IGNORED

Our away support: some context/perspective

Jack Dawe

In 2015/16, we were the 13th best away support in the Championship (13/24).

And we were 6/24 for the most miles travelled to follow the team around the country all season. In other words, only 5 clubs had more hours on the road and miles to travel to follow their team than we did.

So, that's not bad going. It's okay. For a team struggling as we were in 2015/16.

This season, the last time I could find some stats (end of December) we were 12/24. And at a guess, we are still travelling more than most to follow our team away.

Some clubs - Brum, Brentford, a couple of others - have had deals with companies that lay on free coaches to midweek away games, something we haven't had. Indeed, we had Bristol Sport looking to charge a booking fee when buying coach travel at one point. 

I keep seeing posters on here slating our away support, falling into the trap of over-emphasising our lowest turnouts and then generalising our away support as "piss poor" when taken over the whole season it is very much "midtable." ie, not great, not poor. And given the miles we have to travel and the lack of incentives and freebies etc, and our lack of history (pretty much all the clubs with better away support are the big clubs with top flight histories more recent, and greater, than ours; and/or clubs having much better season than us and lots of local derbies) at this level or higher, our support is okay. We don't need to chastise ourselves for this.

Our away support - over a whole season - might not be what you'd love it to be ie like Leeds Utd, but it's okay. Midtable (that's midtable in the Championship, not poxy L1), 12/24. Not amazing, not "piss poor," but okay. It's worth remembering, we are a in a big pond, in the Championship. 

Labelling our away support as "piss poor" is echoing the Trumpian, alternative-fact/alternative reality Blue Few fake narrative, when the stats - ie the truth of the matter - reveal otherwise.

Also we have to consider:-

Derby huge game, Friday night on sky.

Leeds on sky, sunday

Bolton, Friday night on sky

QPR, reduced ticket allocation

Cardiff reduced ticket allocation.

If all above fixtures were Saturday with full allocation our away support average would be a couple of hundred more.

17 minutes ago, Red Derek said:

Leeds on sky, sunday

If all above fixtures were Saturday with full allocation our away support average would be a couple of hundred more.

Villa reduced allocation, Brum as well, Sheff u Friday nightSky

34 minutes ago, Red Derek said:

Leeds on sky, sunday

17 minutes ago, harrys said:

Villa reduced allocation, Brum as well, Sheff u Friday nightSky

The Sky things is worth bearing in mind if or when comparing to a L1 club's away support, should you ever find yourself doing so. Can't think why, but you just might.

However, lots of other Championship clubs are on Sky a lot like us, so they are in the same boat as us on that one.

The QPR and Cardiff restriction is almost unique to us though: many clubs are given top and bottom at QPr, but we are only allowed top. And Cardiff was similar. Good point.

57 minutes ago, Red Derek said:

Leeds on sky, sunday

Good post RD. It's a treat to see a newbie contributing in a constructive  manner.

I am surprised tho  that Jack obviously didn't take these facts into consideration.

"think before you post" is my mantra...........

3 hours ago, Jack Dawe said:

And we were 6/24 for the most miles travelled to follow the team around the country all season. In other words, only 5 clubs had more hours on the road and miles to travel to follow their team than we did.

So, that's not bad going. It's okay. For a team struggling as we were in 2015/16.

This season, the last time I could find some stats (end of December) we were 12/24. And at a guess, we are still travelling more than most to follow our team away.

Some clubs - Brum, Brentford, a couple of others - have had deals with companies that lay on free coaches to midweek away games, something we haven't had. Indeed, we had Bristol Sport looking to charge a booking fee when buying coach travel at one point. 

I keep seeing posters on here slating our away support, falling into the trap of over-emphasising our lowest turnouts and then generalising our away support as "piss poor" when taken over the whole season it is very much "midtable." ie, not great, not poor. And given the miles we have to travel and the lack of incentives and freebies etc, and our lack of history (pretty much all the clubs with better away support are the big clubs with top flight histories more recent, and greater, than ours; and/or clubs having much better season than us and lots of local derbies) at this level or higher, our support is okay. We don't need to chastise ourselves for this.

