IGNORED

Bob Taylor interview on local radio

Never to the dark side

44 minutes ago, Red Right Hand said:

Another game like Swansea where the post match walk back to the car was `interesting`!

Anyone remember the police helicopter complete with searchlight?

Yep, we were kept in for ages after the game if I remember rightly.....but I do recall the helicopter and the very interesting walk out of the ground!

On 12/5/2017 at 01:48, TRL said:

Unfortunately Bob was all or nothing. When his confidence went his whole game went.  For some reason he just could not re-discover his form. In hindsight we should have stuck with him, but at the time he had not proved he could cut it at a higher level In a season and a half and before hand at Leeds.

Obviously the wrong decision but I am guessing when you are looking for money to purchase the Polish George Best (some think a great player some think massive waste of time) a snap decision is made.

For me Bob on form had no equal in my time going to the gate, but Bob off form was Brian Mitchellesque.

Still my hero though and wish we had kept him.

I didn't realize that Bob was sold to finance the Jacki move - my memory is blurred, but I thought Jimmy Lumsden sold Bob, and that Dennis Smith bought in Jacki a few months later. Christ, seems like a lifetime ago!! 

On ‎04‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 22:31, BS4 on Tour... said:

Well, sad old git as I am, just did a bit of research and found the whole game (in crap quality!) - if you’ve got an hour and a half to spare have a peek below....that was when St Andrews was a proper old school, initimidating place to visit....and the scorers were Taylor 2, Turner and Shelton....I remember Dave Rennie having a stormer though...

I think this win took us top until you know what happened. I like the bit about a minute in, where commentator talks about the massive following from the south coast!

On 04/12/2017 at 20:17, sticks 1969 said:

Funny how that 89/90 season always gets talked about the most on this forum and brings back so many good memorys for so many people 

It sparked my absolute hatred of the Gas. They were bad enough in 1982, but they absolutely revelled in beating us to the title as injuries caught up with us. We led pretty much the entire season from start to finish and lost the title in a defeat to the squatters at Trumpton. Not content with celebrating their own success they tried to totally rub our faces in it and went on and on about it forever and a day becoming really nauseating ***** in the process.

We were ecstatic about going up as it was a continuation of the Phoenix rising from the flames. Unfortunate that those pricks from down the road tried to ruin the party, but as we know they are complete ******* and the sooner their pitiful club dies the better.

Joe Jordan leaving City the first time round was a massive mistake. He wanted the Scotland job (**** me, no**** wants the Scotland job these days!!!!), but we were onto something good at Ashton Gate and we had potential to get better. 

We finished 5th in our first season back in what is now the Championship, and I strongly believe that if Joe had stayed at the helm we might have done even better than that. There was a feel good factor around the club like you wouldn't believe back then, and that is why season 89/90 is talked about so much.

4 hours ago, CyderInACan said:

@Cheesleysmate fast forward to 2017 though and enjoy that season for what it was, a joyful time and one of the best City sides in our history. The sags have nothing to crow about nowadays that's for sure. It's certainly not a great time to be one of the few. 

I hope you mean 2015? I thoroughly enjoyed that year and although 25 years late milked the feeling of being Champions. Spoiled though locally by an Open Top Bus Tour by the Sags who finished Non-League Runners Up....What made this even more bizarre was Barnet who actually finished Champions of the Conference didn't have an open top bus tour! We did though because we were also Champions, so no idea why the Sags bothered? Probably solely because of their obsession with us?!

4 hours ago, Cheesleysmate said:

It sparked my absolute hatred of the Gas. They were bad enough in 1982, but they absolutely revelled in beating us to the title as injuries caught up with us. We led pretty much the entire season from start to finish and lost the title in a defeat to the squatters at Trumpton. Not content with celebrating their own success they tried to totally rub our faces in it and went on and on about it forever and a day becoming really nauseating ***** in the process.

We were ecstatic about going up as it was a continuation of the Phoenix rising from the flames. Unfortunate that those pricks from down the road tried to ruin the party, but as we know they are complete ******* and the sooner their pitiful club dies the better.

Joe Jordan leaving City the first time round was a massive mistake. He wanted the Scotland job (**** me, no**** wants the Scotland job these days!!!!), but we were onto something good at Ashton Gate and we had potential to get better. 

We finished 5th in our first season back in what is now the Championship, and I strongly believe that if Joe had stayed at the helm we might have done even better than that. There was a feel good factor around the club like you wouldn't believe back then, and that is why season 89/90 is talked about so much.

We finished 9th in 90/91, Cheese. But, if we had won that last game at Watford, we would've finished 5th I think. @GrahamC will be along to confirm/furiously rubbish that, later.

If Joe had stayed, we'd have.........

1 hour ago, Cheesleysmate said:

I hope you mean 2015? I thoroughly enjoyed that year and although 25 years late milked the feeling of being Champions. Spoiled though locally by an Open Top Bus Tour by the Sags who finished Non-League Runners Up....What made this even more bizarre was Barnet who actually finished Champions of the Conference didn't have an open top bus tour! We did though because we were also Champions, so no idea why the Sags bothered? Probably solely because of their obsession with us?!

No I meant now we can reflect on what a great season 89/90 was. Ignore the sags, they just don;t count any more!

27 minutes ago, Jack Dawe said:

We finished 9th in 90/91, Cheese. But, if we had won that last game at Watford, we would've finished 5th I think. @GrahamC will be along to confirm/furiously rubbish that, later.

If Joe had stayed, we'd have.........

Looking at the league table it appears the highest we could have finished was 6th..

What was the score? I remember the 5-2 defeat when we had three sent off but as Andy Cole scored our two goals that was later on..

Archived