IGNORED

LJs Fault

Langford Red

42 minutes ago, hodge said:

2 key decisions I felt LJ got wrong, Flint should have gone back to CB when we were 1-0 up, in the first half Wolves didn't have many great chances and we negated them well while still looking dangerous ourselves. 

Secondly I think taking Paterson off when Fielding was red carded was the wrong choice, I think Magnússon should have gone off with Bryan slotting in at left back. With Reid alone upfront we had no real link between the him and the rest, it seemed like balls lumped in hope. Should have gone to back 4, Pack, Smith and Brownhill as a midfield three and Paterson in behind Reid to act as a linking player. 

Agree but the hamstring problems might have contributed. I know it isn’t a great excuse but I thought it at the time myself. Possibly didn’t want to push him too hard. I think I’d have brought Woodrow on for Pato and have Reid the link. 

Frankie . Pack . Baker 

All made mistakes that where punished by the best team in this league . They have terrific spending power and that extra quality showed . I’m very proud of the boys and we’ve come along way . Like to see things freshened up next year starting at Villa. 

1 hour ago, Esmond Million's Bung said:

Wasn't it you last season who made some comment claiming that Dopey was a better manager than LJ and you were glad you had him as your manager?.

Is that still the case?.

I don't think so no. Mind you,  if you had asked the question who was the better manager on this forum this time last year, I think 'Dopey' might have polled quite high :)

1 hour ago, Numero Uno said:

Mistakes were made by us today and it is frustrating to lose but I’ll sleep soundly knowing we scored a goal tonight, the quality of which your rag assed collection won’t manage in the next ten seasons!!!

On a serious note we are being a bit spoiled taking football like that for granted and need to avoid the complete meltdown should Monday not go to plan!! This is light years ahead of last season and many before it; win, lose or draw.

Which was kind of my point :)

Have not read through all of the comments, so might of been mentioned. First goal, Wright is 10 yards behind the defensive line. Playing their man on after neither Magnússon or Bryan press. Then for the second goal, Wright should of played a simple ball into the corner. He didn’t, they broke & got the free kick. But ultimately we went toe to toe with the best team in the league, who have spent some major money. COYR 

Absolutely not Johnson's fault. We came in at half time having played very decently against the far-away league leaders (at both 10 and 11 men), and then we came out as the utterly dominant team. Tactics were spot on after the break.

Problems then come from individual errors. Maggy being left out of position, forcing Frankie into an ultimately fatal decision (can't blame him too much, it was instinctive but the wrong decision), and a lack of a clearance from Marlon Pack at the end. We caused our own undoing tonight, but that will come with a young team based on so much potential. Obviously we weren't to know it, but we'd have been better off letting them score and staying 11 v 10.

I'm really not worried, it was caused by mistakes which we can easily learn from. The worst would be if we'd been outplayed or tactically outclassed, which didn't happen. Just mistakes which haven't been too regular anyway.

1 minute ago, nebristolred said:

Absolutely not Johnson's fault. We came in at half time having played very decently against the far-away league leaders (at both 10 and 11 men), and then we came out as the utterly dominant team. Tactics were spot on after the break.

Problems then come from individual errors. Maggy being left out of position, forcing Frankie into an ultimately fatal decision (can't blame him too much, it was instinctive but the wrong decision), and a lack of a clearance from Marlon Pack at the end. We caused our own undoing tonight, but that will come with a young team based on so much potential. Obviously we weren't to know it, but we'd have been better off letting them score and staying 11 v 10.

I'm really not worried, it was caused by mistakes which we can easily learn from. The worst would be if we'd been outplayed or tactically outclassed, which didn't happen. Just mistakes which haven't been too regular anyway.

To be honest I`m surprised we don`t make more mistakes given how tired the players must be and the injuries some are carrying.

