IGNORED

Flint

Topper 123

Can anyone tell me for the love of this club WHY Johnson keeps putting flint up front against wolves at 0-0 it worked and we went 1 up That’s the time you revert back and tell your forward to chase down every ball , NO he leaves him up and fielding has to cover and we’ll we know the rest 

TONIGHT 2-0 half time flint gets chucked up front although we bring on Taylor ? Next thing we’re 4-0 down and making us look stupid . THEN he brings him back , is this desperation / panick - come on if we can’t win the game then let’s not lose it and before anyone starts I don’t hold all that bollocks about team are tired -same fixtures as everyone else- now let’s do it right and play all reserves sat and f##k fa Cup US FANS WANT PROMOTION NOT CUPS 

Just now, Magger1 said:

Can anyone tell me for the love of this club WHY Johnson keeps putting flint up front against wolves at 0-0 it worked and we went 1 up That’s the time you revert back and tell your forward to chase down every ball , NO he leaves him up and fielding has to cover and we’ll we know the rest 

TONIGHT 2-0 half time flint gets chucked up front although we bring on Taylor ? Next thing we’re 4-0 down and making us look stupid . THEN he brings him back , is this desperation / panick - come on if we can’t win the game then let’s not lose it and before anyone starts I don’t hold all that bollocks about team are tired -same fixtures as everyone else- now let’s do it right and play all reserves sat and f##k fa Cup US FANS WANT PROMOTION NOT CUPS 

Because it worked once.

1 minute ago, Magger1 said:

We don't have any other option. Djuric and Diedhiou out at the same time. Unfortunately LJ knows that bench tonight are not currently good enough to change games. Need reinforcements and players back. 

It is disappointing because it put Reid back into midfield as well. We tout how playing him as a forward has completely transformed him, hes on fire, scoring, pressing playing really well - then we stick him back into midfield to play a role that fans are divided about re him, all to play a CB as a striker. This speaks volumes about our current strength in depth - i.e. we are threadmare. Need players back, and some re-enforcements to help the guys out.

6 minutes ago, Magger1 said:

You halve talk some rubbish.

4 minutes ago, Esmond Million's Bung said:

Because it worked once.

Twice as he played up front second half at QPR and could have won with the tactical change

In response to why, who else do we have who can create chaos and play off when FD and MD are out injured

3 minutes ago, Magger1 said:

US FANS WANT PROMOTION NOT CUPS 

Please don’t talk on behalf of all our fans....personally I would love to see City win a major cup competition after supporting the chaps for 44 mainly barren years...

I presume you were leaping around like an idiot, as everyone I know was, when we scored the winner vs Man United? If you weren’t then that’s just plain weird, and if you were then you care about City doing well in a major cup competition....

At this moment in time I’m just delighted that it looks like we will, at the very least, still be in the Championship next season. I’m not as desperate as some to get into the Premier League....we are a force in the 5th best division in Europe, that’ll do me for now...I’m not going to demand promotion (in capital letters) as you did in your presumptuous OP...

2 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Please don’t talk on behalf of all our fans....personally I would love to see City win a major cup competition after supporting the chaps for 44 mainly barren years...

:thumbsup:

I presume you were leaping around like an idiot, as everyone I know was, when we scored the winner vs Man United? If you weren’t then that’s just plain weird, and if you were then you care about City doing well in a major cup competition....

:thumbsup:

At this moment in time I’m just delighted that it looks like we will, at the very least, still be in the Championship next season. I’m not as desperate as some to get into the Premier League... :thumbsup: .we are a force in the 5th best division in Europe, that’ll do me for now... :thumbsup: I’m not going to demand promotion (in capital letters) as you did in your presumptuous OP...

:clap:

Flint is a clear threat from set pieces but he is not a natural forward. There is a big difference in winning headers facing the ball, and doing so with your back to goal. He should of scored early in the second half but Taylor got in his way. But he contributed little else up front and his absence was clearly felt when we conceded the third. We are still in the game at 2-0 down with 20 minutes to play, but are pretty much out of it at 3-0. I’m not saying tonight’s score flattered Villa, but a goal just after half time could have given them the jitters as they failed to see out a win against Sheffield United last time at home having been 2 up. 

