IGNORED

Eliasson Signs!

ChilternRed

59 minutes ago, DaveF said:

Maybe some more recent examples would support your point a better? Football is a very different sport to what it was in the 70s!

Giggs. Used predominantly on the left throughout his career, but still pretty good even if coming off the right.

2 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Agree completely. I imagine it's a huge help having someone in the squad of a similar age who speaks Swedish and you might know from football anyway.

If we sign Dicko still, the French/African connection and language in common with Diedhiou will be a factor I'm sure.

Obviously they've got to be good enough players too, but these little 'soft' advantages are really important with young foreign players.

I couldn't agree more, just look at publicised situation with Steven Caulker, moved to a different city, knew no one & was left to his own devices & look at what he's going through now!! And he's English!!

So for a young foreigner to come to a different country, where he knows no one & possibly doesn't even speak the language, how hard must it be to settle in? 

We had the situation with Kodjia where LJ found out he was staying up into the early hours of the morning to speak with friends & family on Facebook because he was in theory 'alone'!!

With the Engvall situation, I'd rather we did whatever we could to try & help him succeed here rather than let him go back to Sweden & become a star that someone else signs & gets the best out of, especially when we haven't really given him a proper opportunity. And if we happen to sign another player who can go on be successful & improve us, it will be like having two new signings & both can help each other settle better.

1 hour ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Totally agree with this Graham and I'm concerned that we are in danger of getting carried away with the development recruitptment with an eye to selling later at a profit or at least the balance with the 'here and nows'

My sole priority for the last 12 months would have been getting the starting 11 with 6/7 benchers right and then recruit the 'promise players'

Having said all that - I like the look of his clips (for the reasons in my post above) and would definitely be considering this lad and do think he'd give us something we lack . 

Some may argue he's similar to O'Dowda which he is in a broad comparison,  but it looks like he's nimbler / 'sharper' than COD , whips in a decent cross and looks a bit of a goal threat -

interested -What was your view ?

)I also think you may be right about Engvall moving the other way)

I think signing a player like this would bring the best out in COD, it happened at United when they signed Ronaldo, suddenly Giggs and others wanted to try all their tricks not to be outdone.

9 hours ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Interesting post Dave

Did you know that a head contact from a inswinging ball will naturally take the resultant header down whilst an outswinger will invite the header to go up (All without head adjustment to intentionally direct it )

(Something I never even thought about before I did my coaching courses)

That's very interesting (didn't know that), but there are advantages from an out swinging cross - i e the position from which the ball is crossed. A good traditional winger (if they still exist) will go past the full back and cross from the goal line which can cause problems for defenders and allows attacking players to run at the ball generating more power on the header. The attacking players can also, if they run from a deep position, arrive unmarked. With players who deliver inswinging crosses the ball is often crossed from a wide position near edge of the penalty area with the defenders in position. Defending that sort of cross is easier than one delivered from the goal line. 

I'm sure what you say is true, but I'm glad nobody told the City team of the 50s and 60s. I can just about remember watching City from the early 60s when John Atyeo kept thundering in headers from out swinging crosses. 

12 hours ago, bristolcitysweden said:

Before Norrköping Eliasson played for my Swedish team AIK Solna, He was never given a longer run in the first team. Mostly came on as sub and faded more and more. 

Norrköping is a smaller club where he was given time and he truly flourished.

He is a similar player to Callum O'Dowda though. That's my first questioning mark.

Also he need to play football. IFK Norrköping is a better team than Bristol City and are in the qualification rounds for the Europa League.

He should stay where he is and not move to the Bristol City U23 team and waste his talent.

If he is not considered to go direct in to the first team he should not be signed and with O'Dowda around it's doubtful.

Buying him for very good money and put him on the bench/playing him with the U23:s would be a disaster for him and for the club.

Should there be a deal it could well be Engvall plus cash.

If IFK Norrköping is a better team then why would he play in our U23 team if singed?

1 hour ago, GrahamC said:

Thanks for this and the other intelligent responses to my post, far better than a lot of massively unfunny "jokes", repetitive stupid comments and the like.

