IGNORED

Championship Table at Close of play today

Davefevs

Considering we have only won twice in the last 8 games but remain in the playoffs and only 6 points off of 2nd place, we are actually well positioned still. 

We obviously now need to stop this slow run of results immediately though as we now have a small run with really winnable games combined with two key games against top 6 opponents by end of February. Some of those around us are playing each other too over this period. For example up to 3rd March Fulham have us, Villa, Wolves and Derby. We have stronger options now in the team than in December and part of January when we had that ridiculous run of games with injuries too. 

We can do this but can’t afford many more slips if any unless others do too.

2 hours ago, Alex_BCFC said:

Who doubted wolves wouldn't win this league - mental. So far ahead of everyone in every department. 

I didn’t watch all of it but I though Utd played some nice possession football.....

....across the half way line!

Whenever they tried to get into the final third they met a brick wall.  I sensed Wolves toying with them, just waiting to catch them on the break.

I guess Simon Moore learned how to make a needless foul and get a red card from the master?  Frankie "ahhhhh Grasshopper" Fielding :P

5 hours ago, WhistleHappy said:

Pretty much worst case scenario then....

:fingerscrossed:for some late spectacular twists in the tail results, still got a few mins eh?  

Boo! February depression...

Hi again everyone:sub:.... So how did the last few minutes go in todays matches then? ... Yeah, told you things could get better didn't I ? .... We always believe don't we and things usually work out in the end.

Well I'll be popping off now then to check those late scores and see how the table is looking tonight...

Always Believe! ....Yay!!  .... COYR's :yahoo: .... let's have a look...

PS... Oh Bollocks!!!  Damn, :sad26:wtf went wrong :dunno:

6 hours ago, Maesknoll Red said:

Whilst I am not of the opinion we should sack Lee and persuade Warnock to come scurrying over the bridge to us, I fail to see why there is so much disdain for the guy on here, he is a pantomime villain, but under that, a decent bloke and not too bad a manager.....

I used to think the same to an extent.  However I was at Elland Road today and they were a horrible, nasty team, cynical fouls and time wasting and manipulating the referee.  There was no artistry in how they played.

I don’t want my team to be like that however “successful” they may be as a result of adopting such tactics. Some things are just more important.

9 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

They’ve got a superb manager at this level! But people on here ‘hate’ me mentioning it, eh @JamesBCFC ?! He even asked me if I was Neil’s dad! Wahey! 

He does get results at this level but at what cost?

You and others have your view which appears to be success at any price - others differ and do not want a cynical, cheating dinosaur like Warnock anywhere near AG. Both are valid views.

I don`t want him here and honestly would rather not go up than do so playing his style of football. Fortunately I don`t think he ever will be our manager though and I certainly hope he never is as I would struggle to raise the enthusiasm to travel 120 miles each way to watch home games knowing that I was going to see ninety minutes of turgid hoofball. I doubt I would be alone either. Appointing him would set the club back years IMO.

Each to their own though.

16 hours ago, Loosey Boy said:

Reality is that we aren't good enough for the Top 2 and I think everyone would take a PO place, even before last nights very poor result & performance

Results for those chasing us (except Preston) have gone our way with Boro, Leeds, and Brentford all losing - need Sheff Utd to do likewise against Wolves.

Desperately need to beat Sunderland next Sat though as we then go into a run of three very tough games.

Lets hope that last night gives the boys a "kick up the backside" that is needed in order for us to kick-on now 

I disagree that we aren't good enough for the top two. We're as good as Derby.

All I keep thinking is that if we go back to the pre season thread and look at predictions about where we would finish the large majority on OTIB were predicting somewhere around upper mid table and seeing that as good progress.

This side has proved more than capable of a top six finish and regardless of today's results that should be the target now.

There are no distractions left. The transfer window is over. Its time to press on. COYR.

15 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

They’ve got a superb manager at this level! But people on here ‘hate’ me mentioning it, eh @JamesBCFC ?! He even asked me if I was Neil’s dad! Wahey! 

Crikey, I really pissed in your cereal when I commented on that other thread.

Your extremely defensive response to a comment that compared style of play to Wimbledons during their top flight years was unnecessary as no one slighted Warnock in that thread in the tiniest way.

That was the point being made, and I have broken it down for you 3-4 times now, but you keep coming back.

Let it go.

15 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

I do remember opposition players calling you a Warnock on a Sunday morning, maybe there’s some truth :P

5 hours ago, Red Right Hand said:

He does get results at this level but at what cost?

You and others have your view which appears to be success at any price - others differ and do not want a cynical, cheating dinosaur like Warnock anywhere near AG. Both are valid views.

I don`t want him here and honestly would rather not go up than do so playing his style of football. Fortunately I don`t think he ever will be our manager though and I certainly hope he never is as I would struggle to raise the enthusiasm to travel 120 miles each way to watch home games knowing that I was going to see ninety minutes of turgid hoofball. I doubt I would be alone either. Appointing him would set the club back years IMO.

Each to their own though.