Our away support - over a whole season - might not be what you'd love it to be ie like Leeds Utd, but it's okay. Midtable (that's midtable in the Championship, not poxy L1), 12/24. Not amazing, not "piss poor," but okay. It's worth remembering, we are a in a big pond, in the Championship. 

Labelling our away support as "piss poor" is echoing the Trumpian, alternative-fact/alternative reality Blue Few fake narrative, when the stats - ie the truth of the matter - reveal otherwise.

I think we should praise anyone going to away games with the cost both in money terms and time. 

Some more "context" for the "Rovers would definitely take more" brigade amongst us:

Rovers were 8th in L1 (8/24) in February, for away support, trailing clubs like Plymouth, Oxford, Wigan and Rotherham. But just above Northampton and Southend. It's what they do - in League One.

So, Rovers would definitely take more than Southend, but probably not quite as many as Rotherham. 

Meanwhile, we don't take as many away as Aston Villa, Leeds Utd, Sheffield Wednesday, Wolves, Sunderland, Forest (our support is sh1te :sad26:Why did I start this thread? Sob.... )

4 hours ago, Jack Dawe said:

Where did you get your stats/figures from? i struggle to find away support statistics.

46 minutes ago, cityred exile said:

How many do we all reckon should be going to Barnsley ?    1000 + it should be ! bet anyone we don't take 700  that's a big let down !

600 sold so far, with a week to go and potd I reckon 1k will be manageable 

44 minutes ago, bobby kellard was go said:

Where did you get your stats/figures from? i struggle to find away support statistics.

We list our away crowds on the official site.

1 hour ago, cityred exile said:

How many do we all reckon should be going to Barnsley ?    1000 + it should be ! bet anyone we don't take 700  that's a big let down !

Are you new to watching City?

2 minutes ago, cityred exile said:

ST holder for more years than most on here     130 miles for me for home matches

In all your years of supporting City when have we ever had home and away crowds that match those of the big clubs in this division?

Im talking clubs like Leeds, Sheff Weds, Derby etc?

3 minutes ago, Peter O Hanraha-hanrahan said:

In all your years of supporting City when have we ever had home and away crowds that match those of the big clubs in this division?

Im talking clubs like Leeds, Sheff Weds, Derby etc?

I cant see what you are getting at  But thoseclubs aside  except Derby  ,  there really is no excuse  for our numbers going away    In any case why did we take 1700 to burton the other week ?

Quick calculation.

We are currently averaging 1253 on the road this season in the League.

That’s despite having a restricted ticket allocation for our closest away game (Cardiff), 2 London games in midweek plus another 2 days before Christmas (QPR, also with a restricted allocation).

Villa only gave us 2000 odd tickets which we sold out.

We’ve also had away games at Derby, Sheff Utd and Bolton moved to Friday nights for Sky and Leeds moved to a Sunday for the same reason. Going by previous visits to these grounds we would have easily doubled our attendances for these games had they been on a Saturday.

Norwich and Ipswich we don’t usually travel well to and we didn’t this season, taking 600+ to each. 

Preston on a Tuesday night was also going to attract a smaller following although the Gas only managed 2 more this afternoon at Posh.

We are a mid table Championship club on and off the pitch. Historically that seems to be where we belong. We don’t have the top flight history of clubs like Leeds, Sheff Weds, Aston Villa etc and unlike them we aren’t based in the Midlands, making most of their away trips closer.

Nothing wrong with our away support in general.

10 minutes ago, cityred exile said:

I cant see what you are getting at  But thoseclubs aside  except Derby  ,  there really is no excuse  for our numbers going away    In any case why did we take 1700 to burton the other week ?

What I’m getting at is that you seem to be expecting us to travel in the same numbers as those clubs even though we haven’t done so in the past.

I don’t understand your question, why did we take 1700 to Burton the other week?

I guess because that’s the number of tickets we sold? 

What the hell are you talking about?

We are averaging over 1200 away this season (read my long post above). Under the circumstances of games being moved for Sky, restricted allocations and games like Fulham in midweek (also selling out Brentford on a Tuesday night), I don’t think that’s anything to be ashamed about...

