IGNORED

Weather (Merged)

BcfcDuncs

1 minute ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Maybe, but you're coming from the Cotswolds and you're answering someone in Chippenham.

There will be many thousands in the Bristol area wondering why the match has been called off if the conditions in the area in the morning don't seem to merit it.

I'm talking to my brother in Portishead, my Dad in Chipping Sodbury and other friends around Bristol.  Just going on their info.

I couldn't get out of my village.  I know its worse here.

2 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

This. Why is this so hard to grasp. The club are doing everything they can to ensure they are able to host s football match - that has nothing to do with whether or not individual fans can safely get there. That’s not up to the club. 

Exactly this. The club are merely fulfilling their obligations to fulfil the fixture under the EFL regulations. If we unilaterally decide we don't want the game to go ahead/can't be bothered to make reasonable efforts, we can expect the gift of a walkover being awarded and a potential penalty.

If other bodies decide that it would not be in the public interest to fulfil the fixture using their expertise and information, I'm sure the EFL will agree to the postponement of the game.

1 minute ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Maybe, but you're coming from the Cotswolds and you're answering someone in Chippenham.

There will be many thousands in the Bristol area wondering why the match has been called off if the conditions in the area in the morning don't seem to merit it.

I think most people would be able to understand and appreciate why the decision had been taken.

4 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

The majority of season ticket holders travel by car. Do you think it’s fair to hold a match they have already paid for in the knowledge that most of them can’t safely get to the game?

I'm not sure that's right.

16 minutes ago, JulieH said:

There has been ongoing meetings at Avon and Somerset regarding the weather and adequate response being provided in our force area.

officers have been called in, or collected where they cannot come in and 4 x4 vehicles utilised to ensure public safety is maintained and an emergency response to the weather conditions continues to be provided. 

We will be in a position to offer this tomorrow. 

That's Police. And what of the other emergency services on whom you call in event of an incident? Still fresh in the memory are the findings of the Hillsborough Independent Panel, in particular criticism that failure to activate the major incident protocol impacted the efficiency of the much commended ambulance and fire services. I thought improved coordination between all parties was one key recommendation?

3 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

I think it’s a risk you take when you buy advanced tickets for an event that on a rare occasion circumstances will dictate you can’t attend. 

Whether I’m there or not tomorrow remains to be seen, but I’d tather the game went ahead whether I’m there or not. 

Club cant win - call the game off and we’d just have a ten page moaning thread about that. 

I agree it’s a risk you take, but normally such circumstances that would prevent you attending would either be unique to you, or wouldn’t impact on such a large percentage of supporters. When it does, I would expect the club and authorities to do the decent thing and rearrange the fixture for a time more suitable for everyone.

31 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

It’s not actually that hard to understand, people seem to be desperately over complicating it. 

The club are trying to ensure the stadium and surrounding area is safe to stage a football game. 

The police are advising against non essential travel. 

Therefore, as things stand, there’s a football game on, and if you want to risk attending it then it’s our call as we’re all grown adults. 

Absolutely. If you deem it unsafe don't go. What next will the pubs all be shut tonight just in case someone slips going there?. People need to make their own decisions and not constantly really on the authorities/club.

1 minute ago, BRISTOL86 said:

People acting like if the game is on tomorrow then it means they have to get in a car and drive :facepalm:

Use your common sense people, whether the game is on or off. 

I think a fairer assessment is - anecdotally it appears that a very significant proportion of people will deem it impossible or too dangerous to attend and so with perhaps only 5-10k in the stadium (a wild guess), wouldn't it be better to postpone, plus avoiding any risk unforseen?

2 minutes ago, View from the Dolman said:

If other bodies decide that it would not be in the public interest to fulfil the fixture using their expertise and information, I'm sure the EFL will agree to the postponement of the game.

Exactly this.

The club can't unilaterally cancel a game but they can take the police advice to the EFL and ask for a postponement.

My issues is AS police are saying don't travel today and are monitoring the forecast - given that it is unlikely to get any better tomorrow they should ask for the game to be re-arranged today, not tomorrow morning.

1 minute ago, ChippenhamRed said:

I agree it’s a risk you take, but normally such circumstances that would prevent you attending would either be unique to you, or wouldn’t impact on such a large percentage of supporters. When it does, I would expect the club and authorities to do the decent thing and rearrange the fixture for a time more suitable for everyone.

But Mr Bloggs who lives 30 seconds from the ground and who can safely get to the ground is just as important as you or me who (most likely) has to get in a car to get there. 

22k tickets sold to a major event - they will not call it off if they are physically and legally able to get the game on, as you’d expect.  

Individuals need to use their common sense in assessing whether they can reasonably travel safely to the game. If you can’t, stay home. 

3 minutes ago, Snufflelufagus said:

Absolutely. If you deem it unsafe don't go. What next will the pubs all be shut tonight just in case someone slips going there?. People need to make their own decisions and not constantly really on the authorities/club.

Exactly. Everyone moans about the H&S culture and now because they might miss a game, everything changes! 

4 minutes ago, CotswoldRed said:

I think a fairer assessment is - anecdotally it appears that a very significant proportion of people will deem it impossible or too dangerous to attend and so with perhaps only 5-10k in the stadium (a wild guess), wouldn't it be better to postpone, plus avoiding any risk unforseen?

