IGNORED

The official Bolton Wanderers FC v Bristol City Match Day Thread

Unan

I’m sorry to say the fault for tonight lays firmly at the door of LJ.

Firstly not for the first time the failure to sign a right back has bit us on the arse. Playing our best midfielder at right back was a joke, I felt really sorry for Pack who incidentally should not have been subbed IMO, he needed help against a robust Bolton midfield.

Patterson should not have been selected he has been poor for a while now.

The best player on the field by a country mile was Ameobi and why? because it would appear we couldn’t get close to him for some reason.

Yet again we over complicate in and around the box (as LJ said trying to score the perfect goal) and simple balls go astray, our crossing was poor and I would be interested to know what free kick drills we run because boy our free kicks totally lack any imagination whatsoever, they are beyond awful.

We barely created a worthwhile chance all night.

I really felt sorry for the 4 strikers that were used tonight because the service to them was appalling.

We can allow LJ the occasional lapse because of the progress of this season, but he needs to look in the mirror tonight and reflect, he got this game wrong.

1 minute ago, RedSA said:

Their turnaround hasn’t started with us. They’ve won 6 and drawn 5 of their last 11 games at home. That’s better than our record in that time. 

Which makes the arrogance of some of our fanbase beforehand all the more stupid.

No surprise that it's these same fans who are most irate now either. 

12 minutes ago, Jerseybean said:

Disappointing, we were not at our best and despite having 65% possession we never looked like scoring. For all our neat passing we lacked directness/incisiveness. 

Everything was to slow,the passing around the back line at times almost drove me up the wall and I’m up for keeping the ball but not where it was so slow that when it did get anywhere near their half they were settled,bad night at the office 

9 minutes ago, ZiderEyed said:

On paper the players we have have performed better over the season, they've just lost their top scorer, they're in the relegation zone. We SHOULD have comfortably beaten them. That's not a judgement on Bolton or that it wouldn't have been a tough game, but I don't see any reason why we shouldn't be expecting to win?

Dont get me wrong mate on paper everything pointed to a City win, we just as a club need to realise that teams in this league especially the ones scrapping for points aren't just going to roll over because Bristol City are coming to town.. you could see the complacency in the players tonight, turn up and we should win this easily kinda attitude and it seems to be creeping into the fanbase too..... anyway we go again hopefully this will be a kick up the backside for some :yes:

Should have had a pen for the foul on Bobby Reid but we never had a single shot on target in the first half.

Korey Smith at right back is an absolute no no. His quality is needed in midfield as he showed against Man City, and in most other games to be fair.

Too much going nowhere Tika Taka with not enough movement off the ball. We try to walk it into the box and get too close to each other and eventually mess it up.

Pato was totally ineffective tonight. Joe Bryan was poor, admittedly it was difficult because he was on a yellow. Our defensive tackling as a whole was weak.

Ryan Kent clearly has ability, but it's that final pass which seems to be short all of the time.

We aren't direct enough which is why our goal difference is the worst in the top 6.

Luke Steele coming to punch frightens me.

Brownhill worked hard but wasn't creative enough.

Pack was steady but ineffective against a packed defence.

Diedhiou looked ok in patches but ran out of steam. Still, he is just back from injury so fair play.

Bobby Reid's movment is great but there's not enough movement around him.

Ameobi was good for them. I thought Wheater had a good game for them, as did Vela and Tyler Walker, but they are a poor side and we should have won that game.

Our set piece play is woeful and wasteful. How many times did we try the long pass to Flint to head back into the box? If we want to challenge we need to get better at set pieces as in games like tonight they may be the best chances that we are likely to get and we can't keep wasting them!

Diony hardly touched the ball and didn't seem much of a threat when he came on. Still, first game l suppose.

The way to stop us is to park the bus. We cannot play against it without chucking bodies forward and eventually getting caught out like we did tonight.

Really disappointing. We just didn't seem motivated tonight. We could find ourselves slipping out of the playoff spots in the next few weeks if this form continues.

Perhaps we have been punching above our weight and are now being found out?

Still we ain't going down so that is progress!

1 minute ago, RedSA said:

Their turnaround hasn’t started with us. They’ve won 6 and drawn 5 of their last 11 games at home. That’s better than our record in that time. 

Yep, thanks for pointing that out you're right, christ.. :facepalm: 

most teams record is better than ours right now :blush:

We didn't play well but Bolton haven't lost at home since September and beat Cardiff 2-0 just before Christmas, they're obviously hard to beat at their own place. If we'd got that penalty and/or our initial team selection had been better we'd have got at least a point, still disappointing though.

1 minute ago, ashton_fan said:

We didn't play well but Bolton haven't lost at home since September and beat Cardiff 2-0 just before Christmas, they're obviously hard to beat at their own place. If we'd got that penalty and/or our initial team selection had been better we'd have got at least a point, still disappointing though.

Yeh people on here just thought we'd turn up and win - and that they are shit - they aren't. 

As we know it's the hope that gets you!!!

Can we as soon as possible get back to despair and fighting off relegation it suits us better.

We can then revert to, (were shit and we know we are) Don't get our hopes back up next week City by beating the Mackems then drag us back down again, we can't ****** stand it.

