IGNORED

The Barnsley v Bristol City Match Day Thread 39

Great to rescue a point, but make no mistake Barnsley are a poor side and we should have been looking for all 3 points today.

Poor initial team selection, dropping Kelly, should have had Bryan LM instead of Pato who really has not had one decent league game in 2018.

Shocking 2nd sub decision, Fammy has been poor all game aside from beautifully taken goal, he should have come off for Djuric and Reid left up front.

Kent was awful, gave the ball away constantly often leading to attacks by them.

LJ seems to have lost all common sense since we went out of the cup, 3 wins in 15 is relegation form.

• Like 2
2 minutes ago, MC RISK77 said:

A Barnsley team fighting for their lives...whose barometer are you using to say it is unacceptable?

Maybe the wrong choice of words to describe the frustration that when a team that have played so promosingly in the early season put themselves in a position where promotion is a possibility then come up against a team struggling we can't play well or beat them (unlike Cardiff against Burton today). I guess if teams are good enough to go up they need to put in a more positive performance against those struggling and it certainly didn't sound good today.

3 minutes ago, Ivorguy said:

The question still remains, in fact is underlined by today's draw, as to why our season has collapsed.  Added to last season's record worst run there are serious questions for the coaching staff to answer.  Unless those questions can be answered then there will inevitably be problems continuing into the future.

Collapsed? We’re level on points with 5th place and still have a very realistic chance of making the play offs. 3 defeats in the last 12 games and unbeaten in five at home.

Not pretending for one second we are hitting the heights we were pre-Christmas, but would it kill you to find something a bit more balanced to say?

• Like 4
5 minutes ago, Loco Rojo said:

Got to agree with you. A draw or a win today cannot hide how inconsistent and at the poor end of the scale this team are at present. We will get better but I don't know what it'll take to do that - although I do believe LJ and co are the right people to do it.

We aren't good enough to go up based in this form though and don't deserve to make the playoffs.

Yes we aren't good enough to go up, but if we did manage it even if we only stay up for one season. look at the parachute payments the club will get. This gives us another chance of getting into the Prem again and possibly staying there,  just like Burnley have.

5 minutes ago, RumRed said:

Oh ffs, they are down there for a reason.  This whole fighting for their lives thing is bullshit, why arent we fighting for the prem?  

We are one point off the playoffs we came from behind twice we are clearly still fighting...amount wetting the bed on here is frightening.

Well in my humble opinion, we got away with that one, we were mainly abject today in what has mainly been an abject 3 months.

LJ who sometimes seems be beyond criticism got pretty much everything wrong today.

Team selection, it was always going to be physical game and he played Paterson who is the softest player on the books and in the middle of a shocking run of form, he leaves out Kelly who had looked solid and replaces him with Bryan who has been struggling for form at left back for a while now, when I would have thought that playing Bryan in a midfield would have been a wiser option.

Substitutes, having made the decision to play Paterson, he takes him off and then inflicts Kent upon us, whose first 4 actions were to give 2 passes away leaving us chasing breakaways and then 2 more passes straight into touch. Kent has been a shocking and unnecessary signing. Djuric for Pack was simply ridiculous, we had a point and he decides to chase the game for all 3 points and it nearly cost us the game.

We got into some very good crossing positions today but our crossing especially when we have time to pick somebody out is aimless.

A point is a point and it’s to our credit that as always we kept going but it has to be said we were lucky in so many ways today, with all of the above and Wright lucky not to have been sent off.

LJ you need to up your game, you got it wrong today.

Edited by Esmond Million's Bung
  • Like 3
7 minutes ago, Northern Red said:

Most would have taken it before the start of the season, certainly.

Please , please , please , for pity's sake , of course we would but we were second at one stage and have been in the top six for most of the season but are you saying that we should all be happy as we slowly sink down the League ?

Unless something changes dramatically , which it must , we will struggle next season.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
2 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

Did I say he hadn’t? 12 months ago we were close to relegation so my point still stands.

Under him

After numerous players brought in

You are twisting the facts to suit

Setting results aside have you actually seen our ‘performances’ since Christmas .?

Edited by BobBobSuperBob
  • Like 1
Just now, ChippenhamRed said:

Collapsed? We’re level on points with 5th place and still have a very realistic chance of making the play offs. 3 defeats in the last 12 games and unbeaten in five at home.

Not pretending for one second we are hitting the heights we were pre-Christmas, but would it kill you to find something a bit more balanced to say?

Do you truly believe all is well after two seasons where we have hit relegation form for a long period of the season?  Will our luck hold for a third season?  History sadly suggests it won't.  

My point is that LJ and his staff have to up their game before the first game in the autumn.  Not necessarily promotion, although that was the target LJ set himself on arrival, but a balanced season ending mid table would do me.