IGNORED

Gustav - LJ Comments

INCRED

So apparently LJ has seen flashes of quality in Gustav Engval and does not want to sell him but happy to loan him out.

Not sure if LJ is trying to stir up interest by talking him up and finding a suitor but he’s well down the pecking order. I suppose he’s still very young and seen as one for the future along with McCoulskey & Hinds?

LJ being a bit cryptic?

9 minutes ago, samo II said:

Taylor being injured and Woodrow seemingly out of the picture may give him a chance. Here’s hoping he takes it. 

I have watched him live a couple of times admittedly last season and I seen enough to think he had potential. I dare say him struggling to settle didn't help and I hope the club persist with him and Engval continues to work hard. He has his partner living in Bristol now so fingers crossed that has helped him a lot. If he goes out on loan then it needs to be within a commutable distance in my opinion 

29 minutes ago, simon uk said:

I think it would take reid, diedhou and diony being unavailable for him to be considered, and even then we would stick flint up front before gustav gets a game. Him playing for us is about as likely as rovers doing anything worthwhile, ever.

That's a bit strong. It's not 'as likely' because Gustav does have a chance of playing for us, even if it is a very small one...

32 minutes ago, INCRED said:

I have watched him live a couple of times admittedly last season and I seen enough to think he had potential. I dare say him struggling to settle didn't help and I hope the club persist with him and Engval continues to work hard. He has his partner living in Bristol now so fingers crossed that has helped him a lot. If he goes out on loan then it needs to be within a commutable distance in my opinion 

I admittedly haven’t seen much of him for City (not hard tbf) but thought he showed some genuine ability at the under 21s this summer, and don’t believe he’s all that bad if he’s scored a fair few in Sweden.

He’s one I just think maybe moved too young and didn’t get the chance to settle; would have hoped there was a relatively local League One/Two team he’d be willing to go to, but not sure how things stand.  Part of me thinks he’ll got back to Sweden again, which would be a mistake in my eyes.

How about a Diony / Engvall pairing up front, late on in a game as attacking subs? I know I might get some questioning my sanity, but Diony appears to like running onto balls between defenders, while Engvall seems to have some ability at laying the ball off for players running through (see the goal that Pato scored in the FA cup against Fleetwood last season).

It could work....

40 minutes ago, simon uk said:

I think it would take reid, diedhou and diony being unavailable for him to be considered, and even then we would stick flint up front before gustav gets a game. Him playing for us is about as likely as rovers doing anything worthwhile, ever.

Agree - he couldn't even get any decent game time when we played a U23's against Watford. The few times he has been on the bench it was because of injuries to other players and even then he's remained unused or 2nd fiddle to putting flint upfront. 

6 minutes ago, samo II said:

I admittedly haven’t seen much of him for City (not hard tbf) but thought he showed some genuine ability at the under 21s this summer, and don’t believe he’s all that bad if he’s scored a fair few in Sweden.

He’s one I just think maybe moved too young and didn’t get the chance to settle; would have hoped there was a relatively local League One/Two team he’d be willing to go to, but not sure how things stand.  Part of me thinks he’ll got back to Sweden again, which would be a mistake in my eyes.

Agree with you both. He played against Hull in the League Cup last season and I thought he looked quite sharp, against a defence that included some useful defenders. I hope he gets a chance to play in this country, to show what he can do. We don't know enough about him to write him off yet.

I think you have to take LJ's words as being very honest.

We've punted good money on three players of young age. All 22 and under. Moore, Elliason and Engval...who are all finding their feet in England.

You can see they all have potential...each is a different case. And each in different stages of their development.

Imo, Gustav has found it the hardest to settle.

No reason to think he won't in the near future, once he gets settled in his life and used to being a small fish in a big pond.

You don't represent your country as many times as he has if you are no good.

It's taken Bobby Reid to get to nearly 25 to show how long it takes some players.

1 hour ago, samo II said:

Taylor being injured and Woodrow seemingly out of the picture may give him a chance. Here’s hoping he takes it. 

But Woodrow was on the bench last Saturday and not Gustav so who knows what is going on with them two...

52 minutes ago, spudski said:

I think you have to take LJ's words as being very honest.

We've punted good money on three players of young age. All 22 and under. Moore, Elliason and Engval...who are all finding their feet in England.

You can see they all have potential...each is a different case. And each in different stages of their development.

Imo, Gustav has found it the hardest to settle.

No reason to think he won't in the near future, once he gets settled in his life and used to being a small fish in a big pond.

You don't represent your country as many times as he has if you are no good.

It's taken Bobby Reid to get to nearly 25 to show how long it takes some players.

