IGNORED

Barcelona to play behind closed doors after trouble in Catalonia.

cityexile

7 minutes ago, cityexile said:

All to do with an 'illegal' independence vote today in Catalonia. All going down over there.

https://mobile.twitter.com/AndyMitten/status/914483291738255361

Opps!

If they Somerset freedom fighters ever mobilise we'll be in a similar position.

Thankfully, farm shops selling cloudy mean it's unlikely to happen.

The pictures and videos coming out of Spain today are shocking. Totally unnecessary violence against people just trying to vote - whether it’s an illegitimate referendum or not.

I’ve lived and worked in Spain and I’m not surprised by the actions of the police. I’ve come into contact with them before and I’ve found they’re aggressive, reactionary and generally seem to have a masculinity complex.

Terrible PR for Rajoy and his horrific government. Over 450 people injured today - totally unnecessarily. As a country we are far ahead of Spain in many ways. Things like this show that. 

9 minutes ago, hodge said:

Fire department forming barriers to protect civilians trying to vote.

Also interesting accounts of the Mossos D’Esquadra (Catalan Police) assisting and protecting voters and even confonting the Guardia Civil (who are trying to stop it).

https://twitter.com/cataloniahelp2/status/914497680709242880

Huge demonstrations in support of the Catalans in the Basque regions too.

47 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

The pictures and videos coming out of Spain today are shocking. Totally unnecessary violence against people just trying to vote - whether it’s an illegitimate referendum or not.

I’ve lived and worked in Spain and I’m not surprised by the actions of the police. I’ve come into contact with them before and I’ve found they’re aggressive, reactionary and generally seem to have a masculinity complex.

Terrible PR for Rajoy and his horrific government. Over 450 people injured today - totally unnecessarily. As a country we are far ahead of Spain in many ways. Things like this show that. 

The trouble is the Spanish government have said they will use whatever force is necessary to stop/break this up, they have the blood on their hands and this will not end well.

But I expect the EU will find a solution:whistle:.

8 minutes ago, Esmond Million's Bung said:

The trouble is the Spanish government have said they will use whatever force is necessary to stop/break this up, they have the blood on their hands and this will not end well.

But I expect the EU will find a solution:whistle:.

You’re right. Their police operate on an ‘act first - ask questions later’ policy. Possibly a hangover from Francoism to have such an authoritarian way of dealing with things like this.

Lots of Franco sympathisers in the police force apparently..

4 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

You’re right. Their police operate on an ‘act first - ask questions later’ policy. Possibly a hangover from Francoism to have such an authoritarian way of dealing with things like this.

Be interested to know whether the police there today seemingly hitting anything and everything in sight  are Catalan fighting their own or have been brought in from outside. From what I've seen it's been shocking - not been good and I would've thought it'll just fuel the fires for the independence campaign in the future. 

4 minutes ago, lenred said:

Be interested to know whether the police there today seemingly hitting anything and everything in sight  are Catalan fighting their own or have been brought in from outside. From what I've seen it's been shocking - not been good and I would've thought it'll just fuel the fires for the independence campaign in the future. 

I think lots are Guardia Civil that have been bought in. I don’t think Madrid would trust the Catalonian police to deal with it how they’d want.

Reports that firefighters and Catalan police have been assisting voters and voting themselves. There’s a shocking video on Owen Jones’ twitter of firefighters being attacked by Guardia Civil.

It’s such a bizarre PR move from Rajoy. Not only will it strengthen the resolve of the Catalonians, but it’ll invigorate the Basque independence campaign and give the Catalan independence cause more outside support. These pictures and videos are really damaging.

1 hour ago, Phileas Fogg said:

I`ve just finished a book about the history of modern Spain from before Franco and there are an awful lot of Spanish who are very much sympathisers, not just in the police and army but the general non-Catalan and non-Basque populace. It`s been simmering away for years - ever since Franco died really - and doesn`t take a lot to rise to the surface.

I believe we are watching the beginning of the break up of Spain as a nation - the economy`s shot to pieces and there`s discontent everywhere. It`s reminiscent of the Balkans post Tito but without the civil wars I dearly hope.

7 minutes ago, Red Right Hand said:

I`ve just finished a book about the history of modern Spain from before Franco and there are an awful lot of Spanish who are very much sympathisers, not just in the police and army but the general non-Catalan and non-Basque populace. It`s been simmering away for years - ever since Franco died really - and doesn`t take a lot to rise to the surface.

