IGNORED

Weather (Merged)

BcfcDuncs

2 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

It’s not actually that hard to understand, people seem to be desperately over complicating it. 

The club are trying to ensure the stadium and surrounding area is safe to stage a football game. 

The police are advising against non essential travel. 

Therefore, as things stand, there’s a football game on, and if you want to risk attending it then it’s our call as we’re all grown adults. 

going to this game is not necessary travel, then should the police be there policing it? or should resource be going somewhere else? Do police need to have a presence at a football match? (I can't remember.) 

If a football match is taking away x number of emergency services staff away from a area where there are various problems on the roads, surely that is not acceptable?

2 minutes ago, JulieH said:

The club have ensured all the safety inside the stadium and the pitch is safe for fans to attend their event . 

Avon and Somerset police advice continues to be as stated in all our tweets 

So our Club is ensuring that a football game takes place, while the Police are advising people not to attend.

Where will the buck stop if it all goes wrong.

1 hour ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

I'm not sure I get your point.

If the pitch is fine, the stadium is safe and the roads and pavements in the vicinity are also deemed as safe, why should the match be called off?

I've never heard of a match at AG being postponed before when those conditions have been met.

If the police are advising people not to travel then surely an event where 20,000 are expected, most of whom will have to travel to some degree, shouldn't go ahead.

If it's not safe for people to go to work, for buses to run etc., how can it be safe for people to travel in large numbers to a football match?

I'm sure that, eventually, it will be called off. I don't understand the delay tbh.

There is an easy and obvious solution here. Call the game off. Remove all doubt, all confusion and stop people travelling from far and wide taking unnecessary risks on treacherous roads just to get to a game of football that in most cases they have already paid to see.

The inability for cohesive decision making between the club and authorities is truly unbelievable at times.

2 minutes ago, BTRFTG said:

Out of interest and appreciating it's a dynamic assessment, at what point does the OIC, in partnership with their emergency service colleagues, assure there's adequate response available to mitigate any perceived risk should it materialise? The implication from your statement is that, at present, the OIC is happy that adequate response will be in position. Is that so?

There has been ongoing meetings at Avon and Somerset regarding the weather and adequate response being provided in our force area.

officers have been called in, or collected where they cannot come in and 4 x4 vehicles utilised to ensure public safety is maintained and an emergency response to the weather conditions continues to be provided. 

We will be in a position to offer this tomorrow. 

2 minutes ago, TRL said:

going to this game is not necessary travel, then should the police be there policing it? or should resource be going somewhere else? Do police need to have a presence at a football match? (I can't remember.) 

If a football match is taking away x number of emergency services staff away from a area where there are various problems on the roads, surely that is not acceptable?

No idea about police resourcing, I wouldn’t like to speculate, but I imagine the A&S resources at a low risk fixture like this would be a tiny fraction of their workforce  

Take the ‘but what if I can’t get there?!’ emotion out of the situation and it’s pretty straightforward tbh. 

4 minutes ago, marmite said:

Will there be a police presence at the game Julie? If so, can the force spare the officers?

Yes there will be, officers already warned and rest days cancelled .

we will review it tomorrow morning weather dependant and ensure officers get sent to the greatest need whilst still ensuring a safe event at Ashton gate 

1 minute ago, Jacki said:

If the police are advising people not to travel then surely an event where 20,000 are expected, most of whom will have to travel to some degree, shouldn't go ahead.

If it's not safe for people to go to work, for buses to run etc., how can it be safe for people to travel in large numbers to a football match?

I'm sure that, eventually, it will be called off. I don't understand the delay tbh.

And those 20,000 people are 20,000 journeys that don’t need to happen, that add risk to the journeys of others that do need to happen, that put unnecessary increased pressure on the road network and, potentially, the emergency services.

Madness.

The club can't really win here, leave it on tomorrow and the club gets criticised by those who can't make it. Call it off and the club gets criticised by those who can't make midweek games when it would be rearranged for and those who paid for transport, hotels etc for the game being tomorrow. 

