IGNORED

Another loft find today.....

Maesknoll Red

Some wonderful memories of the names in those two teamsheets, especially the Wolves trainer, Sammy Chung, at a time when 'foreigners' in such positions were far and few between.

Incidentally, and I know I could probably look it up on the Internet, was Jim McCalliog the Sheffield Wednesday player in what I shall always remember as the Mike Trebilcock Everton/SW 1966 FA Cup Final?

42 minutes ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

Some wonderful memories of the names in those two teamsheets, especially the Wolves trainer, Sammy Chung, at a time when 'foreigners' in such positions were far and few between.

Incidentally, and I know I could probably look it up on the Internet, was Jim McCalliog the Sheffield Wednesday player in what I shall always remember as the Mike Trebilcock Everton/SW 1966 FA Cup Final?

Yes.

43 minutes ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

Some terrific players in that Wolves squad, including the one and only Doog, who was also an intelligent and articulate pundit. No 'he'll be disappointed with that Gary' masquerading as informed comment from him.

20 minutes ago, chinapig said:

Some terrific players in that Wolves squad, including the one and only Doog, who was also an intelligent and articulate pundit. No 'he'll be disappointed with that Gary' masquerading as informed comment from him.

Indeed, although missing from the team sheet that day was the great Peter Knowles, who left football to become a Jehovah's Witness.

Each to their own, and all that, but what a loss to the game.

When was that game please? Looking down the list pf players, no Kellard or Sharpe, but the two loanees Wilson and Hill are there; early 1971?

Did either of the two linesmen progress to become top flight refs? I can't say i recall their names on any televised game. Being local i realise they couldn't officiate City games other than friendlies etc.

3 minutes ago, 22A said:

When was that game please? Looking down the list pf players, no Kellard or Sharpe, but the two loanees Wilson and Hill are there; early 1971?

Did either of the two linesmen progress to become top flight refs? I can't say i recall their names on any televised game. Being local i realise they couldn't officiate City games other than friendlies etc.

Yes. I have a vivid memory of beating Luton, who had Malcolm MacDonald and Viv Busby up front, 3-2 after being 2-0 down at half time. Wilson and Hill both played.

44 minutes ago, 22A said:

They used to trot out Washer for friendlys and Glos Cup. His fellow lino was usually a guy called George Isom. 

3 hours ago, chinapig said:

He asked me for directions to the County Hotel in Taunton once. I was walking through town and a car pulled up and the window opened and it was him on his way to some sporting dinner or something.

Archived