IGNORED

LJs Fault

Langford Red

4 minutes ago, bs3 said:

If he was going to score why get sent off as well?

It was a mistake by Frank, these things happen.

Because it only led to a free kick where 9 times out of 10 it wouldn’t have led to a goal.  If that had gone into row Z I think peoples opinions may have been different.

4 hours ago, old_eastender said:

You cannot apportion all the blame on Frankie...

1. LJ major mistake in not reverting Flint to Defence after we had scored - we had no need to force the issue by leaving him up front. Flint back there would have dealt with through ball.

2. As you say Fielding should not have come rushing out when there was cover, unless he was sure of reaching the ball. His foul after was the right thing to do, just unfortunate it back fired when they scored from the FK.

3. Mags could have done better dealing with the through ball, or taken a yellow for bringing their guy down.

4 . Bryan never tracked the runner, which was his man.

5. Wright played him onside after Mags and Baker has stepped up.

Frankie not blameless but others have to share the responsibility. Frankie has saved us many times this season let us not forget, far outweighing his errors.

1.  No. We looked better with 3 at the back.  We had more of the game in their 3rd, created chances and scored the goal.  What we should have done is become more compact as a 3 at the back with the wing backs a little more withdrawn after we went into the lead.

2. Fielding should have just tried to have saved it - it was their right back - hardly guaranteed to score.

3. taking a yellow?? You mean a red. 

4. True he was absolutely knackered and should have been taken off rather than Magnússon.

5.  That is the sort of thing that happens when you have ad hoc formation in the middle of the game.  I did think we were very spread as a 3.  Neither Magnússon nor Wright seemed to come narrower when Flint went up front.

1 minute ago, RumRed said:

Because it only led to a free kick where 9 times out of 10 it wouldn’t have led to a goal.  If that had gone into row Z I think peoples opinions may have been different.

Yes but 9 Times our of 10 that foul would of led to a sending off with an good opportunity to level the score. 

Taking one for the team in this scenario makes no sense.

Just now, bs3 said:

Yes but 9 Times our of 10 that foul would of led to a sending off with an good opportunity to level the score. 

Taking one for the team in this scenario makes no sense.

We’ll have to disagree, we have a very decent backup keeper and if that goal hadn’t gone in we may well have had enough to hold on 10 v 10.  He only had a split second to make the decision, how many outfield players get sent off for a deliberate foul in the box which leads to a penalty which is almost a guaranteed goal.  Just looks odd when a keeper goes off for a professional foul.

What is it with this blame game? It was a brilliant general performance against the stand out team in this division. Yes, there were mistakes made and two of these probably cost us the game. This team is currently producing quality and entertaining football, the likes of which I have not seen in my 56 years of going to Ashton Gate (football has changed significantly since the old First Division days). I was absolutely gutted when Wolves grabbed their late goal, especially as I live only a few miles from Molineux and will have to face the taunts of many Wolves fans, but I am extremely proud to be a supporter of this football club. Yes, there will be mistakes, and some of these may cost us points, but I am fully behind this exciting and developing team.

The players know the mistakes they made yesterday. The important thing is that they learn from them to become even better players, and, therefore, we become an even better team. This team has learned a lot this season and if they continue to learn and develop then the dream of reaching the Premier League can become a reality. Those who don't learn will obviously be replaced by players who do. I have every confidence that Lee Johnson and his coaching staff know exactly what needs to be done.

Looking forward to an exciting second half of the season!

12 minutes ago, Dead Red said:

What is it with this blame game? It was a brilliant general performance against the stand out team in this division. Yes, there were mistakes made and two of these probably cost us the game. This team is currently producing quality and entertaining football, the likes of which I have not seen in my 56 years of going to Ashton Gate (football has changed significantly since the old First Division days). I was absolutely gutted when Wolves grabbed their late goal, especially as I live only a few miles from Molineux and will have to face the taunts of many Wolves fans, but I am extremely proud to be a supporter of this football club. Yes, there will be mistakes, and some of these may cost us points, but I am fully behind this exciting and developing team.

