  Okay, the rest of his game wasn't up to scratch, but he'd go on the outside and stand up a great ball to the likes of Crouch.

19 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

If Đurić is fit and starting then he is made for a conventional right footer on the right / left footer on the left crosses.  Typically the ball will be curling away from the CB, and able to be attacked.  Much easier to time and adjust a run for that type of cross.  

When a player plays off the wrong side, typically the cross comes from a narrower position, and suits more of a flick than a typical Cheesely type header.

One of the best crossers I've seen in modern times, crossing off of his conventional foot was Jermaine Pennant at Liverpool.  Okay, the rest of his game wasn't up to scratch, but he'd go on the outside and stand up a great ball to the likes of Crouch.

Or, the ability to shoot.

As a left footer I find it easier taking a shot from distance if I am moving from right to left than the opposite. If I was cutting in from the left a shot would have to be a) on my weaker right foot b) with the outside of my left foot, a harder skill to manage or c) I would need an extra touch to change direction slightly to have the ball in a position where a shot with my dominant foot was easier.

Also cutting inside opens up more space for an overlapping run, something we use quite often. 

1 hour ago, GrahamC said:

As someone else has pointed out, Paterson is right footed.

Wingers already proven at Championship level are generally one of three things:

1. On their way to the Premier League.

2. Getting worse and dropping down leagues.

3. Being held onto tightly by their current clubs.

They're also 4. flippin' expensive.

I understand your concern about us signing "unproven talent", but our first two signings have been of a decent age and good pedigree. I'd say that it's slightly less vital for a winger to have experience in the division than a defender or striker.

Also, the players that we did sign who were "proven at Championship level", O'Neil and Cotterill, both faded very quickly and lost their place in the team. Only Wright had the staying power, and to be honest I'm still not quite sure how we signed him.

1 hour ago, bristolcitysweden said:

Thanks for the Informative post mate. I hope they are a better team than us because it makes me even more excited that we are linked with him. One thing I would point out though his club are only 3 points above a team we loaned Engvall to, the player deemed not good enough for English Championship.

Obviously thats me using gas logic there as there are other factors to consider. Hopefully Engvall has his confidence back ready for the season ready to pair up with his fellow swede :fingerscrossed:

11 minutes ago, JamesBCFC said:

As a left footer I find it easier taking a shot from distance if I am moving from right to left than the opposite. If I was cutting in from the left a shot would have to be a) on my weaker right foot b) with the outside of my left foot, a harder skill to manage or c) I would need an extra touch to change direction slightly to have the ball in a position where a shot with my dominant foot was easier.

Also cutting inside opens up more space for an overlapping run, something we use quite often. 

Whats your agents number? Just incase we cock up this signing.

Just now, Luxo Jr. said:

As someone else has pointed out, Paterson is right footed.

Wingers already proven at Championship level are generally one of three things:

1. On their way to the Premier League.

2. Getting worse and dropping down leagues.

3. Being held onto tightly by their current clubs.

They're also 4. flippin' expensive.

I understand your concern about us signing "unproven talent", but our first two signings have been of a decent age and good pedigree. I'd say that it's slightly less vital for a winger to have experience in the division than a defender or striker.

Also, the players that we did sign who were "proven at Championship level", O'Neil and Cotterill, both faded very quickly and lost their place in the team. Only Wright had the staying power, and to be honest I'm still not quite sure how we signed him.

Contract rebel I believe.

Think he only had about 6 months to go and wasn't signing a new deal so Preston cashed in while they could.

At 24 they would have been due compensation had they offered a deal and he chose somewhere else when his contract was up, but they must have thought that amount was less than the 500k (from memory) we offered.

3 hours ago, Luxo Jr. said:

Time for the dreaded YouTube clip with horrible music - but I like what I see here. Likes a stepover, looks like he's got a turn of pace and a killer cross. Would be a no brainer with the likes of Đurić, Dhiediou and even Engvall in the side. Bet he won't be cheap though.

Its a YES from me :fingerscrossed:

11 minutes ago, JamesBCFC said:

Yep, can't argue with any of that.

Why can't pros use both feet.

Archived