IGNORED

League Cup - City v Stoke (Merged)

REDOXO

9 minutes ago, Dreamkiller said:

It'll always be the Autoglass to me. :yawn:

And just for the record, not only did we take the free-kick too quickly, it was a dive that won us the free-kick in the first place - it was in line with where I was sitting. He was a bit cheeky like that was our Bjarni.

Hope that helps. :clapping:

Tempted to ban you just for your cheek! :P 

11 hours ago, Roe said:

First time playing Stoke since we went toe to toe with them for promotion 10 years ago!  Quite a different path the clubs have taken since.  It'll be an interesting tie, in that respect.

Yes, it's amazing how both clubs have fared so differently after that season and ones in the early 2000s when we were both in League 1.  Credit to them for becoming an established Premier League team, although I bloody hated them after they beat us at Wembley.

An abiding memory of Stoke was up there, Gavin Ward receiving a load of shit from us and straying further from his line than he might have done before being lobbed by Tinnion for 1-1.  

I personally think it's a pretty good draw, they have some good players and I hope we give them a good game.

1 hour ago, Dreamkiller said:

Stoke fan here. Yeah, we did a lot of trudging under Pulis. He was booted out and became a media darling while the team he left behind have never managed to shake off the big boot, thugs label.

Just popped over to this board after following the link on the Oatcake. Liking the humour already.

Welcome DK. Thoughts on Pulis? He's hated on here. Seen as a money grabbing asshole to put it mildly. How do the Stokies remember him?

5 minutes ago, Dollymarie said:

Tempted to ban you just for your cheek! :P 

:redcard:.         :dunno:

Just out of interest, how long do my posts 'need to be approved by a moderator for'? Is it a newbie regulator thing? Or do you check every single post permanently cos your nosey? 

Love the emoticons by the way. :blush:

6 minutes ago, Dreamkiller said:

:redcard:.         :dunno:

Just out of interest, how long do my posts 'need to be approved by a moderator for'? Is it a newbie regulator thing? Or do you check every single post permanently cos your nosey? 

Love the emoticons by the way. :blush:

No, it's cos you're a newbie. I think it's your first 10 posts to check you're

a)not here to spam the place and b)have only signed up to antagonise.

It's not cos you're a rival supporter by the way, happens to everyone :) 

16 minutes ago, Septic Peg said:

Welcome DK. Thoughts on Pulis? He's hated on here. Seen as a money grabbing asshole to put it mildly. How do the Stokies remember him?

Cheers Septic. 

Thoughts on Pulis? I could write a book. He achieved so much for us, but in the most joyless way possible. Football's not supposed to be like that, but then he got us to the promised land, kept us there, got us to the FA Cup Final for the first time in our miserable existence and into Europe for the first time in almost 40 years.

They should build a statue for him at Stoke but I hated what I was watching. There's not much middle ground with him is there? He's real Marmite. Some Stokie's worship him. Other's detest what he stood for. I was close to jacking it in having to watch us play like that every week, and I've been a Stoke supporter for 43 years.

Mark Hughes isn't a particularly popular character in football generally but I've loved his time at Stoke. Breath of fresh air to watch proper football after the dirge of watching Pulisball for 10 years!

9 minutes ago, Dollymarie said:

No, it's cos you're a newbie. I think it's your first 10 posts to check you're

a)not here to spam the place and b)have only signed up to antagonise.

It's not cos you're a rival supporter by the way, happens to everyone :) 

Ah thanks Dollymarie. I'll behave for my first 10 posts then. :drunk2:

Seriously though, you'll have no problem with me. Just on here for a bit of banter and laughs. Been on a West Brom site for a year and a half now and get on great with them, and believe me, they dislike Stokies a lot more than you guys ever will

3 minutes ago, cheshire_red said:

When Tiny Penis was appointed at Stoke The Bristol Royal Infirmary sent up a lorry to North Staffs Royal full of Neck Braces.

I remember when he was appointed as Stoke boss, there was a Bristol City fan who posted the most scathing criticism imaginable about him on the Oatcake.

To this day it's never quite been matched. 

13 minutes ago, cheshire_red said:

When Tiny Penis was appointed at Stoke The Bristol Royal Infirmary sent up a lorry to North Staffs Royal full of Neck Braces.

12 minutes ago, cheshire_red said:

Couldn't help them with the Lock Jaw problem from all the yawning

6 minutes ago, cheshire_red said:

Remember a game at The Britannia when Tiny P was with us, the only excitement all game was a few of our own fans fighting between themselves. Got the best cheer of the day all round the ground when a few were removed.

