IGNORED

The Official Sunderland v Bristol City Match Day Thread 14

That was a battling away performance in difficult conditions.

I thought we looked comfortable throughout and just missed a bit of joined up play in the final third.

No team at home is going to lie down and give three points to their opponents.

We are so much better at managing games and these lads don't fear going anywhere.

Well done to all concerned.

Massive respect to the Red Army .

:clapping:

• Like 15

LJ: “If a scout was watching me then I wouldn’t get the Barcelona job on the back of that. It wasn’t a spectacle.” #SUNvBRC

LJ: “They were the better side in the first half and in a way the goal before half-time shook us up a bit.” #SUNvBRC

Love the honesty there, speaking to people who went that was the worst win we’ve had in championship. Reminds me of our Champions season. Won ugly away and that boosts confidence imo.

LJ: “That cross from Callum we call a ‘come and head me cross’ and Milan was brilliant at the back post.” #SUNvBRC

Good job Milan is fit again otherwise we would be in some serious trouble!

4 minutes ago, You Do The Dziekanowski said:

LJ: “If a scout was watching me then I wouldn’t get the Barcelona job on the back of that. It wasn’t a spectacle.” #SUNvBRC

LJ: “They were the better side in the first half and in a way the goal before half-time shook us up a bit.” #SUNvBRC

Love the honesty there, speaking to people who went that was the worst win we’ve had in championship. Reminds me of our Champions season. Won ugly away and that boosts confidence imo.

LJ: “That cross from Callum we call a ‘come and head me cross’ and Milan was brilliant at the back post.” #SUNvBRC

Good job Milan is fit again otherwise we would be in some serious trouble!

We'd get by . 

The coaches haven't got much wrong this season .

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

Superb result. Can’t believe I’m reading some criticism. Can’t always win beautiful but three away points in this league are always cause for a celebration. 

Well done all. 

Well I have just gone back over the posts and I cannot see anything other than mainly constructive criticism, about areas that might need improvement.

Yes it was a great win but part of the love of football is the discussions that occur after a game, like @Harry stoic defence of Pack, for me today it was a typical Pack performance some very good, some good and some very poor, what was evident to me was how Pack improved dramatically with the introduction of Smith, Pack looks a far better player when Smith is playing, bottom line for me is Smith is a far more important player than Pack, but @Harry probably wouldn't agree and that is football, but I think my view is constructive because as poor as Pack was against Leeds after the first 20 minutes of the Palarse game Pack he was terrific.

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, Esmond Million's Bung said:

Well I have just gone back over the posts and I cannot see anything other than mainly constructive criticism, about areas that might need improvement.

Yes it was a great win but part of the love of football is the discussions that occur after a game, like @Harry stoic defence of Pack, for me today it was a typical Pack performance some very good, some good and some very poor, what was evident to me was how Pack improved dramatically with the introduction of Smith, Pack looks a far better player when Smith is playing, bottom line for me is Smith is a far more important player than Pack, but @Harry probably wouldn't agree and that is football, but I think my view is constructive because as poor as Pack was against Leeds after the first 20 minutes of the Palarse game Pack he was terrific.

Partnerships are hugely important in football Es. Pack & Smith work very well together and have brought each other's games on very well in the last 3 years of their regular pairing. 

Pack has been poorer alongside Brownhill, agreed. 

My aim though is not to stoically defend him. It's more to repel unnecessary criticism - i.e. People saying he's awful and not worthy of a place in this squad, saying he can't pass etc etc. He's proven his worth over his time at our club and is rarely someone who deserves such a pounding as he's been consistently good over his time here. 

• Like 10
4 minutes ago, Esmond Million's Bung said:

Absolutely, I just can’t help but feel that sometimes people don’t give players the credit they deserve. 

Great result in horrible conditions, after 2 days less rest than Sunderland for many of them. A superb effort. 

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Harry said:

Partnerships are hugely important in football Es. Pack & Smith work very well together and have brought each other's games on very well in the last 3 years of their regular pairing. 

Pack has been poorer alongside Brownhill, agreed. 

My aim though is not to stoically defend him. It's more to repel unnecessary criticism - i.e. People saying he's awful and not worthy of a place in this squad, saying he can't pass etc etc. He's proven his worth over his time at our club and is rarely someone who deserves such a pounding as he's been consistently good over his time here. 

I agree but today until the introduction of Smith he was looking below average, his passing radar was off, he was missing tackles, LJ got his substitutions spot on today and Smith's introduction was especially timely for Pack because he suddenly improved no end and we took control of midfield, believe me had we drawn or lost Pack would have probably had far more stick.

Like quite a few of our squad Pack is limited in his all round game .

I thought he had a good game today and applaud him .

He headed away a lot of Sunderland long balls , he was quicker in his distribution than recently and got stuck in .

We all know the weaknesses in our  squad but they have heart and spirit in spades.

You could bring in more quality , technically better players but it's not a guarantee that we'd improve.

• Like 2
4 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

Absolutely, I just can’t help but feel that sometimes people don’t give players the credit they deserve. 

Great result in horrible conditions, after 2 days less rest than Sunderland for many of them. A superb effort. 

Indeed but as I said in the ratings I posted earlier in this thread and even LJ alluded to today we almost made a piss poor team with a support waiting to get on to their teams back look like a very average side, the introduction of Smith suddenly gave us midfield superiority and the introduction of Đurić meant the ball was sticking upfield for longer. LJ got his substitutions spot on today.

A superb effort indeed but surely we cannot just rest on our laurels.

Areas to improve, midfield hopefully a fit Smith will help with that one, better decision making and less over complicating in dangerous positions and being less wasteful in very good positions.

Oh yes far far better free kicks.

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

Like quite a few of our squad Pack is limited in his all round game .

I thought he had a good game today and applaud him .

He headed away a lot of Sunderland long balls , he was quicker in his distribution than recently and got stuck in .

We all know the weaknesses in our  squad but they have heart and spirit in spades.

You could bring in more quality , technically better players but it's not a guarantee that we'd improve.

I agree with the highlighted parts Major but he was below average and we never ever fully took control of midfield until Smith came on and then everything changed, for the last hour we pretty much controlled the game especially midfield and created several good chances, Reid got greedy and O'Dowda maybe should have done better with 2 reasonable chances.

1 hour ago, RedDave said:

Give Pack all the time in the world and he is a very good passer.  Under pressure he is poor.  I am much more interested in the latter as we aim to become a top eight side.  

Give me all the time in the world and I am a good passer. Under pressure I am poor. Can I have a trial?

12 minutes ago, RUSSEL85 said:

Anyone read the Sunderland thread, good god not a happy bunch.

No surprise there; look how far and fast they have fallen.

Just read one Sunderland fans forum where one Mackem 'pundit' says that only Flint from BCFC would get into their starting 11 because they have the best squad in the league and it's all Grayson's fault.

Typical entitled 'former' big club fan, Bryan, Pisano, Baker, O'Dowda, Smith, Reid and maybe even Đurić and certainly Brownhill as a squad player, would enhance their under achieving pussies on this showing and performances over the past 2 years or more.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, RUSSEL85 said:

Anyone read the Sunderland thread, good god not a happy bunch.

Yeah read the whole f....n thing 48 pages am I nuts?

After about 30 we get a mention. To cut it short they have never heard of any of our players and to loose to Bristol F....n City, what the F...

What with the Hull fans throwing tennis balls on the pitch.

Someone tell me we wouldn't be so needy if we went up then came down.

Hull kicking off! What the f...

• Haha 1