IGNORED

FC Koln @ Arsenal

Bazooka Joe

FC Koln are the team I follow in the Bundesliga. They were the team Forest narrowly beat in the 1979 European Cup semi-final. They are called the Billy Goats and parade a goat called Hennes around their pitch before home games. He actually watches the game too. Currently I think he is Hennes VIII.

They've had some fantastic kits over the years - though tonight's isn't one of them - and passionate supporters as witnessed at the Emirates. I have a soft spot for them because their badge with a goat in front of the cathedral of Koln reminds me of City's best badge of a robin in front of the Suspension Bridge.

Koln aren't the force they were last season having lost a great goalscorer in Anthony Modeste to China.

1 hour ago, Northern Red said:

Henry Winter is predictably full of righteous indignation, demanding that UEFA take action against touts operating outside Holloway tube station, which would be an interesting extension to their jurisdiction. Perhaps they could deal with the roadworks there as well.

Winter is a proper EPL journalist.  Overpaid and overrated. Stuck in a bubble completely detached from reality

• Admin
10 hours ago, Midlands Robin said:

Fighting has broken out in the away end according to a tweet from the Telegraph's reporter. 

I can see this one getting called off all together. 

It was actually Cologne fans that had tickets in the home end trying to get across into the away end. Misreporting 

• Admin
9 hours ago, Betty Swallocks said:

Or deal with Arsenals computer system that failed to notice the hike in memberships from the Köln area of Germany! 

That has to be nonsense?

Tickets would be sold to Season Ticket holders etc first, then those with certain previous bookings.

The tickets would have gone through touts or independent resale websites that only require an email 

10 hours ago, handsofclay said:

FC Koln are the team I follow in the Bundesliga. They were the team Forest narrowly beat in the 1979 European Cup semi-final. They are called the Billy Goats and parade a goat called Hennes around their pitch before home games. He actually watches the game too. Currently I think he is Hennes VIII.

They've had some fantastic kits over the years - though tonight's isn't one of them - and passionate supporters as witnessed at the Emirates. I have a soft spot for them because their badge with a goat in front of the cathedral of Koln reminds me of City's best badge of a robin in front of the Suspension Bridge.

Koln aren't the force they were last season having lost a great goalscorer in Anthony Modeste to China.

And, of course, Lukas Podolski was a star for both Koln and Arsenal.

12 minutes ago, matalan12 said:

We know nothing about ultra support in this country. Germans showing us right up, off the pitch and on it. We can learn a hell of a lot from them. Different world all together.

Whilst I agree with your general point, I don't think losing 1-3 is showing us (or Arsenal at least) right up on the pitch?

Pretty pathetic overreactions from the English press today tbh, bleating on about returning to the dark days when there were 5 (five) arrests. Fair play to Köln's fans for their backing of their side, ingenuity and actually creating an atmosphere in a Premier League stadium.

17 minutes ago, matalan12 said:

We know nothing about ultra support in this country. Germans showing us right up, off the pitch and on it. We can learn a hell of a lot from them. Different world all together.

Indeed, although a major difference, of course, is how much closer to the club the fans tend to be in Germany, in many cases actually 'owning' the club by virtue of the 50 + 1 rule, thus enabling them to keep ticket prices low.

@Blagdon red follows Berlin's second team, Union Berlin, and the following excerpt copied shamelessly from Wikipedia might give you some insight as to the genuinely close relationship between German clubs and their supporters.

'In the middle of 2008, the club decided to finally modernise the stadium, the Stadion An der Alten Försterei (Old Forester's House). Money was still tight, and so the fans simply built the ground themselves. More than 2,000 Union supporters invested 140,000 working hours to create what is now regarded as the largest football-only stadium in Berlin. Inside the stadium an array of outside beer kiosks and open air grills serving bratwurst and pork steaks at the back of the stand provide the culinary staples. The official opening on 12 July 2013, was celebrated with a friendly against Scottish Champions Celtic F.C.. It holds 22,012 people with 3,617 seats. The rest is terracing.

World Cup Living Room[edit]

In 2014, the club came up with the idea of inviting fans to take their own sofas to the ground for the whole of the World Cup. More than 800 sofas were placed on the pitch in rows in front of the big screen. The event was later recognized with the Fan Experience Award at The Stadium Business Summit 2015 in Barcelona.'

