IGNORED

LJs Fault

Langford Red

2 key decisions I felt LJ got wrong, Flint should have gone back to CB when we were 1-0 up, in the first half Wolves didn't have many great chances and we negated them well while still looking dangerous ourselves. 

Secondly I think taking Paterson off when Fielding was red carded was the wrong choice, I think Magnússon should have gone off with Bryan slotting in at left back. With Reid alone upfront we had no real link between the him and the rest, it seemed like balls lumped in hope. Should have gone to back 4, Pack, Smith and Brownhill as a midfield three and Paterson in behind Reid to act as a linking player. 

Just now, AppyDAZE said:

A well known rule of thumb: If youre the keeper and you go for it, you have to win it or you've ballsed up. The guy could've shoot wide, anything.

Agreed - it looked as though Fielding had committed knowing he was the last man between Doherty and an open goal.  From the angle i was sat in (need to see a replay) Doherty looked to have rounded him and would have had an open goal if Fielding hadn't taken his legs away.  Having said that - had Fielding not committed the foul and they scored i still think we'd have had a better chance to grab a second with 11 men.

2 minutes ago, hodge said:

2 key decisions I felt LJ got wrong, Flint should have gone back to CB when we were 1-0 up, in the first half Wolves didn't have many great chances and we negated them well while still looking dangerous ourselves. 

Secondly I think taking Paterson off when Fielding was red carded was the wrong choice, I think Magnússon should have gone off with Bryan slotting in at left back. With Reid alone upfront we had no real link between the him and the rest, it seemed like balls lumped in hope. Should have gone to back 4, Pack, Smith and Brownhill as a midfield three and Paterson in behind Reid to act as a linking player. 

Think he needed to protect Patto - (From further injury issue) he wasn’t at full throttle and clearly not %100 (Was still bloody excellent though)

4 minutes ago, Loco Rojo said:

Agreed - it looked as though Fielding had committed knowing he was the last man between Doherty and an open goal.  From the angle i was sat in (need to see a replay) Doherty looked to have rounded him and would have had an open goal if Fielding hadn't taken his legs away.  Having said that - had Fielding not committed the foul and they scored i still think we'd have had a better chance to grab a second with 11 men.

I've not seen it again (not too keen, :laugh:) but from what I rememeber, the bloke's got the better of Magners and is pretty much through on goal BUT if Frankie is not out of his box the guy has to decide whether to shoot, round him etc etc   so although a goal is likely  clearly better than getting yourself sent off  cos you just cant win that ball. Bad judgment from FF for me

I'm inclined agree that we should have shown a very good team a bit more respect. Winning and against 10 men I think it was a bit premature to be putting Flint up front and we got caught with our trousers down. Also Pack should have made that ball fly out. 

Wolves are a very good side, but we had them where we wanted them and threw it away. It was so disappointing because it was all preventable. Never mind though, we're still third and as good as anyone else. Just keep going and I think we can get second spot.

Flint shouldn't have been up there in the first place in my opinion. We looked entirely comfortable , had 45 mins to break them down. He's not a striker , contributed nothing up front and the whole team looked confused and lost it's shape. 1-0 down with 5 to go maybe. 

Disappointing to lose, but not the end of the world. The unwelcome hurt may eventually do us good, as long as we learn from our mistakes.

We were up against a top-quality side (a team that cost a lot more dosh than ours) - and it was a pretty even game. Unfortunately. the luck didn't go our way this time.

The lads have done great so far, but several are running on empty or carrying knocks. We simply don't have a strong enough squad (whereas Wolves do).

I imagine Johnson, Ashton & Co know the players we need to bring in and Steve Lansdown knows how much he is wiling to fork out for them.

The sooner we get these deals done the better.

I hope the second part of the season is as good as the first.

2 minutes ago, reddoc said:

Flint shouldn't have been up there in the first place in my opinion. We looked entirely comfortable , had 45 mins to break them down. He's not a striker , contributed nothing up front and the whole team looked confused and lost it's shape. 1-0 down with 5 to go maybe. 

Strongly disagree - at times they had two marking him and his presence alone  created space for others - a couple of nice flicks too

45 minutes ago, RedDave said:

Well he was out of position granted!  

Both him and Wright were still practically playing as full backs. It was like Pack was supposed to drop back in when required to make up the numbers.

At the end of the day still drop Flint back and play with as many at the back as possible if it sees the game out.

3 minutes ago, AppyDAZE said:

I've not seen it again (not too keen, :laugh:) but from what I rememeber, the bloke's got the better of Magners and is pretty much through on goal BUT if Frankie is not out of his box the guy has to decide whether to shoot, round him etc etc   so although a goal is likely  clearly better than getting yourself sent off  cos you just cant win that ball. Bad judgment from FF for me

Haha - I know what you mean.

I'm going with Mags on this one (again, not saying he's a bad player though) - it happened so fast but had Doherty been picked up at the start or 'removed' as an option of someone to pass to i don't think it would have got to the point of Fielding needing to rushing out. (although he should have made a better decision than to rush out like that and by then it was too late to back out of).

1 minute ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Strongly disagree - at times they had two marking him and his presence alone  created space for others - a couple of nice flicks too

Hmmm , ok , Woodrow would have created the same problems for them and technically is classed as a striker. Flints a very good defender that chips in with the odd goal. Gotta confess was surprised we didn't put him in goal when Fielding was sent off, not sure why we bother with a bench.

16 minutes ago, reddoc said:

That was my half-time view....okay the patient game.  Might’ve ended 0-0.  Think LJ thought even against 10, we’d need a goal, as Wolves would fashion a chance or two...so he went for it.  Super goal too.

