IGNORED

Flint & Baker the best combo

RT's Vaseline Tub

2 hours ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Both have improved since then. Flint's first season at this level and Baker was 24 or so and a bit rash.

I don't want us to have a 'first choice pairing'. I want it to be whoever has earned it should play. I appreciate the need to rotate players in a congested period of fixtures but we should take advantage of the quality we have in that position and make it tough competition to start.

LJ did say we could use 3 at the back with our personnel, would be interesting to see how that would work.

I've always said that Flint is a head it and kick it merchant and not a natural "footballer". By that mean he's not comfortable in possession and until last season we saw him hoof the ball up the pitch to no-one in particular pretty much every time he had the ball. I can remember moaning about "hoof" football at the time. That said after LJ has got him to play simple passes he's much better on that front. 

As we know Flint has goals in his game which both Wright and Baker don't have.

Baker is a better all round player with more ability than Flint but he's hot headed at times and was fortunate not get a straight red yesterday. He's another "head and kick it" defender like Flint. That  said the Villa faithful were hugely pissed off with Bruce for allowing him to leave. Apparently Bruce's nickname is "potato head"...................:rofl2br:

Wright is far more comfortable in possession but not as strong in the air as Flint or Baker but quicker and more mobile. Add to that his leadership skills and you have very decent CB.

Who'd be a manager eh?

8 hours ago, AppyDAZE said:

Shome mistake, surely

Play Nathan Flint along side Bailey Baker... problem solved

Yeah, you got me! My bad.

I meant Flint, Baker and Wright. To be fair to me, nobody should have the first name Bailey. That's definitely a surname.

2 hours ago, Xiled said:

Yeah, you got me! My bad.

I meant Flint, Baker and Wright. To be fair to me, nobody should have the first name Bailey. That's definitely a surname.

Yeah, don't even start on Taylor Moore.. i always thought Taylor as a first name was a girl... i must be gettin old

11 hours ago, Up The City! said:

I reckon it's a great dilemma to have. If one or two of them play badly then they lose their place straight away. Keeps them on their toes. 

As LJ said tho it is currently Wrights shirt so he should retain it tbh.

Disagree with you and LJ for that matter.

Surely it's currently Flint's shirt, and it can't be right to drop him after a very solid performance when he scored the winner.

11 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Surely it's currently Flint's shirt, and it can't be right to drop him after a very solid performance when he scored the winner.

Really really tough call....18:45 on Tuesday we will know.

29 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Do you really think Wright would have agreed to be rested if he wasn't given assurances about keeping the shirt?

It doesn't matter how well Flint performed, he knew the situation going into the game. From what I've seen of LJ he is a man of his word so wouldn't want to cause issues with Wright by going back on his word.

All this is irrelevant anyways cos Flint was clearly struggling towards the end, his tank was empty. We almost conceaded towards the end because Flint was on his last legs. I'm not taking anything away from his performance,  just think he will be too fatigued to put in an effective performance so soon.

9 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Really really tough call....18:45 on Tuesday we will know.

Not a tough call at all Dave, Flint should keep the shirt unless he's injured.

8 hours ago, Up The City! said:

Do you really think Wright would have agreed to be rested if he wasn't given assurances about keeping the shirt?

It doesn't matter how well Flint performed, he knew the situation going into the game. From what I've seen of LJ he is a man of his word so wouldn't want to cause issues with Wright by going back on his word. 

All this is irrelevant anyways cos Flint was clearly struggling towards the end, his tank was empty. We almost conceaded towards the end because Flint was on his last legs. I'm not taking anything away from his performance,  just think he will be too fatigued to put in an effective performance so soon.

I haven't heard anything about Wright being assured he would come straight back in, or if retaining Flint would mean LJ going back on his word to Wright.

Is that just your take on things or has LJ said such a thing publicly?

I don't believe Flint's tank was empty near the end, according to RB he may have hurt himself slightly in the act of scoring. As someone who never misses a game through fatigue or any other reason, it's very unlikely fatigue was an issue for him.

If Flint's not 100% fitness wise obviously bring back Wright, otherwise he should retain his place and Wright will simply have to wait his turn.

8 hours ago, Up The City! said:

Don't think he 'agreed to be rested' as such, but just wasn't picked. He had flown around the world and it really takes it out of you.

Not sure what LJ will do, but personally I hope Flint plays. Wouldn't be surprised to see us go 3/5 at the back actually.

