IGNORED

Weather (Merged)

BcfcDuncs

4 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

They can win. They can make an early decision to minimise the losses for fans. Under the circumstances anyone who has already paid for transport and hotels ought to be able to appreciate why such a decision has been made. It certainly isn’t a reason to carry on regardless.

They have made an early decision. 

3 minutes ago, JulieH said:

Unfortunately football matches tend to be policed by some officers on cancelled rest days. It ensures a front line response to policing  is still capable and adequate 

Would that be overtime then. I thought the police budget was stretched.

2 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

It’s really for A&S to manage their resources and I’m sure they’re better equipped to do so than we are from our armchairs. 

You'll be able to answer that question when you need to call them yourself one day.  Hope you never do.

4 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

That advice is for today, not tomorrow.

The forecast is for it to be 5 deg. warmer this time tomorrow.

people will be travelling way before that time Nog, the increase in temperature will be negligible in terms of defrosting roads and paths at the time people are travelling in.

It will take one kid to get flattened and killed by a car sliding on ice going to the game to bring this ludicrous decision crashing down around everyones ears.. all for a bloody football match

2 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

Of course it’s a problem for some people.

Indeed, those people will just miss a football game. That’s life. If the games on and you can get there safely, great. If not, shit happens, and here’s hoping we get 3 points!

4 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

That advice is for today, not tomorrow.

The forecast is for it to be 5 deg. warmer this time tomorrow.

I find it hard to believe that the snow will be melting and the roads/pavements not in any way treacherous this time tomorrow. Time will tell I guess but the prudent thing would be to call it off and save a lot of hassle imo.

1 minute ago, ChippenhamRed said:

They’ve said it goes ahead as things stand. That’s far from categoric.

Ours is one of 20 games that is still on as things stand. It’s not a situation unique to us (though I’m as surprised as anyone, though when you think about recent events then it’s not surprising the club are doing everything in their power to keep it on)

These road conditions would be a risk to supporters and their vehicles, which out-weighs the inconvenience to those that just can't attend a rearranged mid-week fixture.

I hope the club show common sense and postpones this.

16 minutes ago, JulieH said:

There has been ongoing meetings at Avon and Somerset regarding the weather and adequate response being provided in our force area.

officers have been called in, or collected where they cannot come in and 4 x4 vehicles utilised to ensure public safety is maintained and an emergency response to the weather conditions continues to be provided. 

We will be in a position to offer this tomorrow. 

Whereas today only 30-40 miles away from Bristol, the army have been called in to help stranded motorists. 

And as I write there is a massive weather related pile up crash near Exeter.

You couldn’t make this up!

1 minute ago, BRISTOL86 said:

Indeed, those people will just miss a football game. That’s life. If the games on and you can get there safely, great. If not, shit happens, and here’s hoping we get 3 points!

Anyone getting into a car tomorrow can’t guarantee to get there safely. Keeping the game on flies in the face of official advice to make essential journeys only.

How would you feel if your friend or relative was injured in a car crash involving a football fan who thought he could get to the game safely?

3 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

Ours is one of 20 games that is still on as things stand. It’s not a situation unique to us (though I’m as surprised as anyone, though when you think about recent events then it’s not surprising the club are doing everything in their power to keep it on)

How many of those other games are on the edge of a red warning zone where the impact has been most recently and drastically felt?

3 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

With wind chill the temperature won't be going above freezing tomorrow so hardly 'warmer'!

I'm not arguing for the game to be on, I don't find the prospect of sitting in AG in the cold for 2 hours that appealing.

All I'm saying is the conditions for the match to be played - pitch, stadium and surrounding areas all deemed safe seem to have have been met.

And apparently it will be 5 deg. less cold than today.

Anyone getting into a car tomorrow can’t guarantee to get there safely. Keeping the game on flies in the face of official advice to make essential journeys only.

How would you feel if your friend or relative was injured in a car crash involving a football fan who thought he could get to the game safely?

So don’t get in a car if it’s not safe to do so tomorrow! Not rocket science! No one is forcing anyone into a car tomorrow whether the game goes ahead or not, is my point. Clearly lots of people won’t be going even if the game is on.

4 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

Very few people will know its safe to travel until they find out, at some point along their journey, it isn't.

Simple.

1 minute ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

I'm not arguing for the game to be on, I don't find the prospect of sitting in AG in the cold for 2 hours that appealing.

All I'm saying is the conditions for the match to be played - pitch, stadium and surrounding areas all deemed safe seem to have have been met.

This. Why is this so hard to grasp. The club are doing everything they can to ensure they are able to host s football match - that has nothing to do with whether or not individual fans can safely get there. That’s not up to the club. 

2 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

So don’t get in a car if it’s not safe to do so tomorrow! Not rocket science! No one is forcing anyone into a car tomorrow whether the game goes ahead or not, is my point. Clearly lots of people won’t be going even if the game is on.

The majority of season ticket holders travel by car. Do you think it’s fair to hold a match they have already paid for in the knowledge that most of them can’t safely get to the game?

2 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

5 deg doesnt suddenly make things disappear. It will take at least until later on Sunday before the snow has gone. Slush everywhere too is very, very dangerous

2 minutes ago, CotswoldRed said:

Very few people will know its safe to travel until they find out, at isn't some point along their journey, it isn't.

Simple.

Maybe, but you're coming from the Cotswolds and you're answering someone in Chippenham.

There will be many thousands in the Bristol area wondering why the match has been called off if the conditions in the area in the morning don't seem to merit it.

23 minutes ago, lenred said:

But lots of people will want it on also.  Not everyone wants it called off. Those that can't make midweek games, those that may be away for the rearranged games, those who want to travel from Sheffield on a Saturday not a Tuesday (who deem it safe it to travel). It's tricky indeed and it will be a ball ache for me to get there alongside 1000's of others, but there is another side here. 

I agree with you that those who can get there want the game to go ahead. Whereas those who can’t get there because of the snow, ice want it called off. 

In essence, those who can’t get to the game are asking for a little empathy from those who can. In this case this appears to be both the club itself and some of its Bristol based supporters. 

You can take it as read that we want three points. But we’d all like to see it too. We’ve all bought tickets

The majority of season ticket holders travel by car. Do you think it’s fair to hold a match they have already paid for in the knowledge that most of them can’t safely get to the game?

I think it’s a risk you take when you buy advanced tickets for an event that on a rare occasion circumstances will dictate you can’t attend. 

Whether I’m there or not tomorrow remains to be seen, but I’d tather the game went ahead whether I’m there or not. 

Club cant win - call the game off and we’d just have a ten page moaning thread about that. 

Archived