IGNORED

The official Watford FC v Bristol City FC in the FA Cup Match Day Thread

Septic Peg

10 minutes ago, 22A said:

In that 75-76 season the official history states no one at the club was too upset at going out of the FA Cup at the third round stage as promotion was the priority.

The season before City beat Leeds away, who had been unbeaten for most, if not all of the season. 

On a different point, Reckon that Millen was right when he expects Pep to throw the cart and horses at City in the 1st Leg. Why would they expose themselves to any risk when it’s not required. 

That comment aside, I think I’d rather listen to an hour of Roger Malone, rather 5 mins of Keith Millen. 

3 minutes ago, Lord Northski said:

The season before City beat Leeds away, who had been unbeaten for most, of not all the season. 

Reckon that Millen was right when he expects Pep to throw the cart and horses at City in the 1st Leg. That comment aside, I think I’d rather listen to an hour of Roger Malone, rather 5 mins of Keith Millen. 

totally agree with you well said

9 minutes ago, Super said:

Not overly bothered about today but looks like we will be going into next saturday with 4 defeats in a row. Massive game next saturday.

Our knackered and injured first team players have enjoyed a nice well earned respite and a few more days recovery time.... 

Hope we'll start reaping the benefits of that in the coming weeks, if not Tuesday then certainly fingers crossed for next Saturday.

Don’t like to lose any match but in the grand scheme of things and considering our squad at the moment the last thing we need is more cup games.

Not in the slightest bit gutted about this at all.

Get the Man City tie out the way, enjoy the occasion and then completely concentrate on the League.

12 minutes ago, Red Right Hand said:

I`ll be interested from to hear from those who were there how Gus looked when he came on. From the commentary it sounded like he had a couple of good chances and looked sharp. They were talking up the tackle at the end that stopped him saying it was a certain goal if the Watford player hadn`t made it.

He looked sharp in the build up play and certainly contributed more than Woodrow did. That tackle at the end though should never have happened, the defending was awful, defender would never have got to it had Gus not froze like a rabbit in the headlights and completely fluffed his best goal scoring opportunity. 

12 minutes ago, The Enormous Turnip said:

Not seen it mentioned anywhere, but Cardiff drew a blank at home to Mansfield and now have the replay away to squeeze in - and they were taking the positives from our added fixture congestion from the Manchester games... I know which fixture I'd rather have :shifty: 

Wolves also have a replay. They are probably Home and hosed but, can’t hurt. 

Did we actually 'lose' today though?

I mean 'really lose' .. In the long term I reckon todays game has been invaluable.... 

When have we ever had an opportunity to give our youngsters and fringe players the chance to face Premier League opposition in a proper (non pre season friendly) match.

Hope the lads enjoyed their day today, the experience will have done non of them any harm.

Priceless!

15 minutes ago, Red Right Hand said:

I`ll be interested from to hear from those who were there how Gus looked when he came on. From the commentary it sounded like he had a couple of good chances and looked sharp. They were talking up the tackle at the end that stopped him saying it was a certain goal if the Watford player hadn`t made it.

Got himself into a few good positions but looked scared to shoot to me - tried to play someone else in twice and both were poor balls. Looked low in confidence to me.

5 minutes ago, Peter O Hanraha-hanrahan said:

Don’t like to lose any match but in the grand scheme of things and considering our squad at the moment the last thing we need is more cup games.

Not in the slightest bit gutted about this at all.

Get the Man City tie out the way, enjoy the occasion and then completely concentrate on the League.

Agreed,  we have a very very outside chance of getting into the final of the LC,  if it was a single game like it was against Man U and we were at AG. then possibly some chance. So as you say,  enjoy the experience and get on with trying to play Man City in the Prem next season.

Just now, Moakesy said:

Got himself into a few good positions but looked scared to shoot to me - tried to play someone else in twice and both were poor balls. Looked low in confidence to me.

Having not played since what? November? It isn't too surprising really, is it?

Genuinely think if we keep him around the squad we will get something back.

Taylor has 2 goals in 29 league games, Woodrow (not even our player) 2 in 14.

Does anyone not think he could still be a trade up on those two?

My only concern today’s is Eliasson. His dead balls are fantastic but don’t really understand his game apart from that. Slows the game down, waits for Kelly to overlap. Never tried to beat a man himself, I believe he is meant to be very quick and skilful but yet to see that. He’s only impressed me when he came on against Boro, rest of the time he’s been disappointing in my opinion. 

On the otherhand Edwards look decent today, some good runs and beat a few players once or twice. Much rather see him on the bench but does need to bulk up which will come with age.  

Happy to be patient with Eliasson but can’t wait to have ODowda back. 

6 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Having not played since what? November? It isn't too surprising really, is it?

Genuinely think if we keep him around the squad we will get something back.

Taylor has 2 goals in 29 league games, Woodrow (not even our player) 2 in 14.

Does anyone not think he could still be a trade up on those two?

The only time I’ve seen significant minutes from Gustav, was v Hull last season in the cup.  I thought he had something.  Good touch, finds space, sharp for first 3-5 yards....against Maguire, Davies and Dawson (I think). Did well.

DH just praising him on BBCRB.

Really hope it's not Richard Hoskin on Radio Bristol commentary on Tuesday night.

0-0 is the latest score.

1-0 is the latest score.

2-0 is the latest score.

3-0 is the latest score.

4-0 is the latest score.

5-0 is the latest score.

And now City have to score soon if they are going to get anything from this game....

Even if we do win by that margin, I would still prefer someone else's voice when the highlights are replayed.

For me today was also about defining the clear out that will occur close season, regardless of which division we end up in.

Think we will see a fair few leave as LJ defo knows the level to be expected in this league now. A lot leaving but some good incoming also - hopefully. Exciting times ahead?

Onwards and upwards for me!

46 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:
  51 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

I see his movement off the ball, his intelligent running, his ability to bring a ball under control and lay it off to team mate. I realise that some of that has been missing in recent matches, hence my comment about form, but he hasn't lost that ability. The sad thing is that there are quite a few who would be happy to show none of these things, but be lucky in front of goal. I am aware that his record in front of goal is poor, but he will start scoring again soon. Probably for someone else though.

Fair play but although he suits our style of closing and pressing , I don't see him offering much of a cutting edge. He looks like he wants to be an on the shoulder player, but he doesn't have the pace to do it. He hasn't shown signs of successful shooting and has missed the few chances  that has fallen to him.
I wanted to give him the benefit when he joined but I have been underwhelmed , I really don't see him having a long term future.
I do wonder if the speed of defenders in the championship is that much quicker.

4 hours ago, B-Rizzle said:

3-0 but who cares

Only 2 first eleven players started

2 wildcard academy lads make their debuts and play full 90mins.

Another 2 academy players continue their development for 90mins against a prem side.

Rest of the team made up of fringe players.

Can’t remember this ever happening before. So proud of our club and the bold selections from our manager.

COYR!

Now we have our eyes on the BIG prize (promotion etc), but over on gaschat they can't understand why we are happy in defeat. Perhaps it's because their big oprize is staying where they are.

10 hours ago, Ryan_BCFC said:

QPR lost meaning the league game will go ahead as planned.

booked a flight back to england for this match a cpl of weeks ago without realizing that it also clashed with 4th round of the cup - never happy to hear city lose, but i've breathed a sigh of relief that the qpr game is on! tinpot cup anyway :) 

Archived