14 minutes ago, AppyDAZE said:

If you're a keeper and you leave your box, you win the ball or you've got it wrong. How can that not be the case? That said, i like Frankie (other than his often annoying kicking) and these things happen.  We move on

I’d have rather Frankie wait on his penalty spot and make Doherty (a non-striker) do the hard work of scoring.  No guarantee.  I dislike it when keeper’s make the opponent’s decision for him.  Who knows, his next touch might’ve been awful.

4 minutes ago, reddoc said:

Hmmm , ok , Woodrow would have created the same problems for them and technically is classed as a striker. Flints a very good defender that chips in with the odd goal. Gotta confess was surprised we didn't put him in goal when Fielding was sent off, not sure why we bother with a bench.

But Flints value and what upset them was his physical presence and aerial threat -something Woodrow doesn’t offer - they’d coped with BR /JP with relative comfort so what would Woodrow have added that they didn’t ?

I watched Flint careefullly when he went up top -dfascinated to see what he did and he did well for me -his movement was good -constantly getting himself far post for the diagonal ball - they were certainly far less comfortable when he was up top

1 minute ago, Davefevs said:

That was my half-time view....okay the patient game.  Might’ve ended 0-0.  Think LJ thought even against 10, we’d need a goal, as Wolves would fashion a chance or two...so he went for it.  Super goal too.

I’d have rather Frankie wait on his penalty spot and make Doherty (a non-striker) do the hard work of scoring.  No guarantee.  I didlike it when keeper’s make the opponent’s decision for him.  Who knows, his next touch might’ve been awful.

Exactly. Poor, poor decision

4 minutes ago, reddoc said:

By playing Flint up top we caused them all sorts of headaches and they had to drop another player back pretty much stopping them play at all.  To bring Woodrow on wed have had to loose someone else - it wouldn’t have worked as well 

12 minutes ago, AppyDAZE said:

If you're a keeper and you leave your box, you win the ball or you've got it wrong. How can that not be the case? That said, i like Frankie (other than his often annoying kicking) and these things happen.  We move on

Precisely. Simply put and 100% right. If you don’t get the ball you've made the wrong call. 

13 minutes ago, reddoc said:

Disagree with this, they put 2 men on him straight away, which is what created the space to score the goal

1 hour ago, Bicester Red said:

Yes Pack scored own goal then gave ball away

Should have been in row Z

But at 1 - 0 He should have reverted Flint back and killed game, Fielding would not have been put in that position

But LJ knows better best, even though I said this at 1 - 0!

Definite pen hand ball to us 

How long have you been waiting to post something like this fella?

1 hour ago, Fordy62 said:

Frankie took one for the team. He was going to score.

rather be 1 all with a man advantage.

I think we just went for it and wolves had a bit more luck than we did, we gave away 3 free kicks around our box, scored 2 and hit the post with the other, a loss at villa will be a much bigger disaster.

2 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

But Flints value and what upset them was his physical presence and aerial threat -something Woodrow doesn’t offer - they’d coped with BR /JP with relative comfort somwhwt would Woodrow have added that they didn’t ?

I watched Flint careefullly when he epwent up top -fascinat3d to see what he did and he did well for me -constantly getting himself far post for the diagonal ball - they were certainly far less comfortable when he was up top

Fair enough, but personally I think he usually plays centre back for a reason. I still maintain we lost our shape and fluidity when we stuck him up there. Mags , Baker and Wright looked as uncomfortable as you suggest their back line did, and we did that for them. Even with ten men they suddenly looked far more threatening.

To keep it brief, Flint should have moved back* Frankie looks vulnerable without him. Frankie might then never have been dismissed. We might not have to have sacrificed Paterson so early, without him the movement stopped.

*Flintvwas moved forward too early in the game IMO. #Hindsight

1 hour ago, Flounder said:

The game should have been out of sight at half time. The TEAM failed to break down a side with 10 men. The second half should have been of no concern. 

Unfortunately Wolves have very good players and reorganised very well after their sending off. We were playing well while they had 11 men on the pitch, and i think they decided to ensure they did not lose, and with their quality off players did that very well.

By the time Frankie got sent off, they were settled into their 10 man formation, but we never seemed to adapt, allied to the fact that Wolves equalised immediately from the free kick, so could then see they were in with a chance.

We didn't disgrace ourselves but at 10 v 10 I think our injuries and recent games started to catch up and we seemed to visibly tire and for there last quarter they were able to open us up , especially when they are able to bring Carvalio on as a sub!

P.S. I do think it was a mistake to leave Flint up front after we went ahead, but perhaps LJ should have put Taylor on to help keep the ball at their end.

29 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Think he needed to protect Patto - (From further injury issue) he wasn’t at full throttle and clearly not %100 (Was still bloody excellent though)

Maybe, but we needed someone to be that link between our midfield and Bobby as he was completely isolated after frankie's red. 

12 minutes ago, Tomarse said:

By playing Flint up top we caused them all sorts of headaches and they had to drop another player back pretty much stopping them play at all.  To bring Woodrow on wed have had to loose someone else - it wouldn’t have worked as well 

Could be right Tom, all a matter of opinion, I'm just not a big fan of playing players out of position, especially when it leaves us exposed at the back, as it undoubtedly did. Bottom line is we played for 50 mins with an extra man and lost. I don't think we'd have lost the game if we'd kept a solid back line. I think if we'd carried on playing as we did in the first half we'd have finished with 11 men, and would probably have eventually made the breakthough. Who knows?

Archived