Yep, said in another post some players may breakthrough later due to having to develop their physique to compete in the Championship and above.  Bobby got to 23/24 (he’s 25 on Friday - happy Birthday goals I hope!) before he got a physique ready to take on the Championship, and centre forward is uncompromising with big, ugly CBs.

I’d keep Engvall here, maybe on loan this second half of the season, and then spend the summer really trying to integrate him into our way of playing.  I don’t think it can be underplayed how much a part pre-season fitness and system integration has played on our success.

If that doesn’t get the desired results then we move him on, whilst he’s still under contract.

Like an above poster, that Hull game showed he’s no mug....up against Davies, Maguire and Dawson - think they all played for England, or at least made the squad.  Plus he had to partner Wilbs, which is probably not his ideal striker partner.

2 hours ago, cidercity1987 said:

Send him on loan to the Gas. They aren't going up or down so no sweat and see if he can make it here without having to leave Bristol.

Not sure what Engvall has done wrong to deserve that punishment! Surely the club have disciplinary measures far short of something this extreme

Its the footballing equivalent of solitary confinement -"That's it boy - three months!! IN THE HOLE!!!!" 

I’m no expert by any means however I’d rate myself as pretty good at understanding people’s body language and state of mind. 

In my opinion, Engvall’s issues are mostly mental. I haven’t watched him live enough times to truly appraise his ability, but given his pedigree at international level and the fee we spent on him we can assume he’s got potential.

Just looking at his demeanour and the comments made my LJ and MA over the last few months makes me think it’s all about his state of mind rather than playing ability.

Perhaps he came over here expecting to be an instant hit and found it a culture shock. I remember his signing photos on the pitch with a couple of agents/hangers on that reminded me of the exciting photos of ‘foreign imports’ to the Prem in the 90s. 

I really hope it works out for him, perhaps a good loan where he gets a few goals and a full pre-season will do him the world of good. 

I agree it looks mostly in the head. When he came on against Watford I thought he was breath of fresh air compared to the ineffective and wasteful Woodrow. But then when through on goal you could see he had no confidence and attempted to pass when better placed to shoot on goal ....which then generated a large and unsympathetic groan from the City faithful.

He is young and very much in the ' future prospect worth hanging on to' bracket and for that reason we should give a him a bit of slack and time. 

He's 21, some of our academy products haven't shown what they're truly capable of until 23/24. Still time for Gus yet so not surprised LJ would rather loan him out. Bang on with his comments if Gus were an academy product we'd be a lot more excited but due to the size of his fee the fans being more expectant. 

1 hour ago, Phileas Fogg said:

I’m no expert by any means however I’d rate myself as pretty good at understanding people’s body language and state of mind. 

In my opinion, Engvall’s issues are mostly mental. I haven’t watched him live enough times to truly appraise his ability, but given his pedigree at international level and the fee we spent on him we can assume he’s got potential.

Just looking at his demeanour and the comments made my LJ and MA over the last few months makes me think it’s all about his state of mind rather than playing ability.

Perhaps he came over here expecting to be an instant hit and found it a culture shock. I remember his signing photos on the pitch with a couple of agents/hangers on that reminded me of the exciting photos of ‘foreign imports’ to the Prem in the 90s. 

I really hope it works out for him, perhaps a good loan where he gets a few goals and a full pre-season will do him the world of good. 

I think the worry for the club is what exactly to do next. He is definitely rated highly but also has struggled to settle. He is not likely to get that much game time at City this season, but having finally got him and GF to move Bristol do they want to ship him out on loan or keep him as back up and try and help him settle in the city.

Good to see a mix of people still looking for the positives in this saga. As a club we have seemingly little to lose by keeping him (relatively low wages, little chance of a recouping our transfer costs) but it would be great for Engvall and BCFC to see him come through this.

4 hours ago, INCRED said:

Newport or Yeovil would be a good move, very commutable he would surely get regular football there.

It'll be interesting to see whether he does ever go on loan.

And I agree with what's been said about it being 'in his head'.

Everything that's been said by the club suggests this.

LJ has spoken about Engvalls positioning in the past, as in not getting into the right areas.

Would a loan help? Is it game time or development in other areas of his game that he needs?

Or does he need to be around the squad constantly, ingraining our way of playing and understanding how we play?

Take Moore for example...it's obvious why he's been sent to Cheltenham. He played for us on occasion and LJ alluded to him not getting 'stuck in'.

He's been sent to 'man up' against the Brutishness of League 2.

And by all accounts has been doing well in that department.

Interestingly he's been playing far better in the RB position.

Then we have Vyner, a RB,  who LJ see's as a CB in the future...playing at Plymouth as a CB.

It's all going on ;-)

Archived