Anyway lets all have one more beer or cider each and join in. were shit and we know we are were shit and we know we are.  There it's made me feel better after that crap performance.  BUT, already on the road to recovery beat them nasty ***** next week and the belief is back.  NO don't do it City the prolonged agony is more than we can stand!!  urrrrrreeeedddddssssssss!!                 

17 minutes ago, You Do The Dziekanowski said:

We can’t afford to miss Korey from CM and imo can afford to put brownhill there. 

We played that in there hands. They sat off us waiting for the long ball/cross into the box where they had 8 men to clear it and any rebounds. We needed to run at the defence more as that’s where they were weak and conceding fouls 

yep. because LJ doesn't rate mags as a CB, he has to mess with the balance of the team. Korey is a key player. He needs to play centre mid.

6 minutes ago, Northern Red said:

Which makes the arrogance of some of our fanbase beforehand all the more stupid.

No surprise that it's these same fans who are most irate now either. 

Calm yourself, does it really make any difference? they are off the bottom, I could have said 'continue their resurgences', would that make me less arrogant and stupid? 

I'm sorry, its late, i've not slept in 2 days, im not going to argue with you. 

Just to add to my misery.....I saw two posters in a bookies windows  this week. On Monday it read ‘Liverpool to beat Huddersfield 3-0, stake £10 winnings £290; then yesterday Bolton to beat Bristol City 1-0 9/1. Needless to say I didn’t place either bet.

6 minutes ago, Cheesleysmate said:

Should have had a pen for the foul on Bobby Reid but we never had a single shot on target in the first half.

Korey Smith at right back is an absolute no no. His quality is needed in midfield as he showed against Man City, and in most other games to be fair.

Too much going nowhere Tika Taka with not enough movement off the ball. We try to walk it into the box and get too close to each other and eventually mess it up.

Pato was totally ineffective tonight. Joe Bryan was poor, admittedly it was difficult because he was on a yellow. Our defensive tackling as a whole was weak.

Ryan Kent clearly has ability, but it's that final pass which seems to be short all of the time.

We aren't direct enough which is why our goal difference is the worst in the top 6.

Luke Steele coming to punch frightens me.

Brownhill worked hard but wasn't creative enough.

Pack was steady but ineffective against a packed defence.

Diedhiou looked ok in patches but ran out of steam. Still, he is just back from injury so fair play.

Bobby Reid's movment is great but there's not enough movement around him.

Ameobi was good for them. I thought Wheater had a good game for them, as did Vela and Tyler Walker, but they are a poor side and we should have won that game.

Our set piece play is woeful and wasteful. How many times did we try the long pass to Flint to head back into the box? If we want to challenge we need to get better at set pieces as in games like tonight they may be the best chances that we are likely to get and we can't keep wasting them!

Diony hardly touched the ball and didn't seem much of a threat when he came on. Still, first game l suppose.

The way to stop us is to park the bus. We cannot play against it without chucking bodies forward and eventually getting caught out like we did tonight.

Really disappointing. We just didn't seem motivated tonight. We could find ourselves slipping out of the playoff spots in the next few weeks if this form continues.

Perhaps we have been punching above our weight and are now being found out?

Still we ain't going down so that is progress!

Aguero wouldn't have scored tonight with the service provided it was shocking.

Did Bakers stupid tackle and sending off cost us tonight. So the Magnússon bashers. Who would you rather have, him or the lacklustre Bryan. So much was wrong tonight against a weak Bolton side. Couldn’t pass the bloody ball 10 foot. To many aimless passes. To many tippy tally passes. Lanky git for Bolton wasn’t tackled at all. Get f ing stuck into him. Oh for a Gerry Gow or Norman Hunter. When we got the ball in their penalty area few attacked it and waited for someone else to do something. Grrr!

12 minutes ago, Esmond Million's Bung said:

I’m sorry to say the fault for tonight lays firmly at the door of LJ.

Firstly not for the first time the failure to sign a right back has bit us on the arse. Playing our best midfielder at right back was a joke, I felt really sorry for Pack who incidentally should not have been subbed IMO, he needed help against a robust Bolton midfield.

Patterson should not have been selected he has been poor for a while now.

The best player on the field by a country mile was Ameobi and why? because it would appear we couldn’t get close to him for some reason.

Yet again we over complicate in and around the box (as LJ said trying to score the perfect goal) and simple balls go astray, our crossing was poor and I would be interested to know what free kick drills we run because boy our free kicks totally lack any imagination whatsoever, they are beyond awful.

We barely created a worthwhile chance all night.

I really felt sorry for the 4 strikers that were used tonight because the service to them was appalling.

We can allow LJ the occasional lapse because of the progress of this season, but he needs to look in the mirror tonight and reflect, he got this game wrong.

Mr Hinton put your little rubbish icons all you like at least have the balls to offer a counter argument.

2 minutes ago, CiderHider said:

Calm yourself, does it really make any difference? they are off the bottom, I could have said 'continue their resurgences', would that make me less arrogant and stupid? 

I'm sorry, its late, i've not slept in 2 days, im not going to argue with you. 

I wasn't referring to your comment. More the "these are shit, we'll smash them" type stuff from various posters before the game. 

We just didn't look like compact tonight, or in control of all our 'zones'. Too many lost 50/50's, and yes that was partly due to Smith not being in the middle all game.

Diedhiou seemed to get bossed a bit tonight, and we really bloody struggle when we're playing a team who's back line refuses to move above the 18 yard box for most of the game. 

Archived