IGNORED

3 defeats in last 23

Bar BS3

3 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

In fairness, at last, people are starting to change their minds and accept that LJ might have something about him. 

With the odd few, obvious exceptions, who wouldn't class Ghandi as a decent sort of guy, if his name was Lee Johnson..! 

I don't mean to derail this into yet another of those types of threads but I do think it'll be very interesting to see how long the 'credit' from this excellent run lasts - if the wheels come off - compared to the opposite feeling that seems to have lasted a completely disproportionate amount of time. 

32 minutes ago, Jack Dawe said:

When was Lee Tomlin finally dropped and discarded - about 23 games ago? 

There's no arguing with stats like that (3 or 4 defeats in 23), very encouraging; and the last two performances have been thoroughly enjoyable and entertaining. 

Nail. Head. 

Amazing how much things improve when you have eleven players on the pitch. 

30 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

yea, but I'm not getting too carried away with it thats all, I seem to remember similar threads last season and we know how that went,

Just keeping my feet on the ground :) 

It's nothing to do with getting carried away. I'm not making any wild predictions or making ridiculous claims (other than it being 4, not 3 defeats!) 

I'm simply pointing out the form that we are in over a prolonged period, since a much tougher time. A time that some people didn't think we'd be able to recover from, let alone grow from strength to strength. 

It's nothing to do with getting carried away. I'm not making any wild predictions or making ridiculous claims (other than it being 4, not 3 defeats!) 

I'm simply pointing out the form that we are in over a prolonged period, since a much tougher time. A time that some people didn't think we'd be able to recover from, let alone grow from strength to strength. 

and good for you, Like I said I'm not getting carried away with it yet, I never said anything about you getting carried away,

I pointed out that we had similar threads to this last season, 

34 minutes ago, Jack Dawe said:

When was Lee Tomlin finally dropped and discarded - about 23 games ago? 

There's no arguing with stats like that (3 or 4 defeats in 23), very encouraging; and the last two performances have been thoroughly enjoyable and entertaining. 

I think, only now, can we really see what poisonous character Lee Tomlin was. And I was one of his biggest fans, early doors. 

To think how some people were siding with Tomlin over LJ. I hope they feel rather daft now. 

I think, only now, can we really see what poisonous character Lee Tomlin was. And I was one of his biggest fans, early doors. 

To think how some people were siding with Tomlin over LJ. I hope they feel rather daft now. 

some people would side with hitler or Howard Shipman over LJ

3 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

and good for you, Like I said I'm not getting carried away with it yet, I never said anything about you getting carried away,

True, we did. We didn't have the squad that we've got now though! When (not "if") we lose a couple of games in a row, we can confidently make changes, without fear of weakening the starting 11. 

To which you might add the fact that we won every one of our pre-season matches. 

To be able to make nine changes and not just beat a premiership club but make them look second rate is astonishing.  I'm beginning to think that this may be the strongest City squad in my 50 years of supporting the club (let's face it, even when we go to the top tier, it was on the strength of a squad of 17 or 18 players - that was the way the game was in those days).  I can't remember a time when we could have turned out two different starting XIs with no loss of quality.

12 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

Well you mentioned the play offs! 

Far too early for that. ;)

4 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

Hopefully, Tomlin is working his "magic" on Cardiff as we speak, as he did here last season. Poisonous, and odious. 

12 minutes ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

To which you might add the fact that we won every one of our pre-season matches. 

To be able to make nine changes and not just beat a premiership club but make them look second rate is astonishing.  I'm beginning to think that this may be the strongest City squad in my 50 years of supporting the club (let's face it, even when we go to the top tier, it was on the strength of a squad of 17 or 18 players - that was the way the game was in those days).  I can't remember a time when we could have turned out two different starting XIs with no loss of quality.

I haven't been around for 50 years but I can well believe that is true. I thought we had plenty of depth in most areas of the squad last season as well though and I think it is no coincidence that we are suddenly doing well in the cup competitions: 4th round of the EFL Cup twice in succession and 5th round of the FA Cup last season.

But LJ has spent coming on for £25m and signed approx. 26 players for the first team squad so in a way it doesn't come as a tremendous surprise that we have strength in depth. Difference so far this season seems to be that the squad is being utilised better. I think LJ said we had 6 internationals in the squad last night - not exactly a weakened team as we know it!

6 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

I haven't been around for 50 years but I can well believe that is true. I thought we had plenty of depth in most areas of the squad last season as well though and I think it is no coincidence that we are suddenly doing well in the cup competitions: 4th round of the EFL Cup twice in succession and 5th round of the FA Cup last season.

But LJ has spent coming on for £25m and signed approx. 26 players for the first team squad so in a way it doesn't come as a tremendous surprise that we have strength in depth. Difference so far this season seems to be that the squad is being utilised better. I think LJ said we had 6 internationals in the squad last night - not exactly a weakened team as we know it!

Spent £25million but recouped how much...?

Kodjia, Tomlin, plus others such as Freeman, Ayling & Agard to top up the total, plus the sell on money from Bolasie & Albert. 

I doubt our net spend is actually very much at all. Happy days! 

7 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

But LJ has spent coming on for £25m and signed approx. 26 players for the first team squad

You keep banging this drum about how much money LJ has spent without acknowledging the net spend is much lower than that. There is no way £25m would have been shelled out if we hadn't received a good wedge for Kodjia, money back for Tomlin and some sell on fees.

Sure, he's still spent a decent amount but prices are massively massively inflated as we all know too. 

2 minutes ago, Chris_Brown said:

You keep banging this drum about how much money LJ has spent without acknowledging the net spend is much lower than that. There is no way £25m would have been shelled out if we hadn't received a good wedge for Kodjia, money back for Tomlin and some sell on fees.

