IGNORED

IMPORTANT - South Stand Display vs Cardiff

James

35 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Shame the club decided to try and tarnish the name of S82 in the Post "we are disappointed..." etc.

Extremely disappointed in Mark Kelly who has always come across as a decent fellow. Leads me to think he was put up to it by somebody a bit higher up the food chain...

The problem is, they all come across as people who might have run a M&S store in the past, not stood on the terraces. 

Their currency is retail statistics, not goals scored.  

It just becomes cringeworthy when they pretend to understand fans. They might understand we want a pie and a pint, but that's just a sideshow. 

Oh, and the hand dryers and water are still cold. 2 years after it was being looked into. That antagonises me, Mr Kelly.  Can I suggest an increase of 75p on season tickets next year. I'm sure that would cover it. 

The amount of hassle a relatively small fan led display creates with this club is amazing.

Celtic fans here are literally dressed in the Irish tricolour ahead of a game vs. Rangers. The most fierce derby in Britain.

The tricolour flag they put up says ‘They Hung Out The Flag Of War’. They get that’s approved and we can’t even get a quick card display which isn’t antagonistic at all. Embarrassing from BCFC.

F3EA3DB3-4ACC-4B91-947D-7F39AF175DEE.jpeg

7 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

The amount of hassle a relatively small fan led display creates with this club is amazing.

Celtic fans here are literally dressed in the Irish tricolour ahead of a game vs. Rangers. The most fierce derby in Britain.

The tricolour flag they put up says ‘They Hung Out The Flag Of War’. They get that’s approved and we can’t even get a quick card display which isn’t antagonistic at all. Embarrassing from BCFC.

F3EA3DB3-4ACC-4B91-947D-7F39AF175DEE.jpeg

I suggest Mr Kelly and Mr Storr sit down before looking at that. 

13 minutes ago, CotswoldRed said:

The problem is, they all come across as people who might have run a M&S store in the past, not stood on the terraces. 

Their currency is retail statistics, not goals scored.  

It just becomes cringeworthy when they pretend to understand fans. They might understand we want a pie and a pint, but that's just a sideshow. 

Oh, and the hand dryers and water are still cold. 2 years after it was being looked into. That antagonises me, Mr Kelly.  Can I suggest an increase of 75p on season tickets next year. I'm sure that would cover it. 

Not far off ....Mr Kelly used to manage certain hotels.......

Whatever the rights and wrongs of the "card display", it is a shambles from start to finish.

Some 3 or 4,000 pieces of card were left by seats. The great majority of those sitting in those seats did not have a clue that the cards were there, at what stage in proceedings they should be held up and most importantly, what message or picture the whole would make. It could have been a funny picture, a political message, obscene, distasteful, insulting to individuals or groups of people.

So I suggest to those who thought of it, before you try anything similar again, that you communicate fully with the club, and all the supporters who are expected to hold up the cards.

4 minutes ago, CotswoldRed said:

I suggest Mr Kelly and Mr Storr sit down before looking at that. 

Haha yes I agree. There are many many examples of far more extravagant and ‘antagonistic’ displays than ours in English football too.

The impression I get, based on putting 2+2 together, is that there are individuals at the club who don’t want S82 at all. They see it as unnecessary and a potential ‘hazard’ because they look at things purely from that perspective. All of this nonsense, and all the extra police in those areas, are just bullyboy tactics from someone on a power trip who is doing all he can to try and erode S82 away.

4 minutes ago, The Horse With No Name said:

Can I just ask one simple question? If this display was not meant to be antagonistic , would you still be so keen on doing it if we had been playing Norwich City for example .

Is an England flag at an England match antagonistic?

It's meant to highlight difference, not necessarily to antagonise. 

And if it antagonises, that ought to be their problem.

Would YOU have a problem with the Welsh flag at their place? I would positively expect it. 

36 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

I doubt tthe club's intention to tarnish them, its more to do with the post's sensational reporting, just read some of the other stories on there like the shocking video of a mass brawl on ashton road thats just not that bad,

What ever (if they even did) say to the post would of been twisted to make the club look bad, it always is, that comes with having a gashead as the chief editor (which in itself explains all the spelling mistakes),

Etherway the club went ott (well head of security did) and should remembrance S82 as a gesture of goodwill, and have a good frank discussion of what they can and can't do in the future, include the EFL and SAG too 

Good post.

Regarding full and frank discussion point, IMO you can add the FA to that too.

FA officer according to Harry's post yesterday was there Saturday, sure they have a say in these things.

39 minutes ago, CotswoldRed said:

Is an England flag at an England match antagonistic?

It's meant to highlight difference, not necessarily to antagonise. 

And if it antagonises, that ought to be their problem.

Would YOU have a problem with the Welsh flag at their place? I would positively expect it. 

Yep. I’d hate to watch football in an environment where everything is uniform and designed so as not to offend. Local and national identity is a massive part of watching football.

2 minutes ago, SonOfDjuric said:

Have you considered holding up a piece of card at the start of a football match, rather than complaining about not doing so?

Without repeating my original post verbatim, the only aspect of this that I'm actually complaining about is that there was no indication of what was happening and when it was going to happen - and once again, that's probably down to the information about the actual content of the display being unclear, which may have been the source of the decision made by the club on Saturday morning.