4 hours ago, Bicester Red said:

Yes Pack scored own goal then gave ball away

Should have been in row Z

But at 1 - 0 He should have reverted Flint back and killed game, Fielding would not have been put in that position

But LJ knows better best, even though I said this at 1 - 0!

Definite pen hand ball to us 

How has anyone made sense out of this!?

Our goalkeepers were always coached not to come flying out if there was even a chance a defender could make a challenge - don't leave the net unattended. Even if the forward gets past the defender he still has a 1-on-1 to negotiate which might allow another defender to get back.

With regards to Flint I have to admit to being a bit embarrassed when he lined up in the second half as a striker. What's the point of Leko, Taylor and especially Woodrow who I thought made a decent fist of it against Florist when he came on.

We're a good side though - looking forward to Fami, Milan and Callum getting back.

I’m really not understanding the Magnússon criticism here? And believe me, I’ve never been his biggest fan but I actually thought he was pretty decent for most of the game tonight. 

People saying he lost his man for the sending off?? Nonsense. Since when was the opposition right back the ‘man’ for the centre half to mark? Doherty was Bryan’s man. But Bryan stupidly ran infield to close the ball down when Magnússon was already approaching the man with the ball. Bryan has no business being in there and leaving Doherty free. 

Magnússon to his credit actually spotted this and tried his best to turn and get back to cover Bryan’s man. But the counter attack was too swift and he didn’t make it. 

Make no mistake though, this was Joe Bryan’s man who was left with the whole half of the pitch to play in. 

3 hours ago, reddoc said:

Flint shouldn't have been up there in the first place in my opinion. We looked entirely comfortable , had 45 mins to break them down. He's not a striker , contributed nothing up front and the whole team looked confused and lost it's shape. 1-0 down with 5 to go maybe. 

I'm inclined to agree this time although his presence in the box vs QPR definitely made the difference.

If nothing else it proves how frighteningly thin our squad is. Long term injuries aside we do not even have a strong set of subs at present. Kelly and Vyner will be key players given time (and coaching) but we are missing a player who can turn the game by offering a different outlet. Taylor had his worst outing in a red shirt in my opinion.

We had possession but weren't breaking Wolves down when they had 10 men. Reid's goal was brilliant but one of few second half chances.

As others has said the biggest mistake was not bringing Flint back after the goal.

There's no shame in losing narrowly to this Wolves team but it was a missed opportunity to take a point or three.

9 hours ago, ashton_fan said:

We had a weak bench tonight our subs didn't contribute, they had a strong bench that's why they were better near the end. Some of our lads have played too much recently, tired player s make mistakes

Absolutely this. Cavaleiro and others gave Wolves a new lease of life. They had originally taken off their top scorer after their red card but after ours they went for it with their subs. We didn't have the same impact from the bench. At most you could accuse LJ of being too loyal to players who have done him proud for weeks - needed to make a sub sooner but not sure which of them could've affected the game. Reid was well marked and Taylor came on and was too pretty, we really needed a presence.

If we have Duric we don't lose that game. The Flint switch worked a treat at QPR and it would have done today with the extra man. Once Fielding went off we reverted to type without a natural target man and were playing it around and switching it trying to work the ball but made too many mistakes, giving the ball away in possession.

I read through the thread and was going to make the same point as @ashton_fan and @Olé. Before all the injuries our bench looked stronger than at any time I can remember. Recently it has necessarily been threadbare. Even allowing for the injuries the plan of recruiting players with potential but as yet not the quality for the Championship simply means we cannot compete with the likes of Wolves, Derby, Villa, Boro with squad depth. This will need to be balanced in January if we are to be promoted.

12 minutes ago, cheshire_red said:

I read through the thread and was going to make the same point as @ashton_fan and @Olé. Before all the injuries our bench looked stronger than at any time I can remember. Recently it has necessarily been threadbare. Even allowing for the injuries the plan of recruiting players with potential but as yet not the quality for the Championship simply means we cannot compete with the likes of Wolves, Derby, Villa, Boro with squad depth. This will need to be balanced in January if we are to be promoted.