Probably going to argue against myself here but I do think Paterson is more effective on the left, maybe because he is two footed and although it does not have to be Adomah, someone like him at least would be my preference, after all we have just cleared Tomlin's sizeable wages from our costs and picked up a couple of million for him, too.

Said this before (and of course I will give him every chance) but the Italian is 30 and has spent an awful lot of his career in Serie B, so his "pedigree" is at least open to question.

I just think with so many young, inexperienced players in our squad (and 2 added now who have never kicked a ball in England), the balance of it would be better served by bringing in someone who has.

Take your point completely about O'Neil, but think Cotterill was a very useful short term addition (even if only for the goal at Newcastle and assist v Huddersfield..)

I think you do raise valid concerns.

What you could now say, and again I'm aware that this is up for debate, that a fair amount of our squad is now proven at this level. Not all of them, granted, but in my opinion there are players like Magnússon and Brownhill who have proven themselves worthy of being in the side.

The striker position is fairly interesting at the moment for us, and goodness knows I agree about your experience sentiment when it comes to another centre back. For a winger though, I don't think experience in this division is quite as important. 

You also have to stand back from what you're looking at sometimes and think "regardless of experience, does this guy look good enough to make a difference for us?" This guy (and yes, I know, just YouTube highlights) seems to have a great cross in him, a little bit of skill and a turn of pace, as well as a good left footed finish.

I'd like to think scouts for us have seen enough to believe that he could cut it here, and the skills I listed would make him good for any league. Of course I don't know the full details, but I am excited nonetheless. 

In reality, I was playing devil's advocate a little, as I really liked Cotterill's performances for us before, in my opinion, he started to decline. However, Jacob Murphy supposedly signing for Newcastle for up to £12 million is enough evidence for me that looking abroad is a wise move.

1 hour ago, cidered abroad said:

Graham C.

The Dutch national team in 1970's used wingers on opposite side to natural foot.

Sir Tom Finney, played mostly on right wing but stronger on his left.

John Robertson at Forest was a right footed left winger and even Jimmy Mann at City used mostly as wide left midfield.

Lots of examples, so long as the player can cross it on the run with his weaker foot, it gives more options.

Ps. Jantzen Derrick, how could I forget him.

What do you mean ' Even ' Jimmy Mann ? 

He was a top player , playing regularly at the highest level of English football.

4 minutes ago, bristolcitysweden said:

The whole idea of buying young foreign players on the verge of an international break through and put them in the hands of our U23 coaching staff is madness.

I'm fairly confident that won't happen. With Engvall it was different - having Tammy Abraham on loan was obviously a special case, and I think it's very likely Engvall will get his chance this season.

It's already been pointed out that we need a winger, and this guy is in great form. I can't imagine we'd put him in the U23 squad if there's no one stopping him.

1 hour ago, Tipps69 said:

I mentioned your 2nd paragraph but rather helpfully MC RISK77 countered that suggestion with a very in depth analysis of "No"!! 

It was such a good & in depth discussion we had & his knowledge certainly opened my eyes to such a thought process!!

(I hope my sarcasm has come across clearly in this reply?)

My personal view on it is that it wouldn't surprise me if during discussions with Engvall it may of been asked if getting someone in to help him settle better may be of benefit to him & to at least give it another go here rather than just ship him off somewhere else, it certainly makes sense to me anyway, even if it doesn't to MC RISK77.

I would guess that was a similar reason as to why we sign Garita, to try & help Kodjia settle in better.

Haha your sentiment is cute...maybe we should go and buy another Serbian to hold Milan's hand as well.

your guess about garita is probably exactly that.

i am sure Engvall will have not much of a future here given the signing of Diedhou, and the fact he is also behind, Đurić/Taylor and even wilbs in the pecking order, and also if you believe many in that we are also after another forward.

when fit and available last season he was even overlooked then...maybe just maybe when we have gone to watch Swedish games they have noticed this chap and feel he is worth a punt.

for what it's worth GrahamC is spot on with his thoughts.

however I look forward to Engvall progressing now he has a mate possibly joining if your hunch is right.