1 minute ago, JulieH said:

There has been ongoing meetings at Avon and Somerset regarding the weather and adequate response being provided in our force area.

officers have been called in, or collected where they cannot come in and 4 x4 vehicles utilised to ensure public safety is maintained and an emergency response to the weather conditions continues to be provided. 

We will be in a position to offer this tomorrow. 

So will the police be ensuring 20000 fans coming to the ground will get there safely through the streets of Bristol, then hand over responsibility to the club when they get to the stadium boundary as that is private land.  I know you are advising not to travel, but you guys are going to have to pick up the pieces along with potentially ambulance and fire service when 20000 people (probably less) try and hit south Bristol from various directions in completely unsuitable weather

2 minutes ago, JulieH said:

Yes there will be, officers already warned and rest days cancelled .

we will review it tomorrow morning weather dependant and ensure officers get sent to the greatest need whilst still ensuring a safe event at Ashton gate 

Rest days exist for a reason. Why are they being cancelled for a football match? Save those officers for the greatest need - not a football match.

5 minutes ago, Jacki said:

That advice is for today, not tomorrow.

The forecast is for it to be 5 deg. warmer this time tomorrow.

4 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

No idea about police resourcing, I wouldn’t like to speculate, but I imagine the A&S resources at a low risk fixture like this would be a tiny fraction of their workforce  

Take the ‘but what if I can’t get there?!’ emotion out of the situation and it’s pretty straightforward tbh. 

I don't go to home games so it doesn't affect me, but taking any emergency services away from a weather effected area to police a football match no matter how small, would seem to be farcical to me

2 minutes ago, hodge said:

The club can't really win here, leave it on tomorrow and the club gets criticised by those who can't make it. Call it off and the club gets criticised by those who can't make midweek games when it would be rearranged for and those who paid for transport, hotels etc for the game being tomorrow. 

This happens all the time with rearranged fixtures hodge and I sympathise with all those inconvenienced. But surely the issue here is health and safety of the public. That is more important than any football match. 

2 minutes ago, hodge said:

They can win. They can make an early decision to minimise the losses for fans. Under the circumstances anyone who has already paid for transport and hotels ought to be able to appreciate why such a decision has been made. It certainly isn’t a reason to carry on regardless.

1 minute ago, ChippenhamRed said:

Rest days exist for a reason. Why are they being cancelled for a football match? Save those officers for the greatest need - not a football match.

Unfortunately football matches tend to be policed by some officers on cancelled rest days. It ensures a front line response to policing  is still capable and adequate 

This may have mentioned further up but surely the fact that the roads are being made safe around the ground is only part of the issue.  

Portishead at the moment is under snow and there are many side roads, particularly on the higher bits, that you simply can't get a car in or out of it or at very least it would be daft to try.  And nothing in the weather forecast suggest it's going to get better, if anything worse.  I have friends in and around Bristol who are in the same situation.

It's fine the club having this gung ho 'we're not letting the weather get the better of us' attitude but I think they are being unfair to fans.  Tomorrow it will still be dangerous to get about and certainly dangerous on pavements particularly for older people.

The game should be called off, simply as that.

6 minutes ago, Jacki said:

I'm at work...if you want to get around,you can....not a problem.

2 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

That advice is for today, not tomorrow.

The forecast is for it to be 5 deg. warmer this time tomorrow.

That'll be peak temperature later in the day.  There's very little chance that temperature will have had any effect on conditions before some time Sunday imo.

1 minute ago, ziderheadarmy said:

@JulieH whose call is it to cancel tomorrow fixture on safety grounds? The club or police? Surely you wouldn’t want hundreds of cars stuck, accidents, injures causing the ambulance service issues etc.

When does common sense kick in? 

Around 1pm tomorrow

3 minutes ago, TRL said:

I don't go to home games so it doesn't affect me, but taking any emergency services away from a weather effected area to police a football match no matter how small, would seem to be farcical to me

It’s really for A&S to manage their resources and I’m sure they’re better equipped to do so than we are from our armchairs. 

Archived