4 minutes ago, Peter O Hanraha-hanrahan said:

Quick calculation.

We are currently averaging 1253 on the road this season in the League.

That’s despite having a restricted ticket allocation for our closest away game (Cardiff), 2 London games in midweek plus another 2 days before Christmas (QPR, also with a restricted allocation).

Villa only gave us 2000 odd tickets which we sold out.

We’ve also had away games at Derby, Sheff Utd and Bolton moved to Friday nights for Sky and Leeds moved to a Sunday for the same reason. Going by previous visits to these grounds we would have easily doubled our attendances for these games had they been on a Saturday.

Norwich and Ipswich we don’t usually travel well to and we didn’t this season, taking 600+ to each. 

Preston on a Tuesday night was also going to attract a smaller following although the Gas only managed 2 more this afternoon at Posh.

We are a mid table Championship club on and off the pitch. Historically that seems to be where we belong. We don’t have the top flight history of clubs like Leeds, Sheff Weds, Aston Villa etc and unlike them we aren’t based in the Midlands, making most of their away trips closer.

Nothing wrong with our away support in general.

Your argument falls down  with the two East Anglia clubs   Both are mid table clubs that brought 1000 + to Ashton gate  one (Norwich ) mid week !     We take 1250 over both our visits to Anglia ! So as I quoted earlier  there is no reason why we should not be taking four figures on Friday

Our numbers "going away" are 12th highest in a league of 24 clubs, with those "going away" with more than us including "the likes of" Leeds Utd, Aston Villa, Sheffields Weds and Utd, Wolves, Nottm Forest, Sunderland, Derby County, Birmingham and Middlesbrough. Of those clubs, only Middlesbrough and Sunderland  have to travel more miles than us to see their away games.

All those clubs are "bigger" than Bournemouth, Huddersfield, Swansea, Watford, Burnley and at least as big as a few more PL clubs.

5 minutes ago, cityred exile said:

Your argument falls down  with the two East Anglia clubs   Both are mid table clubs that brought 1000 + to Ashton gate  one (Norwich ) mid week !     We take 1250 over both our visits to Anglia ! So as I quoted earlier  there is no reason why we should not be taking four figures on Friday

They didn't build that level of support overnight, or by pissing about in L1 for forty years like we have done. Have you not noticed how tinpot and sh1te we have been on the pitch over the last 40 years compared to those two?

5 minutes ago, cityred exile said:

Maybe because both ipswich and Norwich are much bigger clubs than us, who have both played in Europe and have multiple years of premier league football between them. 

It will take a while before we can compete with them away crowd wise but before we do our away average is very good for the size of our club

2 minutes ago, cityred exile said:

No it doesn’t.

The reason why I mentioned Ipswich and Norwich is because we rarely travel particularly well to those two clubs, therefore 6-700 seems to be the norm, even on a Saturday. Traditionally there are places we always go in big numbers and other places we don’t travel so well to...East Anglia and Barnsley fall into the latter category.

Im not saying we shouldn’t or couldn’t take over 1k to Barnsley on Friday, Im saying that if you suddenly expect us to go everywhere in mobs of 2-3k like Leeds, Weds, Villa etc then you are living in cloud cuckoo land.

Our away support is poor if you compare it to the bigger clubs in the division is Wednesday, Norwich, Wolves, Leeds etc.. but then those clubs have had sustained periods of success which have allowed them to pick up a bigger following. This has never happened at City so why should we judge ourselves by their standards? 

• Admin

I’d be interested to find out how away followings stack up to those of 30 years ago.  I can recall when whether it was football, fishing or whatever sport took a blokes fancy, he went and did it and if it took him out the house from early in the morning until the pub chucked out, then so be it.  I definitely think that attitudes have changed and many blokes don’t, either through choice, or by the thumbprint, do that anymore.  5 hours out of the day (as the vast majority don’t travel more than an hour each way) is seen as OK, but a whole day away every other Saturday, especially as many work weekends/ shifts now, is seen as unacceptable ( either by the other half, or the modern man himself.....).

Archived