Centre halves tend to recover quicker because the position requires less running. He just got cramp at the end, wasn't fatigue really.

9 hours ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Wright is a better footballer and leader. 

The "gift" that Flint has is his knack of scoring  goals - something Wright or Baker don't have.

Its upto LJ to decide whether Wright with his footballing ability and leadership skills outweighs Flint's ability to score the occasional goal.

I bet LJ is loving the competition between them and is firing Flint up into better performances by telling him the CB shirt belongs to Wright. 

It certainly worked at Reading......

Good, sensible management from LJ.

16 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Wright is a better footballer and leader. 

The "gift" that Flint has is his knack of scoring  goals - something Wright or Baker don't have.

Its upto LJ to decide whether Wright with his footballing ability and leadership skills outweighs Flint's ability to score the occasional goal.

I bet LJ is loving the competition between them and is firing Flint up into better performances by telling him the CB shirt belongs to Wright. 

It certainly worked at Reading......

Good, sensible management from LJ.

Whenever Flint plays he is a leader and the captain in everything but name.

I haven't seen anything to suggest Wright merits your praise for his footballing ability - a solid, uncompromising defender, but hardly greatly skilled.

Flint contributes far more to the team than just 'scoring the occasional goal', as you well know.

1 hour ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Whenever Flint plays he is a leader and the captain in everything but name.

I haven't seen anything to suggest Wright merits your praise for his footballing ability - a solid, uncompromising defender, but hardly greatly skilled.

Flint contributes far more to the team than just 'scoring the occasional goal', as you well know.

Watch Wright more closely next game at AG and you'll see his leadership and organisational skills along with his positional and tough defending on show.

Flint is a bang average pro footballer imv. Uncomfortable in possession, immobile but has the benefit of being a huge bloke and no doubt he uses his physical assets to the max. Baker is another huge bloke who like Flint uses his physical assets well but is a better footballer than Flint. He can and occasionally does bring the ball out of defence. He problem is his temperament and is always a greater yellow/red card risk than Flint or Wright.

I don't  see Flint as a leader in the team at all, talisman maybe.....

37 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Watch Wright more closely next game at AG and you'll see his leadership and organisational skills along with his positional and tough defending on show.

Flint is a bang average pro footballer imv. Uncomfortable in possession, immobile but has the benefit of being a huge bloke and no doubt he uses his physical assets to the max. Baker is another huge bloke who like Flint uses his physical assets well but is a better footballer than Flint. He can and occasionally does bring the ball out of defence. He problem is his temperament and is always a greater yellow/red card risk than Flint or Wright.

I don't  see Flint as a leader in the team at all, talisman maybe.....

I can't take your views on Flint seriously.

You've under valued,  over criticised, and written him off at every stage of his AG career and been proven wrong every single time.

Perhaps I shouldn't be, but after all the Flint related bilge you've put on OTIB over the years I'm surprised you've got the nerve to comment on Flint related threads at all these days.

If you really must post re. Flint it really should be to show your embarrassment and contrition about your wrong headed comments over the years.

11 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

I can't take your views on Flint seriously.

You've under valued,  over criticised, and written him off at every stage of his AG career and been proven wrong every single time.

Perhaps I shouldn't be, but after all the Flint related bilge you've put on OTIB over the years I'm surprised you've got the nerve to comment on Flint related threads at all these days.

If you really must post re. Flint it really should be to show your embarrassment and contrition about your wrong headed comments over the years.

Nogbad - you don't share my view on Flint as your view is the complete opposite but my view is not an isolated one.

No doubt at all that Flint has a great character with a quirky kind of charm but Championship quality he ain't. Maybe you're looking at his personal attributes rather than his footballing ones.

A couple of City fans I know well both commentated independently that Flint "isn't a natural footballer, but makes the most of his abilities" Sentiments I 100% agree with.

You and I are just going to agree to disagree on this topic.

21 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Nogbad - you don't share my view on Flint as your view is the complete opposite but my view is not an isolated one.

No doubt at all that Flint has a great character with a quirky kind of charm but Championship quality he ain't. Maybe you're looking at his personal attributes rather than his footballing ones.

A couple of City fans I know well both commentated independently that Flint "isn't a natural footballer, but makes the most of his abilities" Sentiments I 100% agree with.

You and I are just going to agree to disagree on this topic.

To say that overall Flint is not Championship standard is ridiculous.