The players know the mistakes they made yesterday. The important thing is that they learn from them to become even better players, and, therefore, we become an even better team. This team has learned a lot this season and if they continue to learn and develop then the dream of reaching the Premier League can become a reality. Those who don't learn will obviously be replaced by players who do. I have every confidence that Lee Johnson and his coaching staff know exactly what needs to be done.

Looking forward to an exciting second half of the season!

Good post

I was more gutted for LJ n staff and the players themselves rather than us fans tbh

20 hours ago, Bicester Red said:

Yes Pack scored own goal then gave ball away

Should have been in row Z

But at 1 - 0 He should have reverted Flint back and killed game, Fielding would not have been put in that position

But LJ knows better best, even though I said this at 1 - 0!

Definite pen hand ball to us 

Well done........ I wish you were our manager 

Got to say simply down to Fielding getting himself sent off. Yes the Wolves player may or may not of scored. But at least we would had 11 men on the pitch and maintained an advantage if they did score and at worse draw the game. At 1-1 and 11 v 10 they would have sat back and tried to hold on.

Hopefully Pack has learnt to just play it simple than trying to be clever and ******* it up in the dying embers and in our defensive third.

8 hours ago, RumRed said:

Yep usually in that situation it stays 1-0 but with 10 each,  which I was confident we would see out. The goal was a savage mental blow and one that made it very hard fit the players to reassert themselves. The mighty psychological pendulum had swung. 

I think LJ subbed Pato for steele thinking the same thing, but one minute later we needed him on the pitch again! 

BTW. I personally thought that their equaliser (which was described on the championship programme as 'a fantastic free kick', or some other similar superlative) was actually a pretty straight forward catch into the midriff until it took that deflection. 

19 minutes ago, Manon said:

Yep usually in that situation it stays 1-0 but with 10 each,  which I was confident we would see out. The goal was a savage mental blow and one that made it very hard fit the players to reassert themselves. The mighty psychological pendulum had swung. 

I think LJ subbed Pato for steele thinking the same thing, but one minute later we needed him on the pitch again! 

BTW. I personally thought that their equaliser (which was described on the championship programme as 'a fantastic free kick', or some other similar superlative) was actually a pretty straight forward catch into the midriff until it took that deflection. 

No, the deflection brought it back towards Steele.  I think he was struggling to get there had Pack not got his head on it.  As usual, the keeper took a mini-step to the left, making the weight shift towards the ball and subsequent deflection very cumbersome.

6 hours ago, Chappers said:

My thought at the time was to keep Flint up front, far better to keep pressing than sit back and allow Wolves back into the game. We screwed it up, Frankie made an error of judgement, just live and learn and move on.

But the point is that Frankie made that error because he was covering for the centre half who wasn't where he should have been. If Flint was at the back FF would have stayed in his goal, so although his sending off cost us the game, it was a bad error keeping Flint up top at 1-0. If anything he should have gone back to his natural position and Woodrow come on for Paterson. 

55 minutes ago, The Horse With No Name said:

But the point is that Frankie made that error because he was covering for the centre half who wasn't where he should have been. If Flint was at the back FF would have stayed in his goal, so although his sending off cost us the game, it was a bad error keeping Flint up top at 1-0. If anything he should have gone back to his natural position and Woodrow come on for Paterson. 

Fair point, but with the benefit of hindsight. I just stated how I saw it at the time, close call, but we are a positive side, and Flint was giving us an extra option and creating space for Reid. All ifs and buts. 

Before half time I suggested putting Flint up front, again the extra option, and because Wolves were sitting deep and not counter-attacking with any great commitment.

7 hours ago, Chappers said:

Fair point, but with the benefit of hindsight. I just stated how I saw it at the time, close call, but we are a positive side, and Flint was giving us an extra option and creating space for Reid. All ifs and buts. 

Before half time I suggested putting Flint up front, again the extra option, and because Wolves were sitting deep and not counter-attacking with any great commitment.

No but they wouldn't at 0-0. They would have been happy with a draw to keep us the same distance behind them , but as soon as we scored, of course they are going to attack us . It's also not really hindsight, because me and it seems loads of others, were thinking Flint has to go back at the time we scored. 

Puttting a big centre back up front should always be a last resort, for the final 10- 15 minutes when you are losing , not at the start of the second half, and certainly not when you are winning anyway. Lee Johnson tried to be too clever on this occasion and it backfired. 