You could have fit that all in one post. Somebody is at work trying to be discreet eh ;)

4 minutes ago, cheshire_red said:

Remember a game at The Britannia when Tiny P was with us, the only excitement all game was a few of our own fans fighting between themselves. Got the best cheer of the day all round the ground when a few were removed.

There was one season in the second tier when we went on a run of 21 consecutive games where the score was 1-0, 0-1 or 0-0. It's legendarily known as the binary season. At the end of it many Stokies swore they wouldn't return until Pulis had gone. The football (if you can call it that) was mind-numbing.

25 minutes ago, Dreamkiller said:

I remember when he was appointed as Stoke boss, there was a Bristol City fan who posted the most scathing criticism imaginable about him on the Oatcake.

To this day it's never quite been matched. 

We are on the up, you better believe it :P.  We've gone from Preston fans and Barnsley fans on here, to getting Stoke fans.  Who next?  Our 4th round opponent's fans? :whistle:

Welcome DK.  Played at Newcastle Town a few times in the past....just down the road.

21 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

We are on the up, you better believe it :P.  We've gone from Preston fans and Barnsley fans on here, to getting Stoke fans.  Who next?  Our 4th round opponent's fans? :whistle:

Welcome DK.  Played at Newcastle Town a few times in the past....just down the road.

Feel free to treat me as Premier League royalty, or some sort of superior being! :trumpet:

Only joshing!

Been to see Stoke play against Newcastle Town a few times. For many years there was a pre-season friendly between the clubs. It was the traditional curtain raiser to the new season, but this stopped four or five years ago. 

On 24/08/2017 at 04:45, chowie said:

Gas away to Wolves

http://gaschat.co.uk/thread/10564/away-wolves "Unbelievable Geoff"

Should get great following - Winnable tie  - Happy with this. Winnable and easy to get to. - For sure Wolves will play a weaker side with the league being their top priority this season and that is what will give us a chance. Should be taking a decent following too. - Well they seen to think they have already won and we will take loads because it is like our cup final, have to say I don't feel the same. Yes we will take loads but not because it's Wolves but because that's what we do. It's definitely winnable though. - 

It never takes long to get onto a bit of Pulis bashing! I didn't mind what he did for us for the first few years in the prem. when we had Pennant & Etherington on the wings in 2010-11 we were a lot better to watch than people gave us credit for but after that it declined into uuspeakably dull, monotonous garbage and I was delighted when he left us. Just wish we could get one over on one of his teams once in a while. Another 90 minutes of my life I'll never get back watching that game today...

9 hours ago, DownendStokie said:

It never takes long to get onto a bit of Pulis bashing! I didn't mind what he did for us for the first few years in the prem. when we had Pennant & Etherington on the wings in 2010-11 we were a lot better to watch than people gave us credit for but after that it declined into uuspeakably dull, monotonous garbage and I was delighted when he left us. Just wish we could get one over on one of his teams once in a while. Another 90 minutes of my life I'll never get back watching that game today...

I agree that in those early years Stoke were exciting to watch as they bombarded teams. Not pretty but there is more than one way to play and it suited the squad.

His West Brom side is excruciatingly dull though.

Stoke fans generally seem to take a dislike to anyone perceived to be a media darling and who gets an easy ride as a result. Eddie Howe seems to be heralded in some quarters as the new fresh-faced messiah of English football yet when his team won 1-0 at our place last season what we saw was one of the most disgraceful displays of timewasting, gamesmanship and downright cheating many of us have ever seen at a football match. None of it ever gets reported in the media though.

oh and Harry Arter is a dirty ****!

• Admin
25 minutes ago, DownendStokie said:

Stoke fans generally seem to take a dislike to anyone perceived to be a media darling and who gets an easy ride as a result. Eddie Howe seems to be heralded in some quarters as the new fresh-faced messiah of English football yet when his team won 1-0 at our place last season what we saw was one of the most disgraceful displays of timewasting, gamesmanship and downright cheating many of us have ever seen at a football match. None of it ever gets reported in the media though.

oh and Harry Arter is a dirty ****!

We weren't in the Championship when they won it but I noticed all the other teams' fans had them pegged as divers and they got a particularly high number of penalties that year I believe. 

10 hours ago, DownendStokie said:

Stoke fans generally seem to take a dislike to anyone perceived to be a media darling and who gets an easy ride as a result. Neil Warnock seems to be heralded in some quarters as the messiah of English football yet when his team, Rotherham, drew at our place the season before last, what we saw was one of the most disgraceful displays of timewasting, gamesmanship and downright cheating many of us have ever seen at a football match. None of it ever gets reported in the media though.

We have experienced something similar.

Archived