IGNORED

The Official Match Day Thread 6 - Reading v Bristol City

19 minutes ago, Esmond Million's Bung said:

Well on today's showing he is a long way from being championship ready, we got away with such a poor performance today, but we can't keep relying on luck, it's a pity because he is obviously a talent.

Not sure you could call it a poor performance having watched the game 

both teams had spells of possession and chances and we took one of ours and they didn't 

we pressed well as a team and tactically the lads managed the game well not to mention that we won and got 3 points

suppose there is no pleasing some people?

"Here's where I jinx it but, looking at the Bristol City squad - there's not really anyone that looks of any real quality. I know they relied heavily on Tammy Abraham last season and now they have Jamie Paterson who looked promising at Forest but seems to have fallen away...the rest seem like mediocre level players who would struggle to get anywhere near our first XI."

Ooops!!! Jynx it he most certainly did!

http://hobnob.royals.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=138272&start=20

Edited by Wanderingred
3 minutes ago, INCRED said:

both teams had spells of possession and chances and we took one of ours and they didn't 

we pressed well as a team and tactically the lads managed the game well not to mention that we won and got 3 points

and Pato should've buried his chance. Can't complain we took the points, the home side is entitled to the better of it. Cracking win.

Positives:

• Frankie kept a clean sheet
  • Bakes and Flinty worked well
  • Flinty scored 
  • Vyner had a run out even if he didn't play well
  • Korey had a stormer

From this, I surmise that both Flint and Korey will start v Wolves. Probably Eliasson and Leko too. If Korey has a shocker in the 1st half, swap for Pack. Brownhill to stay CM. Pisano should start as was only precautionary keeping him off today and if Joe can't play, Maggs can play LB with Kelly on the bench.

Famara to play 45mins and then swap with Matty at HT. Reid up front also.

• Like 1
16 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

Not sure what the problem is. He's told a player who hasn't been involved that it's someone else's to lose - and so it should be when the other player has been looking for a move away.

Flint has done what he can do to change the managers plans. 

As usual looking to find something to moan about when thing are are going well. 

No 'problem', just giving my view on what LJ said.

You'd do well to leave out unnecessary and irritating personal comments like that one at the end B86, hardly going to encourage other posters to converse with you.

12 minutes ago, INCRED said:

I assume he was talking about Vyners performance?

33 minutes ago, Esmond Million's Bung said:

Well on today's showing he is a long way from being championship ready, we got away with such a poor performance today, but we can't keep relying on luck, it's a pity because he is obviously a talent.

You have to give youngsters time. Do you think Gerry Gow was given "legend" status in his early days. My goodness, he was raw but we could see the talent. If any Academy player can get 6-10 starts in a season early on in their career, it pays dividends later when they become established.

Look at it this way, everyone on here knows my views on LJ, but would you prefer that he played a thirty year old reserve, if we had such a thing, or helped another youngster on the pathway to maturity? The answer is a no brainer.

And ask all his team mates how Zak did today and they'll be singing his praises because they went through the sort of game he had at the start of their careers. Take the positives from it and work on the things not done so well. 

• Like 9
17 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

No 'problem', just giving my view on what LJ said.

You'd do well to leave out unnecessary and irritating personal comments like that one at the end B86, hardly going to encourage other posters to converse with you.

Just got a fantastic result and your first reaction is to look for a problem where there isn't one. 

It absolutely should be Bailey's position to lose after Flint's representatives made it clear that they wanted to look for an opportunity elsewhere. Flint has done all he can to put himself in contention and he himself would be the first to admit that it's up to him to work himself back into contention. 

• Like 6
9 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

It absolutely should be Bailey's position to lose after Flint's representatives made it clear that they wanted to look for an opportunity elsewhere. Flint has done all he can to put himself in contention and he himself would be the first to admit that it's up to him to work himself back into contention. 

Indeed, which is exactly what has said himself.

• Like 1
51 minutes ago, Wanderingred said:

"Here's where I jinx it but, looking at the Bristol City squad - there's not really anyone that looks of any real quality. I know they relied heavily on Tammy Abraham last season and now they have Jamie Paterson who looked promising at Forest but seems to have fallen away...the rest seem like mediocre level players who would struggle to get anywhere near our first XI."

Ooops!!! Jynx it he most certainly did!

http://hobnob.royals.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=138272&start=20

A team of cohesive energetic players with ability usually come out on top against a group of talented individuals

I've not read most of this as on the way back but I'll give some of my thoughts anyway. Thought we were good today. First half quite boring and wasteful from us. What really impressed me is a very young attack and midfield grow in confidence against a top championship side. Lucky to win but even some passing reading fans were impressed with our passing and movement second half. 

Another thing that made me smile was watching 2.5m worth of wingers in Callum O'Dowda and Jamie Paterson matchup with 12m of wingers in Barrow and Aluko. Aluko much like Paterson. Works hard finding pockets of space and making things happen cutting inside. While Barrow  showing similarities with COD by taking players on and using pace to get into good areas. You know what else? He doesn't have much end product either. I'm quite happy with the pair of them and can't wait to see what Eliasson brings. Anyway, think they had decent enough games between them. 

The back 4 was strong especially Flint through his left side. Vyner ok but he doesn't have much experience and wasn't embarrassed or anything. It'll be vital for his growth. Joe Bryan looks every bit a top LB. Good to see Flint in there. So much more dangerous on set pieces with him out there. 

Korey and Brownhill strong pairing. Prefer it to Pack and Smith. Think Brownhill needs to be the partner to either. Maybe depends on matchup. Good choice today. 

Fam has his own thread. Doesn't need much more attention. Hope he gets acclimated soon. Thought Bobby was outstanding second half in particular. He not only links the play well but our best threat in behind. Makes so many clever runs and many don't get found. Just harasses CBs and keepers on the ball. Never stops running. Quickly becoming one of my favourites. Always rated him but the position change has highlighted his best attributes. 

Leko looks a bundle of energy when he gets on the ball. Maybe to the point of overconfidence. Gave one away around out box but didn't cost us. Not afraid to take players on(successfully I might add) and quite strong on the ball. Came on as a striker but looks a winger to me. Not had any time with us so solid enough debut. 

LJ got tactics spot on imo. Reading never really threatened outside of counter attacks and that was remedied after HT. Think we are seeing a good manager blossom in front of us and a young team doing the same. I don't know where we'll sit in the table come end of the season but I'd be surprised if it was anywhere outside of 12th. So solid defensively and growing confindence in our ability on the ball. 

• Like 12