48 minutes ago, pongo88 said:

That's very interesting (didn't know that), but there are advantages from an out swinging cross - i e the position from which the ball is crossed. A good traditional winger (if they still exist) will go past the full back and cross from the goal line which can cause problems for defenders and allows attacking players to run at the ball generating more power on the header. The attacking players can also, if they run from a deep position, arrive unmarked. With players who deliver inswinging crosses the ball is often crossed from a wide position near edge of the penalty area with the defenders in position. Defending that sort of cross is easier than one delivered from the goal line. 

I'm sure what you say is true, but I'm glad nobody told the City team of the 50s and 60s. I can just about remember watching City from the early 60s when John Atyeo kept thundering in headers from out swinging crosses. 

Agree with every word - good post

Think the inswinging cross has become a more modern thing with the advantage , if delivered right , that if there's no touch it's threatening the goal itself

Pros and Cons , and a place for , both :thumbsup:

The Atyeo / Cheesely / Royle centre forwards who like to attack a Out swinging or hung up cross seem to be less and less these days, although in theory , in Đurić and possibly in Famara we have two

42 minutes ago, MC RISK77 said:

Haha your sentiment is cute...maybe we should go and buy another Serbian to hold Milan's hand as well.

your guess about garita is probably exactly that.

i am sure Engvall will have not much of a future here given the signing of Diedhou, and the fact he is also behind, Đurić/Taylor and even wilbs in the pecking order, and also if you believe many in that we are also after another forward.

when fit and available last season he was even overlooked then...maybe just maybe when we have gone to watch Swedish games they have noticed this chap and feel he is worth a punt.

for what it's worth GrahamC is spot on with his thoughts.

however I look forward to Engvall progressing now he has a mate possibly joining if your hunch is right.

Engvall is still only 20 years old & is seemingly thought of quite highly (still involved with Sweden U21's), it isn't without possibility that LJ has asked him to recommend someone who could play wide midfield & would help him into the deal.

I certainly don't think we've seen anything like the best of Engvall & would hope we may give him a proper opportunity to show what he can do.

I can certainly think of no other reason for why Garita was signed because it certainly doesn't seem to be for his footballing ability!!

As for Đurić, he is married & has a kid, so isn't 'alone' but I'd hazard a guess that Engvall isn't married with kids?

The last thing I'd advocate is for us to treat anyone similarly to how Caulker felt he was treated & for anyone to come away from Bristol City with an unhappy experience.

You can never truly judge a player from Youtube videos but he does look pretty good. Hopefully if we sign him he settles quickly with Gus and they both do well. I just hope this doesn't mean Paterson is getting dropped, he looked much better on the left cutting in on his right than vice-versa. Unless Eliasson is going to be used on the right rotating with O'Dowda but it'll be nice to have wingers that run down the line to get balls in as opposed to cutting inside.

13 hours ago, GrahamC said:

Presumably.

I find all that "cutting in off your wrong foot" stuff one of the unfathomable modern coaching trends, why not just play someone who is actually right footed on the right?

You were a goal-hanging, pass-it-to-me, waiting-for-a-tap-in glory grabbing central forward (if memory serves) in your younger days, so no wonder you are baffled by wide players cutting in to shoot rather than going by 'em (the fullback) to  to cross it for you to slice it in/wide from six yards. Not so untfathomable when you think about it.......

2 minutes ago, Jack Dawe said:

You were a goal-hanging, pass-it-to-me, waiting-for-a-tap-in glory grabbing central forward (if memory serves) in your younger days, so no wonder you are baffled by wide players cutting in to shoot rather than going by 'em (the fullback) to  to cross it for you to slice it in/wide from six yards. Not so untfathomable when you think about it.......

Your memory completely serves you Jack..

As you get older though you try and go all "Jonathan Wilson" and take a wider view.

I'm still haunted by that terrible miss v Leyton Orient on Hackney Marshes in 1990, so it was very kind of you to remind me..

Archived