IGNORED

Article on Holden - what a great man

AshtonPark

I had a really good natter with him last week at CHSW.

He was fairly new to the club, when he attended last year, but had a great memory, instantly chatting to Joe with "I met you last year, it’s Joe isn’t it, my lad is Joe too", etc.  To another family "your missus is a scouser isn’t she".  He was interested in the people there, that’s what struck me.  Without being critical of professional footballer’s it’s not easy to strike up conversations with them, it’s a bit unnatural situation, but Holden (and LJ to be fair - didn’t chat to Macca) was different.  Not afraid to talk about difficult things, the taboo questions.  I came away with a lot of admiration for him, especially after what I’d heard the previous evening on Twentyman.

There are real people behind these "footballing heroes".

Reminded me a bit of the Julia Roberts scene in Notting Hill, when trying to tell Hugh Grant that behind the movie-star, there’s a girl asking a bloke out, and it’s not easy.

F43E8352-C05E-4D84-91BE-F0AA55502BCB.jpeg

To think that the majority of us when he came in and we had this bad run - wanted him gone as well as Johnson. Since the disruptive 2 have left we’ve got to see his real character and I must say he has always come across as a good honest hard working individual and is a huge part of the success we are having. Humbling to know that in LJ, DH and JM we have 3 young coaches who truly love the game and our doing their best to give the club what we desire.

33 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I had a really good natter with him last week at CHSW.

He was fairly new to the club, when he attended last year, but had a great memory, instantly chatting to Joe with "I met you last year, it’s Joe isn’t it, my lad is Joe too", etc.  To another family "your missus is a scouser isn’t she".  He was interested in the people there, that’s what struck me.  Without being critical of professional footballer’s it’s not easy to strike up conversations with them, it’s a bit unnatural situation, but Holden (and LJ to be fair - didn’t chat to Macca) was different.  Not afraid to talk about difficult things, the taboo questions.  I came away with a lot of admiration for him, especially after what I’d heard the previous evening on Twentyman.

There are real people behind these "footballing heroes".

Reminded me a bit of the Julia Roberts scene in Notting Hill, when trying to tell Hugh Grant that behind the movie-star, there’s a girl asking a bloke out, and it’s not easy.

F43E8352-C05E-4D84-91BE-F0AA55502BCB.jpeg

Everything I've read and heard about DH in the last couple of weeks suggests that  aside from football he is an absolute credit to BCFC and all the club stands for. Great to hear that your personal story backs this up. Makes me even prouder to be a city fan  hearing about things like this. 

I have a tear in my eye reading that. 

He is part of the catalyst of change for our football club. 

I wanna hug the bloke!!

This football club had so much goodness right now... I don't care what league we play in.

Love this group of players. Love this club. 

Everything right off the pitch.... Is making everything right on the pitch. 

Stevo 

5 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

Has someone thought about getting in touch with Downsy or whoever else necessary to maybe they something sorted over the tannoy so we could all pay our respects? Would be a genuine classy touch. 

Nice thoughts 86 but everyone is different and it might be something he wouldn't want for whatever reason 

(Not saying that is the case)

But it would need to be something that DH & his wife agreed to rather than have it sprung on them 

As I say, nice thought / idea though :thumbsup:

This was mentioned (by @Kid in the Riot I think) in a previous thread a few months ago. 

His story is a powerful one and the humility he shows is a credit to him and all of his family. Never underestimate how much tragedy can change your outlook on life. This bloke can have a huge impact on our club and we must thank him for that. 

I thought he was great on the 20 pence show recently. He has been through the mill personally and he is helping other people in a similar situation as well as being part of the team that has turned round be the fortunes of the playing side of the club.

How fickle we are though as fans....only last season there were some asking "Who the **** is he?", "It's Holden's fault and he should go with Johnson and Ashton"!

Now we are winning games he is now being mentioned with affection. Just saying....

Lee, Jamie and Dean really work well together and long may it continue. I remember reading about his family tragedy previously and I really don’t know how people get over something like that, I don’t think you do but cope on a daily basis. It sounds like he has got positive memories of her and the family have a healthy way of including her in their lives. I’ve heard a few things about him and believe he is one of the good guys and very popular.

5 hours ago, Cheesleysmate said:

I thought he was great on the 20 pence show recently. He has been through the mill personally and he is helping other people in a similar situation as well as being part of the team that has turned round be the fortunes of the playing side of the club.

How fickle we are though as fans....only last season there were some asking "Who the **** is he?", "It's Holden's fault and he should go with Johnson and Ashton"!

Now we are winning games he is now being mentioned with affection. Just saying....

One thing that jumped out at me was his comment about the players being ‘humans’. 

I think the fans forget too often that the players and also the management are human.

I’m not saying being a good human makes you a successful manager, but when many many on here were constantly personally attacking LJ and DH and the rest, asking what does SL see that we don’t see. Well perhaps he saw things like this, that we have some great ‘humans’ at the club, giving their all for the club and that was worth sticking by.

On a day like today, thank goodness they did.

I saved this earlier, intending to post something humorous/sarcastic on the match day thread about Dean Holden being a plastic Manchester United fan.

'When Bristol City were paired with holders Manchester United in Wednesday's League Cup quarter-final tie, assistant head coach Dean Holden went to manager Lee Johnson.

“Can I have the night off and go in the away end?” he asked, half joking.

Holden, 38, a journeyman professional footballer before turning coach is a long-time United fan from Salford.'

I have now read the article in its entirety and, with a lump in my throat and tears in my eyes, humour and certainly sarcasm are far from my thoughts.

I think sympathy or even humility might be the word I was looking for.

Archived