IGNORED

The Official Match Day Thread 6 - Reading v Bristol City

3 hours ago, INCRED said:

Not sure you could call it a poor performance having watched the game 

both teams had spells of possession and chances and we took one of ours and they didn't 

we pressed well as a team and tactically the lads managed the game well not to mention that we won and got 3 points

suppose there is no pleasing some people?

Not sure what you are banging on about mate, my post if you had bothered to actually read what it was in reply to you have seen it was specifically about Vyner's performance and nothing else, certainly not about our general performance.

Suppose there is no pleasing some people who don't fully read posts and their context?.

2 hours ago, cidered abroad said:

You have to give youngsters time. Do you think Gerry Gow was given "legend" status in his early days. My goodness, he was raw but we could see the talent. If any Academy player can get 6-10 starts in a season early on in their career, it pays dividends later when they become established.

Look at it this way, everyone on here knows my views on LJ, but would you prefer that he played a thirty year old reserve, if we had such a thing, or helped another youngster on the pathway to maturity? The answer is a no brainer.

And ask all his team mates how Zak did today and they'll be singing his praises because they went through the sort of game he had at the start of their careers. Take the positives from it and work on the things not done so well. 

The thing is I can accept a young players making the odd mistake, but today he looked totally out of his depth, that is the difference.

25 minutes ago, Esmond Million's Bung said:

Not sure what you are banging on about mate, my post if you had bothered to actually read what it was in reply to you have seen it was specifically about Vyner's performance and nothing else, certainly not about our general performance.

Suppose there is no pleasing some people who don't fully read posts and their context?.

Perhaps you need to add the quote you are referring to then mate!!!

https://www.readingfc.co.uk/news/2017/september/Stam-frustrated-by-our-failure-to-finish-chances/

Reading manager Jaap Stam is thankfully unaccustomed to reflecting on Madejski Stadium defeats - but Bristol City's late winner inflicted our first home loss since January!

"Very frustrating," he began. "We were facing an opposition who wanted to make it difficult for us, by going forward, being aggressive and pressing high up the pitch to prevent us from playing and they didn't let us get into our comfort zone so at times we had difficulties in getting control of the game.

"But overall, in the amount of oportunities we created to score, I think we should have won this game - which we didn't! And that's what makes it frustrating. 

"We had plenty of opportunities. But it's all about scoring. It's a cliche, but so many times you see games where a team has lots of chances but doesn't finish them off and then the opposition eventually scores and that's it. 

"In having possesison, creating good opportunities, we played well. But you need to score...and we didn't."

Perhaps the game could have swung on a decision to only show a yellow card to Nathan Baker after he scythed down Mo Barrow as he burst clean through on goal before half-time. "From my point of view it was a red card," Stam said.

"He was through. And if he wasn't being fouled, he could have gone in one on one with the goalkeeper and he could have scored.

"I don't know how it looked from the stands, but it looked like a red card to me. But it's not up to me, and the referee has to make a decision quickly so it's not easy for him as well. But you've seen the pace Mo has, no-one would have tracked him."

And as Frank Fielding made a few sharp stops and the Royals missed a flurry of second half chances, the longer the game remained goalless, the longer the result remained in doubt.

"It is very hard not to give anything away against opposition with quality. They had one big chance in the first half and one good opportunity second half and then they were a threat from set pieces and that final chance, a ball falls in between from a set piece and they score from it - so maybe three chances in total!

"So it feels harsh that we lost, and it's not nice - especially at home. We created the chances, but we need to work on tapping them in. Because it's about scoring goals and we didn't do that.

"We could have played a bit better, but with what we did it should have been enough to win the match. However, if you don't finish your chances you don't get the three points. And everyone in the dressing room is disappointed."

11 hours ago, BRISTOL86 said:

Just got a fantastic result and your first reaction is to look for a problem where there isn't one. 

It absolutely should be Bailey's position to lose after Flint's representatives made it clear that they wanted to look for an opportunity elsewhere. Flint has done all he can to put himself in contention and he himself would be the first to admit that it's up to him to work himself back into contention. 

Flint was told he had to move. Stop talking such crap. 