Sure, he's still spent a decent amount but prices are massively massively inflated as we all know too. 

don't worry that sensible argument won't be used by some, the money we've spent is nothing compared to some of our rivals in this league, the vast majority of them have spent more then us

7 minutes ago, Chris_Brown said:

A very sensible reply Chris but sensible replies are lost on certain posters on otib..........:facepalm:

LJ has strengthened the squad without spending huge sums on a marquee signing. Sure Diedhiou was the clubs record signing at £5.3m but in today's market that's peanuts. 

9 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

Kodjia, Tomlin, plus others such as Freeman, Ayling & Agard to top up the total, plus the sell on money from Bolasie & Albert. 

6 minutes ago, Chris_Brown said:

Like a pack of hounds!

Look, my point is quite simple. LJ has spent coming on for £25m in 18 months or so on 26 senior/first team squad players therefore I am not surprised we have a strong squad. There is nothing more to be read into this comment. Net spend/Kodjia etc not sure what that has to do with my point? Or are you saying he has only be able to assemble this squad due to the sale of Kodjia? In which case, he owes Cotterill and Burt a drink or ten!

According to transfermarkt (fairly reliable) our net spend is €9m

Last years it has as €1.6m profit, without counting the sell on from Adomah or Bolasie.*

So (adjusted for rounding once converted) £8m spent this season.

£1.4m profit last year before Adomah and Bolasie sell ons.

How much was the Bolasie one, 4-5m? 

Adomah another million?

If those numbers are anywhere near right (Bolasie and Adomahs) then our net spend under LJ is....

600k-1.6m*

22 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

16 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

13 minutes ago, Chris_Brown said:

*there was no figure for Agard or Williams, I thought we got a fee of circa 700k ish for Agard, but may well be wrong.

10 hours ago, Bar BS3 said:

What an outstanding, remarkable turnaround we have shown, from a point where many/most people could see little/no light at the end of the tunnel. 

To only lose 3 games (in all competitions) in our last 23 matches is testiment to just how much hard work must have been going on behind the scenes during those tough times last season. 

It wont last forever. We know that!

We've all seen false dawns. Too many. 

However, I'd go so far as to say that this is possibly the best squad & best set up, we have ever had here. Certainly in my 30 years of watching City. 

Long may the positives outweigh the negatives!

P.S. Fix the bloody PA system! :whistle:

3 defeats .

Johnson Out :protest:

32 minutes ago, JamesBCFC said:

The former was in charge of a German side, was a real force to be reckoned with, but things fell apart quite quickly after a tactical error in one winter.

He ended up biting the bullet as a result.

the other ran out of patients, he was hung out to dry

1 hour ago, JamesBCFC said:

there was no figure for Agard or Williams, I thought we got a fee of circa 700k ish for Agard, but may well be wrong.

I thought it was £1.5m - we paid c£750k

I thought is was ironic that Robinson paid twice what we paid for the same player when he said we'd pretty much bought the league just 2 seasons before

In defence of Kid In The Riot, the point he was making is that we've had a lot of players come in for a decent wedge under LJ, so us having a good squad is no surprise really. And the net spend isn't nearly as relevant on the pitch as it is off it. Other than losing Kodjia, I don't think we've lost a player that we would have been particularly bothered about keeping under LJ. I think the counter point to a good that is that LJ hasn't been given unfair advantage over previous managers, he was just lucky that he was around when there was more cash in the kitty from player sales

7 minutes ago, chipdawg said:

In defence of Kid In The Riot, the point he was making is that we've had a lot of players come in for a decent wedge under LJ, so us having a good squad is no surprise really. And the net spend isn't nearly as relative on the pitch as it is off it. Other than losing Kodjia, I don't think we've lost a player that we would have been particularly bothered about keeping under LJ. I think the counter point to a good that is that LJ hasn't been given unfair advantage over previous managers, he was just lucky that he was around when there was more cash in the kitty from player sales

and raised off field revenue as well as corporate revenue no other manager in our entire history has had the luxury of the revenue streams we now have at the club

6 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

and raised off field revenue as well as corporate revenue no other manager in our entire history has had the luxury of the revenue streams we now have at the club

Agreed. LJ isn't being backed more than any other manager in history without the cash being there to pay for it

It's not about how much money has been spent...it's much more than that.

Every time money is mentioned, someone will bring up another team that's doing better, that have spent less money....yet fail to mention the teams with far more finance and expenditure that are doing worse.

We are presently reaping the rewards of money being spent wisely and astutely. Not for short term success...but long term.

We have given our Coach time...believed in the 'project', even when it looked easier to bail out and jump ship.

Have a plan, spend wisely for the long term project, get the right players in, that perfectly fit into that project and believe in it, get rid of ones that don't. Bring in a coaching team that all sing from the same hymn sheet. Better the infrastructure...training facilities, technology, analysts, scouts, fitness, psychology etc.

Have a long term plan....believe in it, give it time....don't see the rest of the football managerial sacking merry go round as a sensible idea....and it will eventually come good.

Perhaps other Clubs will start to sit up and take notice, and see that sacking all the time and thinking short term doesn't work.

You can look at it a number of ways tbh.

How many of the players sold were resale value from Cotts' signings? I think the squad is great and still some good room for growth.  The money of course has been substantial- and huge historically for us, but then it's substantial for plenty at this level.

Same time, as Monkeh said, off field revenue higher than ever before- lot of factors here.

Most of the players we sold- I'm not including those released on frees or loaned out- but sold, gained revenue for- were Cotts signings.

Agard, Ayling, Freeman, Kodjia. All signed by Cotts, dare say we made a profit on all too. Possible exception Freeman, though it's hard to tell as fees these days are generally undisclosed. Also he was last year of contract so...Certainly as a collective though the revenue has been valuable.

Archived