Tell you what, if you're that concerned by what I think, I'll hold up a piece of card before the Preston game in order to support holding up pieces of card at a football match.

20 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

Whatever the rights and wrongs of the "card display", it is a shambles from start to finish.

Some 3 or 4,000 pieces of card were left by seats. The great majority of those sitting in those seats did not have a clue that the cards were there, at what stage in proceedings they should be held up and most importantly, what message or picture the whole would make. It could have been a funny picture, a political message, obscene, distasteful, insulting to individuals or groups of people.

So I suggest to those who thought of it, before you try anything similar again, that you communicate fully with the club, and all the supporters who are expected to hold up the cards.

I understand that the plan was to communicate with fans before the game when to raise the cards, but because the club changed the display they cancelled that planned communication as it was no longer the display intended.

I'm flabbergasted by this whole episode. 

Some may argue that fans are there simply to support - that is rubbish. 

Every other song is designed to take the piss out of the opposition, mostly with humour and within an environment that accepts it comes back the other way. This is a reasonable extension of that. 

This says more about the club being out of touch and with a lack of understanding than anything about the intent of fans on Saturday. 

27 minutes ago, The Horse With No Name said:

Can I just ask one simple question? If this display was not meant to be antagonistic , would you still be so keen on doing it if we had been playing Norwich City for example .

I guess if it was the nearest match to Rememberance Sunday, yes. Although I can see how displaying an English flag to a Welsh team could be seen as an added 'bonus' perhaps. 

But if the fixture was reversed I would fully expect to be stood in the Cardiff City Stadium facing a Dragon display, and would have respected that too.

I'm quite shocked by the club statement. To actually admit they find the English flag as something capable of offence or antagonism is a shocking admission and most ironically of all flies in the face of the right to nationalism and self-determination that many of those who fell did so for. In trying to show respect they've shown utter disrespect. Those who made the call should hang their heads in shame.

2 minutes ago, 29AR said:

I'm quite shocked by the club statement. To actually admit they find the English flag as something capable of offence or antagonism is a shocking admission and most ironically of all flies in the face of the right to nationalism and self-determination that many of those who fell did so for. In trying to show respect they've shown utter disrespect. Those who made the call should hang their heads in shame.

is it an official club statement?, the last one on our website is about baily wright,

I don't see it as a club statement I see it as the post stirring the shit again,  when we had the ultra flag gate thing, we had an official club statement then if I recall,

Perhaps @AdamB could clear that up 

11 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

next time we play them at home can we put cards out that when raised show's scotty cupping his ear,

Everyone wins then

Hugely hypocritical of the club to post and actively support the Flint cupping ear shot then if they can’t accept a St. George’s Cross because it’s ‘antagonistic’ to Cardiff fans - they’ve posted that image on their official Twitter, Facebook and Instagram accounts as below.

That image of Murray is so famous because it was such an audacious gesture, one of the most antagonistic acts a player has done at Ninnian Park which was designed purely to wind up the Cardiff fans.

The hypocrisy is amazing.

89EE343F-3677-45F7-B79C-8142B61C7914.jpeg

A305ED5A-D86A-49A7-8AED-4D5C8F3C8206.jpeg

514D36B9-E971-4F00-A210-2EE539BB5583.jpeg

1 minute ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Hugely hypocritical of the club to post and actively support the Flint cupping ear shot then if the can’t accept a St. George’s Cross.

That image of Murray is so famous because it was such an audacious gesture, one of the most antagonistic acts a player has done at Ninnian Park which was designed purely to wind up the Cardiff fans.

The hypocrisy is amazing.

indeed, but it would appease sag and the FA as they wouldn't have a scooby about it and what it meant, 

7 minutes ago, ZiderEyed said:

Think someone said earlier in this thread but this is exactly why people find themselves leaning towards more extreme politics. 

It’s also reasons why such people like Britain first have followers too.

you can see it on their site “English football club banned St. George’s Cross as not to offend immigrants” 

21 minutes ago, 29AR said:

It's this culture of being offended on behalf of other people that I can't stand. Cardiff fans must get anti-Welsh abuse everywhere they go and I'd imagine they are made of slightly sterner stuff than to be offended by a card display showing the flag of St George.

On that note, I was offended on behalf of all Welsh people that were offended by Cardiff City fans chanting 'sheep sheep sheep sh@ggers' at Saturday's game.

6 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

It's this culture of being offended on behalf of other people that I can't stand. Cardiff fans must get anti-Welsh abuse everywhere they go and I'd imagine they are made of slightly sterner stuff than to be offended by a card display showing the flag of St George.

On that note, I was offended on behalf of all Welsh people that were offended by Cardiff City fans chanting 'sheep sheep sheep sh@ggers' at Saturday's game.

Don't worry, i've already been offended on your behalf.

3 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

image.png.eb5ff97b8fd2933b5c333e790cd31a53.png

@mkelly questions need to be asked as to who sanctioned the Murray footage...

It's inconsistencies like this that indicate to me it wasn't just about being 'antagonistic' - it's a certain member or members of staff who are on a power trip to make S82's lives difficult because they don't like them being there. They don't like things being done without their input or complete approval and want total control over every aspect.

If the club were that concerned about 'antagonising' the Cardiff fans, we'd never use Murray cupping imagery through official channels or allow that surfer flag (which I'm sure we've used at games vs Cardiff before) to be displayed.

Archived