2 hours ago, Psychopomp said:

Flint was told he had to move. Stop talking such crap. 

Flint was told he would be sold if the right offer came in, after his representatives made it clear they would be looking around to see if they could get a better deal somewhere else. 

I have nothing against Aden Flint and don't begrudge that. But it's not 'crap' as you so eloquently put it, it's fact. 

• Like 2
9 hours ago, Esmond Million's Bung said:

What a strange post, but here goes, because the other 3 defenders and the goalkeeper were on the top of their game + what @RumRed said.

No, that's not possible.  No defence can carry a passenger.  The fact is, for reasons only known to yourself, you've got it in for the lad.  He's a young man finding his way in the world of pro football who came in at the last minute to replace an experienced player.  Nobody here is suggesting he's the finished article or he should keep his place when Pisano is fit.  However, he played his part in Winning at a ground where we historically do poorly.  If you're not impressed by his performance that's your problem not Zak Vyner's.

My guess is he got high fives from his team mates and the management team in the dressing room, who would have been delighted by his performance.

• Like 3
14 hours ago, cidered abroad said:

You have to give youngsters time. Do you think Gerry Gow was given "legend" status in his early days. My goodness, he was raw but we could see the talent. If any Academy player can get 6-10 starts in a season early on in their career, it pays dividends later when they become established.

Look at it this way, everyone on here knows my views on LJ, but would you prefer that he played a thirty year old reserve, if we had such a thing, or helped another youngster on the pathway to maturity? The answer is a no brainer.

And ask all his team mates how Zak did today and they'll be singing his praises because they went through the sort of game he had at the start of their careers. Take the positives from it and work on the things not done so well. 

He was up against quality today that I doubt he's experienced before.

He let his player in twice ( even a game hardened pro would not necessarily done better ) 

He kept his head up , kept going and was rewarded with an away win bonus and part of a defence that kept a clean sheet .

Well done Zak .

Well done LJ for playing him .

• Like 6
16 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

He let his player in twice ( even a game hardened pro would not necessarily done better ) 

He kept his head up , kept going and was rewarded with an away win bonus and part of a defence that kept a clean sheet .

Well done Zak .

Interesting that LJ said he considered playing Smith at right back but went with Zak. If he had gone with Smith he would have been criticised for not backing our young players.

No point talking about a pathway to the first team then blocking it.

• Like 4
22 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

Well done Zak .

Indeed it was. LJ could have played Smith at RB but had faith in Vyner to step up. More first team experience for Zak. I'll bet he's the envy of the younger players....

18 minutes ago, chinapig said:

Interesting that LJ said he considered playing Smith at right back but went with Zak. If he had gone with Smith he would have been criticised for not backing our young players.

No point talking about a pathway to the first team then blocking it.

I think it even went further than being criticised for it; he felt it would go against the ethos of the club and he has almost a moral obligation to give youngsters opportunities. 

Poor Zak has been thrown in at the deep end a few times and only really 'sank' once vs a strong Brighton side.

I was concerned when I saw him starting but very glad we won AND kept a clean sheet. Well done to Zak and the defence.

The 'pathway' is clearly far more than just platitudes, and it's great to see us committing to it. Far cry from Cotterill not even filling the bench with a youth player when he could.

Edited by Phileas Fogg
  • Like 7

LJ likes the fullbacks to push on, and Vyner tried his best to get into forward positions and support ODowda switching positions quite well. I do think it was a big ask of a very inexperienced FB, and he did get caught out a few times. I think they had balls squared maybe 3 times and they miss kicked in front of goal, another day???
You could see he was playing to orders , I would guess if given the choice, he could have sat back and concentrated on defending and given their wide man a lot less space. We normally have Pisano bombing forward, very experienced and worldly wise , Vyner came in and we played the same way not surprisingly got exposed a few times. I think he will be better for the experience , we also coped well even if the CB's got pulled across to cover on occasions.

One question which may have been asked elsewhere. WTF is going on with pushing Flint up wide halfway just to play for flick ons??? Horrible tactic , at least when we did it with JB it wasn't pulling your main central defensive partnership apart.

• Like 1