I love the FA Cup and want to win on Saturday, but some of our players are clearly in need of a rest. Engvall must start up front with Taylor. Am I right in thinking that Hines and McCoulsky are not options (if recalled) as both played in earlier rounds and are Cup-tied. 

5 minutes ago, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

Flint is a clear threat from set pieces but he is not a natural forward. There is a big difference in winning headers facing the ball, and doing so with your back to goal. He should of scored early in the second half but Taylor got in his way. But he contributed little else up front and his absence was clearly felt when we conceded the third. We are still in the game at 2-0 down with 20 minutes to play, but are pretty much out of it at 3-0. I’m not saying tonight’s score flattered Villa, but a goal just after half time could have given them the jitters as they failed to see out a win against Sheffield United last time at home having been 2 up. 

I love the FA Cup and want to win on Saturday, but some of our players are clearly in need of a rest. Engvall must start up front with Taylor. Am I right in thinking that Hines and McCoulsky are not options (if recalled) as both played in earlier rounds and are Cup-tied. 

Hinds is OK, he was an unused sub in the first round

It wasn't just putting Flint up top that left us vulnerable. We missed Pack massively in the second half. Whilst Flint was putting himself about, we had no-one mopping up second balls, leaving a big gap when Reid got sucked forward. Villa broke through this space excellently at times, but we made it far too easy for them.

In the first half we resorted to whacking long balls to Bobby Reid in the air who, believe it or not, struggled to keep the ball.  Villa did a good job of cutting out the options into our midfield forcing us to go long.  Putting Flint up front made absolute sense.  What concerned me was, yet again, the removal of Magnússon and also Pack and the openness of our formation.  We could have kept Taylor on the bench and Bobby up top for a bit like we did against Wolves and would have been more solid in CM and with a greater goal threat.  If we were able to get back into the game we could have gone gun ho at the end.  It was too much too soon.

I know this is all hindsight but we looked so open to the counter attack. 

While we lose a lot in defence, without a Djuric / Fammy, the ball just hasn't been sticking up top, meaning our opponents are straight back on to our midfield  / defence. It's a stop gap but we had to try something. Once we have a 'big' un fit to play with the little 'uns we have, it will be back to normal. 

15 hours ago, Magger1 said:

You really can't work out why Flint is being used up front? 

"Fans want promotion not cups" - You're right. But it's gunna be tough and we will have ups and downs. And we are by no means garunteed promotion because of a reasonably good first half of season !

15 hours ago, Magger1 said:

Bollocks about tiredness? Same fixtures for all?

The latter bit is correct but don’t you think squad size, squad depth and injuries play a part?

Flint is a better defender but that said, he shows more attacking quality than some strikers we've had (Bas Savage anyone?) I'm sure Lee Johnson would prefer Duric or Diedhiou up front but desperate times call for desperate measures.

Someone said earlier in the thread that the fixture list is the same for everyone except this season we were in a League Cup quater final against one of the most renowned clubs in the world. At times during the Man U. game we looked as if we were playing on grit and determination alone, a determination that paid dividends. One added fixture shouldn't be a problem but we have an injury hit squad with some player being patch up and sent out when normally they'd be rested.

There was another comment regarding the F.A. Cup not being important and from a supporters view point I agree. Now the thing is we don't have the ability to spend huge amounts on player and their wages due to ftp.  The cup competitions bring in money that will raise the amount we can spend on the squad. Promotion would be fantastic and not undeserved, but I think most fans would have been happy seeing us well clear of the bottom 3 and the improvement in the football we've played this season. So if LJ thinks we need Aden Flint's height and physicallity up front I for one will not argue.

1 hour ago, numbeast said:

Flint is a better defender but that said, he shows more attacking quality than some strikers we've had (Bas Savage anyone?) I'm sure Lee Johnson would prefer Duric or Diedhiou up front but desperate times call for desperate measures.

How dare you denigrate the name of the great Bas Savage !

His indistinguishable twin brother, Robbie, will be very annoyed.

(Hint: if it helps, Robbie's the one with the dodgy hair)

It's not done on a whim... Flint has been playing up front in training for a while.

The same happened pre season with Reid...look how that turned out.

Flint can score goals...which he's done playing as a CB. 

Play him up front for longer periods where he can disrupt defenders and still score goals... what's not to like.

Archived