IGNORED

Alexa is a red....

cheese

40 minutes ago, WhistleHappy said:

One "Echo' improvement I'd like to see, delightful as she is and no disrespect to Alexa...  but a user choice selection of voices, accents and genders in the Alexa speaking role would be nice... (like you get in many sat-navs systems) 

An instant and easy availability of bulk deletion of app 'conversation/request' history logs, with a keep/save option (as we are used to with phone logs texts and emails etc..) would be an improvement too.

Think that's not to far away.

1 hour ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

My nephew got a cheap Chinese imitation 

Its called Darrell

Whatever the question you ask it it only has 5 answers

We go again ‘

’ Fake sheikhs ,

,’ we took 40 thousand ‘

‘ ,What Budget’

’ Labradors are my favourite ‘

Does the Jordanian version known as Wael, answer everything with "These things take time"

59 minutes ago, havanatopia said:

Now Bristol Rob, you have raised a question; would this be through a paid subscription to a music service and, if so, which one or ones?

Also, question 2, can the little speaker identify more than one voice?

Cheers me dears.

Yes you have to pay for a subscription music app, either Spotify or Amazon Music which is a rip-off as far as I’m concerned! I have all my music on iTunes but it won’t work through your iTunes library! The only slight advantage is that for your money, you do get to listen to more or less any song out there, irrelevant as to whether you actually own the song or not. You can also get it to play songs in any number of ways, by simply asking for the song, or for an album or simply by asking for a certain bands playlist which should then play all songs by that band.

And yes, it can identify any number of voices, you just have to say “Alexa” to wake it up & then ask her to do whatever you want. You have to enable what they call ‘skills’ to enable it to do certain things but that’s all possible via a smartphone, it’s a very simple but good piece of equipment.

32 minutes ago, Tipps69 said:

Yes you have to pay for a subscription music app, either Spotify or Amazon Music which is a rip-off as far as I’m concerned! I have all my music on iTunes but it won’t work through your iTunes library! The only slight advantage is that for your money, you do get to listen to more or less any song out there, irrelevant as to whether you actually own the song or not. You can also get it to play songs in any number of ways, by simply asking for the song, or for an album or simply by asking for a certain bands playlist which should then play all songs by that band.

You seem familiar with Alexa Tipps - I've been listening all morning to some of my favourite music but haven't subscribed to Amazon music although it asked me twice on a couple of different songs.

Does this mean I'll get charged for the songs I've listened to?

30 minutes ago, Tipps69 said:

And yes, it can identify any number of voices, you just have to say “Alexa” to wake it up & then ask her to do whatever you want. You have to enable what they call ‘skills’ to enable it to do certain things but that’s all possible via a smartphone, it’s a very simple but good piece of equipment.

Thank you very much Tipps. I have been thinking of buying one for Mum; since Dad has gone she likes to listen to the radio a lot more and with music on tap it sounds like a winner. Would it also turn on a number of radio stations?.. via the internet I presume.

Great about the voices. Thanks again.

2 minutes ago, Robbored said:

You seem familiar with Alexa Tipps - I've been listening all morning to some of my favourite music but haven't subscribed to Amazon music although it asked me twice on a couple of different songs.

Dies this mean I'll get charged?

Where is your music stored?  You can play your iTunes library through it, but only as a Bluetooth speaker. 

I think you need Spotify Premium or Amazon Music (both paid for services) to use Alexa the way she’s built. 

We bought one for Joe for Xmas. The main reason was if he is home on his own (bad parents!!!!) and he can’t reach us phone and needs us, he can say “Alexa please call mum / Dad”. Before anyone calls Social Services, we only leave him when we’ve nipped to a neighbours or are local. Honestly :P

3 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Where is your music stored?  You can play your iTunes library through it, but only as a Bluetooth speaker. 

I think you need Spotify Premium or Amazon Music (both paid for services) to use Alexa the way she’s built. 

I got Alexa as a Xmas gift and today in the first time I've actually had the chance to use it to play music. I've asked for particular ones which have all played except two when I was told I could subscribe to Amazon music to hear that particular song.

All the others were played perfectly and I'm wondering if I'll be charged thru iTunes?

Btw the system is a bit prudish when it comes to bad language and being 'pc'...