Cardiff’s style of football can be quite exciting, leads to goal opportunities, and in a lot of respects is more watchable than tippy-tappy, play it across the halfway line stuff.

What I think people confuse with Warnock’s playing style is all the nasty, cheaty, cynical stuff they do.  They then use this to say they couldn’t watch the brand of football his sides play, when I think what they really mean is they don’t like the stuff I said above.

There is a difference.

And yet many were crying out for Bryan to cynically chop Ameobi down! :whistle:

4 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I do remember opposition players calling you a Warnock on a Sunday morning, maybe there’s some truth :P

Cardiff’s style of football can be quite exciting, leads to goal opportunities, and in a lot of respects is more watchable than tippy-tappy, play it across the halfway line stuff.

What I think people confuse with Warnock’s playing style is all the nasty, cheaty, cynical stuff they do.  They then use this to say they couldn’t watch the brand of football his sides play, when I think what they really mean is they don’t like the stuff I said above.

There is a difference.

And yet many were crying out for Bryan to cynically chop Ameobi down! :whistle:

There's also a difference between a cynical foul in isolation and 3-4 potential leg breakers in one game like they did against Man City.

We've become much cleverer at those and commit a few cynical fouls to stop a counter without resorting to being a dirty side that puts in a lot of nasty tackles (not that our players are complete angels).

I couldn't watch a Bristol City side where players went down feigning injury at the slightest bit of contact once ahead and going route one all the time, but that doesn't mean I am completely against teams having a bit of nous about them.

The Rotherham game a couple of years ago is a prime example, a player laying prone for over 5 minutes and then running and jumping without an issue as soon as he's on his feet again- their tactics in that match, launch the ball into the area as much as possible.

It's like when teams try to run the clock down late on in games, Man City kept the ball in the corner against us for over a minute, yes I'm frustrated they're running the clock down, but they are doing it with skill keeping possession in a tight area.

In contrast to Redknapps Brum side last season, they have a goal kick and Kuszczak moves the ball from the right side of the six yard box to the left, then back to the right. Harry signals for a sub to be made so Kuszczak waits, Harry cancels the sub, Kuszczak moves the ball to the left side of the six yard box again, then kicks his boots against the post for 10 seconds- none of these events happening concurrently.

2 minutes ago, JamesBCFC said:

There's also a difference between a cynical foul in isolation and 3-4 potential leg breakers in one game like they did against Man City.

Totally agree, but you start moving from a pale shade of grey into a deeper one unless you accept a bit of hypocrisy!

We've become much cleverer at those and commit a few cynical fouls to stop a counter without resorting to being a dirty side that puts in a lot of nasty tackles (not that our players are complete angels).

We have indeed.  Aside from the odd Baker red mist challenge (fairly infrequent) I don’t think we have one player that goes over the top.

I couldn't watch a Bristol City side where players went down feigning injury at the slightest bit of contact once ahead and going route one all the time, but that doesn't mean I am completely against teams having a bit of nous about them.

Feigning injury, yes awful, hate it, when it’s done as obviously as we’ve seen from Warnock’s sides.  You need to watch this Cardiff side more closely, they are not route one.  It’s a myth.  They are physical, but they play everything quickly, which can result in lots of misplaced passes, scrappy periods of play, but they are not route one. As I state in my initial post people mistake the cynical approach taken by Warnock to mean that he plays unattractive football.  

The Rotherham game a couple of years ago is a prime example, a player laying prone for over 5 minutes and then running and jumping without an issue as soon as he's on his feet again- their tactics in that match, launch the ball into the area as much as possible.

And where is Greg ‘Lazarus’ Halford now....Cardiff!

It's like when teams try to run the clock down late on in games, Man City kept the ball in the corner against us for over a minute, yes I'm frustrated they're running the clock down, but they are doing it with skill keeping possession in a tight area.

All you need a good referee to stop it, but they wait until stoppage time to book the keeper.  It does my head in too.

In contrast to Redknapps Brum side last season, they have a goal kick and Kuszczak moves the ball from the right side of the six yard box to the left, then back to the right. Harry signals for a sub to be made so Kuszczak waits, Harry cancels the sub, Kuszczak moves the ball to the left side of the six yard box again, then kicks his boots against the post for 10 seconds- none of these events happening concurrently.

Couldn’t agree more, but that’s nothing to do with style of play.

8 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

R.E the referee, Kuszczak got about 12 final warnings from the ref that day, it was an absolute joke.

I don't think there are many strong referees around in that not many will actually clamp down on the time wasting, or penalty area shirt pulling, but at the same time it probably needs more than one referee to do it in isolation. The other issue is consistency, occasionally a referee will have a word or book someone early on for whatever reason, but then lets similar offences go unpunished in the same game, or will have a totally different standard of what's a booking from one week to the next.

I got a bit of respect for this Swedish referee, who started a social media page to discuss decisions he made, and doesn't want to shy away from talking about contentious ones, before admitting an error in a big call.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2015/aug/11/swedish-referee-facebook-page-explain-decision

Archived