I believe we are watching the beginning of the break up of Spain as a nation - the economy`s shot to pieces and there`s discontent everywhere. It`s reminiscent of the Balkans post Tito but without the civil wars I dearly hope.

I have spent time there and love the country but I agree. It’s far behind Northern Europe in many ways and plenty of the elderly generation can’t read or write due to Franco’s reign.

There’s 4 or 5 different independence movements in the country - some more prominent than others - which is lots and demonstrates the divisions. It’s a huge land mass with a vastly different culture in the different regions which is pretty phenomenal. 

I met many Franco sympathisers during my time there who simply think the country was better off with him about. 

1 hour ago, lenred said:

Guardia Civil brought in from outside Catalonia so no sympathisers amongst them. Could be an interesting next home game for Barca when stadium is opened and I dare say the next Real Madrid v Barca game as its always been seen as Catalonia versus the Spanish establishment 

13 minutes ago, INCRED said:

Guardia Civil brought in from outside Catalonia so no sympathisers amongst them. Could be an interesting next home game for Barca when stadium is opened and I dare say the next Real Madrid v Barca game as its always been seen as Catalonia versus the Spanish establishment 

As it happens, Barca's first game after the international break is away at Atletico Madrid.

13 minutes ago, Northern Red said:

As it happens, Barca's first game after the international break is away at Atletico Madrid.

If anything, Atletico Madrid are the loyalist team in Madrid. Some connection to their Air Force. Real Madrid fans tend to be far more passive due to the amount of tourists.

Difference there is that there’s not really a culture of travelling to away games so there’s unlikely to be the same issues there would be if the game was in Northern Europe.

17 minutes ago, wendyredredrobin said:

It seems that thee was a fair chance of the vote going against independence until the Spanish government pitched in.  It won't now.  Only problem is that the Spanish government have now stolen the ballot boxes.

Imagine if we did this in Scotlamd.

Yet the joke was that to ensure Scottish independence; Give the English the vote in that referendum! :P

More seriously; today's events will guarantee Gibraltarians will not want to become Spanish.

14 minutes ago, El Hombrecito said:

There is a lot of Spain flags on show at the Real Madrid v Espanyol (from Cataluña) game right now.

It appears the club gave out a little Spanish flag to all fans today. Does feel like stirring the pot a bit unnecessarily to be honest. FIFA will just be glad they are not poppies I guess. 

22 hours ago, screech said:

Statement from the leaders of the free thinking EU condemning the violence just released, it says

"     "

Signed

The Leaders of The EU

XX

Actually @screech I just found this from the peace loving EU, it is refreshing to know that our EU partners never fail to disappoint.

The Vice President of the European Parliament has described today's events in Catalonia as a "coup against Europe".

But sweet FA about the violence, just imagine what the EU would say if parliament had sent an English goon squad in to stop a 2nd Scottish independence vote had there been one.

1 hour ago, Esmond Million's Bung said:

Actually @screech I just found this from the peace loving EU, it is refreshing to know that our EU partners never fail to disappoint.

The Vice President of the European Parliament has described today's events in Catalonia as a "coup against Europe".

But sweet FA about the violence, just imagine what the EU would say if parliament had sent an English goon squad in to stop a 2nd Scottish independence vote had there been one.

The madness has no end it seems. Who is that person anyway? No cheating by googling either.

4 minutes ago, B block said:

If they gained independence Spain would surely stop Barcelona playing in la liga, that would literally destroy Barcelona overnight, who would they play ?

I think there'd be a big push for a European Super League of some description in that instance. I don't think it would be in Spain's best interest to stop Barcelona playing in La Liga anyway.

10 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

I think there'd be a big push for a European Super League of some description in that instance. I don't think it would be in Spain's best interest to stop Barcelona playing in La Liga anyway.

I wouldn't underestimate the Spanish pulling the plug if they go down the independent route, although the euro leagues on the cards that's for sure, the big sides don't have enough money at the moment (as if) so want their greedy little hands on more cash 

9 minutes ago, B block said:

I wouldn't underestimate the Spanish pulling the plug if they go down the independent route, although the euro leagues on the cards that's for sure, the big sides don't have enough money at the moment (as if) so want their greedy little hands on more cash 

I don't think Catalan independence will happen any time soon, but theoretically if it did I suppose they might ban Barcelona from La Liga as a bit of symbolism. Commercially though it would be awful for the league and they'd face pressure from lots of sponsors to make an exception.

I think the Super League thing will happen in some form eventually sadly.

Archived