Got it to swear though when I requested  'Alice' by Roy chubby Brown... Didn't have the whole record but it did have a 'sample' from somewhere... and it played, the immortal line '' Alice? Alice? Who the **** is Alice?? "  uncensored. 

(hmm, yeah childish I know, but I was happy to have 'tricked' Alexa :laugh:.... Small things,small minds eh?)

22 minutes ago, havanatopia said:

Thank you very much Tipps. I have been thinking of buying one for Mum; since Dad has gone she likes to listen to the radio a lot more and with music on tap it sounds like a winner. Would it also turn on a number of radio stations?.. via the internet I presume.

Great about the voices. Thanks again.

Yep, you can ask it to just play whatever radio station but there is also a ‘radio skill’ that you can enable just to make sure it works properly as I’ve found by just asking Alexa to play some stations that I’ve ended up with foreign channels but once the skill was enabled it worked perfectly.

You have to have WiFi for it to work.

7 minutes ago, Flint says No said:

I think it can add stuff to a shopping list online. Or is that something else? It can also tell you the weather today.

It can order stuff for you but you have to have Amazon Prime for this to work.

There are a few things that if you want it to work fully, you have to pay extra for or have subscriptions which is a bit of a rip-off as far as I’m concerned. I’ve had mine for over 6 months now & hardly use it so I’ve not renewed my Amazon Music subscription as it hasn’t been used for months.

I suppose it depends on where in the house you have it & how many people you have in your household to use it.

If you have more than one in your household you can contact other ones in different rooms so to save you shouting at someone you can speak to them via the other ones & you can also call people in different houses as long as you have them in your contacts on your phone.

42 minutes ago, Robbored said:

I got Alexa as a Xmas gift and today in the first time I've actually had the chance to use it to play music. I've asked for particular ones which have all played except two when I was told I could subscribe to Amazon music to hear that particular song.

All the others were played perfectly and I'm wondering if I'll be charged thru iTunes?

For the ones that did play, do you have those in your iTunes library?

3 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Not at all although I do have an iTunes account for other stuff.

Alexa doesn’t use iTunes, iTunes is an Apple device, Alexa uses Amazon Music or Spotify as Alexa is an Amazon device.

There is supposedly a way of getting your iTunes library on to Alexa but it was far to confusing for me to figure out when I looked into it months ago.

2 minutes ago, Tipps69 said:

Alexa doesn’t use iTunes, iTunes is an Apple device, Alexa uses Amazon Music or Spotify as Alexa is an Amazon device.

There is supposedly a way of getting your iTunes library on to Alexa but it was far to confusing for me to figure out when I looked into it months ago.

Can be used as a passive speaker via Bluetooth so you could Bluetooth your phone to the Alexa device and send iTunes music from your phone. 

2 minutes ago, Tipps69 said:

Yep, you can copy it into Amazon Music...which defeats the object to me.

@Robbored - have you purchased CDs from Amazon Prime and had the "Digital Download / Autorip" email that allows you to download them before you get the physical cd?

2F2EF536-EB9C-43E7-A646-086CA3177824.jpeg

4 minutes ago, Tipps69 said:

You have a very appropriate username! 

Thanks Tipps - I don't think I'll bother to try and get my iTunes library onto Alexa! My technical skills are pretty limited!

2 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

@Robbored - have you purchased CDs from Amazon Prime and had the "Digital Download / Autorip" email that allows you to download them before you get the physical cd?

I have bought CDs from Amazon Prime but not for a while. I don't remember any email but  if I did I'd have deleted it.

2 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Yep, you can copy it into Amazon Music...which defeats the object to me.

2F2EF536-EB9C-43E7-A646-086CA3177824.jpeg

Exactly that, Amazon Music allows you to play any music (for a price) so putting your iTunes library onto Amazon Music is pointless.

I suppose it all depends on just how much you’re going to use it & how often you listen to music, as with many new devices, the novelty wears off & they eventually just become another thing that attracts dust.

43 minutes ago, Robbored said:

I have bought CDs from Amazon Prime but not for a while. I don't remember any email but  if I did I'd have deleted it.

Ok, although my guess is that if you were to go into your Amazon Music app (download if need be), you’ll see several albums in there digitally.  I imagine if you ask Alexa to play one of these it will do.  Joe’s is linked to his Amazon account which has zero music, so I can’t test it.

There is also an iOS 11.2 issue with Amazon My Music and Alexa...so no way of testing

Archived