IGNORED

FC Koln @ Arsenal

Bazooka Joe

On the BBC piece, an interesting section- others have touched upon it but he seems to know what he's talking about. They are a good sized club though, FC Cologne. Underachievers if anything.

Was this level of support to be expected? - analysis

Cologne-based German football expert Archie Rhind-Tutt, who was at Emirates Stadium:

It was well known there would be 20,000 fans travelling as that is the number of people who applied for tickets. In fact, the only surprise to me was that more didn't make the journey.

Cologne are a really big club in Germany - they get 50,000 at their home games - but the reason for the level of interest in this game in particular is that, in the past 20 years, they have been relegated five times and as a result, qualifying for Europe was always going to be a big deal for them.

You only had to see thousands of their fans invade the pitch on the final day of last season when they achieved that aim of reaching the Europa League to see what it meant to them.

Cologne fans are renowned for getting over-excited at the merest glimpse of success and, right now, the club being in Europe really is the talk of the town - it's all anyone is speaking about.

In my own circle of friends I know people who booked their transport and just wanted to be in London for the experience. Once here, people were always going to try to get to the game if they could.

Even when they were in the second division in 2012 they were getting 40,000 fans. They've come through some dark times so it's not a surprise this many people wanted to be part of a big night.

And while they are a big club, in this instance they assumed the role of the smaller team in terms of being all bushy-eyed at the experience of playing a club like Arsenal.

Does the club have a hardcore faction to their support? Yes. And judging by the reports that some of them stormed the home ends then it seems they did misbehave. But that is a hardcore faction and it wasn't the majority.

From what I saw, even after the news of issues before the game, there was a really jovial atmosphere between the fans, but clearly that depends on where you were in the ground.

41 minutes ago, WhistleHappy said:

Don't mention the war.... I did once but I think I got away with it...

(very tempted to post an inappropriate post, its funny in my head, but I daren't it would possibly get me an otib ban.. and it would be very un PC.. )

Do it....call yourself a comedian, charge £35 for the privilege, and say what you want....seems to work in this PC world ;-)

16 hours ago, WhistleHappy said:

Don't mention the war.... I did once but I think I got away with it...

(very tempted to post an inappropriate post, its funny in my head, but I daren't it would possibly get me an otib ban.. and it would be very un PC.. )

I shouldn't worry too much. 

They flattened our stand at AG. As well as most of our medieval city. 

On 14/09/2017 at 21:00, cityexile said:

Worth adding the only way they could have got so many tickets in the home end was Arsenal fans selling them. Bit poor really.

One report now says that the touts did a roaring trade. OK Gunners fans, own up: who sold their ticket to a ticket agency / tout?

Archived