IGNORED

Eliasson Signs!

ChilternRed

8 minutes ago, Luxo Jr. said:

As someone else has pointed out, Paterson is right footed.

Wingers already proven at Championship level are generally one of three things:

1. On their way to the Premier League.

2. Getting worse and dropping down leagues.

3. Being held onto tightly by their current clubs.

They're also 4. flippin' expensive.

I understand your concern about us signing "unproven talent", but our first two signings have been of a decent age and good pedigree. I'd say that it's slightly less vital for a winger to have experience in the division than a defender or striker.

Also, the players that we did sign who were "proven at Championship level", O'Neil and Cotterill, both faded very quickly and lost their place in the team. Only Wright had the staying power, and to be honest I'm still not quite sure how we signed him.

Excellent finish against Wolves with his right foot. Excellent finish against QPR wit his left.

Probably favours his right but a darn sight more 2 footed than most of his team mates.

52 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Presumably.

I find all that "cutting in off your wrong foot" stuff one of the unfathomable modern coaching trends, why not just play someone who is actually right footed on the right?

I agree graham but that's where the modern full back comes in to provide the width . Just congestes middle of the park though. 

57 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

If Đurić is fit and starting then he is made for a conventional right footer on the right / left footer on the left crosses.  Typically the ball will be curling away from the CB, and able to be attacked.  Much easier to time and adjust a run for that type of cross.  

When a player plays off the wrong side, typically the cross comes from a narrower position, and suits more of a flick than a typical Cheesely type header.

One of the best crossers I've seen in modern times, crossing off of his conventional foot was Jermaine Pennant at Liverpool.  Okay, the rest of his game wasn't up to scratch, but he'd go on the outside and stand up a great ball to the likes of Crouch.

Interesting post Dave

Did you know that a head contact from a inswinging ball will naturally take the resultant header down whilst an outswinger will invite the header to go up (All without head adjustment to intentionally direct it )

(Something I never even thought about before I did my coaching courses)

As a player who can cut in from the opposite wing to his natural side you create room for the lad to have a clear path to goal or shot from distance when say Famara moves wide and draws the centre back out and if say Taylor/Đurić drops deep or moves out to in, again dragging the other centre back out of position, thus creating room for a shot or easy ball to a deep running midfielder, it also brings into play the second ball if the keeper can only parry the ball. Exciting stuff.

The only negative was the defending, so much space was given.

On a positive I really liked his vision.

1 minute ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Interesting post Dave

Did you know that a head contact from a inswinging ball will naturally take the resultant header down whilst an outswinger will invite the header to go up (All without head adjustment to intentionally direct it )

(Something I never even thought about before I did my coaching courses)

Never thought of that, nice.

Guess it depends on whether the person heading it, heads it properly too! :P

For me, nothing better than seeing a headed goal where the striker has "headed it back from where it came from".  You may be right, because although they can be powerful they often have a bit of loop in them.  Just sat here recalling Trevor Morgan's header v Chester (mid-80s I guess).  Was in the Dolman and I sure he somehow curled it in with his bonce - but definitely back from where it came from.

6 minutes ago, Kodjias Wrist said:

Right that settles it then @Davefevs and @Bob Bob Super Bob as coaches and @JamesBCFC as our star signing. 

I'm not eligible, not got any badges....didn't even pass my cycling proficiency. :P

For what it's worth, although I'm sure many of us think we could pick a better team and tactics than LJ, imagine going into the secret world of professional football and trying to be taken seriously.

Just now, ziderheadarmy said:

Nothing to do with technique as such it's just the spin on the ball bit like a draw and fade in golf.

Isn't an away swinger from a right footer from the right side and a left footer curling one in from the same side both like a draw?  Isn't it more to do with the angle your head is coming from?  Help....getting confused :P

10 minutes ago, ziderheadarmy said:

Nothing to do with technique as such it's just the spin on the ball bit like a draw and fade in golf.

