IGNORED

Weather (Merged)

BcfcDuncs

3 minutes ago, RedorDead BCFC said:

How many of us on here today are now sat at home instead of being in work due to the weather? 

I am. Three feet of snow around my house and on the roads and I`m not anticipating being able to get out before Monday if then.

I am self employed and my VAT return needs doing though.:grr:

10 minutes ago, RedorDead BCFC said:

How many of us on here today are now sat at home instead of being in work due to the weather? 

Yep. Office got closed yesterday lunchtime.

If it doesn't improve from this I won't be going. It's bad enough getting out in traffic as it is, let alone with the snow about.

If it is on, it will be like Arsenal last night, official attendance of just under 60k but in reality there were about 25k there. Of course I love to see City but when it turns into a multi-hour pain in the arse to just get there and back, I'll have to give it a miss.

8 hours ago, Portland Bill said:

My work closed at 1pm today ( Bridgwater), I was on the 2-10 shift and had the day off with full pay!! Happy days!

We have approx 8-9 inches of snow outside, it’s still snowing and a lot more forecast for tomorrow.

There is absolutely no chance of me getting my car off my drive, let alone off of my estate to get to Bristol for Saturday’s game. The roads are snowbound.

Its the most snow we have had since about 1981, nearly 40 years!.

Wow.

That is something- 1981!

@Red DNA It's a shame about not being paid.

My post yesterday...was a bit premature in hindsight. In places like Canada, Germany, USA and the like it's in-built isn't it. They anticipate huge snow, so prepare accordingly.

Also my uncle told me that back in the day, they used to grit the roads and such...not just the roads but the paths too, like loads of them. Now? Councils are very strapped for cash so...

For the record I'm in work- and there only seem to be 5 of us one or two of the directors!

1 hour ago, Lord Northski said:

Half of the group I go with won’t be able to get to the game or won’t risk the journey. Don’t think anyone would fancy a trip down from Sheffield either. 

If it does go ahead, the ground will be empty with an official attendance of 17,000 

The reasonable thing would be to postpone now. 

Yes it would be easy to get the few to unite in a protest against ticketing changes 150 fans present and the press report 100% of the crowd protested !

45 minutes ago, RedorDead BCFC said:

And having to take a days holiday for the privilege, even though no reasonably sane person would be risking the journey.

I live 400 metres from my seat, and I don't even think I'd risk that journey at the moment. It would be extremely crass to put the game on if people can't attend due to travel issues/dangerous conditions and I'm think about the away support as well as anyone trying to travel from outside of the immediate environs on Ashton/Bemmy. 

1 hour ago, Lord Northski said:

Half of the group I go with won’t be able to get to the game or won’t risk the journey. Don’t think anyone would fancy a trip down from Sheffield either. 

If it does go ahead, the ground will be empty with an official attendance of 17,000 

The reasonable thing would be to postpone now. 

I note that the BBC football website reported an attendance at the Emirates of 58k last night ?

it looked at least half empty to me.

19 hours ago, Stoke_Gifford_Red said:

Some sports events are already being cancelled, including a few games on Saturday. 

I know our ground has the heated pitch etc, but the challenge will be the surrounding roads and pavements and with current forecasts I can't see it being deemed "safe" to proceed. 

If they move children and families to, say, Ashton Court that might alleviate the problem in the vicinity of the ground.

3 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Work update.

Directors apparently went to hotel for a long lunch yesterday and got pissed in the bar (booked a room in hotel).

Gone home after an hour, locked up downstairs...and not told us 6 saps upstairs. :laugh:

They'll expect you to work through the weekend and be bright and early for Monday morning.

28 minutes ago, Rich said:

They'll expect you to work through the weekend and be bright and early for Monday morning.

Well I'll stay here and do the work in the day today...that's what I'll do.

Weekend...unless strictly necessary no no no.

Besides which, I can walk to work and within reasonable walking distance (20 mins) so I don't really mind- easier to work at work than home anyway.

1 minute ago, Major Isewater said:

I always wonder in conditions like these how the hell the snow plough and gritting lorry drivers get from home to their depots .

:colder:

They wait for the "Snow Plough Plough" to go out before they do.  It's obvious isn't it?

BBC website seem to suggest we will get another 9 hours of snow today starting from 1pm.

You have to question the logic of holding off making a decision as to the game going ahead.

Guess though that the club don't make the decision and it's the police and some health and safety official who will make the call.

1 minute ago, Bristol Rob said:

BBC website seem to suggest we will get another 9 hours of snow today starting from 1pm.

You have to question the logic of holding off making a decision as to the game going ahead.

Guess though that the club don't make the decision and it's the police and some health and safety official who will make the call.

True.  They're gonna have to wait until this evening to see how bad it was.

15 minutes ago, Ciudad Bristol said:

Shef Utd game off, good result if we get the win tomorrow and they'll have a bit of fixture congestion later on

We won't be playing unless conditions vastly improve - which I doubt. I just walked through the south stand car park. Admittedly the level of snow is low (no drifting, it probably mostly blew away), but they'd need to clear the snow if they wanted to use it, and there's no particular sign of life down there. Approach roads are variable, and certainly only really walkable (if you're steady on your feet).

10 hours ago, ChippenhamRed said:

How old are you? I’m 34 and, like @MarcusX said above, I can’t recall many snow days quite like this. My daughter is 4.5 and this is the first time she’s seen proper snow at home.

So, yes, I’d say these days it is rare. And regardless of how common it is, does that mean everyone should just ignore the advice?

No idea what it's like in Chippenham, it's a few inches of snow in BS3, but no more than I've seen numerous times before, and I've seen it much worse. It is obviously more severe in some other areas of the country but mostly where they are more used to it, especially up North and Scotland which is widely featured on the news.

Imo, it's because London is unusually affected that it's become such big news.

It may not be an annual event here but it's hardly apocalyptic and will probably all be gone in a few days.

If your daughter hasn't seen proper snow before she'll no doubt be very excited as she looks out this morning, so if it's a rare event hopefully she'll be able to get out in the garden with her Dad and enjoy it. She won't forget her first snowman!

As for official advice and forecasts, of course they should be taken on board, but they usually cover wide areas, and include the worst possible scenario, so most people will note it but look out the window to see what the reality is where they live, and make up their own mind.

People shouldn't drive if they can avoid it, but that's obvious really and we shouldn't need official advice to realise that.

Archived