As I say, proven wrong time and time again.

More than 100 apps. at this level - more than Wright btw - and more or less an ever present over 2 full seasons. Voted player of the season too, and obviously has admirers from Championship level even if they don't agree with City's 5 million pound plus asking price.

Your evaluation of Flint indicates you are not as good a judge of a player as you like to think you are.

Nogbad - my take on Flint as footballer hasn't changed one bit since he signed for City. As you know I've consistently posted that view which you vehemently disagree with. 

Debates about all things City is what otib is about and you and I have polarised views on Flint. We are not going to change each other's opinions so let's agree to disagree.

At the risk of sticking my nose into the discussion, I think you are both right in differing ways. 

However, the real question now is which one is considered to be the best to help us to the next level. 

And while it is a close call at present, I believe that with Wright and Baker, we have a basis for improvement from this level that Flint may find it difficult to achieve.

And in another year or two, we may be having the same discussion about Wright and Taylor Moore/Vyner or Baker and Magnússon/Plavotic.  

44 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Nogbad - my take on Flint as footballer hasn't changed one bit since he signed for City. As you know I've consistently posted that view which you vehemently disagree with. 

Debates about all things City is what otib is about and you and I have polarised views on Flint. We are not going to change each other's opinions so let's agree to disagree.

By 'not Championship standard' do you mean not good enough for this level full stop?

Or do you mean as a 'footballer' - in which I imagine you mean his skill on the ball?

I think he's comfortably good enough for this level as evidenced by interest from lots of better teams than us. 

I think in the right sort of team he could even play a level higher. West Brom would be a good fit. Gareth McAuley has done well there despite not being the most technical player and in his 30s.

54 minutes ago, Robbored said:

You're just repeatedly saying you don't rate him as Championship standard with nothing to back it up bar your immovable opinion.

I'm giving some reasoning and depth to my opinion in my replies which are backed up by statistics and the clear validation that other Championship clubs would like him in their team.

Debate is all well and good, but all contributors to OTIB who post regularly, and with strong opinions, will simply get it wrong sometimes and be visibly proven to have done so.

There comes a time when it's best to simply admit you were wrong, and this patently applies to you and your long standing determination to under value Flint imo.

8 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

By 'not Championship standard' do you mean not good enough for this level full stop?

Or do you mean as a 'footballer' - in which I imagine you mean his skill on the ball?

I think he's comfortably good enough for this level as evidenced by interest from lots of better teams than us. 

I think in the right sort of team he could even play a level higher. West Brom would be a good fit. Gareth McAuley has done well there despite not being the most technical player and in his 30s.

In my opinion Flint as a footballer is very limited. He's immobile and weak against people running at him. He's also uncomfortable with the ball at his feet. Wright on is a far better footballer.

Flint is obviously a colossus in both boxes and gets a decent amount of goals but to me he's League 1 standard at best.

Ive thought that consistently since he signed for City.

No point trying to convince me otherwise. I'll only change my view when Flint brings the ball out of defence on regular basis and we all know that won't happen.

7 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

You're just repeatedly saying you don't rate him as Championship standard with nothing to back it up bar your immovable opinion.

I'm giving some reasoning and depth to my opinion in my replies which are backed up by statistics and the clear validation that other Championship clubs would like him in their team.

Debate is all well and good, but all contributors to OTIB who post regularly, and with strong opinions, will simply get it wrong sometimes and be visibly proven to have done so.

There comes a time when it's best to simply admit you were wrong, and this patently applies to you and your long standing determination to under value Flint imo.

You're not going to change my opinion Nogbad. 

For the third time - lets agree to disagree on the Flint topic.

2 hours ago, Robbored said:

Flint is a bang average pro footballer imv. Uncomfortable in possession, immobile but has the benefit of being a huge bloke and no doubt he uses his physical assets to the max.

1 hour ago, Robbored said:

Flint has scored more goals than any other defender in English football since 2013. In fact, not just "more goals" but A LOT more goals - 11 more than his nearest rival Alfie Mawson.

I've seen Flint score headers, volleys, half volleys, left foot, right foot, rabonas, flicks.

It is absolutely absurd to state that he is not a "natural footballer" or that he is not Championship quality. Only the other night MA confirmed that Flint was being offered wages x2/3 times what he is on here.

Not saying he's Paolo Maldini but "bang average pro footballer" he is not.

Archived