I think given the circumstances of recent on field events for both teams, they will want the game on whether 5 or 5,000 people are there!

Ultimately it comes down to whether they can legally get the game on - ie make AG a safe place for employees. It’s clear by now that unless that changes, it’s game on. 

4 minutes ago, Lord Northski said:

I agree with you that those who can get there want the game to go ahead. Whereas those who can’t get there because of the snow, ice want it called off. 

In essence, those who can’t get to the game are asking for a little empathy from those who can. In this case this appears to be both the club itself and some of its Bristol based supporters. 

You can take it as read that we want three points. But we’d all like to see it too. We’ve all bought tickets

Fair play.  I have empathy with season ticket holders , indeed it's going to be a massive  chore for me to get there if there's is no public transport and I'd say that out of our group of 8 ST holders that 4 at least may not be able to attend at all. But it swings and roundabouts and some who can't go tomorrow will be able to go to a rearranged game and vice versa. But it's not the clubs fault. Their job is to put the game on safely.  It's then our decisions as grown adults to decide whether we feel it is safe to attend. 

Those hoping for a big thaw tomorrow to get rid of the snow will be disappointed. Temperature may creep up to a balmy +1 degree overnight and +2 by noon tomorrow but this will have a negligible affect on the snow. (Wind chill will not be much of a factor as this only applies when the object is warmer than the air temperature - eg a human body. Snow is appropriately the same temperature as the air above it)

5 minutes ago, ScottishRed said:

Exactly this.

The club can't unilaterally cancel a game but they can take the police advice to the EFL and ask for a postponement.

My issues is AS police are saying don't travel today and are monitoring the forecast - given that it is unlikely to get any better tomorrow they should ask for the game to be re-arranged today, not tomorrow morning.

Of course they MIGHT only want 10k turning up (easy life) rather than 22k on a Tuesday later in the season.........just saying .

3 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

Exactly. Everyone moans about the H&S culture and now because they might miss a game, everything changes! 

The gripe isn't so much about H&S - everyone knows whether they ought to travel or not.  It's about getting a fair number of people to the ground to enjoy the game.

I'll start - if it goes ahead I'm gonna guess 6,500 turn up.

4 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

I think most people would be able to understand and appreciate why the decision had been taken.

If the decision was taken because some fans from other cities and outlying areas - where the weather is worse -could not attend, but the vast majority more local were able to, then I'm not sure they would.

As I said earlier you, and others, would have my sympathy, but travel problems is something that's likely to happen occasionally if you live quite a distance away from AG.

2 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

If not majority, a very large percentage.

I should think the majority do not travel by car but on trains, buses or walking, and increasingly so.

4 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

But Mr Bloggs who lives 30 seconds from the ground and who can safely get to the ground is just as important as you or me who (most likely) has to get in a car to get there. 

22k tickets sold to a major event - they will not call it off if they are physically and legally able to get the game on, as you’d expect.  

Individuals need to use their common sense in assessing whether they can reasonably travel safely to the game. If you can’t, stay home. 

Who said anything about any fan being more or less important than another? All fans are equally important.

If you arrange the game for another day, Mr Bloggs can still attend - and so can those who need to take the car. Very clearly the fairest solution.

1 minute ago, lenred said:

Fair play.  I have empathy with season ticket holders , indeed it's going to be a massive  chore for me to get there if there's is no public transport and I'd say that out of our group of 8 ST holders that 4 at least may not be able to attend at all. But it swings and roundabouts and some who can't go tomorrow will be able to go to a rearranged game and vice versa. But it's not the clubs fault. Their job is to put the game on safely.  It's then our decisions as grown adults to decide whether we feel it is safe to attend. 

I’m resigned to the fact that if the game is on there’s a good chance I’ll miss it.

However I completely accept that the club will do everything they can to get it on and won’t cancel unless no other choice and I think that’s fair. 

2 minutes ago, lenred said:

But with the busses not running and police advice to stay off the roads is a bit of a clue. 

6 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

not really, I have been asking for it to be called off and I don't  go

1 minute ago, ChippenhamRed said:

Who said anything about any fan being more or less important than another? All fans are equally important.

If you arrange the game for another day, Mr Bloggs can still attend - and so can those who need to take the car. Very clearly the fairest solution.

I think people underestimate the logistical headache of rearranging a game.

4 minutes ago, CotswoldRed said:

The gripe isn't so much about H&S - everyone knows whether they ought to travel or not.  It's about getting a fair number of people to the ground to enjoy the game.

I'll start - if it goes ahead I'm gonna guess 6,500 turn up.

Fair shout, I guess ultimately the club have to weigh up the effect do a greater attendance versus the effect of the baggage that comes with a postponement.  

2 minutes ago, italian dave said:

Surrounding areas are deemed safe......but that apparently doesn't include at least one of the club's own car parks, as Ashton school. Just had an e mail telling me it's closed tomorrow, no offer of an alternative, and no mention of a refund for the season ticket I've paid for.

Excellent point.

6 minutes ago, kivsy said:

But with the busses not running and police advice to stay off the roads is a bit of a clue. 

But the busses might be running? And police advice may change. And if neither of those things happen then you still have a choice to attend or not - presuming you're a grown up - if the game is on. 

Archived