And unfortunately Engvall and Taylor-Moore have in no way progressed since they arrived and don’t look like making it here

By now they should have both been capable of being a real option off the bench if not starting games and they both appear way off that 

3 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

And unfortunately Engvall and Taylor-Moore have in no way progressed since they arrived and don’t look like making it here

By now they should have both been capable of being a real option off the bench if not starting games and they both appear way off that 

I don't know anything about Engvall's development, but Taylor Moore is developing really well at Cheltenham. He's being played in the RB position, getting motm awards and being praised by many for his approach and eagerness to develop, and improving every game. He's still only 20, and Gus is still very young.

it seems our development for the future now, is that the players closest to the first team are out on loan getting mans football, whilst having squad players like Vyner and Kelly ahead of those.

I think the sendings off deflected from the fact that Wolves looked a better team and my best guess is that the result would've been the same. They have a very good squad, good Manager and great set of fans and fully deserve to be where they are so good luck to them.

Bristol City have all of the above but with the biggest long term injury crisis I can remember. Oh- and our entire squad cost less than one of their players but I sort of agree with  the OP- it's Lee Johnson'e fault we are now 3rd in the League.

The only person to blame is the bafoon of the Keeper we have....he’s been a liability for a number of years. We were in total control of the game. Don’t come and and be easily. Stand your ground as he may not have scored. We had players getting back . Even if he had scored at 1-1 with 11 men we would never have lost the game and the worst was a point. Thanks to the fool we lost all three. Should we have put flint back. Like I said we were coasting at the back so maybe not. 

21 minutes ago, coxyboy said:

The only person to blame is the bafoon of the Keeper we have....he’s been a liability for a number of years. We were in total control of the game. Don’t come and and be easily. Stand your ground as he may not have scored. We had players getting back . Even if he had scored at 1-1 with 11 men we would never have lost the game and the worst was a point. Thanks to the fool we lost all three. Should we have put flint back. Like I said we were coasting at the back so maybe not. 

You cannot apportion all the blame on Frankie...

1. LJ major mistake in not reverting Flint to Defence after we had scored - we had no need to force the issue by leaving him up front. Flint back there would have dealt with through ball.

2. As you say Fielding should not have come rushing out when there was cover, unless he was sure of reaching the ball. His foul after was the right thing to do, just unfortunate it back fired when they scored from the FK.

3. Mags could have done better dealing with the through ball, or taken a yellow for bringing their guy down.

4 . Bryan never tracked the runner, which was his man.

5. Wright played him onside after Mags and Baker has stepped up.

Frankie not blameless but others have to share the responsibility. Frankie has saved us many times this season let us not forget, far outweighing his errors.

• Admin

I have no wish to read through 3 pages of hand wringing, the first page was enough, but has anyone credited Wolves for taking of the lethargic and ineffective Helder Costa and replacing him with Ivan Cavaleiro? 

Game changed in that instant for me as Cavaleiro immediately changed their whole X's mentality that gave them an avenue back into the game.

17 hours ago, Bicester Red said:

But at 1 - 0 He should have reverted Flint back and killed game, Fielding would not have been put in that position

The LJ haters out again I see after one disappointing result after controlling the game until 1 superb pass turned the game through skilful play not LJ! Woodwork supporters as per usual

Seems that several on here are saying Wright was too deep for the sending off and played him onside. LJ mentioned Magnússon being out of position, implying it was his mistake.

I do think Lee has his favourites - which I guess is inevitable. Never hear him point a finger at Wright or Flint but Maggs has been singled out a few times now. I thought overall that Hörður had a good game and maybe a bit unfair to blame him when Fielding shouldn't have charged out like that.

18 hours ago, Bicester Red said:

Couldnt agree more!It was obvious they would throw caution to the wind and go on the attack and our best defender was playing up front!!!!

Archived