Correct

7 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Isn't an away swinger from a right footer from the right side and a left footer curling one in from the same side both like a draw?  Isn't it more to do with the angle your head is coming from?  Help....getting confused :P

The ball will go / up down physics is without any change of head direction / technique Dave (Apparently !)

obviously a flick or Cheesely type thrust will alter that, but the basic theory is it makes the ability to head down and on target 'easier'

i wasn't near your standard as a player and was fine with heading a ball away but pitiful if trying to head down and for goal , but given a inseinging cross and the need only of a deflection , even I had half a chance - lot easier to execute  !!!

:thumbsup:

7 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Never thought of that, nice.

Guess it depends on whether the person heading it, heads it properly too! :P

For me, nothing better than seeing a headed goal where the striker has "headed it back from where it came from".  You may be right, because although they can be powerful they often have a bit of loop in them.  Just sat here recalling Trevor Morgan's header v Chester (mid-80s I guess).  Was in the Dolman and I sure he somehow curled it in with his bonce - but definitely back from where it came from.

Shaun Goater v. Shrewsbury (?) in 97/98 too was a similar goal IIRC 

8 hours ago, Luxo Jr. said:

As someone else has pointed out, Paterson is right footed.

Wingers already proven at Championship level are generally one of three things:

1. On their way to the Premier League.

2. Getting worse and dropping down leagues.

3. Being held onto tightly by their current clubs.

They're also 4. flippin' expensive.

I understand your concern about us signing "unproven talent", but our first two signings have been of a decent age and good pedigree. I'd say that it's slightly less vital for a winger to have experience in the division than a defender or striker.

Also, the players that we did sign who were "proven at Championship level", O'Neil and Cotterill, both faded very quickly and lost their place in the team. Only Wright had the staying power, and to be honest I'm still not quite sure how we signed him.

Thanks for this and the other intelligent responses to my post, far better than a lot of massively unfunny "jokes", repetitive stupid comments and the like.

Probably going to argue against myself here but I do think Paterson is more effective on the left, maybe because he is two footed and although it does not have to be Adomah, someone like him at least would be my preference, after all we have just cleared Tomlin's sizeable wages from our costs and picked up a couple of million for him, too.

Said this before (and of course I will give him every chance) but the Italian is 30 and has spent an awful lot of his career in Serie B, so his "pedigree" is at least open to question.

I just think with so many young, inexperienced players in our squad (and 2 added now who have never kicked a ball in England), the balance of it would be better served by bringing in someone who has.

Take your point completely about O'Neil, but think Cotterill was a very useful short term addition (even if only for the goal at Newcastle and assist v Huddersfield..)

Graham C.

The Dutch national team in 1970's used wingers on opposite side to natural foot.

Sir Tom Finney, played mostly on right wing but stronger on his left.

John Robertson at Forest was a right footed left winger and even Jimmy Mann at City used mostly as wide left midfield.

Lots of examples, so long as the player can cross it on the run with his weaker foot, it gives more options.

Ps. Jantzen Derrick, how could I forget him.

12 hours ago, Luxo Jr. said:

Time for the dreaded YouTube clip with horrible music - but I like what I see here. Likes a stepover, looks like he's got a turn of pace and a killer cross. Would be a no brainer with the likes of Đurić, Dhiediou and even Engvall in the side. Bet he won't be cheap though.

Think we all accept someone could compile a clips of Nicky Hunt and make him look decent but like the look of him but looking at technique etc - impressed

What stood out for me was 

Quick Feet

and

Particularly liked the fact that he appears to not over do it on the ball , not particularly looking to beat a man but shifts the ball , creates a yard , and whips a cross in ( Beckham esque)

Looks like he drifts side to side - his crossing a threat from the left , and a goal threat himself cutting in from the right

All in all nippy with decent technique - if he's stood up over 90 mins when we've watched him I'd be in for him :thumbsup:

12 hours ago, Luxo Jr. said:

Time for the dreaded YouTube clip with horrible music - but I like what I see here. Likes a stepover, looks like he's got a turn of pace and a killer cross. Would be a no brainer with the likes of Đurić, Dhiediou and even Engvall in the side. Bet he won't be cheap though.

Image result for shut up and take my money

5 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

Graham C.

The Dutch national team in 1970's used wingers on opposite side to natural foot.

Sir Tom Finney, played mostly on right wing but stronger on his left.

John Robertson at Forest was a right footed left winger and even Jimmy Mann at City used mostly as wide left midfield.