11 minutes ago, The Horse With No Name said:

No but they wouldn't at 0-0. They would have been happy with a draw to keep us the same distance behind them , but as soon as we scored, of course they are going to attack us . It's also not really hindsight, because me and it seems loads of others, were thinking Flint has to go back at the time we scored. 

Puttting a big centre back up front should always be a last resort, for the final 10- 15 minutes when you are losing , not at the start of the second half, and certainly not when you are winning anyway. Lee Johnson tried to be too clever on this occasion and it backfired. 

Not really. Despite having 10 men, we were unable to get through. Flint spooked them and we scored.

Obviously a Lee Johnson City team will go for the jugular when at home. It’s not in our ethos to defend a 1 goal lead against 10 men when at home. Flint up there was working and we wanted to kill the game off. I don’t think this is his fault really.

Individual mistakes are to blame but sadly you can’t really account for those.. and they’ll happen more regularly when the team has expended so much mental energy.

We lost a tight game against a very good side. It happens, we’ll bounce back as we have done a couple of times this season.

You can also blame LJ sending Flint forward for set pieces late in the game , even in tough battles a la Sheffield United

A far more sensible manager would be keeping him back making sure we keep what we’ve got

:whistle:

How many points have we accumulated by being bold , even deep in games that are on a knife edge

Personally , I would probably have dropped Flint back , but it would have been a 50/50 decision as Flint was causing them real concern and creating holes for BR / JP and our midfield 

To make the decision appear a quite obvious one is IMHO nonsense - Have to say I admire LJs open mindness to different ways to win (And,  it should be remembered Planned For - They have been. Working with Flint up front in training in case they wanted to utilise the option - and it showed)

To blame the call re Flint on losing us the game is crazy

I think the biggest single factor was the double whammy of a sending off and equaliser - think it knocked us supporters and the players for six, Wolves and their supporters smelled blood and they also had the /enefit of introducing real quality from the bench

There is very little wrong at AG at the moment , Let’s move on to Villa , a massive game and another real tough one , anything we get there is a bonus for me - We will regroup and get on a roll soon if not today

We are still looking good and only hampered by injuries - Keep the faith 

7 hours ago, spikeislandred said:

Blame Flint, blame LJ, blame Frankie, blame Pack...ffs shut up now

Blame all of the above plus a dozen or so others... Absobloodylutely!!

For ...... the brilliant season so far & the fact we are right up there competing with the best in the League in the play-off places and seriously challenging an auto promotion top two position...

So yes, they're all to blame for the wonderful position we are in on the first day of the New Year...

Be Happy Everyone, that the football supporting side of our lives, are pretty bloody marvellous at the moment COYR's. 

8 hours ago, spikeislandred said:

Blame Flint, blame LJ, blame Frankie, blame Pack...ffs shut up now

Let's put it that "responsibility" rather than "blame" is being sought (taking the positives from this thread). People on here are only doing what Johnson, Holden and McAllister will have been doing (although those 3 will have had to shift their emphasis to prep for today, and reiterating all the positives), it is the curse of the obsessed. 

How else are people, whether it be the head coach and his two assistants, or fans on here, going to decide what we need in the January transfer window, what we need to improve on what we have already seen? Unless they unpick the setbacks? It would be negligent of LJ not to look at what might've gone wrong, in case he missed an opportunity to prevent it happening again and improving the team; many obsessive fans also think like this, in subtle and not so subtle (or eloquent) ways, but have the added frustration of being powerless to do anything about it.

If you are not so minded, and more of a "we're third in the Championship, what a brilliant season!" (a very reasonable outlook to take, by the way) then a "LJ's fault" thread after a home defeat is only going to upset you and best avoided. Assuming you did not wish to be upset.

2 hours ago, The Horse With No Name said:

Around me, opinion was divided, with arguments both ways, and it was a very tough call, with no guarantees. My point is that it was not an obvious mistake at the time, although we don't know what would have happened had Flint moved back. Over the course of the season LJ has made some bold calls, and mostly they have paid off. This time it didn't, still a good ratio overall.

Archived