IGNORED

Vauxhall Astra - Damage

Full nelson

2 minutes ago, reddoh said:

but what if its your pride and joy :dunno:

If not, minor damage can write a car off nowadays. I would be very annoyed that I have to sacrifice NCB and higher premiums because of someone else not leaving details. 

I skidded on ice this time last year in the early morning and hit someone’s parked car, little damage, felt like a dick waking the owner up as had no pen/paper etc. But they were grateful I had as they would’ve been out of pocket otherwise and i just paid for the repairs. Only £85 to repair the paintwork all parties happy (I was annoyed with myself as I had a go at the other half for not taking care on the icy roads the day before :facepalm:)

3 hours ago, Full nelson said:

Well this is what I thought!! I spoke with Avon and Somerset police this evening and only the driver can be prosecuted if the owner of the car comes forward!! So looks like the driver will get away with it even though I witnessed this happen and have 4 more witnesses the law states , members of the public can’t do anything to bring justice as it’s not my property. 

That is complete and utter nonsense (What you’ve been told) 

They have a duty to investigate and not too hard to trace the aggreived party, about 20secs on Police National Computer  (The owner of the damaged car) (I am assuming you had the Reg of the car that was hit)

Disgraceful , don’t let them get away with sheer and utter idleness

Id make a complaint about whoever told you this personally

2 minutes ago, You Do The Dziekanowski said:

If not, minor damage can write a car off nowadays. I would be very annoyed that I have to sacrifice NCB and higher premiums because of someone else not leaving details. 

I skidded on ice this time last year in the early morning and hit someone’s parked car, little damage, felt like a dick waking the owner up as had no pen/paper etc. But they were grateful I had as they would’ve been out of pocket otherwise and i just paid for the repairs. Only £85 to repair the paintwork all parties happy (I was annoyed with myself as I had a go at the other half for not taking care on the icy roads the day before :facepalm:)

always believe if you f up own up, you were lucky and have a great New Year.

PS the wife was still wrong the day before yours was just bad luck :whistle:

6 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

They have a duty to investigate and not too hard to trace the aggreived party (The owner of the damaged car) 

I’d call the police on them to be fair.

:shifty:

5 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

They have a duty to investigate and not too hard to trace the aggreived party (The owner of the damaged car) 

They can't do investigations ...It takes up to much resources ... They got easier targets like motorist to nick

35 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

They have a duty to investigate and not too hard to trace the aggreived party, about 20secs on Police National Computer  (The owner of the damaged car) (I am assuming you had the Reg of the car that was hit)

Id make a complaint about whoever told you this personally

Was thinking the same, it’s not like that for other crimes so why this one?

**** it, I would get in trouble if I kept shut over a murder I saw just because the guy who died wasn’t a pissing relative or friend. They will easily be able to find the driver through the DVLA database.

hopefully our resident rozzers can help, @Fordy62 @JulieH

54 minutes ago, reddoh said:

but what if its your pride and joy :dunno:

Those days are gone, cars are like washing machines to buy now, a dull, expensive, but necessary purchase.

You can’t drive it fast (unless on a race day) your kids/grandkids/dogs will vomit all over it and some idiot will crash a trolley into it in Waitrose.  

Unless you have off-road parking and never leave it anywhere all you’ll ever do is worry about it, be free and treat it like you would buying a new kettle.

Edit: I did many moons ago work in the motor trade and when you see what money pits they are you realise that who cares, you could drive down any street in a 90k Range Rover and no one would even notice nowadays.

1 hour ago, RedM said:

I meant more the fact that if I was the owner and returned to the car and found it damaged and there wasn’t a note left or anything indicating admission or witness’s details I probably would feel there was no hope going to the police. Maybe there is, but the owner has to report it and the police might say ‘ah yes we know about this’ , or ‘someone came in earlier to report this but as they weren’t the owner we didn’t bother taking their details and sent them away’ 

Which scenario seems ass backwards to you? 

I would have left a note but it was raining 

8 hours ago, You Do The Dziekanowski said:

Was thinking the same, it’s not like that for other crimes so why this one?

**** it, I would get in trouble if I kept shut over a murder I saw just because the guy who died wasn’t a pissing relative or friend. They will easily be able to find the driver through the DVLA database.

hopefully our resident rozzers can help, @Fordy62 @JulieH

Evening all. 

Its been a long while since I investigated anything in the road traffic act I’m afraid, but I can give it a go...

i suppose the chasing up of an injured party relies on the details kept on PNC being correct. You’d be surprised how many people don’t keep the DVLA informed. 

Secondly, we’re talking the lowest of the low offences here. In reality if you try to get hold of an IP and they’re not home - how long do you keep trying? The reality is that five to ten years ago this sort of thing would have been investigated, nowadays it’s probably done by an officer in an office carrying a long term injury - looking at all like offences across Avon & Somerset. There just isn’t the staffing levels there used to be and something had to give. A lot of things are dealt with over the phone nowadays that used to have an office attend. We (WMP) are getting pretty close to dealing with domestic burglaries over the phone (a disgrace in my opinion). 

So there you go. Things can’t be investigated to the nth degree like they used to. Sad. But true. 

11 hours ago, Threshing Red said:

Had a scary moment on black ice in barrow gurney how i avoided 2 oncoming cars i just don't know. Just managed to avoid them and hit the road side curb. I must admit it scared the shit out of me

Had that yesterday in Nibley Lane in Yate - scary isn’t it 

16 hours ago, Full nelson said:

Feel free to move topic but the above car was parked on Durnford St and was hit by another car. If this car was yours please DM me as I have the the drivers reg who drove off even though he acknowledged he hit the car. 

Will they be there for tomorrow's game ?  Look out for the car and see if you can get their details .

15 hours ago, You Do The Dziekanowski said:

As it is to flee a scene of the accident without the intention of reporting I believe. 

A nice fine and 6 points (varies on previous) will await said driver

Good luck.

The same happened to us just prior to Christmas. Went to the police the vehicle was uninsured but the police said they don't really have te resource to follow these crime ups, take it up with the insurance company.

I politely enquired if they could supply me with a list of other crimes that they no longer have the resource to follow up. Just for information purposes obviously.

Since the police seem to be too under resourced to investigate crimes, how is it that i regularly see incidents attended by 3 or 4 units where one would be clearly sufficient.

Under resourcing may be an issue, but red tape and disorganisation is a bigger problem.

The more that criminals realise that they are likely to get away with it, the more crime there is likely to be leading to even more under resourcing.  Crime pays for many.

A clamp down on crime now will lead to less crime in the future and less resource issues unless of course we continue to import it.

• Admin
17 hours ago, You Do The Dziekanowski said:

As it is to flee a scene of the accident without the intention of reporting I believe. 

A nice fine and 6 points (varies on previous) will await said driver

I know of an incident (not me as I don't drive) of this happening the person received 9 points, £195 costs and 100 hours community service

7 hours ago, wendyredredrobin said:

Since the police seem to be too under resourced to investigate crimes, how is it that i regularly see incidents attended by 3 or 4 units where one would be clearly sufficient.

Under resourcing may be an issue, but red tape and disorganisation is a bigger problem.

The more that criminals realise that they are likely to get away with it, the more crime there is likely to be leading to even more under resourcing.  Crime pays for many.

A clamp down on crime now will lead to less crime in the future and less resource issues unless of course we continue to import it.

And why were about 50 of Avon & Somerset`s finest complete with horses and dog units at AG on Boxing Day for the visit of that notoriously violent firm, Reading?

I couldn`t believe how many coppers were around in the park and along Ashton Road - nowt to do with bank holiday overtime I`m sure.:whistle:

Archived