IGNORED

Flint & Baker the best combo

RT's Vaseline Tub

6 minutes ago, Rossi the Robin said:

It's more of a squad game nowadays 

Nothing wrong with a club captain being on the bench anyway

Well, there is.. and especially when it is a centre half because as you know, they don't generally get to come on from the bench like say midfielders or even strikers. Great win, great attitutde and fair play for scoring the winner, but I hope people don't use it more to get at Wright (i know you arent btw) but others maybe.

Wright has been very good along side Baker TOO

24 minutes ago, AppyDAZE said:

Well, there is.. and especially when it is a centre half because as you know, they don't generally get to come on from the bench like say midfielders or even strikers. Great win, great attitutde and fair play for scoring the winner, but I hope people don't use it more to get at Wright (i know you arent btw) but others maybe.

Oh there are certainly people doing that

17 minutes ago, hodge said:

Judging by the highlights we were lucky Reading didn't bury 2 or 3 and it was their finishing that let them down, they appeared to be in great positions quite a few times. 

And how many times have we been in that position where we've missed 2 or 3 sitters and still lost? About time it happened to another team.

Readings finishing was poor today. Great result but could easily have been 3-1 or 2-2.

Not saying BW would have changed that but they did create some clear chances most of which were down our right - Vyner might have learned some valuable lessons today.

We seem to be making issues out of having competition for places

Stick with 4 at the back and let players fight for places in a system that seems to be working - every decent team will have a couple of good chances at home like Reading did today - some go in some don't 

We can't start trying to fit everyone in by changing the formation 

Its a selection headache for LJ but at least it's a nice one 

I like Bailey Wright, but would like to remind those who say about being club captain having to play. 

Wilbraham was club captain for the past two seasons and was far from being in the first 11. Sometimes not even in the match squad so I doubt LJ thinks he's club captain so he plays. 

Me personally I like the fact we've 3 good centre backs plus Maggers so we've got options where's before we looked light in that department. 

6 minutes ago, RedorDead BCFC said:

I like Bailey Wright, but would like to remind those who say about being club captain having to play. 

Wilbraham was club captain for the past two seasons and was far from being in the first 11. Sometimes not even in the match squad so I doubt LJ thinks he's club captain so he plays. 

Me personally I like the fact we've 3 good centre backs plus Maggers so we've got options where's before we looked light in that department. 

Spot on mate

And Hegeler if we need his type tactically against certain teams - we should be happy with this, we just need good man management- so much easier when things are going well 

2 hours ago, Derek from Nailsea said:

Surely Flinty & Bakes are the best centre half pairing as they have done it before together.

It's just a pity the short sighted appointment of Bailey Wright as skipper has put a spanner in the works as hard to drop the Club Captain even if I see him as the most error prone. 

Wright is the better footballer than both Baker and Flint. They're very similar, both head it and kick it stoppers. Both lack mobility which is why Wright was brought in.

Wright is also highly respected by his team mates and is a natural leader of men - that's why he's club captain.

3 hours ago, AppyDAZE said:

Maybe one of the reasons for Wright being made club captain was that he wouldn't bitch and moan about being left on the bench despite being captain.

Seems like a guy who sees the bigger picture and leads by example.

2 hours ago, Robbored said:

Wright is the better footballer than both Baker and Flint. They're very similar, both head it and kick it stoppers. Both lack mobility which is why Wright was brought in.

Wright is also highly respected by his team mates and is a natural leader of men - that's why he's club captain.

What are you on? Seriously. Wright is barely quicker than Flint and no better on the ball. Baker is demonstrably more mobile than either. Buy some spectacles. Seriously.

14 minutes ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

What are you on? Seriously. Wright is barely quicker than Flint and no better on the ball. Baker is demonstrably more mobile than either. Buy some spectacles. Seriously.

I must agree.

I like all 3 yet neither of them are great footballers. That's not a dig. They're all good steady centre halves. Wright is solid, a bully, wins it well, gives it easy. Flint, good in the air, positionally a tad suspect, yet great in the opposition box. Baker, deceptively quick, reads it well and strong, yet prone to a ricket and a unnecessary yellow.

Good competition. Steady competition. All good enough for us if not a bit more. 

Pisano will make a difference and assist these guys. 

I dot think you can say any are footballers (which is fine by me). 

8 hours ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

MM - we'll have to agree to disagree on this subjective debate but I'm pretty sure LJ would disagree with you.

My guess is that Wright will be back in defence at Molinuex on Tuesday probably in place of Flint.

10 hours ago, FlintWonderwall said:

Sorry but we were battling relegation with this same pairing?? Wright and Baker everyday for me

Both have improved since then. Flint's first season at this level and Baker was 24 or so and a bit rash.

I don't want us to have a 'first choice pairing'. I want it to be whoever has earned it should play. I appreciate the need to rotate players in a congested period of fixtures but we should take advantage of the quality we have in that position and make it tough competition to start.

LJ did say we could use 3 at the back with our personnel, would be interesting to see how that would work.

We've spent many of the recent seasons saying our players are tired at the end of a 46+ game season. Let's keep Bailey, Baker and Wright happy with regular games but the understanding that it's a squad game.

I'm not a huge fan of rotation but if we are to progress and join the "bigger" teams, we need more than a first eleven.

6 minutes ago, Xiled said:

We've spent many of the recent seasons saying our players are tired at the end of a 46+ game season. Let's keep Bailey, Baker and Wright happy with regular games but the understanding that it's a squad game.

I'm not a huge fan of rotation but if we are to progress and join the "bigger" teams, we need more than a first eleven.

Shome mistake, surely

Play Nathan Flint along side Bailey Baker... problem solved

I agree it's a tough call. It's worth remembering that whilst it was a good win yesterday, it was by no means a perfect defensive display. I counted at least four well-worked, clear shooting chances for Reading when we were opened up. On another day we could have been beaten pretty decisively.

In the euphoria of an unexpected win against quality opposition it's easy to get carried away, especially when one of the subjects of the debate scored the winner. There is a difference between the player's individual performance, observed in isolation - how many headers and tackles he's won and so on - and how well he's functioned as part of an integrated whole that collectively denies the other team scoring opportunities. Flint excels at the former and I have great respect for his qualities, but as has been pointed out many times, his stand-out personal efforts can sometimes distract one from the fact that he has at times been a core element in a defence that has conceded far too many goals.

Good defending is all about organisation, discipline and concentration. The challenge is to identify which players operate best together as part of a system. The issue with Flint during the window and his consequent omission from the side provided an opportunity that might not otherwise have arisen to see how other pairings might work and the results have been quite revealing, leading to the possible conclusion that, paradoxically, your  strongest defence might not actually contain your best centre half. Ultimately, the acid test is which combination of individuals results in the fewest goals being conceded, whilst still allowing you to play in your preferred formation? 

Who'd be a manager?

Archived