Lots of examples, so long as the player can cross it on the run with his weaker foot, it gives more options.

Ps. Jantzen Derrick, how could I forget him.

Maybe some more recent examples would support your point a better? Football is a very different sport to what it was in the 70s!

10 hours ago, GrahamC said:

Not sure this is so wise.

We already have two left footed wide players (O'Dowda & Paterson), no natural right winger and need a couple more players already proven at Championship level, rather than adding yet more youngsters with "promise," I think..

Last summer saw us sign 5 or 6 players who were like this (Moore, Brownhill, Engvall, Lucic, the 2 I've already mentioned) and I thought we were supposed to have learned from that?

Tommy has now made my last point, I wonder if Engvall might go home in exchange?

Totally agree with this Graham and I'm concerned that we are in danger of getting carried away with the development recruitptment with an eye to selling later at a profit or at least the balance with the 'here and nows'

My sole priority for the last 12 months would have been getting the starting 11 with 6/7 benchers right and then recruit the 'promise players'

Having said all that - I like the look of his clips (for the reasons in my post above) and would definitely be considering this lad and do think he'd give us something we lack . 

Some may argue he's similar to O'Dowda which he is in a broad comparison,  but it looks like he's nimbler / 'sharper' than COD , whips in a decent cross and looks a bit of a goal threat -

interested -What was your view ?

)I also think you may be right about Engvall moving the other way)

43 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Thanks for this and the other intelligent responses to my post, far better than a lot of massively unfunny "jokes", repetitive stupid comments and the like.

Probably going to argue against myself here but I do think Paterson is more effective on the left, maybe because he is two footed and although it does not have to be Adomah, someone like him at least would be my preference, after all we have just cleared Tomlin's sizeable wages from our costs and picked up a couple of million for him, too.

Said this before (and of course I will give him every chance) but the Italian is 30 and has spent an awful lot of his career in Serie B, so his "pedigree" is at least open to question.

I just think with so many young, inexperienced players in our squad (and 2 added now who have never kicked a ball in England), the balance of it would be better served by bringing in someone who has.

Take your point completely about O'Neil, but think Cotterill was a very useful short term addition (even if only for the goal at Newcastle and assist v Huddersfield..)

i disagree, think think pato is more effective in the middle behind the strikers and given free roam 

1 hour ago, Phileas Fogg said:

He's also got Brazilian blood apparently. The mandatory stalk of his Instagram page shows he already knows/knows of Engvall - follows him on there.

I wonder if we're considering players from Sweden to help Engvall settle in as a dual benefit.

I mentioned your 2nd paragraph but rather helpfully MC RISK77 countered that suggestion with a very in depth analysis of "No"!! 

It was such a good & in depth discussion we had & his knowledge certainly opened my eyes to such a thought process!!

(I hope my sarcasm has come across clearly in this reply?)

My personal view on it is that it wouldn't surprise me if during discussions with Engvall it may of been asked if getting someone in to help him settle better may be of benefit to him & to at least give it another go here rather than just ship him off somewhere else, it certainly makes sense to me anyway, even if it doesn't to MC RISK77.

I would guess that was a similar reason as to why we sign Garita, to try & help Kodjia settle in better.

4 minutes ago, Tipps69 said:

I mentioned your 2nd paragraph but rather helpfully MC RISK77 countered that suggestion with a very in depth analysis of "No"!! 

It was such a good & in depth discussion we had & his knowledge certainly opened my eyes to such a thought process!!

(I hope my sarcasm has come across clearly in this reply?)

My personal view on it is that it wouldn't surprise me if during discussions with Engvall it may of been asked if getting someone in to help him settle better may be of benefit to him & to at least give it another go here rather than just ship him off somewhere else, it certainly makes sense to me anyway, even if it doesn't to MC RISK77.

I would guess that was a similar reason as to why we sign Garita, to try & help Kodjia settle in better.

Agree completely. I imagine it's a huge help having someone in the squad of a similar age who speaks Swedish and you might know from football anyway.

If we sign Dicko still, the French/African connection and language in common with Diedhiou will be a factor I'm sure.

Obviously they've got to be good enough players too, but these little 'soft' advantages are really important with young foreign players.

Archived