6 minutes ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

Indeed, although a major difference, of course, is how much closer to the club the fans tend to be in Germany, in many cases actually 'owning' the club by virtue of the 50 + 1 rule, thus enabling them to keep ticket prices low.

@Blagdon red follows Berlin's second team, Union Berlin, and the following excerpt copied shamelessly from Wikipedia might give you some insight as to the genuinely close relationship between German clubs and their supporters.

'In the middle of 2008, the club decided to finally modernise the stadium, the Stadion An der Alten Försterei (Old Forester's House). Money was still tight, and so the fans simply built the ground themselves. More than 2,000 Union supporters invested 140,000 working hours to create what is now regarded as the largest football-only stadium in Berlin. Inside the stadium an array of outside beer kiosks and open air grills serving bratwurst and pork steaks at the back of the stand provide the culinary staples. The official opening on 12 July 2013, was celebrated with a friendly against Scottish Champions Celtic F.C.. It holds 22,012 people with 3,617 seats. The rest is terracing.

In 2014, the club came up with the idea of inviting fans to take their own sofas to the ground for the whole of the World Cup. More than 800 sofas were placed on the pitch in rows in front of the big screen. The event was later recognized with the Fan Experience Award at The Stadium Business Summit 2015 in Barcelona.'

Good post. I married into a German family and so have been over many times. Feels like British people will sit and moan about things whereas Germans will come together and make this happen.  Not just in sport but local politics too.  

31 minutes ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

I agree that the 50+1 rule is great and is one of the reasons I'm not SLs biggest fan. However you see these connections between club and fans all over the world from Italy, France, Spain, Poland, Brazil, Indonesia etc. The simple truth is that English football fans no longer support their clubs (the club includes every fan, player and member of staff, as well as the infastructure and history), but instead support the football team. Arsenal fans for example who continue to buy season tickets of 1k plus whilst their fellow fans have been priced out, clearly don't support the club, just the team. If it were a true club then the games would be boycotted by everyone till it was reasonable because it is supposed to be like a family, no? A boycott would occur in almost every other club outside the UK. A few years ago, Dortmund fans boycotted their big derby away at Schalke because they were asked to pay 22 euros (£19 at the time) for a ticket.  

English football is like the theatre. Sit in your seat, buy a pie and a drink and we'll charge you extortionate rates for the privilege. English football is dead, and it pains me to say it. 

15 minutes ago, Welcome To The Jungle said:

I agree that the 50+1 rule is great and is one of the reasons I'm not SLs biggest fan. However you see these connections between club and fans all over the world from Italy, France, Spain, Poland, Brazil, Indonesia etc. The simple truth is that English football fans no longer support their clubs (the club includes every fan, player and member of staff, as well as the infastructure and history), but instead support the football team. Arsenal fans for example who continue to buy season tickets of 1k plus whilst their fellow fans have been priced out, clearly don't support the club, just the team. If it were a true club then the games would be boycotted by everyone till it was reasonable because it is supposed to be like a family, no? A boycott would occur in almost every other club outside the UK. A few years ago, Dortmund fans boycotted their big derby away at Schalke because they were asked to pay 22 euros (£19 at the time) for a ticket.  

English football is like the theatre. Sit in your seat, buy a pie and a drink and we'll charge you extortionate rates for the privilege. English football is dead, and it pains me to say it. 

Agree with you. Sad thing is, we created fan culture and other countries have developed it themselves whilst it's rotted here.

17 hours ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Cologne is the 4th biggest city in Germany so they're not exactly small fry.

Mob of 20k causing chaos and turning up at the ground, 17k without tickets. Got a lot of time for that. Fair play to them. 

I'm in Cologne in Nov, just checked and they're at home - might have to go and see for myself!

I saw Koln play Frankfurt in March. Great experience- fantastic ground and atmosphere. Make sure you get to one of the traditional bierkellers first and sample the local Kolsch!

UEFA charges for each team

Cologne

• Crowd disturbances

• Setting off fireworks

• Throwing of objects

• Acts of damage

Arsenal

Stairways blocked in away supporters sector

What exactly were Arsenal supposed to do for their charge given how many Koln fans there were?

It was crazy to see thousands outside for Koln yet all through the match so many seats were empty for Arsenal. Yes they said many fans were prevented from getting in , and the extra hour and 20 mins difference from kicking off at a normal night match time didn't help, but to see the white canon clearly visible in the seating was shocking

Archived